YMCA of Oakville Employee Reviews

after school program at Sheridan Public School in Oakville
Early Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 March 2017
Very friendly stuff and very good management.I love to work with the kids. The YMCA have a lot of things to help with the education of the kids. The manager is very understanding and helpful.They care about their workers.
Poor Leadership and toxic atmosphere
Child Care Worker and Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 January 2017
The job security in this place is great, benefits are great, and the pay is good.

Team leadership is terrible. All three age group coordinators are very tight with each other and exclude others. The pre-school coordinator has poor attitude and often if she is having a bad day she has no problem expressing it to other employees, she is discouraging and difficult to work with.

A plus for them is that they do care about the children however, as staff, they choose who to like and who not to like, the atmosphere is super toxic to work in and quite frankly, their leadership could use a refresher on positive leading. Lots if gossip in this work place about other employees and the parents!
Fun place to work
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 December 2016
Everyone is welcoming and friendly. Constantly working with children. So if you dont like working with kids dont apply. Have to be good at problem solving. You have to watch, play and talk to every child.
Pros
Flexable with shifts
Fun and unique workplace
Waterfront Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON24 November 2016
Working at the YMCA of Oakville was great. The hours were regular. The work environment was great. It was enriching to work with children and fellow counsellors.
Great benefits, no job security
Child Care On-Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 June 2016
Management don't work full days, come and go as they please and expect the teachers to stay late without compensation. No job security due to having most staff on contract that keep getting renewed after promises of permanent positions after 6 months. Management is very inconsistent and if they are having a bad day then their entire team is as well.
Pros
free lunch, great benefits even for contract staff
Cons
management, no job security, long days
Warm work environment with room for growth especially if you love kids!
Supply & Program Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON28 March 2016
The kids and staff at the YMCA inspired me to continue my studies in education to become a teacher in Ontario. The play-to-learn environment provided opportunities for staff to build positive relationships and rapport with the kids and parents.
Outdoor/Indoor setting with a pool and phenomenal co workers
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 February 2016
Working together with a team to over see the well being of kids registered for day camp. Planning activities to see to it that campers have a great safe summer filled with a lot of physical activity and peer relation building. I learnt team work multi-tasking and etc. The staff is amazing and we all get along well.
YMCA is a reputable place to work
RECE (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON23 December 2015
Over all, YMCA of Oakville is a good place to work. They take good care of the employees and salary package is also pretty decent.
Child Care
Program Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 September 2015
Really great work environment.
Healthy food for children
Play to learn philosophy
Great management, hands on management who were always in the classrooms
clean fun and exciting work place.
Life guard (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON15 July 2015
I would instruct a class for 45 minutes, and take a 15 minute break, for 4-6 hours.
I learn to lead, teach, and communicate.
The Y is very organized, always something to do, but never too much for one person, we worked as a team.
Co-workers are harder workers who take responsibility and pride of what they do.
Hardest part of the job was trying to teach a toddler who is scared of water to put his/her face into the water.
Every bit of this job is enjoyable.
Pros
free food, friends, skills, and exercise.
Cons
makes one really tired after a day at work
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 June 2014
great place to work for
getting to know the childrens needs is important.
benefits
Challenging and rewarding
Child Care Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON17 August 2013
Was responsible for 15 to 200 children. Oversaw 4-50 staff depending on the month. Responsible for planning daily activities, shopping, budgeting, planning group trips and organizing events.
The hardest part of the job was working a split shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that i was guiding cildren and teaching children.
My co workers were amazing people who loved the job just as much as i did.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
split shifts
Fast pace, high demanding and fun work environment
SUPERVISOR/ TEAMLEADER SACC (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 September 2012
Working for the YMCA was truly an experience. I have worked for both Oakville and Burlington YMCA. Learning about children development and how to communicate and structure a specific program for their needs has been overall fulfilling.

I have worked specifically one on one with special needs children. I had a child with Autism and was their care giver aside from the YMCA. I knew the childs specific needs and where generally the child was on the spectrum. Not only did I learn through my personal experience, but also Halton provided work-shops related to the topics a childcare worker can use to better themselves.

I will take my experience along with me in this journey of life.
Pros
benefits and team bonding
Cons
split shift

4.2