YMCA

YMCA Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun to go at YMCA
Peer Teacher (Former Employee), MississaugaSeptember 10, 2014
Taut variety of indoor and outdoor recreational sports. Management was organized, and coworkers were also helpful and cooperative. Hardest part of the job was keeping children on tasks. Teaching them basic sports skills for soccer or football. Most enjoyable part was we played sports ourselves in the end.
Overall great place to train
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: very pleasant team to work with
I enjoyed training with the staff at YMCA and I learned a lot
from them as far as administrative work is concerned.
Productive Environment
YLD Youth Advisor/Human Resource Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2014
Everybody's really friendly and willing to help if you need it
Great Experience Working with Children and being creative
Program Specialist/Head Counsellor (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: getting to do all activities for free
Cons: pay isnt good enough for the hours/job demand
I love working with the kids all day, it makes all my education worth while because I get to see what it does to help the kids. The team of supervisors and other staff are so supportive and are always willing to help. The hardest part of the job is leaving, because I want to work with children all the time. In turn it makes it the most enjoyable part – more... is watching the children grow and take what you teach them to heart and listen to their inspirations and aspirations. – less
Bridging the Gap pre-employment program
Program Participant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2014
Pros: free ymca membership
A typical day in this program would be taking workshops almost all day, everyday. Some days we have guest speakers, job fairs, job searching, and we will soon be taking First Aid and WHMIS. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we are able to work out at the Don Wheaton centre. Program facilitators are supportive and fun to work with. There is no hard part of this – more... job, and everything is enjoyable. – less
Awesome place to work, very low pay
front desk leader (Former Employee), EdmontonAugust 25, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: boring long hours of doing absolutely nothing.
Fantastic company to work for, but expect little to no advancement once you hold a position in it.
Staff are awesome, pay not so much.
Membership Representative-Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONAugust 20, 2014
Pros: supportive colleagues, free membership
Cons: pay
The people you work with are great and so are all the people you get to meet. It is not somewhere you can advance career wise (at least within a reasonable amount of time) and the pay is not competitive.

I spend most of my day completing tasks of my department as well as others. It is a constant "go-go" atmosphere. I have learned a lot about what it – more... takes to be a part of and run a department but have not been able to grow with what I have learned. The most enjoyable part about the job are the members you get to meet and speak with on a regular basis. – less
Great experience
Lifeguard and swimming instructor (Former Employee), London OntarioAugust 19, 2014
Pros: free membership
Cons: early start times, but not too often.
Enjoyed supervising pool activities, teaching children to swim and overall environment with fellow lifeguards.
comfortable environment
Employment Resources Counsellor (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONAugust 14, 2014
Fun workplace that allowsm room for growth, co workers ane helpful which makes the environment welcoming and comfortable
YMCA
Cleaner (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2014
Working ymca is great, i get to meet new people each day. My staff is what i enjoy most of my work. I have team that i can always rely on.
I worked as a Lifeguard at the YMCA.
Program Specialist and Lifeguard (Former Employee), Missouri, ONAugust 5, 2014
Pros: free food, free accommodation, nice people
Cons: long hours, boring work
Working as a Lifeguard wasn't very challenging or fun work, but all the people were lovely.
great work place.
lifeguard (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONAugust 3, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: long standing times, not alot of hours
walk in , set up lane ropes, take care of pool tests, watch kids open swims, school lessons, community leassons, adult lessons, wash pool deck,.
Counsellor
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONJuly 23, 2014
Pros: outside
Cons: pay
get the kids ready in the group make sure everyone is together and start doing activities throughout the day.
loved working at the YMCA cause we were outside and enjoying the outside with the kids doing activities.
Hardest part was trying to figure out different activities everyday so they don't do the same ones.
Teamwork is important
CYF- Child, Youth & Family Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2014
I am learning how to work with children.
YMCA Delivers programs in manner in which the mission values, goals and practices of the YMCA are being met, while
building a positive relationship
 Ensures that children, ages 6-18, have a positive experience leading to personal growth through fun and rewarding
recreation and sport programs.
 Takes action – more... to ensure that the principles of Healthy Child Development and the Children’s Services standards are
practiced in the delivery and planning of all children’s program – less
I enjoy working with people from different background
School Age Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 9, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: non
fun workplace, Encouragement, Friendly environment and staff, working with children and divers culture.
Fun place!!!
Childcare Assistant- Practicum Placement (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 3, 2014
Pros: the kids, directors...very nice, easy going people
Cons: too short of a placement.. :(
I did my practicum in the daycare and really enjoyed it. It was a great group of little ones, funny, energetic, etc...
The directors were amazing people, would have loved to have had the chance to work with them longer than the 2 1/2 months I was there. The staff, for the most part, were easy to get along with however, some of them didn't make me feel – more... very comfortable for the first little while that I was there. The ones who did, I miss greatly!!!
I left compensation/benefits part empty on the ratings only due to the fact that it was not a paid position.

All in all, a very pleasant place to work. – less
It was fun and great meeting people.
Youth Exchange Program (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2014
Pros: we had everything provided for us for just a small fee.
Cons: was a little home sick.
I enjoyed the YMCA Youth Exchange Program because you get to meet new people, you get to travel for a small fee , you get to explore somewhere totally different from where you're used to and learn about the history of that place.
Great work, not enough stable hours
Supply Teacher (Current Employee), Brantford, ONJune 24, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: no routine
No stable hours, on call or covering vacation. Company is AMAZING and fantastic to work for just hoping to find a job that is more consistent.
Amazing atmosphere
Counsellor (Former Employee), Saanichton, BCJune 23, 2014
Wake up take care of children. Go kayaking, do archery, go canoeing, walk in the woods, maybe arts and craft. If on maintenance: clean thins like outhouses, clear brush from trails, weed garden.
good learning experience helped me mature as a student
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee), Pickering,ONJune 18, 2014
Pros: free snacks
Cons: a little disorganized hectic.
I helped manage, and organize fundraising events for the city of Pickering. We eventually managed to put together a winter fundraiser, that donated money to the sick kids foundation.

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more