YMCA
3,807 reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very Accepting
Instructor/Guard/ Aquafit Instructor (Former Employee), London OntarioJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Free gym membership
Cons: Long hours, pool deck heat
The YMCA was my home for 4 years. It was truly the most perfect place to work my first job.

A typical day at work involved teaching people young and old the basics of swimming. People of all ethnicity and religions.

Each day I was able to speak to patrons and learn so much about them. I was able to become close with so many wonderful people. It was so perfectly amazing, and I was so incredibly happy to be able to communicate with people on a daily basis.

I could not have asked for more fantastic co-workers while I worked at the YMCA. They truly became my family, every single one of them. I could go to them for help and advice. My senior co-workers helped me to progress and further advance myself in the workplace. They helped me to get over many bumps I had along the way, and to better myself as an employee.

The first 2 years management was fantastic. If i ever had a problem, my manager was right there to help me through it. With no judgement, only support.

But sadly management changed, and the support system became very strained. The support seemed to no longer be there. I started feeling judged and ridiculed if I ever came to anybody with a problem or a suggestion.

In the end, the management was my reason for resigning my position.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing members progress with their swimming/ fitness skills. Having people thank me for changing their lives for the better and helping them become healthier in their lives. Was so incredibly rewarding.
YMCA
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 24, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: not alot of hours
awsome place to work everyone is very nice even management and the best part of the job was helping people and making them feel goo about there self and the co-workers were awsome to work with
Great place to work, friendly staff
Wellness Coach (Former Employee), Lambton Shores, ONJuly 22, 2015
I very much so enjoyed working at the YMCA, getting up at 5am to open up the gym was no big deal because of the atmosphere your co-workers brought to the table.
YMCA Canada
Camp counsellor (Former Employee), Exshaw, ABJuly 20, 2015
Overall an awesome thriving environment that provides so much for communities. From city day camps, gyms, swimming, assistance and amazing camps world wide it is a very well known solid foundation in many communities worldwide.
Great volunteer experience!
Health and Fitness - Adults Program Assistant (Former Employee), ScarboroughJune 20, 2015
As a volunteer, I was helping in the fitness area to be properly set and clean, and to provide information to clients and staff. My responsibility was to check if everything is in place for the best clients' experience in the gym.
Great people working with a lot of amazing kids
Support Assistant (Current Employee), Oakville, ONJune 19, 2015
Pros: relaxed environment
I come to work everyday, and get to hang out with smart kids and watch them learn and grow. My co workers and I provide a safe environment for the kids to play outside, teach them about teamwork and cooperation. We also provide them with a healthy snack and free play in the class room until their guardians pick them up.
productive and fun workplace. great people
Co-op student (Former Employee), 500 durry lane burlingtonJune 10, 2015
Pros: working with children
Cons: no complaints
on Wednesdays I ran a child program from 8 am till 12 it was the highlight of my week I love working with children and being around people.
LOVED my job
Youth Programmer (Former Employee), Sault Ste. MarieJune 8, 2015
Pros: Children, People, Flexible, Input Welcome
Cons: Hours, Youth Program Cuts, Lay-offs
Working with children is the best part of the job. I enjoyed my job because the people I worked with were so nice, and the lesson plans were flexible. There was also a lot of room for input and suggestions. It was a great place to work.
fabulous experience
Professeur d'anglais (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJune 2, 2015
Handling a classroom of students and teaching them the subject that has been assigned
Take daily attendance and teach students proper behavior
Maintain discipline amongst students
Assign homework and tasks that will help in their overall development to students
Find new and productive ways of teaching students, that will help them learn faster, and more efficiently
Pay special attention to weak students, and students with learning disabilities like dyslexia
Communicate with parents of each student, and inform them of their child's development in school
Coordinating with other colleagues and the principal of the school
Teach students of ethical and moral ways to live in the society
Maintain good and friendly relationships with the students and their parents, so that they can communicate openly with the teacher
Teach from the curriculum decided by the educational authorities, but also give suggestions for improving it
Finish the course on time and teach the students performance targets set by the school
Complete all other tasks and duties given by the Supervisor on time
Attend all the students and teachers meeting
Participate in all the school's functions
Fun environment but not the job for me
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Innisfil, ONMay 31, 2015
Pros: Free membership
Cons: Small pay
Although I have fun working here at the YMCA as a part-time employee, there are some down sides, such some supervisor talk to you as if you are a child and cannot understand a word that they are saying.
Great staff and great diverse work experience.
Job Coach (Former Employee), Grand Falls-Windsor, NLMay 25, 2015
Pros: short work days.
Cons: high traffic area.
The best part of working at the YMCA was being a part of the team/staff. We showed up in welcoming attitudes and relied on each other to welcome each and every member that came in for their workouts/activities.
It's ok.
Lifeguard (Current Employee), Orleans, ONMay 20, 2015
At the YMCA, lifeguards don't get paid a lot for the type of work they do. That's why I gave 1 star on 5 for salary/benefits.
Productive and fun workplace!
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Racine, WIMay 20, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of working with only one other guard for a minimum of 2 hour shifts. We would be guarding two pools so essentially one pool per guard. I loved working here because it has helped me to become and independent and self sufficient lifeguard.
Great members, great coworkers
Membership Service and Sales Representative (Current Employee), 99 Bank, Ottawa, ONMay 15, 2015
The job is fairly easy once you have completed your training. Training is ongoing as new rules are implemented regularly as well as having old rules brought up to remember. The members are amazing, great personalities and love to help in general.
The personal trainers and group fitness instructors are all wonderful, they have great personalities and give you extra advice when needed or if asked.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with clients who may have objections to the way that we have to do certain things such as cancellations and holds on memberships.
The easiest part of the job is general up keep such as; folding towels, washing/folding cloths for the members, restacking weights etc.
Great work environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), YMCA of GTAMay 12, 2015
Pros: Swimming
Cons: Low pay
I enjoyed working with the YMCA Day camp program as a summer job. The experience was life changing and is something I will remember and use in my future. Building weekly program plans and schedules was a skill that I had not previously had and I thank the YMCA for providing me with the time to grow this skill.
fun workplace
Volunteer Athletics Coordinator (Former Employee), Surrey, BCMay 12, 2015
I volunteered and worked with kids aged 3-12. We would do arts and crafts, building things, playing games and also physical activity such as soccer or basketball or any kind of sport they wanted. Worked with nice people, very helpful. Hardest part was taking care of the youngest kids because they would jump on you or sometimes cry or not listen. Enjoyable part was being able to learn things from the kids and making them happy.
LIFEGUARD AND SWIM INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee), Innisfil, ONMay 6, 2015
fun and exciting place to work. Great facility. People are very welcoming and fun and energetic. Great facilites, theres a gym a pool, chnage rooms, a track
Very helpfull to every member of ymca
Member (Current Employee), 4580 DUFFERIN ST TORONTO, ONMay 5, 2015
I have been volunteering at the ymca in their program called NYLD( New Comer Leadership Development and they are really helping me a lot when I need help. They are also helping me to improve my speaking, leadership and confidence that can help me to be more professional and knowledgeable about the new environment I'm into.
Nice Place to work
ECA (Current Employee), Markham, ONApril 29, 2015
Good environment, nice team.
Provide pre and on job training
Various locations so you could be arranged to one that near your home
Supply is ok after a while.
Supply Staff (Current Employee), Durham RegionApril 29, 2015
Pros: Pay, Get to travel to different location, every shift is a new experience
Cons: Some children can be a challenge
Pay is good. Currently on the supply list.At the beginning it was cool. I had my handful of shifts.

After a while you get less shifts and you get boring from being at home.

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more