YMCA Employee Reviews

Pay is not equal/poor benefits
Housing Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 January 2017
Consistent turn over rate. Very low hourly wage for overnight.

This is not a very challenging position if you are just getting started in the field.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Day staff payed more then night staff/wage is non negotiable
Great
Youth Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 January 2017
The kids are the future! Always put a smile on your face, make you know your job is always worth it as long as you got them. The hardest part is when you have to leave, and your leaving the children of tomorrow
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Good place to learn to keep a job and how to get one
Student (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 January 2017
I think they did a great job teaching my class how to get and keep a job, they got us our whmis 2015 new resumes how to right a cover letter and helped with interview skills
Pros
Get paid to learn
Cons
Some days are boring
great learning ground, fast paced, high expectations, friendly and welcoming,
Membership Sales and Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
While I have worked for this company for more than a decade, I have felt the negative far outweigh the positive. If you wish to work for the YMCA, it is a great stepping ground for college aged workers, but don't expect to get your breaks, or get paid for any over-time. while the company works to avoid anyone working overtime, if it happens, rules are bent.

Charities have more lenient working standards, meaning the minimum shift is 2 hours, and a break is not a right until after 5 hours. while the staff are nice, everyone is stressed out due to understaffing due to budget constraints.
Pros
free membership for staff
Cons
lack of breaks, understaffed
Everything is excellent for a customer service position
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2017
Duties include delivering excellent customer service and creating membership contracts for new members.

Very fun and friendly environment. Great managers and a lot of opportunities for raises and/or promotions.
Pros
Almost everything one would want in their job or career
Cons
Some customers can be rude
cliquey
Summer Youth Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I found this to be a very clique group. Essentially the people in charge of hiring hired friends and delegated the most desirable roles out to their friends.
On a positive note it was rewarding knowing that you made summer camp a fun memorable experience.
Workplace that cares a lot about their clients
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Port Elgin, ON11 December 2016
Amazing Place to work. Good management, I really enjoy my work there. I gained a lot of experience working with children from the ages of 2-12, it really helped my education.
Great environment to work in !
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2016
The aquatics department at the YMCA at Bayview and Sheppard is a great location to work with numerous classes and great opportunities to make money overall.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Aquatic Staff always called in sick and management would call for coverage everyday
Very welcoming workplace
Youth Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
I worked with the children and all the other instructors were incredible. I got to work on the "teacher's voice" as well as build
up much needed patience. They are also very understanding of
a student's sometimes hectic schedule.
Pros
Cons
N/A
I loved working there !!
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON8 December 2016
Till new management got hired and my hours got cut to one shift a week.

No one does anything to help you out... even emailed head office
Wonderful workplace for people who love children
Assistant Counselor (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON5 December 2016
YMCA Wanakita is one of the biggest YMCA Camps of Canada that holds about 500 people every 2 weeks during the summer. The people that work there are very friendly, a lot of fun, outgoing and are easy to talk to about anything.
Pros
A lot of fun, great people
Cons
Full time contract for a season only
A days adventures
Assistant Beaver Leader for the 74th Beaver troop (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 December 2016
this was not a paid position but was a very fun and exciting experience each day brought a new aspect!! everything there was amazing and i enjoyed working there!
Pros
each day was something new!
Cons
wish i could pack a better lunch
Day at the YMCA
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
The Ymca is a family friendly fitness facility. A typical day would be standing behind the desk and greeting the members while also giving information on the facility. Sold memberships and various other programs the gym offered. Also gave people new to the environment an orientation on how to properly work out and use various machines. The people at this job were phenomenal; both members and staff. I learned a lot about myself and how to interact with others because this was my first job. The hardest part of the job was having to call a member that owed the gym money, it made me very uncomfortable. However, the overall job was fantastic.
Pros
Very healthy job, very lively.
Cons
Salary wasn't the greatest.
Fun, hands on workplace
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 November 2016
-Fun, hands on workplace
-Opportunities to learn new skill sets through PDs and Huddles
-Most enjoyable part of the job is working with the children
Pros
Learn new skill sets, have fun with kids
Cons
Split shifts, lack of communication, disorganized management
N/a
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON29 November 2016
great job if you like helping people
lots of room for growth
lots of perks
people there are super friendly
great job if you like cleaning
very relaxed atmosphere
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Ymca
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON23 November 2016
The YMCA is a great place to work, however working the split shift is not ideal while having to commute. I have been working with the YMCA for two years now (in my third year) and have not yet seen the benefits that the YMCA offers (medical, gym memberships ect)
Diverse and challenging work
Technician Class II (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 November 2016
Each day held new challenges, I enjoyed working with people from many different backgrounds and cultures. At times I had to learn and test my people skills with difficult tenants that had mental issues and families that were new immigrants to ease their transition.

It was very rewarding to see my work make these people happy and relieved in their homes when problems were fixed. These include issues with heat and air conditioning, floods to more basic problems with lighting and acquiring new paint and furniture.

Office personal made me feel very appreciated when I fixed several of their ongoing issues one for example had left persistent leaks in bathrooms for years.

The patrons in the pool gave me reason to be proud when they commented on how clean and crystal clear the water was without a pervasive smell of chlorine.

Working independently without supervision and the full trust of my immediate superior gave me even more motivation to get the job done right and efficiently.

I allowed the smooth transition from work order issues to satisfied customer using innovated fixes that kept us under budget without using expensive materials and outside contractors.
Pros
New and unexpected challenges each day, helping people
Cons
significant layoffs and budget cuts, tripled our workload
Great Job
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 November 2016
Excellent Job with great hours. Would walk in and get the job done. Excellent staff to work with and management is understanding. Everyone works together to achieve a goal
Family values and high standards
Swim Instructor -co-teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2016
YMCA offers quality programs and hires safe, knowledgeable and capable employees.
I learned alot from co-teaching with experienced instructors, enabling me to gain experiences.
Pros
use of facility
Cons
early hours
Instructor (Part-time)/ Membership Desk. (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON15 November 2016
The staff and members are woderful! I love teaching the Yoga classes, and making my students feel great. I always get wonderful feedback from my clients and staff.
Pros
Feeling at home and at ease with my job.
Cons
Not enough hrs.