YMCA Employee Reviews for Camp Counselor

Fun work environment.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 December 2017
Working for the YMCA at Camp Thunderbird was an amazing experience. They hire the most capable staff ensuring you can always rely on your coworkers. The best part of the job was being able to deliver memorable experiences to clients.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Long working periods
YMCA Summer Day Camp
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC11 September 2017
Great summer job for high school/ university students as it allows lots of time in the sun, time filled with amazing activities. Since the manager is off site, you get to be autonomous and self-managed.
Kids and parents are pleasant.
Pros
Easy, fun, doesnt feel like job.
Cons
Days start early and are long. (Mon-Fri, 8-9hrs/day)
Great staff
ON N1G 4M3- Camp Counselor (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 September 2017
Volunteering at the YMCA was a great opportunity and really helps me prepare for jobs in my future. The management was great and always listened to my feedback. A typical day at work was very time consuming and full of fun. Working with children definitely helped me with patience. The hardest part of the job was working with children who where difficult.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
great place to work and learn a new language
Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Victoriaville, QC6 September 2017
it was a great opportunity to go to quebec and be able to work there but at the work place the people did not really care about you and didnt try to help with the fact i couldnt speak french
Good Starter Summer Job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC17 August 2017
If you like hanging out with kids and having fun outside for a summer, camp is great! The YMCA has great programs for lower income families and the kids, while sometimes a handful, definitely get a lot out of it — and then so do you!
Fun and rewarding work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 July 2017
The YMCA is a great company to work for. Day camps are fun to work and great way to introduce yourself to education. It is very rewarding work but tiring .
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Counsellor at a camp that spent 1/2 the summer in the city of Lethbridge and the other 1/2 in the mountains of Waterton Lakes National Park!
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 July 2017
This was a fantastic experience! I was in charge of creating and running daily activities for upwards of 100 children, including games, physical exercises, field trips and art activities. I was able to perfect group management skills and worked with 10 other counselors, some older and others younger than myself. I was able to live in and experience a new province, as for the first 6 weeks of the job, day camp was held in the city of Lethbridge, at the YMCA. The later 6 weeks of the job saw everyone pack up and move to isolated cabins in the mountains of Waterton Lakes National Park, where we were but off from civilization- we did not have electricity, television or even telephones. To live in nature in this way was a marvelous challenge and created closely knit friendships between all the workers. We depended on each other, and did not fail in our duties to one another, the children, or the camp. For these 6 weeks, the job was 24 hours a day/ seven days a week, non-stop. It was intense but unforgettable.
Pros
Living in the Rocky Mountains.
Cons
Not a single day off for 6 straight weeks.
Supervisors with no moral obligations
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Westmount, QC29 June 2017
I saw a colleague of mine physically abusing a child with special needs. When I asked my supervisor to get him to stop, he stood there, watched and even participated in hurting the child (the supervisor and colleague were friends). I then had to explain the bruises to the child's parents. The supervisors care more about protecting their friends instead of doing the right thing, even when it comes to the safety of the kids.
I've seen numerous incidents where the supervisors were directly involved in putting the safety of the kids at risk (too many to list here).
I've also experience bullying, racism and discrimination by my supervisors.
This is not a healthy workplace and it wont be until there is a new management team.
Pros
the kids are great
Cons
Supervisors have no moral obligations and they don't care about the kids.
Fun but stressful workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2017
A typical day is action packed, fun but tiring. Learnt lot about dealing with kids, especially the difficult ones (how to calm the down, how to get them to understand). Management left a lot up to the workers, but it worked out. Hardest part of the job was keeping the kids under control. The most enjoyable part was when everything went smoothly and everyone had fun.
Pros
Working with fun people and kids
Cons
long hours that can make you very tired
A ton of fun
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Parham, ON10 May 2017
The primary reason you should work here is for your future. In no way is this a job to acquire money as the pay is horrible. This job is purely for fun and you must be outgoing and enjoy the outdoors. Lots of time is required for this field.
Pros
Free food, great memories
Cons
Long hours, while summer gone.
Caring employees.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON4 May 2017
The YMCA is a great place to work if you are a fun person who doesn't mind working with others and likes working with children. The issue is that being fond of working with children means that the Y's need to bring down the quality of food and other childcare benefits is insufferable. That being said the YMCA takes care of lots of great families and has some of the most terrific employees you will ever meet.
Camp is fun!
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 May 2017
Being at YMCA Virtual Y camp, you are meant to teach children lessons in math, english, and other areas of learning. But the campers teach you so much more lessons in life, it is priceless!
Pros
Fun!
Cons
Long days
By far my favourite working experience.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Quispamsis, NB30 March 2017
Working here I always had a smile on my face, so many different personalities and fun adventures everyday. Learned so many new life skills working at the Y. 100% recommend working under the team leads here some of the best people you will ever meet.
Pros
Amazing working environment.
Cons
Patients will be tested. Not a position for those who lack a sense of adventure.
Fun and outdoor summer job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2017
Really enjoyed working with kids this summer at an all outdoors day camp. The one downside was our wage as we got paid daily and didn't get paid past 8 hours.
Good summer job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 January 2017
It is a good summer camp to work for, as they provide you with plenty of training and support once you are with the campers. The only problem I would say was that there are not enough counselors on the team. Although the ratio is clearly explained during the training, it is often not enough to really keep track of everything, and we could use one more camp coordinator. Both our coordinators were wonderful and really worked hard, but the workload was very overwhelming for all of us, because we could not split the job more.
Good experience overall.
Fun place but very tough work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint-Sauveur, QC16 December 2016
The day starts off in many different ways. It could be calm and regular with the bell just like everybody else, or it could be by the sounds of your campers screaming in the early hours of the morning. You never really know what will happen. The job itself is very fun and very rewarding. It can be tough since the hours are long and it requires a lot of creativity but it is all worth it in the end. Seeing the kids smile because of an activity you thought up or because of a joke you made will make your heart melt.
Always a fun and positive environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2016
Everyday at the YMCA is a learning day and the staff is able to solve any issue that comes thier way. Everyone at the YMCA is friendly and makes the workplace enjoyable!
active work space environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 August 2016
-bad pay, not worth the hard work
-outside all day
-physically draining
i dont even want to write this review but indeed is making me, i hate when sights make you fill surveys out
Pros
workers are nice
Cons
poor pay
A good environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON30 July 2016
the staff members are very friendly and has everyone's support. New campers or returning campers get along very well with staff members. Have to be full of energy and think well on the spot. you learn something new everyday
dont do if your not good with kids
Day Camps Counselor-In-Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2016
i thought i liked kids before taking this job, but that changed about a week into the job. its basically a stay outside all day and be cheerful and yell at kids type of job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.