Yankee Candle Company

Yankee Candle Company Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nice place to work
Second Assistant (Former Employee), Burbank, OhioJuly 1, 2014
Manager and co-workers were great. I learned a lot about sales and running a store.
Laid-back, good clientele and discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 26, 2014
Pros: 50% off merchandise, laid-back
Cons: can be very slow and boring
I learned more about candles than I will ever need to know! The store was in a mall and it typically got busier during the evenings so it can be boring and drawn out during the day. Coworkers were great, but you either work by yourself if you're a second assistant/assistant manager or with another manager or sales associate, so it's up to you on how – more... you feel working with one person. – less
Typical retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 26, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: slow
The people were great to work with. A typical day at the job was selling to customers, light maintenance, and stocking.
I enjoyed learning planograms; it spoke to my inner designer.
It's a large, corporate company, so everything is managed very well, and punctuality is very important there.
Culture of Disfunction/Mistrust
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), WAJune 23, 2014
Pros: substantial discounts on products, decent benefits for full time staff
Cons: inconsistant management, no work/life balance, little-to-no ability to communicate with upper level management without fear of reprisal.
Great product with good customer service ideals.
Management within the company leaves much to be desired, however. There is a systemic culture of dysfunction as upper level management refuses to accept accountability. Store, District, and Regional Managers play favorites amongst their teams, with those who are favored having a blind eye turned towards – more... their actions. High turn-over rate due to improper handling and blatant disregard of Yankee's Cooperate and Ethical standards for employment. Unreasonable expectation placed upon team members and inability for flexibility to get tasks done. No support from upper levels of management.
Benefits are decent for FT personnel, but using PTO and Sick/Personal days is near impossible. Flexibility for scheduling is non-existent unless you are in the Store/District Manager's 'good graces' – less
Productive and Awesome Place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLJune 12, 2014
Great in customer service
greet customers with a smile
experienced in multitasking
it smells great!
First Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJune 7, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: hours, schedule, conversion, ads
Job consists of paperwork, guest service, cashier, obtaining sale goals. Management has benefits but the opportunity for growth is just not there. Co-workers are great when they do their job correctly. The hardest part was following the ASAP policy with customers, keeping a high average dollar sale. The most enjoyable is selling candles.
Overall productive workplace with a consitent pleasant smell
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Smithfield, NCJune 4, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, good smelling environment
Cons: dependable management, dependable hours
A typical day at work consisted of rotating candles, meaning bringing new candles/ equipment from stock and displaying in the store for customer purchase. Help customers with accessorizing their candle with maybe trimmers, decorative plates or covers. Work together with team members to make sure every store need is met.
Part Time Assist Manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Stow, OHMay 19, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, learning more, teaching others how to sell.
Cons: working holidays.
My job as an assistant manager was to train new employees, do floor sets, visuals as needed, do bank deposits, payroll weekly, and offer strong customer service skills.
Great products and people
Customer Marketing Manager - Food, Drug & Mass (Current Employee), South Deerfield, MAMay 14, 2014
Lots of pride working at the number one candle company in the country!
WONDERFUL PLACE!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Roseville, CAMay 12, 2014
While at this job its an enjoyment the moment I walk in. My co-workers and bosses are amazing and if something is wrong they are right there to help. I enjoy getting to know them and knowing what will be new every time I come into the store. They also give me the confidence when it comes to customers coming into the store. There was some things that – more... I struggled with for awhile but now I got the hang of it all thanks to my co-workers! I enjoy interacting with the customers and when I can connect to them its even way more enjoyable. Kori is one the best bosses and I am glad I have the opportunity to work there with her. – less
A pretty typical retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Colonial Heights, VAMay 8, 2014
Pros: smells good, nice atmosphere, slightly above minimum wage pay
Cons: very slow days are numerous, and you aren't guaranteed hours
It's a decent atmosphere. The candles keep the air fresh and on a busy day time will fly. The downside is there aren't many busy days and you will complete your tasks before your shift is anywhere near over. You will spend most of the time doing small unimportant tasks like washing the windows three times a day just to pass time.
fun workplace .. great management team .. chances for advancement .. good work and performance was always noticed
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDMay 3, 2014
Pros: ability to advance, appropriate lunch breaks, smelled candles all day was a definite plus for me and employee discounts were grand
Cons: slow foot traffic in store .. usually understaffed so often worked longer hours
Foot traffic was very slow unfortunately but the patrons who did visit were really excited about the store. I've learned how to manage my time and stay busy by keeping the visual integrity of the store up to the standards of corporate and familiarizing myself with all of the products. I also learned to upsale every purchase. it was a small store and – more... usually had no more than 2 employees so it was easy to get things done. There wasn't anything particularly challenging about this job but I did love that i sold candles all day :)
I also loved that we kept in constant communication with other stores in the region, if we needed an extra hand with a holiday set up an employee from another district could volunteer to help ease the load which was great because we didn't have to train or guide them in any way. – less
Great company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New Hartford, NYApril 22, 2014
The YC Company is a great company to work for. The job was very enjoyable the management team was great made you feel very welcome, provided each customer with a personalized experience.
Place has great benefit package
Electrical Systems Manager (Former Employee), Whately, MAApril 22, 2014
Pros: great benefit package but who knows now.
Cons: big corporaion owned by a bigger corporation. profit makes all decisions
Yankee Candle was a great place to work when it was owned by the original founder. As time went on and it changed hands several times it got worse over time since it became more like the big corporations that one reads about. The only thing that counts is the bottom line and people get left in the dust.
fun work place at times and selective hard working employees
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEApril 19, 2014
Pros: having down time to get shipment done
Cons: no benefits, district managers put alot of pressure on you no one has good communication.
A typical day at Yankee Candle is pretty slow depending on the season, sometimes your standing around cleaning or straightening and wont see a customer for hours.I've learned that being a manager is not as scary as it seems being the one in charge and knowing that someone trusts you to run the store is a pretty good feeling.my co workers were great – more... very hard working ,respectful and caring.the hardest part of the job was having to do the constant changes to our floor set. if it called for one scent one day and corp wanted it to be something the next all your hard work the day or night before was for nothing. the most enjoyable part of the job was building a bond with my co workers and regular customers after a while everyone becomes one big family. – less
great people, but every store is different
Store Manager (Former Employee), NEApril 17, 2014
Good environment for awhile, but I was ready to start a new career
Fun Part-time Job, But No Room For Growth!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Katy, TXApril 17, 2014
It's the easiest part-time job... However, there are times that are extremely slow. People are sent home to save payroll. You look for things to do to pass the time. Sometimes, there's NOTHING to do and you're bored. The traffic is not steady and can go from o to 30!

I work as a sales associate, but would like to be considered for a second assistant – more... position. However, according to Yankee Candles policy the store manager can hire two part-time or one full-time second assistant. My store manager hired a full-time, which didn't leave room for flexibility in schedule or advancement. There is only a staff of four, but most of the hours(an average of 32...) are guaranteed to management. My hours as an associate fluctuate between 6-12 hrs. per week. A three hour shift is needed to maintain employment with the company per week. I work another job to help compensate for lack of hours and low pay.

Most decisions including promotions and transfers are made by store manager and the district manager is very hands off. As a matter of fact, my store manager never met the district manager face to face during the hiring process. Unfortunately, friends are hired from outside and given management opportunities. Qualified, knowledgeable, hard working employees that work within the company are slighted and left with only the option to leave.

Right now, I'm torn between whether I should keep a part-time job that I love or look else where for growth! – less
Used to be a Good Compay
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 16, 2014
Pros: flexable hours
Cons: pay is low for work load/responsablity, no control of stock always sold out of needed items, new work hours on thanksving.
Ever since the company was bought by Jardin, the company is changing and not in good ways. They are cutting costs with employees and not investing in products.
Store level is good, good work place, friendly and hard working staff.
Management at store level is good, district is not as involved as it should, or is micro managing to negatively affect stores.
Daily sales associate duties
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Bartlett, TNApril 11, 2014
Pros: working with products i love
Cons: stocking
I love working with the public and have been a long-time fan of Yankee Candle products so it is easy and enjoyable to work there. All the staff wok as a team and the Manger, Cynthia Jenkins, is supportive and always has new tips for us to do our best job possible.
easy going and stress free work place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Cherry Hill, NJApril 11, 2014
I learn every day im at work. the customers for the most part are pleasant. I have a wonderful team of 6 that helps one another. However they do not pay well which makes it hard for me to want to stay.

About Yankee Candle Company

While most Yankees are good at warming their homes, the ones at The Yankee Candle Company (YCC) are also good at making their – Read more

Yankee Candle Company Photos