YMCA

YMCA Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Awesome summer!
Day Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2015
Great administration and co-workers for the summer term. Flexible and very energetic environment.
A great and fun environment with a pool, table tennis and a big gym.
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: very interesting and fun
Cons: my time working there was too short
In a typical day at work, i learned that working with kids gives you the ability to understand them and learn more about how they think. The most enjoyable part of the hob was working with the kids and learning from them the way they see the things we can't. The hardest part of the job was giving all the kids the same amount of attention in order for one not to feel left out.
A fun and enjoyable work enviroment! Great Staff
Educator (Former Employee), Six Nations, ONJanuary 20, 2015
Arrive at the school by 2:30
make sure the after school program area is clean chairs and tables set up and whipped down.
go into storeage area get out all material needed for the days program
set up
wait for children's arriaval
go over with children what is planned for today
look over childrens agenda to see who has homework
do the days planned main activity
then go get snack prepared
have snack
then homewirk with children
do craft/gym activitcs
get ready for home time
Amazing Place To Work
YMCA of Niagara Childcare Employee (Current Employee), St.CatharinesJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: free gym membership, relationships with families
Cons: not enough hours
The YMCA is an amazing place to work. I am really close with all my co -workers and my boss. The job is rewarding and fun. Getting to build relationships with the children is the most amazing part. Seeing how families grow and learn is also a bonus to the job.
YMCA of Greater Toronro
Soccer Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2015
A great organization. I have worked for the head office of the YMCA of Greater Toronto for 2.5 years. Since then I have and still am working part time at the Central YMCA as a soccer coordinator/coach.
Overall, a great to be a part of this organization.
fun place to work at
student placement (Former Employee), highparkJanuary 5, 2015
great place to work and exercise my skills, nice neighbourhood and close to transit.
The best and only place that I have ever volunteered in totalling multiple thousands of hours.
Youth Leader (Volunteer) (Former Employee), North York, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Cons: nothing
No salary stars mainly because I was a volunteer. I volunteered at the North York YMCA for years between being a youth leader and a youth karate instructor. I just found the place and the people to be so enjoyable that I never wanted to leave and would keep coming back despite not even being employed. I learned so many skills here that mainly involve leadership and public speaking which were things I did not know how to properly utilize before. There is no hard part of the job if you enjoy it and the most enjoyable part is really just being able to talk to anyone and have such a positive environment to reinforce you with anything. I do not know the state of the NY YMCA now but during my time there between my peers and the employees,managers, and the head, I just found everyone and everything to be so enjoyable and I will never forget my time there.
Fun place to work at
I volunteer (Former Employee), Oakville, ONJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: hours gained
Cons: a bit boring
Organize events, booths, and sections.
Help out with events, show people around
Hand out flyers about the event.
Take place in the booths, play games help kids win prizes
Clean up stations
Talk to others
Show teamwork (work together)
hahaha
Youth Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 28, 2014
really dope volunteer experience, helped disabled kids swim. in the pools.
Good
Program Participant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 8, 2014
Good working with this company

Typical day is Good

Learned Good information

Management Good

Co-workers Good

Hardest part Good

Most enjoyable part Good.
Non-Profits
Membership Specialist (Current Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 2, 2014
Great organization to work for, has been a second home to me. Great people, made a lot of contacts since I've been there.
great starting point to childcare in Moncton, great amnenies
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee), Moncton, NBNovember 23, 2014
Pros: great accessibily and amnenies
Cons: no room to advance in position
Had own classroom for 3 years, learned the flow of industrialized childcare, compared to owning a at home daycare. Learned to adjust to diversity; from families and co-workers. The best part of this job was what the building had to offer the children, staff and families, from pools, gyms and great outdoor accessibility.
I'm working with YMCA sinc 2013 as a supply, but because I don"t have a ECE I can't full day
Supply staff.working with children from ages 0-12 (Current Employee), London,ONNovember 20, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
I have gained my expertise with a Bachelor's degree in Special Education from King Saud University in Saudi Arabia that is recognized in Canada by the World Education Services as equivalent to a four years Canadian Bachelor Degree.
Interactive and busy workplace
Camp Counsellor Volunteer (Former Employee), Winnipeg, CanadaNovember 19, 2014
A typical day at work was incredibly busy and required all staff to be fluent and flexible at all times.
Time management was of major importance especially when working with children; being punctual and running according to the day's schedule was a must, in order to ensure the day would run smoothly.
I learnt that in every job, especially this one, that there are certain responsibilities, no matter how unsatisfying, that need to be undertaken and done effectively in order for the workplace to continue and run effectively on a daily and weekly basis.
YMCA
Before and after school program (Former Employee), Dundas, ONNovember 17, 2014
I would organized activities for the the children. I would help put snacks and lunches together. Helped the supervisor with any tasks that needed to be done.
Childcare programming
Educator (Former Employee), Burlington, ON & Montreal, QCNovember 13, 2014
-Planned and implemented enriching activities designed for social,
physical and cognitive development

-Evaluated and tutored based on child’s needs

-Strengthened child’s skills and set future goals

-Encouraged the values and principles of the YMCA
Odd Jobs
Labourer (Former Employee), Sudbury ONNovember 12, 2014
Pros: new tasks
Cons: no consistent hours
Mostly all jobs required transportation.
Did not enjoy the jobs.
Great Place To Work
After School Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBNovember 11, 2014
I had a great time working at the YMCA. I enjoyed my job. However it is hard to have two teachers in one class when people have different ways of doing things.
High quality Child Care Institution
Early Childhood Education Assistant (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 5, 2014
Pros: excelent staff, flexable hours and and encouraging environment
Cons: having to wake up early in the morning.
At the YMCA in Chatham-Kent it is always a very busy sometimes, chaotic day. Within the summer program as a volunteer I start the day off by going to the meeting area, interacting with the children and assisting in child care drop off. I have learned a number of different aspects to the job of childcare provision, such as you need to find the right balance between too lenient on inappropriate behaviour and to forceful. Another thing I have learned volunteering at the YMCA would be that you need to be flexible in your actions towards co-workers and upper management. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is knowing when to step in to assist or when to back off of a situation. The most enjoyable part of the job hands down, would have to be the enjoyment of seeing the progress of children grow as human beings, the smiling faces of when children truly enjoy an activity and the curiosity of what happens next in everyday life.
Fun workplace
YMCA volunteering (Former Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 29, 2014
A typical day is volunteering at front desk and in childminding

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more