YMCA Employee Reviews

it was a fun workplace i really liked going
Daycare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB27 June 2017
i was only a volunteer so i didnt get paid but it was fun to go and interacting with the kids was so cute i really liked it and all the staff was nice.
Pros
we ate lunch with the kids, we went on walks, we made snacks
Cons
not a lot of cons honestly
Fun work place
Facility Housekeeping Attendant (FA) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2017
Great place to work and interact with the public and your coworkers. The earning is low, but the rewards are good. You get good benefits in using their facility for you and your family members.
Fun environment with children/co-workers
Kids Club Leader (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 June 2017
depending on the location you are based at, you will go in at your shift time. Prep for snack and lessons. Then you sign in the children and begin lesson, snack, gym lesson, free time, etc.
Pros
sometimes you get free food & the work uniform is easy
Cons
short hours
environment de travail productif et sécuritaire.
Preparatory teacher and child care worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2017
Mon passage au YMCA a été bref, mais j'ai appris énormement. J'ai seulement du positif à dire sur cette entreprise.
Pros
The core values
Cons
salary
Exciting and hectic!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 June 2017
In saying hectic, I mean it well. It's a fantastic place to volunteer! There are a variety of programs for kids, teens, and adults of all ages. Although sometimes disorganized, it's the first place I've volunteered where I realized that I wanted to teach. It was definitely a valuable experience since I immersed myself in it. It helped alleviate my stress and anxiety; just seeing the people there enjoying their programs was enough to make me happy. I got to know the supervisors and other employees, and they truly cared about my well-being. Those 5 years were crazy, but fantastic for me thanks to the YMCA.
Hands on with making connection with children and families
Child and Youth Educator (Current Employee) –  London, ON21 June 2017
Great place to work at, lovely staff and great connection. Hard working individuals with amazing heart in serving children and families. Eye opening experience but pay doesn't mount to the services
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low Pay
pretty good
Lifegaurd/swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2017
overall I enjoyed my experience at the YMCA, I added to my skills with lifeguarding and teaching although sometimes the management was not well organize
Fun place to work
Membership Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 June 2017
Great place to work, was a supervisor and always loved the job and the staff, positive, encouraging great team, always had room for advancement and believed in training
great team work
Welcoming Team (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC11 June 2017
arrive early to inspect cleanliness and security of the room

supervise members as they worked out.
answer questions and make sure rules of conditioning room were respected.
I learned that there are many rewards to volunteering.
The management team was solid, appreciative and very supportive
great place to work. everyone was friendly and helpful
dealing with clients who did not respect the rights of others

working with other volunteers and the many members who appreciated our contribution to the program.
Pros
use of facilities
Cons
members who treated volunteers as second class citizens
It was cool
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 June 2017
Super relaxed place to work. Management was super cool and fun to work with. I never felt uncomfortable. The pool was also really easy to guard which is nice.
Productive and challanging work place
Site Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 June 2017
A typical day at work starts quite at 8:30 A.M and gets busier later than 9:30. Very friendly and enthusiastic community especially by the administration offices. The most challenging part of the job would definitely be the organization of appointments and transportation. For those who loves meeting new faces every day and relaxing on lunch hours would enjoy being in this job. Good luck!
Pros
Optimistic and supportive community.
Cons
8-10 hours of daily work for full time positions.
Fun but stressful workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2017
A typical day is action packed, fun but tiring. Learnt lot about dealing with kids, especially the difficult ones (how to calm the down, how to get them to understand). Management left a lot up to the workers, but it worked out. Hardest part of the job was keeping the kids under control. The most enjoyable part was when everything went smoothly and everyone had fun.
Pros
Working with fun people and kids
Cons
long hours that can make you very tired
great place for a first job
Instructor/guard (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 June 2017
I worked for the YMCA-YWCA of Winnipeg when I was in high school and my first year of university. A review of this company would not be accurate of the company now.
Pros
great starting place for a first job in aquatics
Cons
long hours, no benefits
Fun place to work
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 June 2017
Very fun and outgoing place to work. Everyone is very friendly. Has benefits for full time staff. Wage is ok, just above minimum wage. Free membership when you work there.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Poor pay
Worked with a huge range of patrons.
Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor / Aquafit Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB3 June 2017
Here I discovered how much I like to work with large groups of people. I learned a lot about teaching and sharing my skills with others. This experience was fun and challenging.
Cool
YMCA Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB30 May 2017
I'm very blessed to be employed here. This is a great organization that aims to exceed their clients/customers expectations but they also look to take care of their employees as well. They are one of the remaining companies to offer incentives to their employees. Longevity is one of the things I admire about them.
excellent place to work
Program Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 May 2017
Fun and welcoming environment, I enjoyed working with the kids and being able to program plan according to their interests. I learned a lot about working with behavioural children and got to experience working on on one with a couple of children who experienced behavioural issues. The management was awesome. I always felt welcome and happy when I worked. It was such a great experience and I would def work for them again in the future when my contract in my current job ends.
Day Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 May 2017
I was a summer day camp leader, working with kids age 5-12. I helped plan activities for groups of around 30 children both in the YMCA and outings to various locations around Medicine Hat.
The work was good, the work environment, not so much
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2017
Although I enjoyed working ( teaching swimming lessons) I was not very happy with my management. They were very demanding, and always changing the work policies to the point where I, and many other employees, could not keep up. any of the executive decisions my managers made were to please the higher ups, even if it mean they were pointless decisions and at the expense of the teachers and lifeguards. The worst part was when I asked if my manager could help me transfer to another branch( because I was moving to another part of town), which had a job opening. She enthusiastically said yes and promises to connect with the other branch. She did not, and after two weeks I realised I she did not come through for me and in the end, I was out of the job.

The YMCA has always been a wonderful place for me, but my experience in this particular work environment has spoiled it for me.
Amazing place to meet friends and learn about childcare
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 May 2017
Amazing place to learn. Most of the coworkers I had are still very close friends of mine, many of them were in my wedding party. We still keep in touch with many of the parents and they've all had a great experience with the YMCA. It's a great facility, with terrible pay, as all childcare facilities are. The women that work there are truly wonderful and so supportive. Great place.
Pros
Long Lunches, Great Staff, Understanding Management, Amazing Families
Cons
Pay is awful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval