YMCA
3,538 reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and fun workplace!
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Racine, WIMay 20, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of working with only one other guard for a minimum of 2 hour shifts. We would be guarding two pools so essentially one pool per guard. I loved working here because it has helped me to become and independent and self sufficient lifeguard.
Great members, great coworkers
Membership Service and Sales Representative (Current Employee), 99 Bank, Ottawa, ONMay 15, 2015
The job is fairly easy once you have completed your training. Training is ongoing as new rules are implemented regularly as well as having old rules brought up to remember. The members are amazing, great personalities and love to help in general.
The personal trainers and group fitness instructors are all wonderful, they have great personalities and give you extra advice when needed or if asked.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with clients who may have objections to the way that we have to do certain things such as cancellations and holds on memberships.
The easiest part of the job is general up keep such as; folding towels, washing/folding cloths for the members, restacking weights etc.
Great work environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), YMCA of GTAMay 12, 2015
Pros: Swimming
Cons: Low pay
I enjoyed working with the YMCA Day camp program as a summer job. The experience was life changing and is something I will remember and use in my future. Building weekly program plans and schedules was a skill that I had not previously had and I thank the YMCA for providing me with the time to grow this skill.
fun workplace
Volunteer Athletics Coordinator (Former Employee), Surrey, BCMay 12, 2015
I volunteered and worked with kids aged 3-12. We would do arts and crafts, building things, playing games and also physical activity such as soccer or basketball or any kind of sport they wanted. Worked with nice people, very helpful. Hardest part was taking care of the youngest kids because they would jump on you or sometimes cry or not listen. Enjoyable part was being able to learn things from the kids and making them happy.
LIFEGUARD AND SWIM INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee), Innisfil, ONMay 6, 2015
fun and exciting place to work. Great facility. People are very welcoming and fun and energetic. Great facilites, theres a gym a pool, chnage rooms, a track
Very helpfull to every member of ymca
Member (Current Employee), 4580 DUFFERIN ST TORONTO, ONMay 5, 2015
I have been volunteering at the ymca in their program called NYLD( New Comer Leadership Development and they are really helping me a lot when I need help. They are also helping me to improve my speaking, leadership and confidence that can help me to be more professional and knowledgeable about the new environment I'm into.
Nice Place to work
ECA (Current Employee), Markham, ONApril 29, 2015
Good environment, nice team.
Provide pre and on job training
Various locations so you could be arranged to one that near your home
Supply is ok after a while.
Supply Staff (Current Employee), Durham RegionApril 29, 2015
Pros: Pay, Get to travel to different location, every shift is a new experience
Cons: Some children can be a challenge
Pay is good. Currently on the supply list.At the beginning it was cool. I had my handful of shifts.

After a while you get less shifts and you get boring from being at home.
Productive & very fun helping supervise
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 27, 2015
Pros: There are many breaks you can take if nobody needs any assistance.
Cons: There are so many people that come to the Brampton YMCA and this makes the days longer and busier
-A regular work day is just like any other job, you go in and do your part that was assigned to you; once you have free time you can play some sports with other people.
-This job made me learn about how to help others on doing what they're trying to accomplish and to help them reach their goal.
-All the workers at the Brampton YMCA are all very enthusiastic and encouraging. They all try to help one another to do certain things and to help the community out by letting kids have fun at this community center.
-The hardest part of this job would be running around the facility all the time because people are in need of personal assistance.
-The most enjoyable part of this job is that you get to see a lot of people having fun and making the community a better place for kids, teens and adults.
Fun workplace and friendly employees
Field Placement Student (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 27, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff and parents, spending the day with two age groups, getting to know all the children in kindergarten and preschool care
Cons: Split shift
The YMCA provides a welcoming environment to children and offers a knowledgeable team of staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the children explore their environment and use their imaginations for play. I gained more confidence in communicating with parents and implementing routines. My co-operating teacher gave me the opportunity to implement a fire drill.
Nice experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONApril 23, 2015
Nice people and flexible schedule. Wonderful place to volunteer and a great place to get to know people and build skills.
Volunteer
Brockville YMCA Volunteer (Former Employee), Brockville, ONApril 21, 2015
I was a volunteer at the Brockville YMCA. Please disregard the ratings I gave them in the previous section and do not use it for any other purposes.
Fantastic place to work!
Support (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2015
Pros: work/life balance
Cons: tough to be permanent
I've been with the Y for 2.5 years. Loved my experience with employment and community (a little less with CFD but still beneficial). Directors and GMs are supportive. Great work/life balance. Its difficult to become permanent but other than that, every day is a new challenge with exciting possibilities.
Fun outdoor environment
Camp Councillor (Former Employee), ExshawApril 14, 2015
Met Awesome people and learned a lot about myself. Was a busy job, but you were never stressed and you always had a team behind so you could step out whenever.
Enjoyable Environment
After School Care (Current Employee), Whitby, ONApril 14, 2015
Pros: Met new people
Cons: Short hours
I have a great time working in this environment and teaching these children and being active every day. I enjoyed my co-workers and manager and never had a bad situation.
Enjoyable and welcoming place to work
Child and Youth Leader (Current Employee), Innisfil, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: Fun and positive atmosphere
Cons: Lack of hours
On a typical day at work it is my duty to greet parents and their children and to ensure them that their child will have a safe and enjoyable time at the facility. One of my other responsibilities is to keep the storage rooms clean and accessible for others to use. Co-workers and volunteers are friendly, inviting and experienced to work with. The hardest part of the job is ensuring that parents feel their child had an enjoyable time playing activities. The most enjoyable part of the job is playing and learning with the children and seeing them leave with smiles on their faces.
A highly productive and fun working environment and excellent management
Job Skills Counsellor (Former Employee), North York, ONApril 3, 2015
A typical day at work I would engage in telephone and personal contacts with clients and employers to ensure the placement goals were achieved by both employers and employees
I learned to facilitate workshops and teaching a diverse group of clirents how to apply the skills and knowledge on the Retail Sales Associate workbooks designed by The Retail Council of Canada
Resolve all issues that could arise during the course of placements
Recuring accurate and timely payments of contractual obligations with program clients and employers
Coordinating with diverse organizations for the appropriate and complete WHIMIS, First Aid & CPR Training and Certificates issued accordingly
The hardest part of the job was to resolve any conflicts that arose due to unforeseen circunstances with clients could not comply with employers work rules and schedules. These were quicly addressed and promptly resolved to both parties satisfaction,
DIfferent activities for various ages
Volunteer (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 3, 2015
I signed various members up for activities they wanted to participate it and acted accordingly. I enjoyed interacting with the staff members and the members of the YMCA. They have taught me simple values of respect.
Fun place to work
Placement Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2015
Pros: good experience
Cons: not friendly
I did love being a student and working with the staff but not agree with some of the decision taken upon with some staff. At times I did feel left out or taken advantage of. Loved the kids but the staff need to be reevaluated.
Learning and Gaining Experience
Resource Specialist Volunteer Assistant (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Gaining Experiences
I have learned about a lot of useful experiences that I needed to use in the future. My supervisor has taught me a lot of numerous of useful strategies and helpful tip and tricks on how to get the job done in a professional manner. I have also learned how to use computer programs such as CATS, H drive, Gmail account, MS word, MS Publisher, and MS PowerPoint. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping out with clients, I'm very interested in learning about other people and developing a well build relationship with my clients and as well with my co-workers. Therefore I thank the YMCA for there commitment and leadership skills for helping me grow in the work field.

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more