YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace educating and entertaining children
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work includes activity planning, arts and crafts. As well as supervising children while on class trips. I have learned that I enjoy working with children very much and it is a job placement I would consider in the future again. My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their presence. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children, it was a very fun environment to be in and I overall loved the job.
Wonderful environment for supporting children's growth
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee), Port Perry, ONApril 17, 2016
Pros: Working with children
Cons: Split shifts
Programming for the YMCA is a lot of fun because it requires creativity and is based on children's existing interests. Management and co-workers are supportive of new staff and a wealth of information regarding resources. The most enjoyable part of the job is observing and playing with the children when they are engaged in learning; however, the hardest part of the job is dealing with behavioural challenges in the group.
YMCA is a great place to work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Cobourg, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros: Great community, flexible hours.
Cons: Working by yourself at times.
YMCA is great as they try to meet your needs to have you meet the clients.
I usually guard and then instruct. I get to work with other great individuals. I have learned much patience and different ways of teaching so that I am able to meet the needs of the children and teenagers I teach.
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and seeing the individuals I have taught succeed.
Fun and learning experience
Part-time Maintenance (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 19, 2016
Prepare necessary equipment needed at the start of the shift. Make sure that the fitness centre and the building is clean and people are satisfied with the environment. Communicate with other staff about their needs for supplies. Maintain the tidiness of the building throughout the day and all equipment are put away at the end of the day. Thoroughly clean washrooms, and locker rooms before end of shift and ready for the next shift to arrive. Co-workers were fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers complements of the clean environment.
Love coming to work, really supportive and fun!
Full Day Kindergarten Supervisor (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: Constant Support
Cons: Split Shifts/ 25 Hours a Week
Really great place to work because everyone is really supportive and encouraging. There is a lot of room for personal creativity during program at the YMCA and the children give a lot of input. Hardest part of the job would be the amount of paperwork there is daily and overall on a yearly level. It is licenced by the Ministry of Education so there is a lot to be on top of in terms of accountability etc. Love coming to work every single day because it doesn't often feel like work.
Stepping stones for a bright future
Pre-school Instructor-Genesis Centre (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work involves a 3 hour class with energetic and keen youngsters. I enjoy meeting each and every student as they greet me when they arrive and are eager to learn and interact in activities with one another. I enjoy working along my co-workers who are from different cultures and backgrounds. This provides a multi-cultural experience while enhancing the social, emotional and cognitive knowledge of our diverse little ones.
jumpy and fun
Assistant Camp counselor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 6, 2016
Pros: Free gym membership
Cons: Long hpurs
A typical day at work always involved playing and jumping around with children.Shouting all the time but it was fun.I learned different cultures and how to handle children.The management was pretty good.My co-workers were really good and appreciate working with them because we agreed the same thing most times.I didn't find the job hard because i enjoy working with children and seeing them happy.The most enjoyable part was going swimming and playing with children which always made me happy.
Great place to work!
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
Pros: Management very supportive
Cons: None!
I had the best experience ever working at the Y Ellwood location in Edmonton. They are absolutely the best people to work with. Everyone was so warm and friendly. They were also very supportive especially the director. Super awesome team. I work work there again in a heartbeat if I didn't have to re-locate to another province. Team work made the dream work at this location for sure.
Very fun and productive kept you on your toes
Junior Counsellor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Energizing
I thought this was a great job experience and taught me a lot of new things. It was a great way to spend my summer. The kids were very fun to be around and very polite the activities were a great way to help really interact with the kids. It was a very warm and welcoming place to be, also it was a location close to home so I didn't mind it. The hours weren't long it was a great way to spend my day.
Fun, community involved organization
Rise and Shine Volunteer (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: experience for my education, work connections, new friendships
Cons: difficulty understanding some kids
I spend two hours every Friday in the Rise and Shine program, playing games with children, assisting them with their snacks, and helping with cleanup.
I have learned a lot about how young children think and play, and also how to tend to their needs as many do not speak English.
This is also the hardest part of the job, as it is a struggle when you cannot provide exactly what children need because they cannot articulate their thoughts. It is very rewarding on the other hand to see children learning to cooperate with one another and make friends at such a young age.
Professional and friendly place to work.
Lifeguard (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Pros: Free membership to YMCAs
Cons: Not enough hours available.
Typical shift consists of getting your first aid and rescue equipment ready and after you walk around the pool deck while scanning. I learned how to chemically test the chlorine, Ph, etc. levels of the water, as well as many other tasks which enhanced my knowledge and skills of the pool and how to maintain it.
YMCA serves people of all ages, background and ailities through all stages of life.
Customer Service Representative (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
It was a volunteer work. I used to interact and engage with members and prospects to determine needs; assist member on-boarding, handle member's general inquiries and questions, gather information, prepare member records, and issues membership ID cards.
Best Work Enviornment Ever
Martial Arts Instructor (Current Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Become phyiscally, mentally and spiritually stronger.
Cons: Endless exercise and training
Working at the YMCA has in short, changed my life. It has provided me an opportunity to do something fun, exciting and challenging while also giving back to the community. The staff at the YMCA are incredible, they always give me a lot of motivation, support and really make me feel like I belong. As a martial arts instructor, a lot of people are looking up to you and depending on you. I consider myself to be a good leader, I enjoy what I do, I enjoy teaching students and providing them with help and it gives me incredible pride and joy when I see students that I personally coach achieve their goals.
fitness
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee), Kingston, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: good until you find a better job plus free membership thats it
Cons: too many to mention
machines are old and dirty alot of high dust new supervisor dont know his job . most staff is great management not so much plus they take penion plan out even if you dont want it which is wrong 0.36 raise in 5 years please management gets theres tho cheers
Most rewarding job I've ever had.
Child Day Care Assistant (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: Educational, loving, and diverse environment.
Cons: No cons.
As I stated in my summary, working for the YMCA was very rewarding, in the sense that I was able to work with such an amazing group of children, meet incredible parents, while working with extremely hard-working and intelligent co-workers.
Great development opportunities
Supervisor/Education/Community Programmer (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 3, 2016
I learned a lot throughout my time at the YMCA. The provided great training and development programs, and ensured you were ready for your position. The various training sessions, development sessions and encouragement by managers and coaches was fantastic.
Good place
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Rockland, ONApril 23, 2016
Pros: Coworker are there for you
Cons: Low paid, lifeguard by yourself
Great place to work, great coworker. You learn well how to have confidence in yourself. Do not required you a lot of qualifications other that the requirement to become a lifeguard and have their own instructor course.
Great Environment
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 21, 2015
Pros: Playing Sports on the job
I absolutely loved the volunteer placement at the YMCA the environment was great the work i was doing wit the kids was enjoyable the hardest part of the job was the transportation of getting there other then that there really was nothing wrong. In the placement where I was I had one co-worker and he was a real help.
I have learned how to work well with kids and developed a real liking to them.
voluntary position mentoring of children
Youth Counsellor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
Pros: making a difference and experience the results of my own creation
Cons: cannot help everyone
most rewarding job, mentoring young minds and making a difference in others lives by leading by example and proving jobs and educational opportunity.
Great job
Membership Services Team Leader (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Pros: Free membership, yearly wage raises, friendly staff & members
Cons: Long hours, weekend shifts, not much room for career advancement
Great work atmosphere at any YMCA front desk. Lots of experience and training provided. Lots of friendly members and participants to build connections with
Headquarters