YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
great
Early Childhood Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
Pros: good hours and fun programming
Cons: not enough back staff
love working here. great hours. flexible when need be. would suggest working here to anyone who likes working with the community.
Good place
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Rockland, ONApril 23, 2016
Pros: Coworker are there for you
Cons: Low paid, lifeguard by yourself
Great place to work, great coworker. You learn well how to have confidence in yourself. Do not required you a lot of qualifications other that the requirement to become a lifeguard and have their own instructor course.
Fun and learning experience
Part-time Maintenance (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 19, 2016
Prepare necessary equipment needed at the start of the shift. Make sure that the fitness centre and the building is clean and people are satisfied with the environment. Communicate with other staff about their needs for supplies. Maintain the tidiness of the building throughout the day and all equipment are put away at the end of the day. Thoroughly clean washrooms, and locker rooms before end of shift and ready for the next shift to arrive. Co-workers were fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers complements of the clean environment.
fitness
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee), Kingston, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: good until you find a better job plus free membership thats it
Cons: too many to mention
machines are old and dirty alot of high dust new supervisor dont know his job . most staff is great management not so much plus they take penion plan out even if you dont want it which is wrong 0.36 raise in 5 years please management gets theres tho cheers
Wonderful environment for supporting children's growth
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee), Port Perry, ONApril 17, 2016
Pros: Working with children
Cons: Split shifts
Programming for the YMCA is a lot of fun because it requires creativity and is based on children's existing interests. Management and co-workers are supportive of new staff and a wealth of information regarding resources. The most enjoyable part of the job is observing and playing with the children when they are engaged in learning; however, the hardest part of the job is dealing with behavioural challenges in the group.
volunteering with Pickle Ball program
Volunteer Work (Current Employee), St. John's, NLApril 15, 2016
I Really enjoy working at the Y. I help the children with learning and supervising Pickle Ball. This involves setting up the area and getting it ready. It has given me responsibility and an opportunity to learn.
its a good place to work
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 12, 2016
its nice, I like it and it was a fun summer. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to work and gain experience in working with children especially if you are going to be a teacher.
Productive well run with a great job atmosphere!
Camp Councilor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 11, 2016
Learned a great deal of communication and teamwork skills. Great positive energy from other co-workers. Safe and organized management.
A great place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 10, 2016
Pros: great pay, good hours
Cons: scheduling issues
i would rate the YMCA of Peterborough a 5/5 to work, the staff are easy and willing to cover all shifts if you need and getting hours is no problem at all!
YMCA is a great place to work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Cobourg, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros: Great community, flexible hours.
Cons: Working by yourself at times.
YMCA is great as they try to meet your needs to have you meet the clients.
I usually guard and then instruct. I get to work with other great individuals. I have learned much patience and different ways of teaching so that I am able to meet the needs of the children and teenagers I teach.
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and seeing the individuals I have taught succeed.
Fun workplace educating and entertaining children
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work includes activity planning, arts and crafts. As well as supervising children while on class trips. I have learned that I enjoy working with children very much and it is a job placement I would consider in the future again. My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their presence. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children, it was a very fun environment to be in and I overall loved the job.
fun place to work
Membership Sales and Services (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 30, 2016
I would of have liked to work there longer but it was contract work. some times it was overwhelming at times when it had gotten pretty busy. But if I had the chance to work there again, I would totally apply it also gave you a free membership for a year.
Maintaining a clean and safe environment for children and co-workers and instilling good values for the children
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee), Welland, ONMarch 30, 2016
I go into work every day to a room full of fun loving children. My job is to keep them engaged in learning about anything they are interested in.
Enjoyabe environment to work in
Teaching/ECE assistant (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 28, 2016
Pros: Great Staff
Cons: Long hours
Loved my time spent at The YMCA of Western, and everyone I worked with. Everyday was enjoyable, interesting, and a new learning experience for me.
YMCA serves people of all ages, background and ailities through all stages of life.
Customer Service Representative (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
It was a volunteer work. I used to interact and engage with members and prospects to determine needs; assist member on-boarding, handle member's general inquiries and questions, gather information, prepare member records, and issues membership ID cards.
Good place to work at
Membership Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2016
Fun environment with gentle people. Pay is not the best, but you can't expect much more from a charitable organization. If you choose to work for the YMCA, make sure it's not based on the money
It was a learning experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 19, 2016
Pros: Free membership if your willing to do the work
A typical day at work would be to unlock the door to the storage room, sit down on the bench and wait for parents to bring their children downstairs. Sometimes it would not happen, sometimes people would show up.
Very fun and productive kept you on your toes
Junior Counsellor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Energizing
I thought this was a great job experience and taught me a lot of new things. It was a great way to spend my summer. The kids were very fun to be around and very polite the activities were a great way to help really interact with the kids. It was a very warm and welcoming place to be, also it was a location close to home so I didn't mind it. The hours weren't long it was a great way to spend my day.
Well balnced and a fun wotk place to work
Assisting Toddlers Class (Current Employee), YMCA Point Claire, QCMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Free membership
Well balanced and a fun workplace to work with kids and co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see kids how much they love yoga.
Love coming to work, really supportive and fun!
Full Day Kindergarten Supervisor (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: Constant Support
Cons: Split Shifts/ 25 Hours a Week
Really great place to work because everyone is really supportive and encouraging. There is a lot of room for personal creativity during program at the YMCA and the children give a lot of input. Hardest part of the job would be the amount of paperwork there is daily and overall on a yearly level. It is licenced by the Ministry of Education so there is a lot to be on top of in terms of accountability etc. Love coming to work every single day because it doesn't often feel like work.
Headquarters