YMCA
2,818 reviews

YMCA Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to be for your health and wellness needs
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Victoria, BCOctober 18, 2014
Great place to be a part of; feels like family.
Most clients are great. facilities offer more than what you would think
fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), 10 milner buisness crtOctober 16, 2014
Pros: free snaks
Handle phone calls, providing information to customers, transferring phone calls, filling,Data entry
couch
couch (Former Employee), Truro, NSOctober 12, 2014
Pros: kids
Cons: parents
Volunteer work
taught baseball
worked with youth
won a title
Productive and exciting with some downfalls
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 8, 2014
Pros: occasional provided lunches, giveaways, pickup extra hours, benefits
Cons: paperwork, strict administration, inflexibility
I worked shy of a 6 hour day at the YMCA everyday, specifically in their Before and After School programs. I would substitute in the Preschool rooms when the opportunity came up and worked in Summer Camp when the time rolled around. What I found was a caring and dedicated staff under the watchful eyes of dedicated administrators within an impenetrable – more... infrastructure.

The biggest downfall of working at the YMCA was the YMCA itself, their policies and resistance to change and growth. I've been a working ECE for 5 years now and I hate to say that 5 years may be enough for me.

In spite of my experience and my work history, I found that I had to pay YMCA dues to have my thoughts and feelings heard by my superiors and their superiors. That's a challenge, it's a challenge that puts you in a why bother mindset.

During my time at the YMCA, I met some truly wonderful people and interacted with children and families who were confident in the skill that I brought to the table. From the organization itself, I found myself categorized and filed away, another staff member that was interchangeable and disposable.

The most enjoyable part of my day was working with the children, knowing that I was making an indelible impression on those boys and girls. Every day was exciting, every day was a challenge.

I've taken some time to reassess my options but take heed of my words. The YMCA isn't as welcoming as one may think, the people however, the good and decent, always will be. – less
fun workplace
Program Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKOctober 4, 2014
Pros: working with kids
Cons: distance
the best part of the job, was working with kids and also being able to communicate with them in a decent manner of tone. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. The hardest part pf the job was during the period when it's raining. I learnt a lot from the job. I learnt how to corodinate programs and activities and also how to take good care of kids anytime.
Great Place to work!
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee), BrantfordOctober 4, 2014
Every shift there is something new and the staff members are extremely kind and easy to work with.
fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONOctober 2, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: long hours
the people are amazing - both the staff and guests
hardly feels like work
Committed to make true combination of Spirit, Body and Mind to build a strong community
Housing Support Worker (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2014
Pros: this is a strong brand and popularly accepted by the stakeholders
Cons: limited rooms/ facilities for women and families considering the current demand.
The YMCA Transitional Housing is located at such an important place that serve the real purposes of it's clients. Considering the present demand securing one room/ bed is like getting the moon in hand. The Organization is run by the most mature and polished management. All team members are really committed to give their best to the customers. This is – more... an expanded family having the senior management, staff and the residents. Some of the residents are living there for more than 27 years. The most positive part of job is we are contributing towards the overall development of the community following the harm reduction approach. I feel sad when I see some of our clients are not loving themselves and wasting their time only by taking marijuana and drinking alcohol. – less
Great
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 25, 2014
Amazing organization, great management, amazing co workers, gains new skills
very caring atomshpere
Enhanced Support Worker (Current Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 23, 2014
great organization loved everything...very fun and outgoing people good ideas for the kids programs... very involved employees
Preparation for future choices.
Employment (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Well put together program, location was the problem. Two hours there, two hours back.
Amazing Group to Work with
Special Needs After School Program Worker, Work (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 20, 2014
Loved everything about this program, it was incredibly rewarding and challenging
Very stuck in tradition/routine, resist change, culture of friendship
YMCA of Regina Northwest Aquatics Director (Former Employee), Regina SaskatchewanSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: free family membership for directors
Cons: below average wages
typical day at work was very hectic
I learned more then I have from anything else. Budgets, hiring, programs, brochures, rental coordination.
Management structure is sub-optimal. (see hardest part of job)
Co-workers are AMAZING.
Hardest part of the job is managing 65 staff across 2 facilities with 2 supervisors while other departments managed 3 staff – more... and 6 volunteers with 4 supervisors.
The job is very self-fulfilling, tons of opportunity for volunteering – less
Fun to go at YMCA
Peer Teacher (Former Employee), MississaugaSeptember 10, 2014
Taut variety of indoor and outdoor recreational sports. Management was organized, and coworkers were also helpful and cooperative. Hardest part of the job was keeping children on tasks. Teaching them basic sports skills for soccer or football. Most enjoyable part was we played sports ourselves in the end.
Overall great place to train
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: very pleasant team to work with
I enjoyed training with the staff at YMCA and I learned a lot
from them as far as administrative work is concerned.
Productive Environment
YLD Youth Advisor/Human Resource Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2014
Everybody's really friendly and willing to help if you need it
Great Experience Working with Children and being creative
Program Specialist/Head Counsellor (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: getting to do all activities for free
Cons: pay isnt good enough for the hours/job demand
I love working with the kids all day, it makes all my education worth while because I get to see what it does to help the kids. The team of supervisors and other staff are so supportive and are always willing to help. The hardest part of the job is leaving, because I want to work with children all the time. In turn it makes it the most enjoyable part – more... is watching the children grow and take what you teach them to heart and listen to their inspirations and aspirations. – less
Bridging the Gap pre-employment program
Program Participant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2014
Pros: free ymca membership
A typical day in this program would be taking workshops almost all day, everyday. Some days we have guest speakers, job fairs, job searching, and we will soon be taking First Aid and WHMIS. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we are able to work out at the Don Wheaton centre. Program facilitators are supportive and fun to work with. There is no hard part of this – more... job, and everything is enjoyable. – less
Awesome place to work, very low pay
front desk leader (Former Employee), EdmontonAugust 25, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: boring long hours of doing absolutely nothing.
Fantastic company to work for, but expect little to no advancement once you hold a position in it.
Staff are awesome, pay not so much.
Membership Representative-Team Lead/Supervisor (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONAugust 20, 2014
Pros: supportive colleagues, free membership
Cons: pay
The people you work with are great and so are all the people you get to meet. It is not somewhere you can advance career wise (at least within a reasonable amount of time) and the pay is not competitive.

I spend most of my day completing tasks of my department as well as others. It is a constant "go-go" atmosphere. I have learned a lot about what it – more... takes to be a part of and run a department but have not been able to grow with what I have learned. The most enjoyable part about the job are the members you get to meet and speak with on a regular basis. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more