YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

Encouraging and inclusive work environment
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Port Elgin, ONJuly 20, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for the YMCA and learned a lot from my time there. The staff is fantastic and constantly went beyond the typical job requirements to ensure each child benifited from the program each and every day.
Welcoming and family oriented
Youth and Preschool Staff (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 18, 2016
Very family friendly. Staff are always welcoming, cheerful and helpful. The YMCA is a good way for families to spend time together and allow the whole family to socialize with others and make relationships.
Experience? Bad
Membership Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 18, 2016
This was my first job and I hated it. WORST experience ever. Some of the co-workers treated me like bad and even though it was just for the summer, I couldn't wait to finish it.
Pros
lunch time
Cons
co-workers
Productive workplace
Locker room attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2016
A typical workplace looked like me going around the gym folding the towels. I learned to be productive and taught me a lot about being organized. The management was good as they did their best to put me in good workplace with good conditions. My co-workers were really nice as well and taught me many things about job responsibilities. Overall I enjoyed working here and would recommend.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Great Manager in Debbie Dickson and Great place to work.
Payroll & Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 8, 2016
There is always something to keep you busy. The people are great to work for and the employees are very easy to get along with.
Pros
Awesome place to work for
Cons
Paid Parking
did volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 7, 2016
they needed more activities for the kids and for it to be more outdoors and fun I found that it was lacking in that department.
professional and safe environment to work in
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 7, 2016
I work for the before and after school with school age children. I also worked with the kindergarteners throughout the day.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
split shifts
very demanding for clientele
Landlord Requment / Inhome Support worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 2, 2016
home visits, phone calls partnerships in-service meetings support clientele and convince landlord requiement of safe keeping the peace. having to deal with Authorities in neccessary. children are safe.
Pros
positive outcomes
Horrible Management
Membership Information Desk Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 30, 2016
The Hamilton YMCA is a horrible place to work and workout. When I worked there, the management was horrible. Do not waste your money at the YMCA. Go to another gym and spend your money there :).
Cons
Horrible Management
Fantastic place to work
Life Guard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
A typical day a work consists of phenomenal interaction with fellow employees as well as patrons. I have learned a great deal about how to stay calm in stressful situations and how to plan for the worst but expect the best. The management is fantastic and they are always available to talk to. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with my co-workers and the patrons that use the facility.
Nice staff and atmosphere
Information and Referral Specialist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 28, 2016
I am a placement student here and YMCA staff is too good. I would like to work here and get more experience in such organization.
kitchen assistant ,supply teacher
Supply Teacher, kitchen assistant (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ONJune 26, 2016
I receive the lunch for the kids than prepare it for the kids send it to the rooms after they finish I do the dishes
afternoon I work supply teacher ,play with the kids give them the snack do activity with them help 3 rooms with the kids than work in the kitchen
I worked every day 6 to 7 hours
I like to work at the YMCA but I'm looking for full time now i'm part time
Pros
good benefit, respect the employee
Cons
work hard
Fun work place
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 24, 2016
I prepared food for children every time I attended the YMCA. Also provided a healthy and sanitized area for children to play all day long. Planned events for kids to play and enjoy at their time at the YMCA.
receptionist with YMCA as a volunteer
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONJune 21, 2016
I work with YMCA as a receptionist volunteer in 2007 , I learned Data typing so i transfer the documents from the paper into the computer , sending emails to the employers, faxing , scanning , answering on the phone and send each customer to the employer he/she need it,
my co-workers was good and helper , when i need something they dont hesitate to answer me , help me too much,,
I was happy when i did this job as a receptionist and i like that and i wish to complete with them again one day..
Cons
regular hours
dont do if your not good with kids
Day Camps Counselor-In-Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 20, 2016
i thought i liked kids before taking this job, but that changed about a week into the job. its basically a stay outside all day and be cheerful and yell at kids type of job
Non profit organization
Membership Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJune 19, 2016
My favourite part of the day was when I was able to review applications for financial assistance and be able to help families to be able to send their children to camp at a very low cost.
worked on service desk
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 19, 2016
Work required a lot of setting, but it was fun meeting new people and getting involved in actives sometimes. Often I was in charge of many task at once, it would get hard during peek hours.
a supportive place to work
Day Camp Coordinator and Preschool Supivisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 14, 2016
It was a great place to work everyone was pulling together for the greater success.

It was a fun upbeat place to work and they treated staff really well. I always felt as though I was respected and supported.
Pros
getting to use all the facility's
gain experince
Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2016
work together as a team or independently working in the different locations around edmonton
gained experience in doing daily maintenance tasks that helped maintain the buildings equipment
Badminton,Cricket
Voiunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 10, 2016
I like to play cricket, badminton sometime football,baseball. I enjoy my game whenever I play these sports. It gives me relief of my pressure.