Yankee Candle Company

Yankee Candle Company Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
WONDERFUL PLACE!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Roseville, CAMay 12, 2014
While at this job its an enjoyment the moment I walk in. My co-workers and bosses are amazing and if something is wrong they are right there to help. I enjoy getting to know them and knowing what will be new every time I come into the store. They also give me the confidence when it comes to customers coming into the store. There was some things that – more... I struggled with for awhile but now I got the hang of it all thanks to my co-workers! I enjoy interacting with the customers and when I can connect to them its even way more enjoyable. Kori is one the best bosses and I am glad I have the opportunity to work there with her. – less
A pretty typical retail job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Colonial Heights, VAMay 8, 2014
Pros: smells good, nice atmosphere, slightly above minimum wage pay
Cons: very slow days are numerous, and you aren't guaranteed hours
It's a decent atmosphere. The candles keep the air fresh and on a busy day time will fly. The downside is there aren't many busy days and you will complete your tasks before your shift is anywhere near over. You will spend most of the time doing small unimportant tasks like washing the windows three times a day just to pass time.
fun workplace .. great management team .. chances for advancement .. good work and performance was always noticed
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Silver Spring, MDMay 3, 2014
Pros: ability to advance, appropriate lunch breaks, smelled candles all day was a definite plus for me and employee discounts were grand
Cons: slow foot traffic in store .. usually understaffed so often worked longer hours
Foot traffic was very slow unfortunately but the patrons who did visit were really excited about the store. I've learned how to manage my time and stay busy by keeping the visual integrity of the store up to the standards of corporate and familiarizing myself with all of the products. I also learned to upsale every purchase. it was a small store and – more... usually had no more than 2 employees so it was easy to get things done. There wasn't anything particularly challenging about this job but I did love that i sold candles all day :)
I also loved that we kept in constant communication with other stores in the region, if we needed an extra hand with a holiday set up an employee from another district could volunteer to help ease the load which was great because we didn't have to train or guide them in any way. – less
Great company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New Hartford, NYApril 22, 2014
The YC Company is a great company to work for. The job was very enjoyable the management team was great made you feel very welcome, provided each customer with a personalized experience.
Place has great benefit package
Electrical Systems Manager (Former Employee), Whately, MAApril 22, 2014
Pros: great benefit package but who knows now.
Cons: big corporaion owned by a bigger corporation. profit makes all decisions
Yankee Candle was a great place to work when it was owned by the original founder. As time went on and it changed hands several times it got worse over time since it became more like the big corporations that one reads about. The only thing that counts is the bottom line and people get left in the dust.
fun work place at times and selective hard working employees
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Wilmington, DEApril 19, 2014
Pros: having down time to get shipment done
Cons: no benefits, district managers put alot of pressure on you no one has good communication.
A typical day at Yankee Candle is pretty slow depending on the season, sometimes your standing around cleaning or straightening and wont see a customer for hours.I've learned that being a manager is not as scary as it seems being the one in charge and knowing that someone trusts you to run the store is a pretty good feeling.my co workers were great – more... very hard working ,respectful and caring.the hardest part of the job was having to do the constant changes to our floor set. if it called for one scent one day and corp wanted it to be something the next all your hard work the day or night before was for nothing. the most enjoyable part of the job was building a bond with my co workers and regular customers after a while everyone becomes one big family. – less
great people, but every store is different
Store Manager (Former Employee), NEApril 17, 2014
Good environment for awhile, but I was ready to start a new career
Fun Part-time Job, But No Room For Growth!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Katy, TXApril 17, 2014
It's the easiest part-time job... However, there are times that are extremely slow. People are sent home to save payroll. You look for things to do to pass the time. Sometimes, there's NOTHING to do and you're bored. The traffic is not steady and can go from o to 30!

I work as a sales associate, but would like to be considered for a second assistant – more... position. However, according to Yankee Candles policy the store manager can hire two part-time or one full-time second assistant. My store manager hired a full-time, which didn't leave room for flexibility in schedule or advancement. There is only a staff of four, but most of the hours(an average of 32...) are guaranteed to management. My hours as an associate fluctuate between 6-12 hrs. per week. A three hour shift is needed to maintain employment with the company per week. I work another job to help compensate for lack of hours and low pay.

Most decisions including promotions and transfers are made by store manager and the district manager is very hands off. As a matter of fact, my store manager never met the district manager face to face during the hiring process. Unfortunately, friends are hired from outside and given management opportunities. Qualified, knowledgeable, hard working employees that work within the company are slighted and left with only the option to leave.

Right now, I'm torn between whether I should keep a part-time job that I love or look else where for growth! – less
Used to be a Good Compay
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 16, 2014
Pros: flexable hours
Cons: pay is low for work load/responsablity, no control of stock always sold out of needed items, new work hours on thanksving.
Ever since the company was bought by Jardin, the company is changing and not in good ways. They are cutting costs with employees and not investing in products.
Store level is good, good work place, friendly and hard working staff.
Management at store level is good, district is not as involved as it should, or is micro managing to negatively affect stores.
Daily sales associate duties
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Bartlett, TNApril 11, 2014
Pros: working with products i love
Cons: stocking
I love working with the public and have been a long-time fan of Yankee Candle products so it is easy and enjoyable to work there. All the staff wok as a team and the Manger, Cynthia Jenkins, is supportive and always has new tips for us to do our best job possible.
easy going and stress free work place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Cherry Hill, NJApril 11, 2014
I learn every day im at work. the customers for the most part are pleasant. I have a wonderful team of 6 that helps one another. However they do not pay well which makes it hard for me to want to stay.
Typical day at work
Stock and Restock Associate (Current Employee), Williamsburg, VAApril 10, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere, nice people to work with, day goes by quickly
Cons: low pay, and no benefits
When I arrive at work in the morning I usually fill any candles that need to be filled. After that is completed I usually have a list of tasks to complete, or I break down palettes of merchandise. I am also in charge of the candy department at work, and once or twice a week I fill the candy and order anything that is running low. The company usually – more... receives two to three palettes a day so I am busy most of the day unloading new stock for the company. Then at the end of the day a team member and I would restock the stock and put bags and paper at each register for the next day. – less
Its a good job.
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee), kingston nyApril 8, 2014
Slow job and good for working while looking for other jobs. There isn't anything else to say. There isn't anything that really happens. It is just kind of freaking there and stop forcing me to fill this out with worthless words. It isn't fair because I can't say anything positive really because it was wonderful for what it was, a temporary job. It served – more... the only purpose I needed of it. – less
My time at Yankee Candle
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INApril 8, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: not enough hours
A typical day at work is helping customers find their desired fragrance, and making sure they leave happy. I learned how to communicate better. Management has been cooperative over the two years I've been there. I've gone through two managers, but both have been helpful. The hardest part of the job is making sure everyone is happy. Sometimes customers – more... can be vague on what they want. The most enjoyable part is also what is the hardest. It's a rewarding feeling when you've helped a customer and they leave very happy. – less
Fun place to work.
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee), AugustaApril 7, 2014
I loved giving great customer service! Most customers already knew what the were looking for, it was just my job to reassure them.
Fun workplace
Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Brookfield, WIApril 4, 2014
Good small business to work for. Delicious foods and recipes. Fun atmosphere.
Friendly Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Bangor, MEMarch 30, 2014
the daily workday consisted of maintaining the sales floor, and customer service being responsible for assisting customers by following the guidelines of Yankee candles selling standards and using company selling techniques to "wow" our guests.All my co-workers are extremely friendly and fun to be around.
Productive and high energy work place.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), West Lebanon, NHMarch 24, 2014
Great place to work! I learned more about management/ customer service skills, and selling/ visual merchandising skills.
fun place
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Deerfield, MAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: fun
good how to work with people good fun there was none doing a good job
Best retail job in my life.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 15, 2014
Pros: employee discount and sometimes got free products.
Everyday was pretty much the same. You would stock the shelves, greet customers and help them find whatever they needed, try to up-sell while helping them and/or during checkout. I got along with all the managers and coworkers. What I enjoyed was how everyone worked as a team during a sale and helped each other when stocking shelves, but the best part – more... was the smile that was on each customer's face that left the store happy with their purchase. – less

About Yankee Candle Company

While most Yankees are good at warming their homes, the ones at The Yankee Candle Company (YCC) are also good at making their – Read more

Yankee Candle Company Photos