Yelp Employee Reviews

Great people, tough job
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL7 November 2016
70+ outbound cold calls daily to SMB's in a assigned territory. Setting 15-20 minute appointments with clients to discuss and pitch the Yelp platform. These BO's already have Yelp pages that most likely have traffic to that listing. Pitch and close the prospects. Get to quota, make some decent cash.

However, you must follow the process and be a quick learner. It's easy to fall into habits and not grind it out. Stand up. Take each call with a clean slate, but don't be afraid to mess up and quickly try out a new method again.

Yelp can be a great place for a couple years, but it's a daily grind and not for the weak minded.
Pros
Free drinks, snacks, good benefits
Cons
Pay, job itself, not a ton of room for growth. Stuck inside sales.
Great for upward mobility, awful for work/life balance
Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  London17 January 2017
I had a great experience working for Yelp, but it really ate into my personal life. Yelp provides the type of environment where you can grow and develop quickly, and management are quick to recognize talent and drive. If you are looking to grow your career and you're willing to put in the work, management will put in the time to mold you. A good attitude can carry you very far at Yelp. The only downside is how much of an emphasis is placed on being "Yelpy" and being a good culture fit. This is an area where I think Yelp needs to grow up, recognize their work force is getting older and encourage a better work/life balance for employees. If they don't do so, they'll continue to lose employees once they get to the stage of having families and being over the whole "fun tech company" thing.
Pros
Career growth, opportunity, supportive management, values
Cons
Work/life balance
Great first sales job
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA5 March 2017
Yelp is a great place to learn how to do sales well. A typical day consists of vetting 10-15 new leads, making 65+ calls, setting appointments, and pitching at least one business a day. If you want a job where you can work smarter and not harder, look elsewhere. It's incredibly hard to game the system at Yelp. No matter how good you are at the job, you still have to put in a large amount of work to hit your numbers. The pay is decent, but the benefits are great.
Pros
Great Healthcare
Cons
Incredibly monotonous
Great People, Not So Great Job
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NY21 November 2016
Yelp is a great company. Employees are treated well with a fully stocked kitchen for breakfast and lunch, great health benefits, and great people. The pay is definitely on the lower side. The most negative aspect was the job itself. The day to day is strictly cold calling businesses to sell the advertising program. It can be very monotonous. Also many of the business owners are busy and do not want to speak to you. It's a hard job to find enjoyment in.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch. Great Culture and people
Cons
cold calling
No structure amongst employees/management, poor pay
Customer Service Representative Eat24 (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA18 September 2016
This company is laid back and very little stress as far as the Eat24 department goes. I mean super laid back...people were drinking on they're shift, smoking pot on lunch and a fist fight erupted one day. The floor managers show favoritism to the people in they're clique. If your looking for a career this is not the place to advance. If your fresh out of high school and just looking to pay your phone bill and money to blow on random stuff this place is your ideal job. The pay is minimum wage. In my personal experience it was not a company that I could advance in because there were no core values set by the employer and no advancement opportunities to further my career within the company. It does though have fully stocked kitches with every drink and snack you can imagine and the 7th floor has baristas that serve several different beverages for free along with fully stocked kitchen to make your own sandwiches. Very beautiful building in the financial/shopping district.
Pros
Free lunch, video games, low stress
Cons
Poor salary, poor management, no career growth
Good Work Culture
Online Business Analyst(Spanish) (Current Employee) –  Pune, Maharashtra12 December 2016
Good Work culture apart from that no any good things to write, no grown\t, no transportation, no job security and no salary increment
Pros
allowed music and Phones while working
Cons
no transportation
Great company and good culture
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ19 March 2017
company really values employee happiness and has great benefits. Work like balance is greatly valued. They also have a great training program to prepare you for your role successfully.
Pros
free fully stocked kitchens
Cons
SItting at a desk for 8 hours/day
Paid to review
marketing scout (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 February 2017
Great job, paid to visit glasgow businesses and review them. This often raised a few eyebrows in glasgow but a fantastic way to eat out for free. Self employed.
Great company
Associate Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 March 2017
Great company and awesome benefits. If you're good at the sales position there is a lot of opportunity to grow at Yelp and beyond. al;kfja;sddasdfasfdasdfasd
Don't even think about working here
Rejected (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA14 September 2016
I applied to intern at Yelp and they ruined my summer. They kept me waiting for two whopping months and now it really made me mad. They have no respect towards low income students who are trying to support a family. The people who are in charge of HR need to be clear and not act childish when picking who should get an intern position. Good thing is that their office is laid back and happy.
Pros
Special assignments, company outings
Cons
Bad HR, too much favoritism, commit on benefits are low
Great place to work with a startup vibe.
Elite Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA3 November 2016
Great company to work for with a startup culture. Interacted with my peer on a daily basis to create a strategy to bring in sales for the online food ordering application.
Pros
Benefits, Free Snacks and Pool table
Cons
Compensation
Fun people but not a ton of room for growth
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL28 November 2016
Great company that sells a great product, but there's not many interesting positions to move up from entry-level. Extensive sales training, and excellent benefits.
awesome
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL6 January 2017
Great company with amazing benefits. Perfect for someone fresh out of college. I would for sure recommend this position to a friend or family member.
Great place to work. Best years of my life.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA5 June 2016
Simply put, I love working at Yelp. The training is unparalleled, and the people are amazing. There are several upper level sales opportunities that have clear paths to get to. Unlike many other sales positions, it is unclear how to get promoted, however it seems as though all managers' goals are to get their reps promoted.

The recipe to success at this company is simple: work hard, be the obvious choice, and be a team player.

The hardest part of this job is the work itself, however Yelp is quite clear about what our average level of work is. Cold-calling is never easy, especially when dealing with small business owners, however there are several tools at our fingertips to improve our sales acumen. As long as your goal (as a sales rep) is to genuinely help a small business, there is no reason why you wouldn't succeed.

All in all, would highly recommend. This is one of the few companies that allows college grads to develop a lifelong career with some hard work and dedication to the role.
Pros
Free lunches, great people, good beer, gym stipend, awesome health benefits
Cons
Cold calling, but it's what you signed up for!
Ghost shell of a company pretending to be a startup
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA17 September 2016
I remembered being excited for the chance to find a job at "Yelp" in the heart of downtown San Francisco. Boy did I delude myself, Firstly this company (Yelp EAT24) feels so separate from Yelp its insane. I receive questions about Yelp that I have no idea how to answer since its a separate entity. Secondly I work in a glorified call center, it might have a fancy title and "cool benefits" like beer on tap, and free snacks, but all I do daily is apologize to people and tell them their food is on the way. Plus I work nights so they "perks" don't apply to me as I never have the chance to get beer. It so sad that someone with a college degree and three majors cannot find a better job and that HR cannot find a better fit for me. Lastly, and the most disheartening part is I was told it would be about a year to transfer to Yelp proper. Are you serious??? I have to take a year of working from 3 PM to 11:30 PM while simultaneously giving up my nights and weekends for a little over minimum wage. I applaud anyone that has lasted in this position because I feel myself dying a little more inside every time I clock in to start working.
Pros
Medical, Dental and Vision benefits are covered.
Cons
Ridiculous late hours, Calling a different department is akin to reaching out to a different planet, Room for growth is almost non existent.
Interesting Day-to-Day
Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA15 August 2016
Very fun culture, they hire well! Would not suggest taking a sales position at Yelp if you have extensive sales experience. You will be paid the same as someone with limited sales experience.
Pros
Free lunches/snacks and great benefits!
Cons
Short breaks and pay
Overall a great experience!
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ7 July 2016
The job itself isn't the greatest (phone sales). However, the culture of the company and those you work with are great! Really great place for people in their twenties but not a long term career path for many. Free food all day was nice. They pay for your gym membership and great health care benefits.
Decent
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA22 August 2016
Yelp is a great company to work for during your first year out of college, but beyond that I wouldn't recommend investing in a company that doesn't necessarily invest enough in their own employees.
Pros
Stocked Kitchen, Benefits
Cons
Low Salary, Monotonous, Cold-Calling
It's a pretty OK place to work
User Operations Associate - Content Moderation (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA9 November 2016
Yelp is pretty cool.I would recommend it to someone if there was a job opening they were into.

Great free snacks. Not so great compared to other companies in the area, but definitely above average.

Beer! I've never liked hanging out at an office after hours before. I do that somewhat regularly here.

Flexible Hours with the option to work from home when necessary.

Sweet health benefits and they're pretty generous with stock even for us lowly user ops workers.

Average good-ish time off/sick time

Overall company good about providing important updates

Unfortunately none of this is enough to make up for the crushing boredom that eventually sets in with moderating content. They tell you straight up when you start not to really expect this to go anywhere. It's kinda sad since we have a lot of talented, intelligent people on the team wasting their smarts. I can feel myself getting dumber from all the terrible punctuation and block paragraphs that I have to read all day long. Go on though, do it a year or two and then move along. It's a great job as one of your first out of college. You don't have to wear real clothes or show up at a specific time and that's all real real nice.

"Fun" environment for the most part. Though in our particular department there is a lot of forced fun that really gets irritating for a cynic like me. It's kinda silly since they actually advertise the position as being for introverts. It's a little tone deaf. Like the time they had us spin some Harry Potter sorting hat for assigned seats at lunch. Yep... actual adults arranged that forced
  more... mingling situation with a group full of introverts. They also recently instituted music on Friday afternoons and it is the worst.

There are a lot of management things that make the job really stressful. But I think I mostly just get petty and mad because I am so so bored.

You'll have fun for a while doing this job probably. But it really does show you a bad side of humanity. There are some awful opinions that I was not used to coming across. That can be tough. But it's nothing awful like if you were moderating beheadings content for that popular video upload website.
Pros
Food, Healthcare, Flexible Schedule, Remote Work
Cons
Poor communication, bad department specific culture
N/a
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 February 2017
Fun place to work. Keeps you on your toes. Learned a lot about sales and good communication. Management is good when you are matched with the right person. The Culture here is relax but fast. Hardest part for me was being on the same page with my manager. She wasn't the right match for me and I tried to change manager but she never signed off on my change. Over all it wouldn't have been so hard if my manager was there to help me. Everyday was something new, the job was a joy of it's own.