Yellow Pages Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Workflow Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBDecember 28, 2015
I have worked at this company for 18 years and loved every minute of it. It's like having a second family and I looked forward to going to work every morning. I have learned various positions over the years and the hours were great. My co-workers were awesome to work with.
Good money, bad culture
Media Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  BurnabySeptember 15, 2015
Anyone can easily make $80k a year or more here, even the laziest person can but people still leave in droves because the culture and management are just too stressful.
Pros
work from home, good pay
Cons
it's never good enough. if you hit 100% of target you get asked why you didn't get 110%
Great Company to work for as they are on the leading edge of digital techology
Senior Sales Manager,Diamond Channel (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2015
A great place to learn valuable skills as you advance . It has become a more collaborative culture as it transforms from print to digital
A fun workplace where company values are demonstrated and applied everyday
Payroll Specialist / HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 18, 2012
Working for the Yellow Pages Group has allowed me to grow professionally and expand my knowledge in the Human Resources field.
My work specifically comprised of handling everything from payroll, compensation, benefits and all things related to HR for our US offices in Indiana and Pennsylvania. Yellow Pages even paid for my courses to better prepare me for my job in regards to all the US rules and regulations with HR and Payroll.
Our management team was also excellent because they had 6 months and yearly evaluations with their teams. This allowed individuals to express their work and any issues they were having or areas which needed improvement.
I truly enjoyed the one on one time I had with my management team because it allowed me to show my comprehension and offer my opinion which later secure me a promotion within 4 months of my hire.
I have enjoyed my time at the Yellow Pages Group, and I know that the skills and knowledge which I have acquired there will only lead me to success for my next opportunity.
Excellent place to work.
Media Account Consultant \ Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 21, 2012
A typical day includes bending over backwards to provide superior customer service.
This is a business in transition. Be prepared for a challenge, but a gratifying challenge.
Co-workers are like any business, some good, some not so good.
The hardest part of the job is working with people who don't believe the company will succeed. The company has provided the products and procedures it needs to to be successful, what's holding them back is dead weight employees who keep taking advantage of the compensation plan that is in place - aka stress leave.

I enjoy making the right recommendations for a businesses individual needs to help them meet their objectives.
Pros
excellent compensation
Cons
lots of dead weight - put your blinders on and stay focussed.
Listing Service Representative.
Bilingual Listings Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 14, 2015
"open-space office" is a 5'x5' cubicle.You repeat the same task ALL DAY, every day. Customer service is talking to entitled and taking abuse from rude sale rep from the company. Empty management "advancement" promises. Anybody in their right mind wouldn't lose their time with this.
Pros
none.
Cons
repetitive. toxic team work environment.
YP had seen better times
Media Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  BurnabyFebruary 9, 2013
Very long hours, pay was ok. My channel was dissolved, was not happy with the new role of handling all the cancellations in new role.
Mgmt was so-so. However their training was second to none.
YP's CRM system was a joke, hopefully it was upgraded because it was a nightmare to navigate and the biggest time waster.
Pros
ongoing training, home offices, benefits, autonomy
Cons
long hours, crm, mgmt
Meet Great People and Clients
Media Account Consultant - Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 10, 2015
Wonderful Company, meet great clients. Work from Home. Head office in Scarborough. I enjoy working at Yellow Pages. Its a great company, with great products, solutions and people
fun work environment, great atmosphere, productive
Media Account Consultant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 11, 2015
Great company culture with amazing earning potential. Company offers amazing sales incentives. Fosters good relationships between coworkers with various team building activities outside of the office.
Very Difficult Environment on East Coast
MEDIA ACCOUNT CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 7, 2015
The YP division in Atlantic Canada is the only one not Unionized, and I never thougth I'd be a Pro Union person especially in sales, but there is a need for the "checks and balances" they would provide where this company is concerned with respect to the way they treat their people. They manage by fear and be prepared to work 70+ hours a week. The management team is made up of hand picked individuals that will obey the rules from the director, their loyalty is to the director (and covering their rear ends), not their teams for the most part. Money can be decent, but the company has enormous fufillment issues that the reps have to deal with the mistakes and omissions with the customers, and the reps have nothing to do with the foul ups. Stay clear of this dying dinosaur, her best days are way behind her, just ask about their turnover rates, very high.
Customer Focused - fast paced and challenging environment
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC V3W3E3August 20, 2014
daily claim resolution as well as escalations from call center representative on difficult calls
provide coaching and training to all agents on the floor
reporting daily to the managers on areas of improvement on processes
enjoyed working in a fast paced and challenging environment
benefits
Not the Ideal employer
Media Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlantic CanadaJune 23, 2015
I applied as the job ad appeared very attractive but shortly after being hired I realized that all that was offered would never be delivered.
They are very pushy and require you to sell high priced products that many small business owner/operators do not need.
The products are very overpriced and the technical service is dismal at best. Customer service is nil
Manager are all push push and little back end support.
We had one manager who didn't even know the operating system.
The final kicker was that they call meeting with little or no notice and you have to drop everything and attend. Even if it means ignoring an appointment you have with a customer
Would not recommend this to anyone
Pros
Nil
Cons
Long hour, no support
Excellent team environment
Media Account Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, ONOctober 2, 2015
YP fosters your ability to generate ideas and ways of making your job better for the employee and clients. Great place to grow and develop your skill set.
Great company to work for
DEDICATED ACCOUNT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 6, 2013
Very good employment opportunities and benefits, flex schedules at some departments, spacious office, gym, free fitness classes everyday.
Pros
online learning portal with lots of courses, shuttle from skytrain.
Cons
non compete clause
Very challenging, rewarding, and overall a wonderful learning experience
Media Account Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2013
If I were not a single mother, I would have loved this job for the rest of my career. Unfortunately the assignment and hours needed to invest were more than I could juggle.

As it was outside sales, I was responsible to work from home, which was ideal, as 2 days a week were allotted to administration, and 3 days were on the road meeting with clients.

I learned that I am capable of maintaining a very corporate and professional countenance, as I am generally very laid-back and personable. I learned more about advertising and the internet than I ever knew was out there, and I learned that I can push myself to new heights and achieve anything I try at.

My co-workers were like family. I am still in constant contact with many of them in my personal life. I learned a lot and our team was very strong and helped each other constantly.

My managers were amazing and were truly there to help. I can't say enough good things about them.

The hardest part of my job was being away from my children, which proved to be too much. I handled the hour+ daily commute well and enjoyed the many challenges the job presented.

The part of the job I enjoyed the most was the actual face-to-face time with the clients, and presenting the proposals. I researched each business and designed marketing campaigns specifically for them, to improve their ROI and bring the best qualified leads possible. I absolutely loved going over analytics and finding new ways to improve their ROI.
Pros
company laptop, iphone, internet & phone, mileage & benefits
Cons
long hours (i was working over 60 hours a week)
Amazing work culture
Consumer Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2012
It's a great location with an amazing work culture, benefits are really good as well.
Steady Employment
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  scarboroughSeptember 21, 2014
Working from home, I set appointments and visit prospective clients on a daily/weekly schedule
Closing 2-3 deals weekly on average
The work atmosphere, culture and management is fine.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom to work from home
The hardest part of the job is the limitations we are put under and
no chance for advancement
Pros
work from home
Cons
zero advancement; little respect
Changing with the times.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJuly 2, 2014
Company is committed to change and wants to become a Market Leader / On-line Power House in Canada.
Offer tremendous value to advertisers and constantly looking at acquiring partnerships to elevate performance + exposure for paying customers.
Employees work hard and are dedicated to the company.
Corporate culture has been a focal point and getting better over the last few years.
Pros
committed to changes, always looking to improve business roi for smb`s.
Cons
many moving parts, it systems, org. changes, competitive pricing models.
Not a good career move!
Premise rep (Former Employee) –  BarrieAugust 10, 2012
If you enjoy working by yourself with high sales targets, miserable people, and high pressure management...this is for you!
Not to mention no one uses yellow pages anymore.......
Pros
good diability group plan coverage after 3 months...if you make it!
Cons
high pressure management, impossible electronic sales system, no support staff, high sales targets, poor usage, high rates, long hours, no consideration for work balance, print is no longer used, internet presence is poor

Comment – August 21, 2012

If you were forced to leave the business, your attitude shows why. If you chose to leave, Great you clearly didn't believe in the transformation. Best of luck finding a company that provides a compensation plan as competitive as YP!

Comment – August 26, 2012

I appreciate an honest review. Honestly I've heard many similar unfavourable comments from employees. The stocks died! NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK No need to make rude comments...idontknow?

Best place to work
Billing Clerk and Comission Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 21, 2014
I was able to work in various departments and learn new skill with each of them. The company gave us opportunities through their free courses to better our skills with our jobs. I was fortunate to have worked with other people work oriented like myself. Whenever I learned something useful or beneficial to my job/dept, I would share it or present it to my co-workers if it was something I knew would help them.

The hardest part of the job was trying to meet all deadlines when things went wrong like system crashes or last minute advertising changes.

I really liked that I was able to move around in various departments from switchboard , to clerical for 21 years.
Pros
company celebrations
Cons
job security