YMCA Employee Reviews

Day at the YMCA
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
The Ymca is a family friendly fitness facility. A typical day would be standing behind the desk and greeting the members while also giving information on the facility. Sold memberships and various other programs the gym offered. Also gave people new to the environment an orientation on how to properly work out and use various machines. The people at this job were phenomenal; both members and staff. I learned a lot about myself and how to interact with others because this was my first job. The hardest part of the job was having to call a member that owed the gym money, it made me very uncomfortable. However, the overall job was fantastic.
Pros
Very healthy job, very lively.
Cons
Salary wasn't the greatest.
Fun, hands on workplace
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 November 2016
-Fun, hands on workplace
-Opportunities to learn new skill sets through PDs and Huddles
-Most enjoyable part of the job is working with the children
Pros
Learn new skill sets, have fun with kids
Cons
Split shifts, lack of communication, disorganized management
N/a
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON29 November 2016
great job if you like helping people
lots of room for growth
lots of perks
people there are super friendly
great job if you like cleaning
very relaxed atmosphere
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Ymca
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON23 November 2016
The YMCA is a great place to work, however working the split shift is not ideal while having to commute. I have been working with the YMCA for two years now (in my third year) and have not yet seen the benefits that the YMCA offers (medical, gym memberships ect)
Diverse and challenging work
Technician Class II (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 November 2016
Each day held new challenges, I enjoyed working with people from many different backgrounds and cultures. At times I had to learn and test my people skills with difficult tenants that had mental issues and families that were new immigrants to ease their transition.

It was very rewarding to see my work make these people happy and relieved in their homes when problems were fixed. These include issues with heat and air conditioning, floods to more basic problems with lighting and acquiring new paint and furniture.

Office personal made me feel very appreciated when I fixed several of their ongoing issues one for example had left persistent leaks in bathrooms for years.

The patrons in the pool gave me reason to be proud when they commented on how clean and crystal clear the water was without a pervasive smell of chlorine.

Working independently without supervision and the full trust of my immediate superior gave me even more motivation to get the job done right and efficiently.

I allowed the smooth transition from work order issues to satisfied customer using innovated fixes that kept us under budget without using expensive materials and outside contractors.
Pros
New and unexpected challenges each day, helping people
Cons
significant layoffs and budget cuts, tripled our workload
Great Job
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 November 2016
Excellent Job with great hours. Would walk in and get the job done. Excellent staff to work with and management is understanding. Everyone works together to achieve a goal
Family values and high standards
Swim Instructor -co-teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2016
YMCA offers quality programs and hires safe, knowledgeable and capable employees.
I learned alot from co-teaching with experienced instructors, enabling me to gain experiences.
Pros
use of facility
Cons
early hours
Instructor (Part-time)/ Membership Desk. (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON15 November 2016
The staff and members are woderful! I love teaching the Yoga classes, and making my students feel great. I always get wonderful feedback from my clients and staff.
Pros
Feeling at home and at ease with my job.
Cons
Not enough hrs.
Great environment to work in
Instructor Guard at the Stoney creek (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 November 2016
The culture around the staff is great. Everyone at the YMCA always has a good attitude and that all starts with how the management treats us. It is always a pleasure to go to work there.
Pros
Free membership
Amazing people to learn and grow from
Student (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 November 2016
YMCA is a program I really enjoy. It helped me grow into the person I am today. I achieved many certificates in my time being there, as in world host, foodsafe, whmis, first aid and costumer service.
Productive Business
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
It would start of with my Managerial Meeting to staff, go over goals and objectives for the day and week. The staff are good to work with but Management does not support employees.
Excellent workplace
HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
Excellent workplace to gain experience in an welcoming atmosphere. The downside of it is the huge workload and tight deadlines. This can be compensated with your team members
Very supportive
Supply Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 November 2016
Working with the YMCA has taugh me a lot. The employees are all unreal and so so so supprtive. I stand by everything the YMCA supports. I thank all the staff for everything they have taught me!
Management was terrible
Life Guard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 October 2016
The full time manager who is supposed to manage all the staff and programs going on on deck never was at work and her duties would fall to me. Without having proper YMCA Management training I tried to deal with each situation as best as possible.

Also when a situation would arise about an instructor or lifeguard, the manager would take the side of the patron. Normally this would be okay, however the guard or instructor would be following code and then get in trouble for it. If the full time manager was actually there and not just blaming people from afar, this would have been a lot more tolerable work experience.
Pros
Peers and Patrons were normally good to work with, Free access to facilities, my girlfriend received a discounted membership, Head lifeguards were great to work with
Cons
Absent management, schedules not made on time, constant state of confusion, lack supplies
Volunteer
South LINC Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2016
I don´t have any salary because I´m a volunteer. My salary is my own satisfaction to help other. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No Cons
Great first child care job to start up
Supply ECA (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 October 2016
I worked in YMCA of Milton and it was always been my joy to work with many children. I learned so much about child care system and program designing helped me to learn how to create program planning for each week based on children's interests. Directors and supervisors were all supportive and friendly.
Pros
You will love your job.
Cons
Times between morning and afternoon shifts.
easy to work with and good bosses
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2016
tiring but interesting work, i learned how to treat good the people especially all the members of ymca that i met everyday on my work.
kind and helpful co worker.
most enjoyable part of my job is to make friend the people i met
Pros
good benefits
Productive and fun workplace
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 October 2016
An experience everyone can enjoy! Fun filled workplace, always a challenge but always support. Plenty of opportunities to take new courses, try new programs and build on current qualifications.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Chlorine
a great place to work!
Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON13 October 2016
A busy workplace with great staff and clients. A discounted membership and on site gym were definite bonuses! The staff turnover started to become an issue and there were a few changes in management that were not conducive to a satisfying work environment. Overall it was a good place to work!
Pros
very engaging work, hot lunch, on site gym & membership
Cons
long days and unpaid lunch
safe and fun environment
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK10 October 2016
YMCA was a great place to work, i had a great time during my employment as i came to know a lot of people that came to exercise at the facility.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
work schedule