YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

jumpy and fun
Assistant Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 6, 2016
A typical day at work always involved playing and jumping around with children.Shouting all the time but it was fun.I learned different cultures and how to handle children.The management was pretty good.My co-workers were really good and appreciate working with them because we agreed the same thing most times.I didn't find the job hard because i enjoy working with children and seeing them happy.The most enjoyable part was going swimming and playing with children which always made me happy.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Long hpurs
Great job
Membership Services Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Great work atmosphere at any YMCA front desk. Lots of experience and training provided. Lots of friendly members and participants to build connections with
Pros
Free membership, yearly wage raises, friendly staff & members
Cons
Long hours, weekend shifts, not much room for career advancement
Lots of politics to deal with!
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 26, 2015
I worked here for a LONG time, and regret it!
If you want to deal with games and politics this is the place for you...most management need training on ppl skills
Staff are burnt out and crying out for a change but are overlooked in favour of the ppl that snitch and kiss up.
The only good thing is the great families and children you work with, some loyal and great staff and the benefits package is the best I've seen in the last 4 companies I've worked for.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Negative management, lots of politics and favouritism, lack of training for new staff
Energetic workplace lots of responsibiltiy
Facilitator (Beyond the bell) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, SCTSeptember 17, 2015
Typical day , getting there early preparing the kids' snacks around 2:30 when they arrive around 3:00 have them wash their hands and then they have their snack. Run planned activities with them ect... , until their parents arrive around 5:00

The great part, was that i learned how to work with children and i was trained while doing so . and how to be a little more creative when i needed to come up with and plan activities. Management was pretty helpful , co-workers were all very pleasant. Hardest part(s) of the job dealing with belligerent children and planning activities.

Most enjoyable , hearing that the kids actually like you !
Pros
Training before and between work.
Cons
Long hours on feet, demanding and lots of responsibility.
Great place to work. Friendly staff, they make you feel like family.
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBNovember 30, 2015
A typical day at work, was coming in a few minutes early to check the communication binder. To see if there was any new information that I needed to know. I have learned many new skills working with this company. Such as patients, listening and communication skills, time management, budgeting, multitasking just to name a few. Also worked with children with varying needs and abilities. My coworkers were friendly and easy to work with. The same with the management if you ever had a question they were there with the door open to help you out in whatever way they could. The hardest part was dealing with sensitive information. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the public and the children.
Pros
Loved the work I was doing.
Cons
Part time hours. Hours varied week to week
Stepping stones for a bright future
Pre-school Instructor-Genesis Centre (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work involves a 3 hour class with energetic and keen youngsters. I enjoy meeting each and every student as they greet me when they arrive and are eager to learn and interact in activities with one another. I enjoy working along my co-workers who are from different cultures and backgrounds. This provides a multi-cultural experience while enhancing the social, emotional and cognitive knowledge of our diverse little ones.
Great place to work!
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
I had the best experience ever working at the Y Ellwood location in Edmonton. They are absolutely the best people to work with. Everyone was so warm and friendly. They were also very supportive especially the director. Super awesome team. I work work there again in a heartbeat if I didn't have to re-locate to another province. Team work made the dream work at this location for sure.
Pros
Management very supportive
Cons
None!
Made alot friends co-workers and members alike
Housekeeping & Facilities (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 1, 2015
It was mostly cleaning but I did laundry as well. I learned to be more like myself than pretend to be somebody im not management for the most part was decent co-workers were awesome made a lot of friends the hardest part was dealing day to day issues it was never same.
Pros
hanging with the members
Cons
salary was not up to par
Productive and fun place to work with kids
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 9, 2015
A typical day at work included running "ice breakers" with you campers to help them familiarize with each other and find similar interests as well as make friends. As the day proceeded, you would run active and passive games with campers to keep them entertained and active making sure to include regular water and snack and lunch breaks. At the end of the day the counsellor with ask for feedback on how each campers day was and what games and activities the campers preferred. Campers would then be handed over to parents for pickup
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Salary
Positive work environment with learning opportunities daily
Aquatic Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKOctober 26, 2015
The YMCA is a social, positive place to work with opportunity to progress within. The pay is not quite on par with the amount of training, courses, and dedication required to teach swimming lessons for ages 3 to 13. The job is rewarding enough in itself to keep staff motivated without opportunity for promotion. If one enjoys working with children, ever day is a new challenge and fulfilling reward through teaching a valuable life skill to those who want to learn. It is a rich environment for bacteria and flu to spread from being in and out of the water throughout the day and being constantly cold and wet. The lesson blocks could be scheduled more effectively to fix this problem. Although the turnover of instructors and lifeguards is high it creates an opportunity to work with many different people and gain experience working with every different kind of personality.
Pros
Good work environment, emotionally rewarding
Cons
Minimum wage, not a lot of opportunity for financial growth
A fun and gratifying place to work
Welcome Center (Current Employee) –  Whittier, MBJanuary 6, 2016
Working at the YMCA is a great place because of the culture of the organization. A typical day is anything but typical since I believe we are enriching lives and building the health of our community daily through promoting healthy living.
At the YMCA I have learned the importance of a healthy family, a healthy lifestyle and a healthy community and how creating a positive and nurturing environment for our members is essential for the over all growth of the organization and our community members. At the YMCA we treat all members with dignity and respect and we practice that commitment to service with one another as well.
At the YMCA, I have the opportunity to work alongside upper management, personal trainers and even engage with our CEO. My experience with management has been above par and I always feel like I am important to the team. One of the best aspects of working alongside management is being able to learn from their best practices, especially how they model dealing with sensitive situations.
The most difficult part of the job is dealing with members who are experiencing financial distress and hardships and who are then unable to afford their monthly membership. I have learned the importance of empathy and have had multiple opportunities to practice this skill while working with and for our members to find a solution that fits their financial needs in order for them to keep their membership. Being able to help people in distress and/or finding solutions to problems is the most enjoyable part of the job. We are not just a gym, we are a family where membership
  more... means helping, encouraging and supporting each other.  less
Pros
Meeting like-minded ambitious people
Cons
Full time not available
Fun, community involved organization
Rise and Shine Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 18, 2016
I spend two hours every Friday in the Rise and Shine program, playing games with children, assisting them with their snacks, and helping with cleanup.
I have learned a lot about how young children think and play, and also how to tend to their needs as many do not speak English.
This is also the hardest part of the job, as it is a struggle when you cannot provide exactly what children need because they cannot articulate their thoughts. It is very rewarding on the other hand to see children learning to cooperate with one another and make friends at such a young age.
Pros
experience for my education, work connections, new friendships
Cons
difficulty understanding some kids
Some nice Members and a few nice staff
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
I was a Volunteer for a long time here. Biggest mistake of my life.
There's too much Politics, favouritism, and games for my liking.
If you want to be used, lied to, stabbed in the back, sabotaged then this is the place for you. There are too many snitches among Staff, Volunteers, and Members. Some Members and some Staff are great.
They got free labour out of me.
Pros
Some Staff are nice and some Members
Cons
Politics, favourtism, games, backstabbing, lies, bullying
Boring
Early Childhood Educator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2016
Not a good job. Very disrespectful management and supervisor team. The pay is horrible and there is not appreciation for the staff and all the work that they do. Seriously over worked and under paid.
Pros
Great kids and families
Cons
Horrible pay
enjoy working in a good environment like YMCA
teacher (Former Employee) –  230 town centre courtJanuary 12, 2016
really enjoy working with children. like to do different activities with them. working management is so friendly. everyday learning something new in every aspect. co-workers are very co-operative. sometimes dealing with kids kind of challenging.
Unproductive - A great deal of miscommunication
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Goderich, ONJanuary 30, 2016
Lifeguarding
High Turnover
Understaffed - putting lifeguards in a high risk situation
Lack of direction from supervisors and management staff
Enjoy working with members of the community and general public
Fun and learning experience
Part-time Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 19, 2016
Prepare necessary equipment needed at the start of the shift. Make sure that the fitness centre and the building is clean and people are satisfied with the environment. Communicate with other staff about their needs for supplies. Maintain the tidiness of the building throughout the day and all equipment are put away at the end of the day. Thoroughly clean washrooms, and locker rooms before end of shift and ready for the next shift to arrive. Co-workers were fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers complements of the clean environment.
Enjoyabe environment to work in
Teaching/ECE assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 28, 2016
Loved my time spent at The YMCA of Western, and everyone I worked with. Everyday was enjoyable, interesting, and a new learning experience for me.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Love coming to work, really supportive and fun!
Full Day Kindergarten Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
Really great place to work because everyone is really supportive and encouraging. There is a lot of room for personal creativity during program at the YMCA and the children give a lot of input. Hardest part of the job would be the amount of paperwork there is daily and overall on a yearly level. It is licenced by the Ministry of Education so there is a lot to be on top of in terms of accountability etc. Love coming to work every single day because it doesn't often feel like work.
Pros
Constant Support
Cons
Split Shifts/ 25 Hours a Week
Best Work Enviornment Ever
Martial Arts Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Working at the YMCA has in short, changed my life. It has provided me an opportunity to do something fun, exciting and challenging while also giving back to the community. The staff at the YMCA are incredible, they always give me a lot of motivation, support and really make me feel like I belong. As a martial arts instructor, a lot of people are looking up to you and depending on you. I consider myself to be a good leader, I enjoy what I do, I enjoy teaching students and providing them with help and it gives me incredible pride and joy when I see students that I personally coach achieve their goals.
Pros
Become phyiscally, mentally and spiritually stronger.
Cons
Endless exercise and training