YMCA Employee Reviews

helps but doesn't help
Personal Fitness Trainer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2017
great place with many programs and the drive to help and mentor many people in all walks of life around the world. Great for the soul, but not the bank book. Wage is low and increases are rare.
work dont volunteer
Baby sitting (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 October 2017
I was honestly just a kid at the time (fifteen) trying to fill my summer up, but the "leaders" (sixteen plus) acted like I was the servient of royalty
Pros
alot of fun if you like kids
Cons
exhasting
Fun place to work
Job Developer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 October 2017
Great job to learn with good people who will teach you about employment, counselling, and best outreach strategies. There are a lot of opportunties to move around in the organization
productive, fun and diverse
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON15 October 2017
Working as an Early Childcare Assistant was an exciting learning experience. The staff couldn't be anymore helpful and welcoming to new staff. Above all my manager was extremely supportive and allowed flexibility with my schedule as needed. I couldn't have asked for more out of my first childcare job and I would recommend this position to anyone interested in the childcare field.
Pros
great hourly wage, amazing staff
supportive
Daycare Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 October 2017
Having a community to help build kids. Helping parents in any way they can. Teaching team work, and trust. Also planning fun activities for the kids, and providing lunch for them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short on staff
productive
Child and Youth Program Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 October 2017
-good organization
-great teamwork
-enjoyable
-love working with kids
-not enough pay
-workplace is good
- management is well organized
-not enough hours
Comfortable
Program Coordinator, Housekeeper, Understudy (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 October 2017
Enjoyable. Keep in professional. If you are an emotional person be careful not to open up too much. Management is there to do a job and make money not friends. Working in children's programs is very rewarding, helping children succeed in their growth and development
Pros
Getting in good shape and helpong others achieve their goals physically and developmentally
Cons
Having to be superfial and not genuine
Exciting and entertaining
Full/Part time (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 October 2017
At the YMCA I encountered lots of nice educated and well established individuals. who are very welcoming and very compassionate about what they do. I would do it again.
very proactive for community and children
Child Care leader (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC5 October 2017
they make sure you know all of their policies and give extra training where needed. They let staff know all that is required of them up front and very plain speaking. They are great with community activities and child care services.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
must make 3 month review as they lay it out.
Great place for personal development
Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 October 2017
I had a great time learning the basics of lifeguarding; great professors and very supportive team. Definitely a place that values tolerance, acceptance and growth.
Great place to do a placement
Housing Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 October 2017
Through my time at the YMCA I was able to develop many skills as well as acquire experience in my field. While working with children I was able to exercise my managerial skills.
great place to work
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 October 2017
I Volunettered and worked at the Tong louie YMCA for quite a long time. The main reason I worked there for so long was due to the overwhelmingly awesome staff members along with the atmosphere. Everyone I worked with where amazing people who all looked out for oen another along with having an amzing work ethic. It was a place you where happy to go to . Along with being a great sorce of community builiding place outside of work. My only wish was for more hours.
Pros
Staff, Community
Cons
not many hours
Working atth ymca is fun!
Cleaner/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 October 2017
Working at the YMCA is a great work environment and great people. You can laugh and still enjoy your job is the best way. The YMCA is always welcoming to whatever level you have and you don't get judged by that. Great attitude always smiles and engaging with other members.
Pros
Meeting new people
Great place to work at.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC30 September 2017
A great, positive environment to work in. Hands on with the community and allows you to make an impact. Management as well as co-wokers are friendly and a pleasure to work with.
to have fun and learn
Aquatics helper (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 September 2017
well i just volunteeered but it was all about having fun and learning how to swim. . i learned that kids can really put a scare on you by pertending to drown. but the fun part was playing silly games in the water.
Pros
was always swimming
Cons
the frights that new swimmers put you through
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 September 2017
Not bad, easy work. Made the experience really good by just doing the simpilist things a 14 year old can do. Looking for more jobs like these, easy to do.
Pros
Breaks
Great members, bad management
GF Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2017
Members are amazing. As you move up the ladder you have to work closer with management and less with members. The ymca of GTA does not care about their staff. Unethical Program Manager at central YMCA. Talking about personal life, making fun of others, making people leave when not in agreement with her. HR is there just to make sure the ymca doesn't get in trouble, but there is no support or where to go when employees need assistance. Better leave than dealing with the issue since managers are untouchable. Such a big organization that does not take care of the money that is donated by so many people and companies as well as the government.
Pros
Members
good company
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2017
Excellent work culture and good staff. Fantastic work place , multi cultural environment. Good place for new immigrants to set into the Canadian culture.
I love the Y
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 September 2017
I very much love the y as an organization. In my field I do not see much advancement but hours can be good. I enjoy working with the kids and families.
Pros
loving atmosphere
Cons
low wage
Summer camp counsellor
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 September 2017
• Demonstrated strong team playing skills by organizing ‘Lunch and Learn’ meetings to share best practices, including developing specialized services to integrate persons with special needs into recreational programs. Consequently, this initiative was adopted by two other YMCA branches in Ottawa.
• Applied awareness of diversity issues and the developmental characteristics of age groups in the planning and implementation of recreational activities, involving various teaching methods such as story-telling, visual and hands-on exercises.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.