3,949 reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun place and great learning experience
Counselor (Former Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Good workers
Cons: None
Typical day would start at 8 in the morning. We'd check in all the kids and get them settled. Then we would start with an activity like an art and crafts. After that was finished we would go to the gym or outside and play games. Then lunch would come with an hour break around 12. My day would end around usually 4-4:30
Not bad at all
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBAugust 16, 2015
The work life at the Y was very well rounded. i had ample time to get the job doe. odd times there was too much time and it was a very long day going by very slow.
Very friendly place to volunteer at , and very wheelchair accessible
Volunteer (Current Employee), Oshawa OntarioAugust 12, 2015
Pros: very friendly staff, great environment, friendly people that come in to workout.
Cons: very slow, not a lot to do, and keep busy all the tme
cleaning equipment upstairs, meet and greet, pick up towels and water bottles that were left on the floor.. I would always be willing to do anything else out of my comfort zone, I would look for other jobs to do other than what I am expected to do . I have learned to be independant, and always there with a friendly smile on my face, ,
Fun environment loving community
1-to-1 Care Worker (Former Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 9, 2015
I was responsible for integrating a child with disabilities into a group of children without disablities into a sportive and interactive environment. I leaned to be more patient and appreciative of life and opportunities. my co-workers all were dedicated fun and active all on board to meet the needs of the camp goals. The hardest part of my was sometimes integrating the children into groups because they didn't want to be bothered at times. The fun part of my job was just being in the fun environment and interacting with the children
Educational and Energetic Work Environment
School age Childcare Worker (Former Employee), Burlington, ONAugust 7, 2015
Pros: The relationships I made with the children and parents.
Cons: Sometimes feeling overwhelmed or understaffed.
Working for the school aged program was educational in the sense that I learned different ways in which to better care for children than before my employment. I really enjoyed watching the children grow and improve under our care. Not only did I establish a great relationship with the children but the parents as well, which to me was just as important. A tough part of my position at the YMCA was sometimes feeling understaffed at certain schools I worked at.
SJS Counselor/ Resource Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2015
Overall, a great work experience for a student who wants to work in a social work environment. The environment is peaceful and friendly.
Great opportunities for in house training
Member/Resident Services (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 31, 2015
I have learned a lot about people of all different backgrounds and social situations while greeting members, working with wonderful coworkers and helping people in achieving their health and fitness goals.
The YMCA provides a great environment for learning and trying new things. Over the years I have been able to train to become a swimming instructor, a lifeguard and a standard first aid instructor. By working in multiple departments I have been able to learn more about customer service, learn how to take an inquiry to the end, if I don't know the answer I know where to go to get it and leave customers feeling that their needs were met before they leave. I have also learned a lot about active listening. Learning about what a person's interests are and how to tailor services to their needs.
Friendly Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 31, 2015
• Organized and maintained up-to-date files for customers and employees
• Received and directed all incoming and outgoing calls and made follow-up calls on clients
• Drafted, edited and typed legal documents and correspondence for manager
Great Work Culture
IT Analyst (Current Employee), 2200 Yonge Street Suite 300July 31, 2015
Pros: great work culture and people
Cons: wages could be better
Great place to work with the opportunity to learn different jobs. The association does good work for the youth in the GTA
Very Accepting
Instructor/Guard/ Aquafit Instructor (Former Employee), London OntarioJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Free gym membership
Cons: Long hours, pool deck heat
The YMCA was my home for 4 years. It was truly the most perfect place to work my first job.

A typical day at work involved teaching people young and old the basics of swimming. People of all ethnicity and religions.

Each day I was able to speak to patrons and learn so much about them. I was able to become close with so many wonderful people. It was so perfectly amazing, and I was so incredibly happy to be able to communicate with people on a daily basis.

I could not have asked for more fantastic co-workers while I worked at the YMCA. They truly became my family, every single one of them. I could go to them for help and advice. My senior co-workers helped me to progress and further advance myself in the workplace. They helped me to get over many bumps I had along the way, and to better myself as an employee.

The first 2 years management was fantastic. If i ever had a problem, my manager was right there to help me through it. With no judgement, only support.

But sadly management changed, and the support system became very strained. The support seemed to no longer be there. I started feeling judged and ridiculed if I ever came to anybody with a problem or a suggestion.

In the end, the management was my reason for resigning my position.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing members progress with their swimming/ fitness skills. Having people thank me for changing their lives for the better and helping them become healthier in their lives. Was so incredibly rewarding.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 24, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: not alot of hours
awsome place to work everyone is very nice even management and the best part of the job was helping people and making them feel goo about there self and the co-workers were awsome to work with
Great place to work, friendly staff
Wellness Coach (Former Employee), Lambton Shores, ONJuly 22, 2015
I very much so enjoyed working at the YMCA, getting up at 5am to open up the gym was no big deal because of the atmosphere your co-workers brought to the table.
YMCA Canada
Camp counsellor (Former Employee), Exshaw, ABJuly 20, 2015
Overall an awesome thriving environment that provides so much for communities. From city day camps, gyms, swimming, assistance and amazing camps world wide it is a very well known solid foundation in many communities worldwide.
Great volunteer experience!
Health and Fitness - Adults Program Assistant (Former Employee), ScarboroughJune 20, 2015
As a volunteer, I was helping in the fitness area to be properly set and clean, and to provide information to clients and staff. My responsibility was to check if everything is in place for the best clients' experience in the gym.
Great people working with a lot of amazing kids
Support Assistant (Current Employee), Oakville, ONJune 19, 2015
Pros: relaxed environment
I come to work everyday, and get to hang out with smart kids and watch them learn and grow. My co workers and I provide a safe environment for the kids to play outside, teach them about teamwork and cooperation. We also provide them with a healthy snack and free play in the class room until their guardians pick them up.
productive and fun workplace. great people
Co-op student (Former Employee), 500 durry lane burlingtonJune 10, 2015
Pros: working with children
Cons: no complaints
on Wednesdays I ran a child program from 8 am till 12 it was the highlight of my week I love working with children and being around people.
LOVED my job
Youth Programmer (Former Employee), Sault Ste. MarieJune 8, 2015
Pros: Children, People, Flexible, Input Welcome
Cons: Hours, Youth Program Cuts, Lay-offs
Working with children is the best part of the job. I enjoyed my job because the people I worked with were so nice, and the lesson plans were flexible. There was also a lot of room for input and suggestions. It was a great place to work.
fabulous experience
Professeur d'anglais (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJune 2, 2015
Handling a classroom of students and teaching them the subject that has been assigned
Take daily attendance and teach students proper behavior
Maintain discipline amongst students
Assign homework and tasks that will help in their overall development to students
Find new and productive ways of teaching students, that will help them learn faster, and more efficiently
Pay special attention to weak students, and students with learning disabilities like dyslexia
Communicate with parents of each student, and inform them of their child's development in school
Coordinating with other colleagues and the principal of the school
Teach students of ethical and moral ways to live in the society
Maintain good and friendly relationships with the students and their parents, so that they can communicate openly with the teacher
Teach from the curriculum decided by the educational authorities, but also give suggestions for improving it
Finish the course on time and teach the students performance targets set by the school
Complete all other tasks and duties given by the Supervisor on time
Attend all the students and teachers meeting
Participate in all the school's functions
Fun environment but not the job for me
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Innisfil, ONMay 31, 2015
Pros: Free membership
Cons: Small pay
Although I have fun working here at the YMCA as a part-time employee, there are some down sides, such some supervisor talk to you as if you are a child and cannot understand a word that they are saying.
Great staff and great diverse work experience.
Job Coach (Former Employee), Grand Falls-Windsor, NLMay 25, 2015
Pros: short work days.
Cons: high traffic area.
The best part of working at the YMCA was being a part of the team/staff. We showed up in welcoming attitudes and relied on each other to welcome each and every member that came in for their workouts/activities.

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more