Yankee Candle Company

Yankee Candle Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A great product to work with everyday, you create personal relationships through fragrance.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ogden, UTFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great product, good hours
Cons: not enough payroll, a lot of floor set requirements
I loved working for this company, we were always staying busy with tasks and had new opportunities to challenge ourselves. I loved the product and still own quite a bit to this day, this company was definitely on my top jobs list. :)
Fun as long as you get along with management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Meriden CtFebruary 17, 2015
I noticed that a lot of growth within the company only happens if you have it good with the higher ups. Training is done via outdated video tape and a few hours on the register. Ive noticed a lot of theft going on within the company that is ignored.
productive, mellow workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Freehold, NJFebruary 17, 2015
I enjoy working at Yankee Candle. It has given me the opportunity to learn and grow within my workplace. I can also interact with customers and receive feedback from regular shoppers.
Easy job that pays okay
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Rhode IslandFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: short shifts
Cons: no breaks
A typical shift is working with costumers helping them find various things they need in the store. Working the register, and handling money. You also spend a good amount of time cleaning, and organizing, and restocking the store.
productive and fun work place
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), South Deerfield, MAFebruary 2, 2015
Working there was a fun job and the people there were amazing. felt like we were family working together to beat expatiations and records.
Great People, Low Pay
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee), MichiganJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: freebies, customers, great staff, good work/life balance, relaxed retail environment
Cons: low wages
I was technically a seasonal hire, but when my location folded the company was nice enough to put me onto their non-seasonal staff in order to give me a severance package. This company actually cares.

Everyone I worked with was very sweet - great work environment and a relaxed retail atmosphere. My managers were very reasonable and the store manager was very clear of her expectations.

Loved getting freebie wax melts when a new fragrance line would come out and the customers were fun to interact with.

Thought the company could have paid more for a second assistant but it was a little less than $1 over minimum wage -- and this is for a second assistant! Someone who needs to open/close the store as well as be in charge of numbers, setting goals in the store.

Overall, I really did like my time working there even though it was cut short.
Laid back place to work.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), North Charleston, SCJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: part time benefits, enjoyable co-workers
Cons: healthcare, labor budget, communication
Overall, my experience at Yankee Candle has been great. I've worked there for 6 years, which alone says it's not a bad place to work. In the past, the company has provided it's employees with great benefits. The company was recently bought out and the benefits aren't as good as they were in the past. For the most part, I've gotten along well with my co-workers although there has been a large turn over in part time managers and sales associates. Because of the turn over, I would often come in early, work late, and work extra shifts, which, unfortunately, had a negative impact on my education. We were often short staffed and at one point our staff was running two stores. Working here has further developed my people skills and helped me to solve problems quickly and stress free.
Good entry level oppertunity
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Manchester, CTJanuary 12, 2015
I really enjoyed all of my co workers. Busy season was great but slow season gets really slow. The candles themselves are fun to deal with, not a difficult product to sell.
Productive work environment, horrible advancement
sales associate (Former Employee), Pleasant Prairie, WIJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: new learning experiences.
Cons: short breaks, horrible upper management
My typical work day consisted of me stocking and cleaning, helping customers as well, and maintaining a professional work attitude. I learned the basics of candles, and the company values. The management was great but the people above management are horrible. After I left, they dropped all the part timers down to 1 MAYBE 2 days a week, while they expect the 2 managers to open and close the store by themselves every day. The hardest part was dealing with the rude customer who would get upset and break candles as they left, or the customers who children would be really careless. But I have so many siblings that cleaning up after others is a normal occurrence. I enjoyed stocking and cleaning the most, customer care is a priority, but I love stocking and cleaning.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Monroeville, PAJanuary 7, 2015
Cons: full time not available
Great managers and a fun place to work
Great selection of items and products
Seasonal transition flow smoothly
Hardest part of the job is standing for long periods of time
Not enough hours to make a full time schedule
Learning a lot about the company history and products
Great chance to learn basic management skills
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILJanuary 3, 2015
In this position you provide customer service ensuring that guests have a memorable experience. You will handle customer complaints, concerns, questions, returns/exchanges, and all other cashier functions. You will supervise employees as well as train new associate. You are responsible for all daily functions including opening and closing the store. You will assist in hiring and interviewing employees.
Being a manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYDecember 23, 2014
Pros: good management team
Cons: no hours
My typical day at work would be to clock in and get right to work. I would check to see if the DM had sent any emails, what the daily goal is, where we are at, and then start my day. As I would fill the store, I would assists all customers that walk into Yankee candle. My management team is great! We all work very well together to get where our store comps need to be. We are all very productive which is a plus as being a manager. My co-workers are also a great assist to the team. They work very well with the managers including myself, and also with the store. They put in more effort than any other sales associate I've worked with. Closing would have to be one of the most difficult part of the job, handling the deposits, but it's simple for me, just time consuming. Having customers walk out of the store happy with the merchandise that they wanted is the most enjoyable part of the day. My job may be a manager, but at the same time I love to make customers feel good about themselves and what they get before leaving our store.
temp work
unloading trailors,palet sorter (Former Employee), Deerfield, MADecember 16, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: temp job
it was temp work for sesional.i just unloaded trailors by hand and stacked then ocodentley to fit of the pallets
Great Company
Consumer Direct Lead (Current Employee), South Deerfield, MADecember 6, 2014
Yankee Candle is a great place to work. The corporate culture is that of team work. Everyone enjoys what they do and everyone works well together.
Great work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kalamazoo, MIDecember 2, 2014
Great staff, and managers. Work flow is good, and of course all the candles. Co-workers all work well together and it's a great work environment.
Productive and Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ellenton, FLNovember 30, 2014
Pros: smelling the candles, discounts, etc.
Cons: management, busy work days.
I loved working at Yankee Candle mainly for the customers. Everyone seemed to be very excited to shop with us. I learned how to take care of candles accurately and how our candles were made. Management was tough to work with, very pushy and intimidating. My co-workers were very supportive and fun to work with. The hardest part of this job was dealing with management and our secret shopper. The most enjoyable part of this job was smelling all of our wonderful candles!
Great Company to work for! It all starts here!
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Whatley, MA YCPNovember 25, 2014
Pros: breaks every 2 hours, stretch breaks, overtime, first to smell a new scent, good pay, you're a walking advertisement since you always smell like candles!
Cons: production rates, biweekly pay, candle smell you can't get rid of.
I worked as a Temp for 6 months and really wanted to be permanently hired. I showed how much I love the job and how good of a worker I was and I was hired permanently! My hours are kinda weird (12hr shift) but you take what you can get and. There's always room for advancement! It's the Scenter of the universe in the production plant!
badly managed company
Customer service (Current Employee), lakesideNovember 14, 2014
disappointing and unorganized.
after going for a interview and getting the job i explained from the start hours after 5.30pm are difficult due to being a loan parent, my hours was agreed, after 3 weeks of working the company then decided that the agreed hours was not going to work for them and told me i no longer have a job
Great work atmosphere and very hands on training.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Valley, WANovember 12, 2014
Pros: great staff, encouraging work place, smells awesome!
I love my job at Yankee Candle! My coworkers are all so much fun to work with and I love all the hands on training. Everyone there is so approachable and easy to work with. I have learned a lot about customer service and have really improved my skills with customers, adding onto sales, and reaching my sales goals. Unfortunately the sales associates hours have been cut for at least the remainder of the year so I am currently looking for a second job to fill that gap. That so far has been the hardest part of my job is being able to finally feel like I am getting my footing and then my hours are cut but I do love working there the few hours I do get.
Great job with wonderful people!
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Dayton, OHNovember 5, 2014
Pros: good pay, great people
Cons: phsyically demanding, hours on your feet
To work at Yankee for my first job has been an absolutely great experience. I start my day by clocking in, and each day is different. I either stock shelves, open shipment, customer service, or clean. Whichever needs done at the time. This can be a very slow pace job, but it also has its demands on very busy days. Also has physical demands with lots of bending down, climbing ladders, and carrying heavy candles during shipment.

About Yankee Candle Company

While most Yankees are good at warming their homes, the ones at The Yankee Candle Company (YCC) are also good at making their – Read more

Yankee Candle Company Photos