YMCA Employee Reviews

Pleasant place to work , good feedback and lots of little perks
Outdoor washroom attendant (Former Employee) –  Rama, ONSeptember 20, 2016
good hours
learned how to temporarily fix a toilet
Management gave positive feed back
coworkers were friendly
plunging toilets does not always work
good hours
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Long hard and easy days
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 17, 2016
Every day I went to work and learn more how to be a great leader always be engaged with the kids and get to know the kids each and every day talking you kids don't have favorites
Pros
help with the kids
Cons
Cleaning up their mess
Enjoyable
Lifeguard/Swim instructor (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONSeptember 15, 2016
a lot of sitting around. mostly watching 1 or two swimmers. fairly easy job overall. must be a people person because the members love talking to the lifeguards
Working at the Y
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 13, 2016
While working with the YMCA, the environment with my fellow coworkers, children, and general public was friendly, safe, and healthy. I increased in interpersonal skills, organizational skills, problem solving, and the ability to work efficiently under pressure. However, the communication between management or staff in higher positions was minimal when in need of assistance. This did teach me to work well independently in every situation that occurred. The hardest part of the job is the pressure placed by the management team. There was no direct nor friendly support received by anyone above my positions. The expectations were too high in the sense that there were no breaks even though all staff were required to work with children for 8+ hours/day. This caused problems because, the necessity of breaks left the majority of my staff team feeling burned out while management continued to get upset if we were to be, for example, sitting down to eat our lunches while supervising activities.The most enjoyable part of this job was the rewarding feeling at the end of the day when you have a respectable bond with each child and their families.
Pros
Free 1-year gym membershi, lifelong friendships, a long list of new skills/experience, and the rewarding moments.
Cons
Long hours, No breaks/overtime pay, unreliable management team
Enjoyable work, meeting new people
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBSeptember 11, 2016
Working at the YMCA was always enjoyable because you would meet new people everyday, and all sorts of different personalities.

Although it would get very hot in the pool area during the summer it would still make me happy to go to work and see our members.
Pros
Contact with new people everyday
Cons
Very hot conditions
Best summer
Counsellor at YMCA Camp Ki-Wa-Y (Former Employee) –  St. Clements, ONSeptember 9, 2016
The job descriptions is to have fun. The place is beautiful, and the people that work there are even better.
Learnt time management, as well as patience.
The hardest part was dealing with little children as they can be very annoying.
The best part is dealing with little kids as they can give you a fun new perspective.
A Great place for the people who likes to do more activities and meet new people
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 4, 2016
It is a good place with wonderful crew members.
It will be exciting to meet new people from various communities and culture.
Learned to manage tasks on time,to be organized, and to improve my communication skills.
With other volunteer members made creative artworks for the clients to view and enjoy.
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 2, 2016
I decided to volunteer at the YMCA with a couple of friends for the experience. We'd just play sports with the kids and also teach them a thing or two. Also we learned from the kids and management as well. Management was never a problem. The hardest part about the job would've probably been telling the kids that their time is up & the gym's closed. Best part was playing the game I love most.
Pros
staying fit
Productive, Kind environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 28, 2016
Days were calm and collected everything is well organized and people are always satisfied. Co workers were kind and always offering a helping hand to costumers and other employees.
Pros
kind environment
Child Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 28, 2016
A typical work day involves planning activities for K to 6 kids and then carrying them out. If you enjoy working with kids this age then you will enjoy this job. There is a decent amount of record keeping and cleaning that goes with the other work and generally I found there was not enough time given for this work. Managing your time is definitely the hardest part of the job.

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers but did clash with one or two of them about how to handle different situations. Management was great however.
Pros
Free snacks, fun job, a lot of play involved
Cons
Low pay, not enough time for tasks
Flexible work schedule, fun environment, great co-workers.
Supervisor of Adult Health and Fitness (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 28, 2016
The YMCA is really a fun place to work. The people, co workers and members, are lovely; it's very rewarding.

I have gained much knowledge and experience working for the YMCA such as management/leadership skills, customer service as well as technical skills to include more certification in the fitness industry.

I love working for a charity because I see the positive results of the work we do.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little advancement
A great program for helping people find work.
Workshop Trainee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 24, 2016
Through the program I learned a lot about myself, the kind of work I'm good at, inter-personal skills in the workplace and a lot about my own self-esteem.
active work space environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 23, 2016
-bad pay, not worth the hard work
-outside all day
-physically draining
i dont even want to write this review but indeed is making me, i hate when sights make you fill surveys out
Pros
workers are nice
Cons
poor pay
Programing, Interacting With Children, Teamwork, Daily Interactions with Parents
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 21, 2016
Programming daily, observations on children daily, bathroom routines, outside play, playing to learn curriculum. Worked with great coworkers as a team and individually
Terrible Work Place
Membership Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 21, 2016
Horrible, toxic, and abusive work environment. All levels of management sanction bullying behaviour. Do not develop staff of any level. Do not follow core values of honesty, caring, respect, responsibility.
Good Environment
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 18, 2016
People are friendly at YMCA. They are doing the renovation for the facility and parking lot. Students are willing to learn and trying hard to learn
Multicultural
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONAugust 15, 2016
Meet new people, grow your network.
Learn how to have a balance schedule between going to the gym and going to your job daily
Pros
Coffee
Cons
disable people
les chatter ymca
Health & Wellness Coach (Current Employee) –  HamiltonAugust 12, 2016
This job was just terrible, i did so much for the ymca and all they did was give me broken promises and ignore me. No way to make a career out of this
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Bad management & No pay advancements
educational and constructive
Youth Leadership program (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSAugust 5, 2016
the youth leadership program was a very educational and extremely helpful work placement that also helped u acquire skills such as first aid, food handling, WHIMIS, ect.
productive place to work with children
ECE II (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MBAugust 4, 2016
I loved working here as I got to interact with children and got to watch them learn new things and use there imagination. It was 10 hour work days so it was 4 day work weeks