YMCA Employee Reviews

Day at the YMCA
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
The Ymca is a family friendly fitness facility. A typical day would be standing behind the desk and greeting the members while also giving information on the facility. Sold memberships and various other programs the gym offered. Also gave people new to the environment an orientation on how to properly work out and use various machines. The people at this job were phenomenal; both members and staff. I learned a lot about myself and how to interact with others because this was my first job. The hardest part of the job was having to call a member that owed the gym money, it made me very uncomfortable. However, the overall job was fantastic.
Pros
Very healthy job, very lively.
Cons
Salary wasn't the greatest.
Provides loads of training opportunities and promotes healthy living
Supervisor of Child, Youth and Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 November 2016
Long hours, irregular work schedules, some managers need to retire or learn how to better coach and support direct reports. Members and staff are usually great and building relationships is the key to the Y approach. Rewarding work if you enjoy people and working with kids and diverse populations.
Pros
Benefits are good if you can secure full time work. Salary not ideal - hourly is the way to go!
Cons
Not any place close to market value to comparitive work.
No Room for Advancement
Security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
If you're a graduate looking for a place to gain experience; this may be a good place to start. But don't stay too long - it won't be worth your while. Unless you are in upper management, VP, SVP or CEO; your raise will be less than 1%. Your performance review means absolutely nothing and your raise was already decided 365 days ago - which is that lousy 1%.
Again, great place to start. Good pension plan if you're willing to ride the waves on the same salary for the next 20 years. But move on as there won't be any advancement.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Very low raises, management, no inclusiveness
Everything is excellent for a customer service position
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2017
Duties include delivering excellent customer service and creating membership contracts for new members.

Very fun and friendly environment. Great managers and a lot of opportunities for raises and/or promotions.
Pros
Almost everything one would want in their job or career
Cons
Some customers can be rude
Interesting if you enjoy working with kids.
Assistant Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 August 2016
Its a decent place to work if you have the schooling necessary to get paid more than the bare minimum, the hours are random and can change on a dime everyday. A few of my coworkers even go on EI over the summer because there isnt enough work for everyone when school is out. There is no to minimal benefits and then can and will change the wording of your work contract to not give you benefits The women whom I work with sometimes can be petty and weild any small amount of power they have over the lesser folks. Some of them are the nicest people I have every met but most will ignore you. You can and will be fired at the slightest thing done wrong as it is childcare and will be investigated for the slightest mishap even if you haven't had the proper training.
One good thing is seeing the kids smiles when you've made up an activity and they all love it. It almost makes it all worth it.
Pros
Freedom to control what you do.
Cons
Random hours, low pay.
easy to work with and good bosses
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2016
tiring but interesting work, i learned how to treat good the people especially all the members of ymca that i met everyday on my work.
kind and helpful co worker.
most enjoyable part of my job is to make friend the people i met
Pros
good benefits
Ymca
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON23 November 2016
The YMCA is a great place to work, however working the split shift is not ideal while having to commute. I have been working with the YMCA for two years now (in my third year) and have not yet seen the benefits that the YMCA offers (medical, gym memberships ect)
Great Place, Great People
Supervisor/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK1 October 2016
I loved working at the YMCA, only left due to husband relocating with work. I started at minimum wage and quickly advanced to a position I enjoyed, but sadly if I stayed I would not be able to advance any more as all managers were young.
Pros
staff, members, benefits
Cons
on call, unable to advance beyond my position
Good working experience
PERSONNAL TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Rockland, NB10 September 2016
Friendly staff
Great work environment
Allowed me to work in my field all while gaining valuable work experience for my future career.
I was able to focus on my personal strengths as well as help others develop strengths and help them work on fixing weaknesses
Pros
free membership
Cons
salary
No room for advancement
Membership Host (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ON3 May 2016
For a working parent, not an ideal job. Little room for advancement and minimal opportunity for increase in wages.
Expectation to work open and close in order to get hours even after years of seniority makes it impossible to get many hours.
Unrealistic amount of tasks given. For example, front desk membership staff are also expected to assist in other areas, do laundry, run a snack bar, be duty manager if needed and do pool tests and building walk arounds as well as financial assistance meetings with no monetary compensation.
Direct management is over worked and therefor that trickles down onto the employees.
High rate of turn over due to all of these reasons.
Very Educational Experience
Full time gallery attendant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 September 2016
Summer jobs for youth is a great way to land your first job and teaches you many essential workplace skills. Also provides many other benefits such as a free resume building help.
Pros
Guaranteed first job
Cons
Short time period
Volunteer
South LINC Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2016
I don´t have any salary because I´m a volunteer. My salary is my own satisfaction to help other. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No Cons
Low Wages, No employee Recognition, Incompetent Management
Employment Advisor/ Job Developer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2017
Low paying jobs for the amount of job duties and responsibilities, no staff recognition, professional development, or advancement in company. Incompetent management who are unable to progress business, hiring process is a joke, current management are not suited for such a role, plenty of mistakes made by management.
Management was terrible
Life Guard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 October 2016
The full time manager who is supposed to manage all the staff and programs going on on deck never was at work and her duties would fall to me. Without having proper YMCA Management training I tried to deal with each situation as best as possible.

Also when a situation would arise about an instructor or lifeguard, the manager would take the side of the patron. Normally this would be okay, however the guard or instructor would be following code and then get in trouble for it. If the full time manager was actually there and not just blaming people from afar, this would have been a lot more tolerable work experience.
Pros
Peers and Patrons were normally good to work with, Free access to facilities, my girlfriend received a discounted membership, Head lifeguards were great to work with
Cons
Absent management, schedules not made on time, constant state of confusion, lack supplies
fitness
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 April 2016
machines are old and dirty alot of high dust new supervisor dont know his job . most staff is great management not so much plus they take penion plan out even if you dont want it which is wrong 0.36 raise in 5 years please management gets theres tho cheers
Pros
good until you find a better job plus free membership thats it
Cons
too many to mention
Swim Instructor/ Life Guard
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 November 2016
Working with the YMCA teaches a lot about team building and creating a fun, healthy environment for young adults to enjoy their healthy lifestyle.
My typical day at work would be to instruct kids on their swimming abilities and applying various learning techniques as well as guarding other people from hazards and dangers of the aquatic community
I learned a lot about organizing, time management, responsibility skills-and getting along with others.
The hardest part of the job would be the responsibility
The most enjoyable part of the job would be engaging with the kids and employees
fun socializing,training and workshops
Youth Job Connection Participant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON19 November 2016
To me, it wasnt what i would consider a job, it was more just working on your skills/training in a active workplace/environment, I've socialized with people and other students from mine and other schools, in the matter of participating in the training and workshops, i (indeed) learned more when i was done, then before when i first started.
Pros
Every hour completed i was paid minimum-wage/ $11.40
Cons
long hours and bad hours
great learning ground, fast paced, high expectations, friendly and welcoming,
Membership Sales and Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
While I have worked for this company for more than a decade, I have felt the negative far outweigh the positive. If you wish to work for the YMCA, it is a great stepping ground for college aged workers, but don't expect to get your breaks, or get paid for any over-time. while the company works to avoid anyone working overtime, if it happens, rules are bent.

Charities have more lenient working standards, meaning the minimum shift is 2 hours, and a break is not a right until after 5 hours. while the staff are nice, everyone is stressed out due to understaffing due to budget constraints.
Pros
free membership for staff
Cons
lack of breaks, understaffed
Flexible work schedule, fun environment, great co-workers.
Supervisor of Adult Health and Fitness (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 August 2016
The YMCA is really a fun place to work. The people, co workers and members, are lovely; it's very rewarding.

I have gained much knowledge and experience working for the YMCA such as management/leadership skills, customer service as well as technical skills to include more certification in the fitness industry.

I love working for a charity because I see the positive results of the work we do.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little advancement
Great People
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON29 May 2016
YMCA is a great company, that lets you have your personal and professional life at the same time. I am always learning how to be a better ECE, communicator, friend and staff.
Pros
extra time
Cons
benefits come later