YMCA

4.5K reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Most rewarding job I've ever had.
Child Day Care Assistant (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: Educational, loving, and diverse environment.
Cons: No cons.
As I stated in my summary, working for the YMCA was very rewarding, in the sense that I was able to work with such an amazing group of children, meet incredible parents, while working with extremely hard-working and intelligent co-workers.
Unproductive - A great deal of miscommunication
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Goderich, ONJanuary 30, 2016
Lifeguarding
High Turnover
Understaffed - putting lifeguards in a high risk situation
Lack of direction from supervisors and management staff
Enjoy working with members of the community and general public
Productive and social environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 24, 2016
Pros: Enjoyable atmosphere
Cons: Long Hours
Very enjoyable atmosphere
Approachable staff
Taught children and interacted with children
Interacted with parents
Very community oriented staff
enjoy working in a good environment like YMCA
teacher (Former Employee), 230 town centre courtJanuary 12, 2016
really enjoy working with children. like to do different activities with them. working management is so friendly. everyday learning something new in every aspect. co-workers are very co-operative. sometimes dealing with kids kind of challenging.
Good
Marketing Volunteer (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Reviewed, Proofread data content to promote assigned programs, in accordance with membership and marketing plans.

Developed effective working relationships with service groups, community organizations and companies
A fun and gratifying place to work
Welcome Center (Current Employee), Whittier, MBJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Meeting like-minded ambitious people
Cons: Full time not available
Working at the YMCA is a great place because of the culture of the organization. A typical day is anything but typical since I believe we are enriching lives and building the health of our community daily through promoting healthy living.
At the YMCA I have learned the importance of a healthy family, a healthy lifestyle and a healthy community and how creating a positive and nurturing environment for our members is essential for the over all growth of the organization and our community members. At the YMCA we treat all members with dignity and respect and we practice that commitment to service with one another as well.
At the YMCA, I have the opportunity to work alongside upper management, personal trainers and even engage with our CEO. My experience with management has been above par and I always feel like I am important to the team. One of the best aspects of working alongside management is being able to learn from their best practices, especially how they model dealing with sensitive situations.
The most difficult part of the job is dealing with members who are experiencing financial distress and hardships and who are then unable to afford their monthly membership. I have learned the importance of empathy and have had multiple opportunities to practice this skill while working with and for our members to find a solution that fits their financial needs in order for them to keep their membership. Being able to help people in distress and/or finding solutions to problems is the most enjoyable part of the job. We are not just a gym, we are a family where membership – more... means helping, encouraging and supporting each other. – less
Best Work Enviornment Ever
Martial Arts Instructor (Current Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Become phyiscally, mentally and spiritually stronger.
Cons: Endless exercise and training
Working at the YMCA has in short, changed my life. It has provided me an opportunity to do something fun, exciting and challenging while also giving back to the community. The staff at the YMCA are incredible, they always give me a lot of motivation, support and really make me feel like I belong. As a martial arts instructor, a lot of people are looking up to you and depending on you. I consider myself to be a good leader, I enjoy what I do, I enjoy teaching students and providing them with help and it gives me incredible pride and joy when I see students that I personally coach achieve their goals.
Fun Place
Housing Supervisor Downtown (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2015
Down Town YMCA is a fun and rewarding place to work. The talk and the staff care about their job. The hardest part of the job is seeing residents trying to find stable living and failing.
Great place to work. Friendly staff, they make you feel like family.
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee), Saint John, NBNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Loved the work I was doing.
Cons: Part time hours. Hours varied week to week
A typical day at work, was coming in a few minutes early to check the communication binder. To see if there was any new information that I needed to know. I have learned many new skills working with this company. Such as patients, listening and communication skills, time management, budgeting, multitasking just to name a few. Also worked with children with varying needs and abilities. My coworkers were friendly and easy to work with. The same with the management if you ever had a question they were there with the door open to help you out in whatever way they could. The hardest part was dealing with sensitive information. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the public and the children.
Fun
Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Burlington, ONNovember 27, 2015
I enjoyed my work with the YMca. They gave me a free gym membership and taught me many transferable skills. I was able to plan a lot of my childcare programming and work both on an individual basis and with a team.
awesome job
Weight Spotter (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCNovember 24, 2015
worked with awesome people love helping everyone that needed help had a great time i miss this job loved the people i was working with .....
Great Environment
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 21, 2015
Pros: Playing Sports on the job
I absolutely loved the volunteer placement at the YMCA the environment was great the work i was doing wit the kids was enjoyable the hardest part of the job was the transportation of getting there other then that there really was nothing wrong. In the placement where I was I had one co-worker and he was a real help.
I have learned how to work well with kids and developed a real liking to them.
Productive team
Child Minder (Former Employee), Cobourg, ONNovember 17, 2015
Pros: Free gym access
Cons: short shifts
Excellent work environment. Friendly and sociable employees. Loved meeting new families and children. Felt very secure and safe at work at all times
Productive and fun place with many activities to do.
Eva Rothwell Day Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONNovember 13, 2015
It is a great environment to be in and is based on great intentions on helping the community. The place is very clean and it is just an amazing atmosphere.
Productive and fun place to work with kids
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee), Oakville, ONNovember 9, 2015
Pros: Friendly environment
Cons: Salary
A typical day at work included running "ice breakers" with you campers to help them familiarize with each other and find similar interests as well as make friends. As the day proceeded, you would run active and passive games with campers to keep them entertained and active making sure to include regular water and snack and lunch breaks. At the end of the day the counsellor with ask for feedback on how each campers day was and what games and activities the campers preferred. Campers would then be handed over to parents for pickup
Some nice Members and a few nice staff
volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
Pros: Some Staff are nice and some Members
Cons: Politics, favourtism, games, backstabbing, lies, bullying
I was a Volunteer for a long time here. Biggest mistake of my life.
There's too much Politics, favouritism, and games for my liking.
If you want to be used, lied to, stabbed in the back, sabotaged then this is the place for you. There are too many snitches among Staff, Volunteers, and Members. Some Members and some Staff are great.
They got free labour out of me.
The YMCA
Cycle Fitness Instructor (Former Employee), Rockland, ONOctober 21, 2015
Pros: Working with amazing people
Cons: Low pay due to non profitable organization.
Working for the YMCA is excellent way to get involved with the community. The best thing about the job is the various people you will meet on the job including the parents and children and other various members.
I worked as an on call basis
Early Childhood Educator/ Supply (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 20, 2015
It was great to gain some expereince in the field of my profession. i learned lots by being able to work with all age groups with in a childcare setting.
Great opportunity to help the community.
Counsellor/Animator (Current Employee), montreal,QCOctober 20, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Salary
Fun workplace that gives employees the opportunity to have on impact on the community.
Great teamwork, your co-workers become like family.
Personal trainer/Wellness coach
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), SarniaOctober 19, 2015
Doing this job has been very rewarding and self satisfying, working with people who want to change their lifestyle and habits. It's a great feeling being a big impact in someones life in a positive way.
Headquarters