The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is one of the Lower Mainland’s leading multi-service charities. With the help of skilled and motivated volunteers, the YMCA helps more than 95,000 participants annually. YMCA Connections programming helps newcomers integrate and helps long-term residents connect to new immigrants. YMCA Connections programs and activities are funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
The YMCA Connections Social and Educational Events (SEE) are fun monthly activities and events of 3-5 hours for newcomers and their families, combining recreation, social connections, intercultural and intergenerational exchange and information on life in Canada. The Social and Educational Events Committee of volunteers helps the YMCA staff to plan and organize the events. These include cultural celebrations such as Lunar New Year, recreational activities such as Father’s Day picnics, guided hikes and yoga classes and special interest workshops and dialogues such as Parenting in Canada or Community Gardening.
YMCA Connections is recruiting volunteers for a new Social and Educational Events Committee for events based at Brentwood Community Resource Centre in North Burnaby, starting in May. The Social and Educational Events volunteers will assist with all aspects of planning and implementing the monthly events and activities, including logistics and coordination; seeking community in-kind support (e.g. prizes); participant reception and registration; kitchen help, ESL facilitation and event set up and clean up.
In addition to attending each monthly event as required by the Program Facilitator, the volunteer role includes participation in the monthly Social and Educational Events Committee meeting, held on the second Tuesday of every month, from 5:30-7:00pm. The monthly event will usually be held on either a Sunday afternoon or a Thursday evening.
The person in this position should be/have:
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Good command of English
- Good intercultural communication skills
- Friendly and welcoming
- Motivated to work with newcomers
- Extremely Reliable
- Minimum 6 month commitment.
- Able to attend the following:
1) Volunteer orientation and training: Wednesday May 7, 5:30-7:30pm.
2) First Social and Educational Committee planning meeting: Tuesday May 13: 5:30-7:00pm.
- Be of immediate assistance to newcomers.
- Develop your event planning skills and build intercultural communication skills.
- Sense of accomplishment by serving and supporting your local community.
- Be part of a diverse team of great people.
- The YMCA will cover the cost of a Criminal Record Check.
- Reliable dedicated volunteers will receive a reference from the YMCA of Greater Vancouver.