YMCA Employee Reviews

It is a fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Quinte West, ON20 November 2017
It is a pleasant environment to work in,
Members and staff are friendly. The pay does not match the job requirements. this maybe because it is a charity organization. Very little room for advancement.
Pros
discounted membership or free membership
Cons
very early starts and late closes, only day that the facility is closed is Christmas day, open on all stat holidays including family day
Great learning experience
Internship Training (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 November 2017
this was a great place to learn new skills and how to adapt with the ever changing work force met a lot of really nice friendly people as well what more can I say
environnement amusant
animatrice (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 November 2017
j'étais animatrice, je m'occuper de petits enfants et je les divertissais. Avec la musique, on s'amuser énormément. j'ai appris à calmer des enfants , une tâche pas mal dure. Le salaire était minimale pour les heures que je travaillais. Heureusement, j'aimais les enfants.
Pros
Divetissement
Cons
bas salaire
Great place to work, low wages
Membership (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON17 November 2017
You work here because you love your job, not because you love money. It's great to help children and Parents in need and to see the direct impact on the community.
positive work environment
Day Camp Programmer (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON15 November 2017
great environment to work in, staff and members are all very friendly. everyone works together as a team, very safe and judgment free zone. really love the family the Y is!
community
Lodge Host (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BC15 November 2017
I have worked with the YMCA exclusively at YMCA Camp Elphinstone and attended the camp as a child. It is a great environment for both campers and employers.
Wow
Moniteur de camp de jour (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2017
Expérience de travail magnifique remplie de bons souvenirs
Upbeat atmosphere, supportive staff
Day Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ON12 November 2017
The YMCA of Innisfil was a very positive environment to work in, the staff were very friendly and the managers were extremely supportive. I would recommend the camp job to anyone looking for a fun-filled summer.
pleasant beggining
Early Childhood Educator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON12 November 2017
You do minimal work with the opportunity to move on up quickly in the company if you know someone within the company. It is a very good start to any career.
A Starting Point for Young People
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2017
If you are looking for a company where you can grow your career, the Y is not the place for you. They employ mostly young people and expect them to leave for better job opportunities, therefore they do not invest much in their employee training and development.
Pros
Fitness opportunities
Cons
Toxic Culture
fun place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON9 November 2017
I was volunteer at the YMCA in Collingwood, for about two years. The YMCA is a great place to be, I loved hanging out with the kids and playing with them. I did cooking classes and taught soccer classes. It was lots of fun, I think the kid enjoyed themselves too!
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Tired
great place
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 November 2017
the YMCA was a great place to work they have a pool and a ping pong in the lobby. the front desk people are great with a sense of humor. I would defiantly go back.
Great middle management working hard under brutal conditions
Educational Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 November 2017
Job can be monotonous or overwhelming depending on the day. Few breaks or changes of pace. However, lots of job security and salary and benefits are very reasonable.
Hard but rewarding work with great pay and benefits.
Cleaning Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 November 2017
Started out as a cleaner and was promoted to supervisor after 3 years. The site manger taught me how to prepare the payroll, order supplies and deal with employee issues through weekly and impromptu meeting. A very satisfying job with great pay and benefits. People were supportive and appreciative. Hardest part of the job was payroll and employee disciplining. The best part of the job was receiving compliments from the various department heads and customer on the quality and level of cleanliness of the site it meant that I was an effective supervisor and leader of my team.
Pros
Free membership for me and my husband
Cons
As supervisor was responsible for 3 shifts, Had to replace sick workers, had to work if no replacement found.
A government run, french speaking daycare
Child Care and maintenance assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint-Lambert, QC4 November 2017
In the morning go would help welcome kids and then I would stay and help with snack time, from there I would do chores around the building and hep different leaders with what ever they needed, I would often help with the preparation and distribution of lunch. The hardest part of the job was communication near the beginning due to the fact that they didn't speak any english, either than that I thoroughly enjoyed working there.
I enjoy working with diversity
Manager on Duty/Membership Services (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 November 2017
I have learned a lot of things here. A fun place to work and meet the community. It's fulfilling that you are able to see people are happy coming to this facility.
Productive and friendly workplace
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 November 2017
Supportive employees who are family oriented. Excellent forum for assisting people who are looking for job skills and employment. The environment is inclusive and educational.
Pros
Free Luches
alright
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON2 November 2017
Fun people to work with, other than supervisors and managers who often expected you to do jobs that were above your pay grade and you were unqualified for,.
Kingston Branch Poorly Managed Aquatics
On-Deck Supervisor, Swim Instructor & Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 November 2017
The aquatics department for the Kingston Branch of the YMCA was extremely poorly managed. We had frequent occurrences of not having enough lifeguards for the number of patrons and break requirements. Staff could simply not show up for their shifts with absolutely no explanation and not fear any repercussions for their unreliability. The "rolling registration" system used for swimming lessons was not actually implemented, so kids just got stuck in large mixed level classes with no benefit.
Good work experience
CLIMBING INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 October 2017
My experience with YMCA was pretty good, even though the salary is way too low compared to other places I enjoyed working here. Co workers were friendly and caring.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.