Yelp Employee Reviews

N/a
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 February 2017
Fun place to work. Keeps you on your toes. Learned a lot about sales and good communication. Management is good when you are matched with the right person. The Culture here is relax but fast. Hardest part for me was being on the same page with my manager. She wasn't the right match for me and I tried to change manager but she never signed off on my change. Over all it wouldn't have been so hard if my manager was there to help me. Everyday was something new, the job was a joy of it's own.
Free food only plus, good for your resume
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA29 January 2017
It's a cool place for getting some experience but not somewhere I would start a career. They will hire anyone to fill a spot. No professionalism at all. From managers to customer service reps. Reasons why customers disliked the service. I wouldn't recommend working here overall.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Horrible hygiene from coworkers, no professionalism in the work place, basically a big party everyday
Supportive and fun climate in a demanding role.
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 December 2016
This is definitely a work hard play hard position so if you don't have that kind of work ethic, this isn't for you. But with the extensive training, fun atmosphere and supportive work environment, it's hard to now work hard.
Pros
Fully stocked kitchen, stress relief resources like ping pong tables, lounges, couches, TV. Upward mobility for those who work for it. Close knit
Cons
It's basically cold calling, phone sales is tough
Interesting atmosphere and culture but poor management
Infrastructure Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA1 December 2016
Too much time is spent attending to incidents or working around incidents from other teams. Many managers are new/first-time managers and lack the necessary skills to be effective at their jobs while others are handi-capped by the company's culture of super hands off management. Morale is generally poor-whatevs.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays, free healthy snacks and drinks
Cons
poor management, poor planning, highly inefficient work environment
Great People, Not So Great Job
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NY21 November 2016
Yelp is a great company. Employees are treated well with a fully stocked kitchen for breakfast and lunch, great health benefits, and great people. The pay is definitely on the lower side. The most negative aspect was the job itself. The day to day is strictly cold calling businesses to sell the advertising program. It can be very monotonous. Also many of the business owners are busy and do not want to speak to you. It's a hard job to find enjoyment in.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch. Great Culture and people
Cons
cold calling
Sales MBA
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA10 November 2016
I spent almost 2 years at Yelp. It's a rollercoaster. Full of great colleagues, awesome mentors, and a challenging job (but once you get the hang of it you'll pitch-on-the-fly and feel like a boss).

You are responsible for the full sales cycle. From introduction to close. You will have difficult conversations about selling them Yelp ads with SMB prospects. It's challenging, but what you will also have a team, an organization, readily available for you to learn and execute with.

I owe everything I know about my profession to this opportunity I got here.

Thanks Yelp! :)
Great people, tough job
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL7 November 2016
70+ outbound cold calls daily to SMB's in a assigned territory. Setting 15-20 minute appointments with clients to discuss and pitch the Yelp platform. These BO's already have Yelp pages that most likely have traffic to that listing. Pitch and close the prospects. Get to quota, make some decent cash.

However, you must follow the process and be a quick learner. It's easy to fall into habits and not grind it out. Stand up. Take each call with a clean slate, but don't be afraid to mess up and quickly try out a new method again.

Yelp can be a great place for a couple years, but it's a daily grind and not for the weak minded.
Pros
Free drinks, snacks, good benefits
Cons
Pay, job itself, not a ton of room for growth. Stuck inside sales.
Upbeat fun workplace with lots of room for growth
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ20 October 2016
One of my favorite parts about my work day is that each day is unpredictable. I never know who I am going to talk to and as a result, I get to learn about so many unique and interesting businesses, people and meet a lot of entrepreneurs that educate me, too.

The best perk is definitely the people and culture… and I suppose our brand new office with shuffleboard, ping pong and Rock Band. But truly, I get to work side by side with amazing, talented people every day.
Great for upward mobility, awful for work/life balance
Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London17 January 2017
I had a great experience working for Yelp, but it really ate into my personal life. Yelp provides the type of environment where you can grow and develop quickly, and management are quick to recognize talent and drive. If you are looking to grow your career and you're willing to put in the work, management will put in the time to mold you. A good attitude can carry you very far at Yelp. The only downside is how much of an emphasis is placed on being "Yelpy" and being a good culture fit. This is an area where I think Yelp needs to grow up, recognize their work force is getting older and encourage a better work/life balance for employees. If they don't do so, they'll continue to lose employees once they get to the stage of having families and being over the whole "fun tech company" thing.
Pros
Career growth, opportunity, supportive management, values
Cons
Work/life balance
Great Workplace, Ok Job
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA5 October 2016
No one likes cold-calling, but that's what you're going to be doing every day. Yes, you get the freedom to churn the whole sales process from open calling to closing, but managing that while handling objections is a tough sell. Co-workers are friendly, and management could be held to another standard. Hard to differentiate managers as friend or micromanaging sticklers, because people move up quick in this job. It can be very emotionally draining and dry, so mentality is everything in this job.
Pros
Free snacks and basic meal ingredients
Cons
Pay is way below other places
Don't even think about working here
Rejected (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA14 September 2016
I applied to intern at Yelp and they ruined my summer. They kept me waiting for two whopping months and now it really made me mad. They have no respect towards low income students who are trying to support a family. The people who are in charge of HR need to be clear and not act childish when picking who should get an intern position. Good thing is that their office is laid back and happy.
Pros
Special assignments, company outings
Cons
Bad HR, too much favoritism, commit on benefits are low
High highs and low lows
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL21 November 2016
Each day consists of a high volume of cold calls and emails sent out to SMB owners. Management varied, with some managers just one year out of the account executive role. Issues with that were panic when things weren't going well.
Pros
Free lunch, post-work beers
Cons
Very high pressure
Great place to work with a startup vibe.
Elite Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA3 November 2016
Great company to work for with a startup culture. Interacted with my peer on a daily basis to create a strategy to bring in sales for the online food ordering application.
Pros
Benefits, Free Snacks and Pool table
Cons
Compensation
Sales in a very competitive work environment
Account Executive/Sales (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA23 August 2016
Yelp is a great company and I am lucky to have experience working at Yelp.

The account executive role in sales is very competitive. You make a high number of sales calls per day, trying to sell advertising packages to small, local businesses. You must be able to consult and engage with, educate, and successfully sell Yelp advertising to business owners, who may be unwilling to speak to you on the phone or reply any emails or voicemails.
You must know how to quickly think on your feet, and recommend products quickly to suit client needs by handling the different objections that they will throw at you.
Good for working towards goals, talking to people all day long, and if you have a passion for small local businesses.
Pros
Fully stocked kitchen, no extra work hours
Cons
Cold calls all day, competitive within teams
Fun and fast paced
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL11 December 2016
Great and fun place to work but the opportunities for advancement are poor at the Chicago location.

Co-Workers are great and the management team is very fun.
Pros
breaks, ping pong, outings
Cons
No opportunities for advancement
Great company but exhausting
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ29 August 2016
Typical day is about 9-10 hours with an hour lunch break. If you want to be successful you have to put some extra time into the job. Managers are great and the sales curriculum is top notch. Honestly love the company, but cold calling 65+ times a day can become taxing.
Pros
Culture, training, food
Cons
Territories, cold calling
Good Work Culture
Online Business Analyst(Spanish) (Current Employee) –  Pune, Maharashtra12 December 2016
Good Work culture apart from that no any good things to write, no grown\t, no transportation, no job security and no salary increment
Pros
allowed music and Phones while working
Cons
no transportation
productive and fun workplace
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NY20 December 2016
great workplace and great people. however there is not that much room to grow. a lot of the roles offered are just sales and growth within sales. however, the fully stocked kitchen was amazing!
Fun, exciting place with a purpose.
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM22 August 2016
I absolutely love to make people happy, and yelp seems to do that. People get excited when the see the yelp tent, and know we have a bunch of freebies to pass out. Businesses really appreciate us for the exposure they receive from having a yelp profile.
Pros
freebies, fun environment, exciting events, free food
Cons
long days
Great culture - terrible job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL21 August 2016
The culture at Yelp is great. Lots of perks in the office and usually everyone is cool. But managers tend to breathe down your neck and instead of working with you to get better they just tell you that you better work harder.

There is no acknowledging that bad days happen - instead it's 100% you for not working hard enough.