Yahoo

Yahoo Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great compensation package, poor workload management and work/life balance.
Enigineer (Former Employee), NYNovember 10, 2014
Pros: great compensation package
Cons: poor work/life balance, not much room for advancement without taking cuts in pay.
I worked for Yahoo for a year, within that year I've seen my department as a revolving door of new people. The team I worked with went through at least 3 major changes in order to better serve the goal they were trying to accomplish and in my opinion they still do not have a working model. My talents, along with some of the talents of my former co-workers – more... were mismanaged in order to better serve the needs of management, from the time I started I was "guided" into an area of Operations that was not suited to my knowledge and experience.

The work/life balance in the team I worked with was barely manageable. The shift was 13 hours long and while you were given a 90 minute break, it didn't make up for the fact that every other week you worked 65 hours. – less
Job that was satisfactory with lack of job growth.
Customer Care Agent Tier 3 (Current Employee), Omaha, NENovember 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches, game tables, healthcare, 401 k, free work phone
Cons: lack of assistance with job growth, uncertain of role worth to the company as a whole.
The job itself was repetitive and unrewarding but the benefits were there to have you stay and they tried their best to make sure that you felt appreciated but that sentiment was not always there.
I loved it
Online advertising training specialist (Former Employee), EMEAOctober 31, 2014
Search & Display advertising methodology & platforms
Microsoft & Yahoo! search alliance project
Customer relationship management
sweatshop that pays
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee), Sunnyvale HQOctober 30, 2014
Pros: food, pay, macs
Cons: sweatshop, idiots
with free food all day, gym, phones, and mac laptops it's generous.

quality of food decreased during my tenure

BUT

they expect you to work 10+ hours a day with virtually no chance to advance. They eliminated QA so we had to do everything. They play games like only SEs have root, to eliminating SEs, and then you do all the work. Managed by asshats – more... for the most part. They are super smart but still don't get it. Too many incompetent people.

They did pretty much let me code what I wanted except for some ridiculous "we don't use python". force me to write in shell. silly

people actually wait in line to get Marissa's autograph. Imagine chinese and indian families lined up to get her autorgraph. too funny – less
fun workplace
Junior Executive (Former Employee), Bangalore, KAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: everything regarding work is free, lunches and no formal wear
Cons: longs hours sometimes
wonderful experience at yahoo. learning to work in a group and having fun with whatever we do is the best part of the job.
Good Comapny
Display Online Campaign Manager (Former Employee), DublinOctober 8, 2014
have been working at Yahoo! for nearly a year now in online advertising and it feels like years regarding all the knowledge and experience I have acquired so far.
It is a fast paced environment and we are challenged on daily basis. Our management gives us complete responsibility dealing with partners and clients. It is very challenging, we might work – more... overtime from time to time to meet deadlines but the culture and work environment helps to overcome these challenges.
work life balance mostly depends on your way to manage your workload and also on the challenges we might face sometimes.
In a few words: Great people, great culture, fast pace environment,flexibility, team work – less
Awesome place to work. Management is very accommodating
Datacenter Tech (Current Employee), Santa Clara, CASeptember 30, 2014
Would love to work for this company forever, the datacenter is closing down. Manager and colleagues are excellent people. They are team players. Wouldn't ask for more.
Good place
Account Manager - Search, Yahoo (Current Employee), Omaha, NESeptember 28, 2014
Great benefits. High paced environment. Work from my inbox so there isn't a "typical" day. Each quarter we have new goals to focus on that determine the companies priorities for the next 3 months.
a fun place to work for
Senior Credit Analyst (Former Employee), Sunnyvale, CASeptember 19, 2014
Pros: good health care
Cons: traffic
I was there for a year. It was fun but no alot of opportunities to grow.
good
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee), Bangalore, IndiaSeptember 1, 2014
very good work culture. I like the processes. very good work culture. I like the processes. very good work culture. I like the processes.
Productive, fun, casual, exciting place to work
Executive Assistant to the SVP (Former Employee), Sunnyvale, CAAugust 23, 2014
Pros: free coffee bars & drinks, large variety of food for a small price, accessibility to vip clients, events and music
Cons: large work load
A typical day is very busy -- my job would require engaging in calendar management, executive scheduling, travel arrangements, helping employees with meeting schedules, conference rooms, expense reports, social events and day-to-day operations. The hardest part of the job would be to juggle the large amount of work and e-mails. The most enjoyable part – more... was the people, my executive and my co-workers -- we worked hard and played hard! – less
Leader in Internet content
Executive Assistant to SVP (Former Employee), Sunnyvale, CAAugust 18, 2014
Fun place to work - very laid back but always busy. Great team atmosphere and company perks
Productive place to work
SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER (Current Employee), SunnyvaleAugust 14, 2014
Great executive staff. There's vision for where the company is going.
Easy, comfortable work environment
Photo Editor (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAAugust 11, 2014
Co-workers were friendly and helpful when needed. The morning snacks were helpful and unlimited drinks and snacks throughout the day helped.
Struggling giant with great benefits
Sr. Technical (Former Employee), Sunnyvale, CAJuly 23, 2014
I have worked with some of the nicest and smartest people in the industry at Yahoo. Unfortunately, the company is struggling to engineer a workaround and work/life balance, job security and advancement opportunities all take a backseat.
Yahoo Rocks
Sr Engineering Manager, Cloud services (Current Employee), Sunnyvale, CAJuly 18, 2014
Responsible for leading a software engineering team in Cloud services. Network monitoring, tools, automation and integration services provided to multiple groups across Yahoo platforms and infrastructure.
-- Network Monitoring: Monitor all network devices via SNMP or API’s , store data in grid
-- Splunk: Aggregate logs from network devices in central – more... splunk instance
-- DNS: Dns database (LAMP stack), API’s and CLI tools
-- OpenStack: Integrating Openstack with systems infrastructure, VM and baremetal provisioning -- IPMI: Enabling IPMI for console and bootbox services on production hosts
-- Security Operations: Automating ticket generation for malware alerts generated by FireEye
-- System Administration teams: Rename, Re-ip, Reimage production hosts, via web and CLI
-- Finance: Audit of all hosts and network gear across all colos worldwide
-- Site Ops: Eliminating Tech debt by identifying vulnerable packages across production hosts
-- Edge infrastructure: Configuration automation for Proxy and caching services
-- Technologies: Java, Python, Html, Css, Pig – less
Fun place to work
HEAD OF SALES FINANCE OPERATIONS MEA (Current Employee), Dubai, DUJune 29, 2014
Pros: free lunch and phone
Cons: limited reward
Challenging but very fun place to work
very smart and nice people to work with
Interactive and fun media environment
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 6, 2014
It's a great company to work for that allows for a multitude of areas to development of any interest.
Fun place to work with plenty of great perks!
Program Manager (Current Employee), Sunnyvale, CAMay 23, 2014
Pros: free food, free shuttle, new parent perks, stock options, excellent healthcare, games and fun
Cons: cumbersome procurement system, frequent process changes as we re-align the business
A typical day at work involves grabbing a freshly juiced vegetable/fruit drink and an omelet at URLs (Yahoo's onsite cafeteria), reviewing my tasks for the day, digging into email, reviewing the systems for required action/adjudication of pending background checks, taking a coffee break for a free caramel macchiato. Next, I schedule calls with candidates – more... whose background checks require additional information or further review and responding to requests for information from clients, stakeholders. Off to URLs for free lunch with my co-workers and boss. Back to the office for meetings and/or more work. Mid-afternoon I take a walk around the campus, usually a mile or mile and a half, then grab a quick healthy snack from the kitchen on my floor. Then it's back to work until the close of the business day. I then head out to catch the free shuttle from Sunnyvale to San Francisco, at which time I might finish up work using the shuttle's wifi, listen to music, play games or watch a movie on my Kindle, or take a nice nap before getting home to my family.

I love my co-workers, who have become my friends. The hardest part of the job is getting things accomplished through our procurement system. The most enjoyable part of my job is making solid, policy-driven decisions for the safety and security of Yahoo employees and the company's assets. I have learned a lot at Yahoo and have been given the leverage to shape my program and improve process and technology. Yahoo-ooooo! – less
Fun place to work
Software Engineer (Former Employee), AmmanMay 3, 2014
I like that place only 6 hour scrum daily, you learn a lot of technology like javascript php and java.

1 2 3 4 5

About Yahoo

Yahoo! Inc. (Yahoo!), together with its consolidated subsidiaries, is a global Internet brand. Together with its owned and operated – Read more

Yahoo Photos