YMCA Employee Reviews

Caring and helpful
Ranch Helper/Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON29 March 2017
the people there are very helpful and kind and I would recommend everyone to go there if they ever need help find a good job opportunity. the people there always try to be positive.
Volunteers at YMCA
Assistant Program Supervisor - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 March 2017
Poor management skills, a lot of improvement needed, volunteers get treated poorly, very picky supervisors. Great experience for high school students who need volunteer hours, not a place to be employed at though.
productive, friendly and fun
skills link program (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB25 March 2017
the skills link program taught me alot of things, they helped shaped me into the employee i am. they are very friendly and helpful. they care about the people that walk through their door.
Pros
learnt many skills
cool
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2017
exercising is a great way to let of steam. Its cool to be around people who enjoy sports and exercising as well. Working there is fun because everyone is really nice.
Pros
free gym
Great work environment
Program Instructor/ SD of Transportation (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON20 March 2017
I very much enjoyed working at Wanakita. I was welcomed immediately into the group, everyone was so kind and helped with all the questions I had. The management was incredibly helpful and had great feedback for me moving forward.
cool place to meet people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK20 March 2017
loved working at the ymca apart from the horrible work schedule, i thought they were very unorganized with work schedule. positive place to lift with alot of amazing people who will encourage you every step of the way.
Pros
bad work shift
Cons
positive environment
Ymca
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 March 2017
I was very young when I first started with these volunteer jobs. It helped me at a young age learn how to deal with very hyper young kids. On a daily basis, we would organize games, some days we have to create a schedule for the day, and watch over the kids while the staff monitered us.
Fun workplace
Personal Trainer (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB19 March 2017
I really enjoyed working at the YMCA. I am very interested in personal development and helping people achieve their fitness goals was very fulfilling to me.
Best place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 March 2017
Working at the YMCA was the best. I had so much fun and I got to meet new people everyday and the staff there made me feel like I was apart of a family.
Pros
Environment
Excellent Job
CAMP COUNSELLOR (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 March 2017
great work opportunity, excellent working for a non-profit organization, great staff, wonderful management team, and enjoyable day to day working environment.
Fun workplace
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 March 2017
Great management team and all the employees are very friendly and helpful.
All the members are very motivating and you learn something new and productive everyday.
Pros
Free membership
What I Learned
Beyond the Bell Educator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2017
I learned new skills, and gained confidence, within the work field, and built relationships, with everyone around me, who supported me to be who I am today.
Pros
Nice, Supportive staff
Cons
Underpaid
fun, people were nice
Volunteer - Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 March 2017
good people, everyone was friendly, they put the customers first. as a non-profit there was less pressure on employees and could focus on quality of work without pressure
Fun and exciting environment
Art Instructor/ Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2017
At a typical day at work, I came in half an hour early to set up the supplies. I would welcome students to the class. Then I would explain each lesson plan. Go around the classroom, pointing out , showing students work and critiquing it.
I learned to challenge myself to present a new lesson each week.
Management of class was good, had a couple of co-workers always to help assist me, and a supervisor would pop in once a month to monitor my lessons.
Workplace culture was fun and interactive.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a students progress.
In regards to being a dance instructor, it was my first time ever, even after dancing for 8 years. It was difficult to come up with routines and figure out which dance moves to teach, and how. But it was a good challenge, and kept me going to every dance class, workshop, and event, to make sure I absorbed enough to teach a new lesson each time.
Pros
Challenging, and a fun job.
Cons
After 2 years, I had nothing new left to teach.
Fun
HCA summer councilor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 March 2017
Great time working at the HCA the kids were great and so were the teachers. Co workers were my friends from school so it made the job much more enjoyable.
Awesome Staff and Children
School-aged Program Teacher (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 March 2017
I started with the YMCA over a year now, and been at the same after school program since I started, I love all my children. there have been some bumps in the road but I wouldn't change it for anything! They are an amazing company who provide you with as much training as you need to help improve as well as there are always there to help! They run an amazing programs throughout Guelph! I'm glad to be apart of the team!
Love the culture and people involved with the YMCA
Director of Gymnastics Program (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB10 March 2017
This is an excellent part time position.

The atmosphere at the Y is positive and inviting. It feels good to be part of the community. The Y is all about the community.
Pros
Well compensated for coaching
Cons
Unorganized
Great people to work with. Positive environment,
Playroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 March 2017
I loved to work for the YMCA-YWCA. I worked supervising the kids area. I had great co-workers and we helped each other whenever was necessary. At the times was very challenging but always with a positive attitude we resolved any challenge we were face with. We took care of children from 6 weeks old to older than 8 years old. We also had some children with disabilities that was a challenge to work with and was very rewarding to see the positive results.Our main focus was always safety and a good environment for the kids to be happy and spend some energy while their parents had a time to relax and work out and feel good. I feel very supported by my managers they were always willing to listen to new ideas to keep the place safe,and fun for the children. The hardest part of the job was probably getting to know the babies to make them feel secure and for them not to feel upset.The most enjoyable to me was working with great people and building rapport with children and parents that I continue to talk to I have worked immensely on creating close relationships with those I work alongside with as well.
It was a great experience to me to also work in a multicultural environment such as the YMCA and meeting so many people.
Pros
great people
Cons
short hours
fun fast paced environment
Day Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2017
fun full of energy kids ready for a full day of activity outdoors and indoors. Planning high energy games and keeping kids active throughout the day at camp
Amazing environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 March 2017
Amazing place to work. extremely positive environment. management can be second tear because of the low salary. They promote from within often. Its a charity so people work there to make a difference.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.