Yankee Candle Company

Yankee Candle Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Engaging Part Time Job That I Look Forward To.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Fun environment, great product, good employee discount
Cons: short breaks, not a lot of room for advancement
At this job you are required to work with customers in-depth, not just saying "hello" and waiting for them to check out, Yankee Candle's goal is to give the customer an excellent shopping experience and find the perfect candle for them. I've learned a lot about the product that I really do love, and enhanced my people skills. This is a fairly easy-going job as a Sales Associate, it is a job that I keep for leisure and extra spending money; working about 10-15 hours a week. The people I meet are nice and my managers and I have a great time everyday.
I love the product and enjoy the staff I work with very much
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Evansville, INMarch 13, 2015
My responsibilities requiring opening or closing the store and filling out paper work/monies depending upon the time of my shift. I greet and enjoy the customers that we have and assist them in purchasing items. I have learned quite a lot about the product and the company. I find management is overwhelmed with pushing sales for the highest average dollar sale and that sometimes interferes with the maintaining of payroll for all workers to enhance the quality of customer service. My co-workers are smart and fun young associates. The hardest part of my job is dealing the the bureaucracy of some of the district/regional demands. The most enjoyable part of the job are the associates I work with and the customers.
Interacting with customers, always a pleasure
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEMarch 13, 2015
Pros: interacting with the public
Cons: no benefits
It was a fun job, however not much room for advancement. The hours were minimal. I gained a lot of product knowledge which was essential to providing excellent customer service.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pleasant Prairie, WIMarch 11, 2015
I would come in, and get to work on projects that needed to be done. including but not limited to, stocking, moving shipment/signing in shipment. Cleaning, setting displays ect.

I learned alot about customer care, and candles.

Management was okay, no room to move up from part time, and after I left my friends said that they got their hours cut drastically.

My coworkers were amazing.

The hardest part of the job was the state of the store. The store was chaotic for the most part. (Not customer wise, but management and product wise)

I loved stocking and interacting with customers. I brought alot of people back.
exceptional company to work for
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), South Deerfield, MAMarch 11, 2015
Stimulating and rewarding. There was a real team effort from your co-workers. This company always treated their empolyees well. Most everyday was a pleasure to work in this environment.
slow paced, easy going environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cranston, Rhode islandMarch 7, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: busy time during the holidays
A typical work day includes ringing out customer's transactions, stocking all the shelves, and helping all the customers find what they are looking for. I've learned that customer service can be fun. My management was very nice. The hardest part of the job was around the holidays. Things got very busy and very hectic. The most enjoyable part of the job was the down time.
Quality merchandise, out of date systems.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 2, 2015
Pros: quality merchandise
Cons: operating systems very outdated
Although quality merchandise, they were unfortunately behind the times in regard to their operating systems and training.
Having been in retail for over 20 years, I found this company to utilize out dated operating systems and was in need of streamlining procedures for more effective time management. The initial training was very thorough, but had little to no follow up.
I enjoyed selling the product and working with the customers, however upon reporting suspicious behavior by some of the employees, I found little support from a corporate level.
Fun work enviroment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Burlington, NCMarch 1, 2015
Pros: great work place
Cons: nights/weekends, hard to have a family life.
I have enjoyed my time spent at Yankee Candle and working in retail over the years. It gives you opportunity to build relationships with customers and not only that, I have seen huge growth in myself. Working with fellow employees and district managers have given me so much intake on professional and personal growth and im thankful to of had the opportunity to work with such a amazing group of people and for such a valuable company. I have discovered here recently that I am at the point in my life that I would like a more stable schedule being as I am a single mother and the retail life can sometimes be hard working late nights and weekends. I have been seeking change and now is the time!!
I have been in school for a degree in medical office management and I would love to pursue a career in a medical office setting. Sad to leave my fellow co workers as we have created such a bond and even my customers but I do realize that change is important in life and I am ready to better myself and my sons life.
A great product to work with everyday, you create personal relationships through fragrance.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ogden, UTFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great product, good hours
Cons: not enough payroll, a lot of floor set requirements
I loved working for this company, we were always staying busy with tasks and had new opportunities to challenge ourselves. I loved the product and still own quite a bit to this day, this company was definitely on my top jobs list. :)
Fun as long as you get along with management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Meriden CtFebruary 17, 2015
I noticed that a lot of growth within the company only happens if you have it good with the higher ups. Training is done via outdated video tape and a few hours on the register. Ive noticed a lot of theft going on within the company that is ignored.
productive, mellow workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Freehold, NJFebruary 17, 2015
I enjoy working at Yankee Candle. It has given me the opportunity to learn and grow within my workplace. I can also interact with customers and receive feedback from regular shoppers.
Easy job that pays okay
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Rhode IslandFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: short shifts
Cons: no breaks
A typical shift is working with costumers helping them find various things they need in the store. Working the register, and handling money. You also spend a good amount of time cleaning, and organizing, and restocking the store.
productive and fun work place
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), South Deerfield, MAFebruary 2, 2015
Working there was a fun job and the people there were amazing. felt like we were family working together to beat expatiations and records.
Great People, Low Pay
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee), MichiganJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: freebies, customers, great staff, good work/life balance, relaxed retail environment
Cons: low wages
I was technically a seasonal hire, but when my location folded the company was nice enough to put me onto their non-seasonal staff in order to give me a severance package. This company actually cares.

Everyone I worked with was very sweet - great work environment and a relaxed retail atmosphere. My managers were very reasonable and the store manager was very clear of her expectations.

Loved getting freebie wax melts when a new fragrance line would come out and the customers were fun to interact with.

Thought the company could have paid more for a second assistant but it was a little less than $1 over minimum wage -- and this is for a second assistant! Someone who needs to open/close the store as well as be in charge of numbers, setting goals in the store.

Overall, I really did like my time working there even though it was cut short.
Laid back place to work.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), North Charleston, SCJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: part time benefits, enjoyable co-workers
Cons: healthcare, labor budget, communication
Overall, my experience at Yankee Candle has been great. I've worked there for 6 years, which alone says it's not a bad place to work. In the past, the company has provided it's employees with great benefits. The company was recently bought out and the benefits aren't as good as they were in the past. For the most part, I've gotten along well with my co-workers although there has been a large turn over in part time managers and sales associates. Because of the turn over, I would often come in early, work late, and work extra shifts, which, unfortunately, had a negative impact on my education. We were often short staffed and at one point our staff was running two stores. Working here has further developed my people skills and helped me to solve problems quickly and stress free.
Good entry level oppertunity
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Manchester, CTJanuary 12, 2015
I really enjoyed all of my co workers. Busy season was great but slow season gets really slow. The candles themselves are fun to deal with, not a difficult product to sell.
Productive work environment, horrible advancement
sales associate (Former Employee), Pleasant Prairie, WIJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: new learning experiences.
Cons: short breaks, horrible upper management
My typical work day consisted of me stocking and cleaning, helping customers as well, and maintaining a professional work attitude. I learned the basics of candles, and the company values. The management was great but the people above management are horrible. After I left, they dropped all the part timers down to 1 MAYBE 2 days a week, while they expect the 2 managers to open and close the store by themselves every day. The hardest part was dealing with the rude customer who would get upset and break candles as they left, or the customers who children would be really careless. But I have so many siblings that cleaning up after others is a normal occurrence. I enjoyed stocking and cleaning the most, customer care is a priority, but I love stocking and cleaning.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Monroeville, PAJanuary 7, 2015
Cons: full time not available
Great managers and a fun place to work
Great selection of items and products
Seasonal transition flow smoothly
Hardest part of the job is standing for long periods of time
Not enough hours to make a full time schedule
Learning a lot about the company history and products
Great chance to learn basic management skills
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Vernon Hills, ILJanuary 3, 2015
In this position you provide customer service ensuring that guests have a memorable experience. You will handle customer complaints, concerns, questions, returns/exchanges, and all other cashier functions. You will supervise employees as well as train new associate. You are responsible for all daily functions including opening and closing the store. You will assist in hiring and interviewing employees.
Being a manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYDecember 23, 2014
Pros: good management team
Cons: no hours
My typical day at work would be to clock in and get right to work. I would check to see if the DM had sent any emails, what the daily goal is, where we are at, and then start my day. As I would fill the store, I would assists all customers that walk into Yankee candle. My management team is great! We all work very well together to get where our store comps need to be. We are all very productive which is a plus as being a manager. My co-workers are also a great assist to the team. They work very well with the managers including myself, and also with the store. They put in more effort than any other sales associate I've worked with. Closing would have to be one of the most difficult part of the job, handling the deposits, but it's simple for me, just time consuming. Having customers walk out of the store happy with the merchandise that they wanted is the most enjoyable part of the day. My job may be a manager, but at the same time I love to make customers feel good about themselves and what they get before leaving our store.

About Yankee Candle Company

While most Yankees are good at warming their homes, the ones at The Yankee Candle Company (YCC) are also good at making their – Read more

Yankee Candle Company Photos