YMCA Employee Reviews

No Room for Advancement
Security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
If you're a graduate looking for a place to gain experience; this may be a good place to start. But don't stay too long - it won't be worth your while. Unless you are in upper management, VP, SVP or CEO; your raise will be less than 1%. Your performance review means absolutely nothing and your raise was already decided 365 days ago - which is that lousy 1%.
Again, great place to start. Good pension plan if you're willing to ride the waves on the same salary for the next 20 years. But move on as there won't be any advancement.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Very low raises, management, no inclusiveness
Provides loads of training opportunities and promotes healthy living
Supervisor of Child, Youth and Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 November 2016
Long hours, irregular work schedules, some managers need to retire or learn how to better coach and support direct reports. Members and staff are usually great and building relationships is the key to the Y approach. Rewarding work if you enjoy people and working with kids and diverse populations.
Pros
Benefits are good if you can secure full time work. Salary not ideal - hourly is the way to go!
Cons
Not any place close to market value to comparitive work.
Interesting if you enjoy working with kids.
Assistant Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 August 2016
Its a decent place to work if you have the schooling necessary to get paid more than the bare minimum, the hours are random and can change on a dime everyday. A few of my coworkers even go on EI over the summer because there isnt enough work for everyone when school is out. There is no to minimal benefits and then can and will change the wording of your work contract to not give you benefits The women whom I work with sometimes can be petty and weild any small amount of power they have over the lesser folks. Some of them are the nicest people I have every met but most will ignore you. You can and will be fired at the slightest thing done wrong as it is childcare and will be investigated for the slightest mishap even if you haven't had the proper training.
One good thing is seeing the kids smiles when you've made up an activity and they all love it. It almost makes it all worth it.
Pros
Freedom to control what you do.
Cons
Random hours, low pay.
Everything is excellent for a customer service position
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2017
Duties include delivering excellent customer service and creating membership contracts for new members.

Very fun and friendly environment. Great managers and a lot of opportunities for raises and/or promotions.
Pros
Almost everything one would want in their job or career
Cons
Some customers can be rude
Day at the YMCA
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
The Ymca is a family friendly fitness facility. A typical day would be standing behind the desk and greeting the members while also giving information on the facility. Sold memberships and various other programs the gym offered. Also gave people new to the environment an orientation on how to properly work out and use various machines. The people at this job were phenomenal; both members and staff. I learned a lot about myself and how to interact with others because this was my first job. The hardest part of the job was having to call a member that owed the gym money, it made me very uncomfortable. However, the overall job was fantastic.
Pros
Very healthy job, very lively.
Cons
Salary wasn't the greatest.
Flexible work schedule, fun environment, great co-workers.
Supervisor of Adult Health and Fitness (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 August 2016
The YMCA is really a fun place to work. The people, co workers and members, are lovely; it's very rewarding.

I have gained much knowledge and experience working for the YMCA such as management/leadership skills, customer service as well as technical skills to include more certification in the fitness industry.

I love working for a charity because I see the positive results of the work we do.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little advancement
No room for advancement
Membership Host (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ON3 May 2016
For a working parent, not an ideal job. Little room for advancement and minimal opportunity for increase in wages.
Expectation to work open and close in order to get hours even after years of seniority makes it impossible to get many hours.
Unrealistic amount of tasks given. For example, front desk membership staff are also expected to assist in other areas, do laundry, run a snack bar, be duty manager if needed and do pool tests and building walk arounds as well as financial assistance meetings with no monetary compensation.
Direct management is over worked and therefor that trickles down onto the employees.
High rate of turn over due to all of these reasons.
Management was terrible
Life Guard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 October 2016
The full time manager who is supposed to manage all the staff and programs going on on deck never was at work and her duties would fall to me. Without having proper YMCA Management training I tried to deal with each situation as best as possible.

Also when a situation would arise about an instructor or lifeguard, the manager would take the side of the patron. Normally this would be okay, however the guard or instructor would be following code and then get in trouble for it. If the full time manager was actually there and not just blaming people from afar, this would have been a lot more tolerable work experience.
Pros
Peers and Patrons were normally good to work with, Free access to facilities, my girlfriend received a discounted membership, Head lifeguards were great to work with
Cons
Absent management, schedules not made on time, constant state of confusion, lack supplies
easy to work with and good bosses
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2016
tiring but interesting work, i learned how to treat good the people especially all the members of ymca that i met everyday on my work.
kind and helpful co worker.
most enjoyable part of my job is to make friend the people i met
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Great environment to work in
Instructor Guard at the Stoney creek (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 November 2016
The culture around the staff is great. Everyone at the YMCA always has a good attitude and that all starts with how the management treats us. It is always a pleasure to go to work there.
Pros
Free membership
Swim Instructor/ Life Guard
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 November 2016
Working with the YMCA teaches a lot about team building and creating a fun, healthy environment for young adults to enjoy their healthy lifestyle.
My typical day at work would be to instruct kids on their swimming abilities and applying various learning techniques as well as guarding other people from hazards and dangers of the aquatic community
I learned a lot about organizing, time management, responsibility skills-and getting along with others.
The hardest part of the job would be the responsibility
The most enjoyable part of the job would be engaging with the kids and employees
Great company but stressful work environment.
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2016
Certain senior management undervalue employees, show a lack of respect. No opportunity for growth and career advancement. Favoritism. Very poor communication between management and staff.
Working at the Y
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 September 2016
While working with the YMCA, the environment with my fellow coworkers, children, and general public was friendly, safe, and healthy. I increased in interpersonal skills, organizational skills, problem solving, and the ability to work efficiently under pressure. However, the communication between management or staff in higher positions was minimal when in need of assistance. This did teach me to work well independently in every situation that occurred. The hardest part of the job is the pressure placed by the management team. There was no direct nor friendly support received by anyone above my positions. The expectations were too high in the sense that there were no breaks even though all staff were required to work with children for 8+ hours/day. This caused problems because, the necessity of breaks left the majority of my staff team feeling burned out while management continued to get upset if we were to be, for example, sitting down to eat our lunches while supervising activities.The most enjoyable part of this job was the rewarding feeling at the end of the day when you have a respectable bond with each child and their families.
Pros
Free 1-year gym membershi, lifelong friendships, a long list of new skills/experience, and the rewarding moments.
Cons
Long hours, No breaks/overtime pay, unreliable management team
Good working experience
PERSONNAL TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Rockland, NB10 September 2016
Friendly staff
Great work environment
Allowed me to work in my field all while gaining valuable work experience for my future career.
I was able to focus on my personal strengths as well as help others develop strengths and help them work on fixing weaknesses
Pros
free membership
Cons
salary
respectful and enjoyable
Child Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2016
challenging
positive feed back
advancements
good communication between co-workers and management
trainings provided
free memberships
discounts on childcare for employees
Pros
enjoying lunch with the children plus an hour lunch break
Cons
not always with an age group that suits your abilities
fun socializing,training and workshops
Youth Job Connection Participant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON19 November 2016
To me, it wasnt what i would consider a job, it was more just working on your skills/training in a active workplace/environment, I've socialized with people and other students from mine and other schools, in the matter of participating in the training and workshops, i (indeed) learned more when i was done, then before when i first started.
Pros
Every hour completed i was paid minimum-wage/ $11.40
Cons
long hours and bad hours
Child Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
A typical work day involves planning activities for K to 6 kids and then carrying them out. If you enjoy working with kids this age then you will enjoy this job. There is a decent amount of record keeping and cleaning that goes with the other work and generally I found there was not enough time given for this work. Managing your time is definitely the hardest part of the job.

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers but did clash with one or two of them about how to handle different situations. Management was great however.
Pros
Free snacks, fun job, a lot of play involved
Cons
Low pay, not enough time for tasks
amazing
Assist teachers/ ECE (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 February 2017
I really enjoyed working with this company. Everything about it was great, no complaints. The management was great too. I felt like everyone who worked there was so passionate about what they did (the children), and ya over all a great place to work.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not enough hours
My Opinion
Manager, Payroll & Benefits (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2016
I respect the organization and everything it does. I left because of personal reasons. I had tremendous belief in the organization and the mission for the first 9 months I was there. There were many circumstantial changes which no one could do anything about. In March 2016, there was a change in leadership and we just did not see eye to eye on where we had come from or where we were going to go. I would never issue a company an ultimatum on pick me or pick another person, so I chose to leave as that was best for me.
Pros
great community serviice
Cons
new leadership who do not understand the YMCA purpose
productive and fun
youth leadership camp volunteer leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 January 2017
fun and productive workplace, the environment was amazing and it provided further opportunities for full time employment and at a young age provided some quality experiences.
Pros
some lunches and snacks