YM inc Employee Reviews

Awful work culture. no support and too much work
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  North York, ON29 November 2017
You will be forced to work overtime that you are never paid for. Minimal training. Assistants are expected to do everything and are treated like trash by the higher ups. We were basically made to feel like props. The office is a mess and a health and safety risk at every turn. Avoid at all costs to be honest.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
incredibly stressful job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2017
Stressful job with little to no support from head office. No recognition for what you do. Head office expects a lot from you from each department (sales. LP. HR etc.), but is not willing to work with you.
Pros
staff is good
Cons
doesn't pay properly for salary managers, they want the store to be youre whole entire life.
Une belle expérience mais pas de possibilité d'avancement
Assistante Gérante (Former Employee) –  Drummondville, QC18 October 2017
J'ai aimé mon expérience chez YM inc. Mais je ne le referai pas.
Pros
Ambiance
Cons
Salaire, Horaire, Gestion de l'entreprise laisse à désirer.
Fun working environment
Assistante gerante (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QC18 October 2017
Working in the company, I've come accross many inspiring people. I'm someone who loves to work and can't live without work. I desire to be given responsabilities and I also love taking initiatives to make teamwork process faster and I have always been well surrounded with the right types of people who enjoyed working together as a team to build up a strong future for our company and for ourselves.
Enjoyable Workplace
IT Operations Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2017
Very enjoyable place to work.
Nice and interesting people that makes the workplace enjoyable.
Great place to learn how the retail industry is outside the stores.
Pros
Free lunch during holidays and cake day every end of month to celebrate birthdays
Good staff, great company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2017
Job entailed administration, report management within buying and allocations departments. Staff were approachable, good mentors and environment was welcoming. Would reccomend
If you know someone you will get paid more
Confidential (Former Employee) –  South18 August 2017
You need to be a suck up and a YES person to get far in this company. There are different rules for different people. Head office policy is followed by those who are not in the click.
Long hours, Non-meaningful work, poor quality products
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2017
Company is only looking to make $ the cheapest way possible. Quality of materials used is poor. Employees work long hours with no over time. They only seem to 'care' about the well-being of their employees at face value but ultimately they underpay you and you are fairly disposable. Hardworking employees are rarely acknowledged /thanked for their efforts.
Good starting job, made me appreciate every other job.
Helpdesk Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2017
YM Inc. Had no perks other than the employees and catered lunches every Friday in December. There was no emphasis on keeping employees happy at all. Years ago, this would have been fine, but the company needs to step up its game in terms of employee-engagement. Staff would be much happier.
Pros
Good people, front patio is nice, cake day is good
Cons
Gloomy office, no natural light, does not trust its employees
Company needs restructuring
Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 June 2017
This company has way too many stores brands and needs to slim it down. Focus on a few key brands and develop them. Create a positive atmosphere for your employees.. clearly by the looks of the reviews -you aren't doing so well
Pros
Um
Cons
Too many brands (NINE?!) all clothing retail, all the same
Disorganized Mess of Stores
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Ontario17 June 2017
I need to write a minimum of 150 characters about YM and so here we go. Keywords: disorganized, unethical, poor quality materials, cheap atmosphere, bad.
Pros
Not a single thing I can think of.
Cons
Low wages, bad upper management, no sense of organization, decades-old technology, cheap clothing, low quality atmosphere.
Fast paced fun place to work.
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 March 2017
I enjoyed my time with YM Inc. It was a very fast paced working environment with young fun staff. I enjoyed helping the customers with their fashion needs.
sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2017
one of the places that i have worked at. I learned how to be a good sales associate and i learned how to give good customer service. my communication skills are better because of YM.
same company as urban planet
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON10 February 2017
YM INC. is the company that involves a bunch of stores, one is Urban planet which I worked for and I have just previously submitted a review about this job. YM INC and urban planet is the same thing. I worked for Stitches before Urban Planet which is under the same company, and once Stitches closed down some of the staff was transferred to Urban Planet, but my role and key responsibilities were the same as Urban Planet.
A good company to learn lots of valuble skill sets but very hard work
Buyer, Ladieswear for Stitches division (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Highly recommended for new grads to start their first retail job at YM Inc. YM is like a training school and you will be able to learn a lot of valuable skill sets there, such as import production.
Was my first full time job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2016
I enjoyed the people I worked with
Typical day at work was a little stressful.
We did a lot of overtime for this company and learnt about management with this company.
I also learnt that I am a quick learner and I love doing paperwork
Pros
Employees
Cons
Didn't get paid enough
Unprofessional company that ignores employees rights
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada3 September 2016
This company is actually horrible. The employees are disposable and the way they leverage the bonuses for the district managers etc negates any of the needs of the employees on the ground floor. There are no reviews for employees even though they are promised. The DMs/GMs are a unprofessional and continually make work dramatic. I would NEVER work for this company again. They are ignoring employee labour laws, and pay their workers very little. There have been multiple complaints in our mall about how they run multiple locations. They do not care about who works for them, retaining the talent or encouraging growth. This is a dead end job unless they happen to actually promote someone into an upper management position in the corporate office. Our staff was amazing, and all have left and are working for other places that value their input and work. They have lost so much talent to other retailers (thank you for that) just sad to see such a giant company treating the people that make them their money the worst. If you want a future in retail or sales go start anywhere else. Get trained properly and don't invest your time in a place that treats you like you are disposable.
Cons
not paid for overtime, no breaks, no reviews, no room for advancement.
Terrible company to work for
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 August 2016
This company is the absolute worst, I've been an employee for 3 years, all my work and efforts go unnoticed. This management is terrible, they refuse to raise the pay for the senior staff; the hours are disgustingly low, you can't maintain the cost of living with that or even make enough in four months to pay for college textbooks. Overall terrible place to work, last place i would suggest.
Good management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2016
Co workers are excellent. Bonuses are good if you are working at a busy store. Most management seemed to care for its employees. If you like retail, advancement within the company is offered.
horrible company no room for growth
Head Cashier/ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Fairview, ON16 August 2016
management didn't know what they were doing, people got fired for their mistakes, you end up doing a managers job without the pay. they have made changes to my schedule and did not inform me
Pros
nothing
Cons
worst clients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YM inc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8