We are seeking an Employment Advisor to join our team who is energetic, personable, resourceful, well-organized, natural at building relationships and bringing out the best in people, and excels in a challenging work environment. The successful candidate should have significant experience working with a diverse clientele in an employment setting. The Employment Advisor assists clients with their employment needs by developing collaborative relationships with clients; developing personalized action plans that address the client’s needs and conducting ongoing follow-up, support and monitoring of client progress and achievements both prior to and after labour market (or community) attachment has been achieved. Your ability to network and establish a solid knowledge of local labour market information is also considered critical. You will demonstrate sensitivity to the diverse needs of clients such as literacy, emotional, social, behavioural and cultural differences.
Major Responsibilities and Abilities:
- Provide case management services to a caseload of program participants
- Develop action plans with realistic activities and goals leading to the quickest route to labour market (or community) attachment
- Refer participants to appropriate program components
- Monitor participant progress and revise action plan where required to ensure participant achieves successful outcome
- Perform job readiness and needs assessments
- Provide ongoing support and follow-up
- Utilize and maintain currency in the ICM data entry system
- Work closely with other YMCA WorkBC team members
- Degree/Diploma in Counselling, Psychology, Social Sciences, or related discipline, OR education and training specializing in Employment and Career Coaching
- A combination of education, training and practical experience in the employment field will be considered
- 2+ years experience working with at-risk individuals in a Case Management role
- Extensive knowledge of LMI, employment, and community resources
- Ability to articulate EPBC benefits to participants and employers
- Skilled at assessing client abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and capable of working with specialized populations
- Excellent time management, organizational, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with technology in a Windows environment, including MS Office
- Accurate data entry and file documentation skills
- Ability to self-manage complex responsibilities and work environment
- Proven ability to be adaptable in your approach by adjusting to changes in service delivery, the labour market and client needs trends
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than [six (6) months] preceding your start date. The YMCA will provide applicable instructions and paperwork.
- Upon request provide 3 references. A minimum of 2 will be professional in nature (e.g. Employer, Supervisor or Colleague.
Commitment to Mission, Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of YMCA-YWCA of the Okanagan.
Relationship Building and Collaboration: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
Self-Management: Ability to direct personal performance to achieve desired results with minimum supervision.
Initiative: Seeks and finds solutions to problems without waiting for direction and understands when to take action on issues.
Leadership: Motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Application Process: (Position posted until filled)
Please apply with cover letter and resume, to:
Michou Szabo, WorkBC Operations Manager
50 Calgary Avenue, Penticton, BC V2A
mszabo (at) ymcaokanagan.ca
We thank you for your interest, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.