XS Cargo Employee Reviews

Great coworkers saved this job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 August 2016
This company no longer exists, having declared bankruptcy and falling apart a few years ago. While I did worker there, I admittedly did not like the job, but I had terrific coworkers. Turnover rates for this company was usually very high, within the three-month probation usually, but my coworkers and I were able to stay employed for a very long time. I was transferred to this job from an XS Cargo in Medicine Hat, Alberta. The hardest part of this job was management and customers, who were often hostile (understandably) due to the terrible return policy and practices of XS Cargo. I was expected to sell three-year "warranties" which were roundabout ways of trapping customers into never getting their money back from the store once paid, even if they got a faulty and defective product. The most enjoyable part of this job was my coworkers, who fought with me to keep the workplace sane.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible company policies
shipping/ receiving , cashier, stock
STOCK, SHIPPER/RECEIVER, CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2017
Fun atmosphere, fast paced, good management however company went out of business. manager was great, just not enough hours
Challenging
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 January 2017
Good company for work for and new thing to learn every day. Merchandising skills, new ideas and as a general manager you own the store and responsibe the results and targets.
Customer service oriented and sales driven
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 May 2016
Above all XS Cargo was a great life and career experience. During this journey i learned how to be a team leader, merchandise, generate Sales, and ship/receive product. The company closed shortly after i started my career due to bankruptcy.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Untrustworthy employers
Great people, awful management
Winnipeg Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 June 2016
I loved the work, hated the management.
Co-workers were great to be around. Always had a fun time. Upper management had no respect for us though.
Cons
upper management
was a fun family to work for
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC20 October 2013
From start to finish we were always on the go. Formulated a plan of what we were going to do that day, set our goals and pressed on until our tasks were reached. Learned alot from how to balance great customer service skills with great work ethic so things could get completed in a days time and also sales goals could be achieved. Management always lead by example, made you feel you were doing a great job on even a very slow sale day. Co-workers always friendly, helpful, polite,almost family like! My most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with such great people! Great people who cared about their jobs and their commitment to helping the customer as a number one priority! Always a great feeling!
Pros
great employees
Cons
no benefits for hourly employess
Hooray, they're out of business
Retail clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 March 2016
training was non-existant
manager was too laid back
shoddy merchandise
when work slowed I was cut down to 4-8 hours a week while others were working 30-40
lazy over-privileged co-workers
minimum wage
glad they're out of business
Pros
paradise if you don't care about quality or hard work or customer satisfaction
Cons
bad training and irresponsible co-workers and management
Excellent co workers
Asst. Manager / Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2016
Worked for XS Cargo, in Warehouse and In-store ( x2)

Everyone was great to work with and goal orientated, customer service was excellent, and treated their employees with respect
Pros
excellent opportunities to improve and advance
Cons
My district Manager at that time, unprofessional
very busy store
Full-time Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 June 2016
shift supervisor did everything that a manager did but without the pay . good job never took a day off
Pros
discounts were very good
Great atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON6 January 2016
Wonderful management, amazing experience, and I quite enjoyed the work. It is a shame the business went under. Not enough hours though and I was constantly being left as the only sales associate on the floor with one manager or supervisor in the back.
Super fun workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 April 2016
The place was a mess, and unorganized for most of the time I was there. The co workers and managers were incredibly supportive though of the mistakes I would make. Eventually I got used to the workplace, which made everything more fun.
Pros
Freedom on break time
Cons
The place is a mess at the end of the day
Small company, feels like working with family, fun and productive
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario6 September 2014
Each week was built on the following schedule as each day was totally different as we build ads, send ads to print and then review ad performance.
Mondays we reviewed ads going to print and performance of past ads,
Tuesday was spent getting ads finalized to go to print and introduce next ad promotions,
Wednesdays were devoted to getting the outgoing ad to print, Thursdays were spent building merchandising plans and communications to stores and starting to build the next set of ads, Friday was used to build and finalize placement of the next set of ads.
Pros
Fun, exciting to watch your vision come to fruition
Cons
High Stress Levels meeting deadlines when working with so many people
half and half
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 April 2013
Half the time I really enjoyed working there and then half the time I didn't. I was there long enough to see 3 different managers come and go, each with their faults and for most part I liked all three.

The company was bought out by the states and so the exchange and refunds policy kept changing so customers would then be angry at me.

Sometimes my co-works would be extremely lazy and all hang out in the managers office.

There was never any change in salary, no matter how well or bad you were doing. the last month i was there, they gave my 75 cent increase to my salary, but also lowered my hours from 35 hrs/wk to 10 hrs/wk. which happened to all employee's that got an increase in pay.

Some of my enjoyable parts was getting to know the returning customers. Nice chatting with them getting to know them, sad when they don't come back, wondering what happened to them.

My work day was always the same 10:00 am-5:00 pm Monday to Friday and it was Wonderful.
Pros
great discount, co-works really nice people, work days always the same
Cons
salary, policies
Longer lunch time if needed without losing hrs.
Key holder, supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 October 2014
Sign into system, count and open cash register. Serve customers as they came to you. When not busy put out stock and cleaned area.
As a key holder and opening in the morning, opened store, counted safe and entered amounts in system. Completed paper work from the night before and placed in appropriate file. Checked email for any information from head office. Took float trays to the cash area, turned on music, TV's and opened store for customers. Put out stock and cleaned store.
Pros
Easy going management, Trust
Cons
Breaks not enough for long shifts.
Productive and great workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 October 2014
Enjoyed my work/life balance
Management team is very professional and understanding
Great dedicated co-workers
Aside from customers who don't agree with no returns, working the cash register at XS Cargo was an enjoyable job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB28 September 2013
A typical day at work consisted of getting side work accomplished while not busy or occupied with a task and interacting with customers and co-workers daily. I am a people person and very easy to get a long with and I tried to maintain the same attitude in my place of work. Management was friendly as were my co-workers.
I learned how to work a cash register and to assemble certain objects for display or set up displays in the store. The hardest part of the job was probably the abuse that employees experience on behalf of customers who do not like the final sale policy for all non-electronic items but I still maintained my positive nature to the best of my abilities.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the repeat customers who would come in and always have something so nice to say when they recognized me as I always made it a point to greet each person who came in as well as tell them to have a nice day as they left the establishment.
Pros
Interaction with others
Cons
Unreasonable customers at times
great roral
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 March 2013
great work environment
great management
poor wages
poor advancements
Pros
preat management
Cons
poor wages, poor advancements
Busy Seasonal Position
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON3 May 2012
A typical day at work is greeting customers and keeping the store cleaned.
I expended on my skills of being able to work in a team with this company.
Management was always fun and smiling, making it enjoyable to work for them.
Hardest part of the job is unloading trucks every week.
The most enjoyable part of this job was great discounts on already reduced products
Pros
company perks
Cons
unloading heavy skids off trucks.
Great workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 March 2013
This was an all around great place to work it is and always will be one of my favourite places I have been employed. Everything was great here management co-workers and the atmosphere. I learned that you may have a customer every day that is having a bad day but it could be one thing you say or do that could tur their day around.
ok to work for we have fun and work still gets done
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  kingston ontaio18 June 2012
serving customers and full filling there needs is what keeps you or the business going.
every day you learn something different, management is ok, co-workers some are wonderful and others need reminded of work.
hardest is upset customers and enforcing policy. the employees and regular customers also making people smile
Pros
the people
Cons
working every night

2.9