YMCA Employee Reviews

Fun
Membership Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2017
Good place to work. Got to meet a lot of people from various backgrounds and cultures. Great benefits and very rewarding. Santa Clause breakfast is a great program.
Good Starter Summer Job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC17 August 2017
If you like hanging out with kids and having fun outside for a summer, camp is great! The YMCA has great programs for lower income families and the kids, while sometimes a handful, definitely get a lot out of it — and then so do you!
its fine
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 August 2017
Great focus on team work. Encourage learning and growth with employees.Many different skills involved with working for them. Get to meet many different people
A feel-good organization
DIRECTOR of Computer Services (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 August 2017
Working in the nonprofit field you're never going to get rich.

However the work is rewarding and the staff are great to work with.

You definitely feel like you're making contribution to society when you work for the "Y"
Pros
Sense of contribution to society
Cons
Not the best pay you'll ever receive
Good workplace and nice environment for the children to be apart of
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON17 August 2017
YMCA is a great place for children/youth. There are a variety of activities both indoor and outdoor to keep children and youth entertained. Great place for children and youth to learn life values and morals and build relationships as they meet new people.
Pros
Great co workers, nice neighbourhood
Before and After School
Before and After School (Former Employee) –  Caledon, ON16 August 2017
It was a wonderful company to work for. I did a before and after school program and it was fun to be with children of all ages. Activities were planned and the children enjoyed the activities.
Pros
Split shifts
Cons
Supervisor
Love
Child Minding (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2017
Children are never predictable. It's the best job in the world and it's a privilege to be trusted to be part of their world. It is a very very very good job.
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 August 2017
I participated in the Multicultural Festival. I cooperated with friends to create a performance team and, in addition, participated in the team that represented our country. We also came up with the choreography for the performances. I learned of collaboration and organization. It was a memorable time
really fun and welcoming environment with free pizza for volunteers
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 August 2017
watching kids and teenagers for 3 and a half hours in pretty fun. interacting with them and making sure that the environment is safe for them is very important and not putting 100 percent into keeping an eye on them is critical.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
boring at times
One of the best work environments
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 August 2017
Each student was completely cared for, relaxation, enjoyment
of activities, good relationship with parents. Have fun with movies, games, crafts, gym equipment, walks
Pros
If finished early stIll got paid
Cons
Boss was poor
Productive, fun, family friendly environment
Membership Associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON9 August 2017
Typical day at work includes, assisting and answering membership concerns/inquires. Data entry, filing, front desk management and other administrative duties.
Pros
fun, enjoyable
Cons
not enough hours, a little disorganized
event planner very exciting job
Event planner (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON8 August 2017
only worked this job for 6 months and i loved every second of it. my boss was amazing very attentive and caring. loved being able to plan and organize multiple events throughout my home town that were very successful
agreable
Tuteur de club de devoirs " Par Ici! " (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2017
collaboratif, pluriethnique, aide aux nouveaux arrivants
Having fun doing all different activates with the children
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON8 August 2017
I would go to work and get everything that I needed for the class room out and ready by the door. When the children left the classroom I would bring everything into the room and quickly set everything up where they go and id have to make sure that I had the child's allergy medication on me and making sure that it was expired. Some days I would help another staff get the snacks out and clean them and cut them up for them. Also we would make sure we had everything for snacks so no one had to leave the rooms to go get what they need. What I learned at the YMCA is making friends and helping the children learn new activates, taking the children outside for an hour to play and to get fresh air and to play games with them. There is nothing hard about the job, everything to me seems easy and fast to learn new things. The most enjoyable thing about working at the YMCA is helping the staff, helping the children, keeping the classroom a safe environment and sanitized. I also liked reading and doing fun activates with the children and doing arts and crafts with them. Helping them learn new things and also myself learn new things as well. The staff and the children and the parents and respectful of each and everyone that is there. I also make sure that the children are playing safe and not climbing or fighting or throwing toys or anything at each other. I also make sure that I keep the backpack of everything I need to know about the children and the first aid back as well.
Pros
Working with the children and the staff
Cons
not quiet enough hours
Fun place to work at
School Age Educator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 August 2017
I have great experience working for this organization, I met so many people and made good connections in a friendly environment. I was able to provide support to families who needed care before and after school.
Fun Workplace
School Age Child Care Art Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 August 2017
Nice place to work at. Dealing with kids and family. Good management. Productive. Fun workplace. Good professional development training. Salaries and benefits are yearly updated.
productive
Staff/Assistant Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 August 2017
Nice company to work with. Great Income for a student in high school was good enough. Nice co-workers and kids to work with. Overall great job for the summer.
Pros
good hours
Cons
nothing bad
Great experience
before and after school care (Current Employee) –  guelph on3 August 2017
This has been great experience, I am just not interested in doing before and after hours, I would like a full time job. something I can more up in and keep me interested.
Pros
love being with children
Cons
hours, pay
the pool was the most best place
Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2017
the job is great and awsome place to work at. there are many kids that come in who are mentally challeneged, the management was great. the only hard thing would be the kids and the way of controlling them. but i loved every signal day of my work because i got to work with kids.
Productive and fun to work in. Never a dull day
before and after school care (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 August 2017
show up early set everything up than as soon as the first child shows up its go time. It is a team effort and everyone has to step up to help out the other staff. I learned how to handle fast paced situations better. If there is any information you need to know your supervisors will try to give you the answer with in the first or 2nd day of asking. If there is an inspection for licensing the inspectors are very calming they do not show any aggression. The hardest part about the job is how influenced children are now a days. the most enjoyable part of working here is when you are talking to the kids and you can see the little light bulb above their heads turn on because they understand what you are teaching them.
Pros
Threw the day I was able to get everything at home done.
Cons
if you do not drive it is not easy to get to other centers to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval