Yankee Candle Company

Yankee Candle Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Basic Retail Job
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Glen Burnie, MDJuly 24, 2014
Pros: customers and coworkers
Cons: district managment
I learned all the basic retail skills and progressed to 2nd assistant manager while also going to school and work for a short time another or (2nd job). I worked with a wonderful bunch of co workers and had some great times there. However District Management wasn't very sympathetic and connected to their workers.
Fun company to work for
Assistant Manager/Training Sponsor (Former Employee), sterling heights, MIJuly 22, 2014
Pros: great discount, fun, friendly, postive environment
Cons: general management was terrible
I loved my time at Yankee Candle. My immediate supervisor was wonderful and so were all the assistant managers. They really cared and made the job fun. The only issue was the general manager who was extremely mean and unprofessional.
A verticle integrated company with many different career opportunities.
Employee (Current Employee), South Deerfield, MAJuly 22, 2014
A good place to work with supportive peers and management. The company believes in promoting from within, which is apparent with an excellent Learning & Development department.
Holidays
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Natick, MAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: talking to customers
Cons: holidays
Holidays were hectic. I would take the sales floor and direct customers into the direction in which their favorite scent was. With so many customers all of the time, I got to know people and really connect with them. I learned to appreciate small talk and get rise to the occasion of cash register duty when the line was out of the door all of December
Good relationship with customers
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Chester, ENGJuly 14, 2014
I found it extremely easy to build a relationship and friendship with various customers in Yankee Candle.
Great Place to work
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Canton, OHJuly 14, 2014
Yankee Candle is a great place to work. It's a fun place to work.
Okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJuly 11, 2014
Pros: coworkers, employee discount
Cons: pay, sales tactics
It was an alright enough place to work. It was seasonal and I needed the money. It was fun around the holidays because the mall was always super busy and it made time fly. My coworkers were all nice. There are a ton of scents but you learn them all pretty quickly. You basically ring people up and wrap (kinda like a Subway sandwich) candles. Shipments – more... weren't bad if you got teamed up with someone you liked, you basically got to hang out in back opening and cataloging candles for your entire shift (it would be like 150 boxes). Only thing I hated was the sales tactics, you basically had to keep bugging people instead of letting them shop. – less
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate-Stocking and Cashier (Former Employee), Monroeville, PAJuly 10, 2014
Was always a blast working here. Everyone was extremely nice and professional
Nice place to work
Second Assistant (Former Employee), Burbank, OhioJuly 1, 2014
Manager and co-workers were great. I learned a lot about sales and running a store.
Laid-back, good clientele and discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 26, 2014
Pros: 50% off merchandise, laid-back
Cons: can be very slow and boring
I learned more about candles than I will ever need to know! The store was in a mall and it typically got busier during the evenings so it can be boring and drawn out during the day. Coworkers were great, but you either work by yourself if you're a second assistant/assistant manager or with another manager or sales associate, so it's up to you on how – more... you feel working with one person. – less
Typical retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 26, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: slow
The people were great to work with. A typical day at the job was selling to customers, light maintenance, and stocking.
I enjoyed learning planograms; it spoke to my inner designer.
It's a large, corporate company, so everything is managed very well, and punctuality is very important there.
Culture of Disfunction/Mistrust
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), WAJune 23, 2014
Pros: substantial discounts on products, decent benefits for full time staff
Cons: inconsistant management, no work/life balance, little-to-no ability to communicate with upper level management without fear of reprisal.
Great product with good customer service ideals.
Management within the company leaves much to be desired, however. There is a systemic culture of dysfunction as upper level management refuses to accept accountability. Store, District, and Regional Managers play favorites amongst their teams, with those who are favored having a blind eye turned towards – more... their actions. High turn-over rate due to improper handling and blatant disregard of Yankee's Cooperate and Ethical standards for employment. Unreasonable expectation placed upon team members and inability for flexibility to get tasks done. No support from upper levels of management.
Benefits are decent for FT personnel, but using PTO and Sick/Personal days is near impossible. Flexibility for scheduling is non-existent unless you are in the Store/District Manager's 'good graces' – less
Productive and Awesome Place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLJune 12, 2014
Great in customer service
greet customers with a smile
experienced in multitasking
it smells great!
First Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJune 7, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: hours, schedule, conversion, ads
Job consists of paperwork, guest service, cashier, obtaining sale goals. Management has benefits but the opportunity for growth is just not there. Co-workers are great when they do their job correctly. The hardest part was following the ASAP policy with customers, keeping a high average dollar sale. The most enjoyable is selling candles.
Overall productive workplace with a consitent pleasant smell
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Smithfield, NCJune 4, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, good smelling environment
Cons: dependable management, dependable hours
A typical day at work consisted of rotating candles, meaning bringing new candles/ equipment from stock and displaying in the store for customer purchase. Help customers with accessorizing their candle with maybe trimmers, decorative plates or covers. Work together with team members to make sure every store need is met.
Part Time Assist Manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Stow, OHMay 19, 2014
Pros: meeting new people, learning more, teaching others how to sell.
Cons: working holidays.
My job as an assistant manager was to train new employees, do floor sets, visuals as needed, do bank deposits, payroll weekly, and offer strong customer service skills.
Great products and people
Customer Marketing Manager - Food, Drug & Mass (Current Employee), South Deerfield, MAMay 14, 2014
Lots of pride working at the number one candle company in the country!
WONDERFUL PLACE!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Roseville, CAMay 12, 2014
While at this job its an enjoyment the moment I walk in. My co-workers and bosses are amazing and if something is wrong they are right there to help. I enjoy getting to know them and knowing what will be new every time I come into the store. They also give me the confidence when it comes to customers coming into the store. There was some things that – more... I struggled with for awhile but now I got the hang of it all thanks to my co-workers! I enjoy interacting with the customers and when I can connect to them its even way more enjoyable. Kori is one the best bosses and I am glad I have the opportunity to work there with her. – less
A pretty typical retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Colonial Heights, VAMay 8, 2014
Pros: smells good, nice atmosphere, slightly above minimum wage pay
Cons: very slow days are numerous, and you aren't guaranteed hours
It's a decent atmosphere. The candles keep the air fresh and on a busy day time will fly. The downside is there aren't many busy days and you will complete your tasks before your shift is anywhere near over. You will spend most of the time doing small unimportant tasks like washing the windows three times a day just to pass time.
fun workplace .. great management team .. chances for advancement .. good work and performance was always noticed
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDMay 3, 2014
Pros: ability to advance, appropriate lunch breaks, smelled candles all day was a definite plus for me and employee discounts were grand
Cons: slow foot traffic in store .. usually understaffed so often worked longer hours
Foot traffic was very slow unfortunately but the patrons who did visit were really excited about the store. I've learned how to manage my time and stay busy by keeping the visual integrity of the store up to the standards of corporate and familiarizing myself with all of the products. I also learned to upsale every purchase. it was a small store and – more... usually had no more than 2 employees so it was easy to get things done. There wasn't anything particularly challenging about this job but I did love that i sold candles all day :)
I also loved that we kept in constant communication with other stores in the region, if we needed an extra hand with a holiday set up an employee from another district could volunteer to help ease the load which was great because we didn't have to train or guide them in any way. – less

About Yankee Candle Company

While most Yankees are good at warming their homes, the ones at The Yankee Candle Company (YCC) are also good at making their – Read more

Yankee Candle Company Photos