XS Cargo Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Stressful work environment
Store Manager (Current Employee), Victoria, BCSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: good concept of business
Cons: bad return/refund policy. no quality control from vendors
XS Cargo is a liquidation company that sells new and refurbished goods. Even though there are great bargains to find (i.e. food, clothing, bedding, furniture, gardening supplies); there are more problems with any electrical refurbished products (appliances, tablets, TV's). This has been an issue for years, where products that we sell don't work and when the customer comes back demanding his/her money back, all we can do is either offer them an exchange for the same product or a credit voucher. We deal with this scenario at least 20 times a day.

This is an "All Sales Final...No Refunds" business which we communicate to all of our customers.

As the store manager, I had to try and diffuse any conflict between the customer and our staff (that are only following company policy on returns). My team understood the daunting tasks that they had to endure and even though frustrating, they all succeeded.

The comradery with the staff and repeat customers was the most enjoyable part of my job.
half and half
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 23, 2013
Pros: great discount, co-works really nice people, work days always the same
Cons: salary, policies
Half the time I really enjoyed working there and then half the time I didn't. I was there long enough to see 3 different managers come and go, each with their faults and for most part I liked all three.

The company was bought out by the states and so the exchange and refunds policy kept changing so customers would then be angry at me.

Sometimes my co-works would be extremely lazy and all hang out in the managers office.

There was never any change in salary, no matter how well or bad you were doing. the last month i was there, they gave my 75 cent increase to my salary, but also lowered my hours from 35 hrs/wk to 10 hrs/wk. which happened to all employee's that got an increase in pay.

Some of my enjoyable parts was getting to know the returning customers. Nice chatting with them getting to know them, sad when they don't come back, wondering what happened to them.

My work day was always the same 10:00 am-5:00 pm Monday to Friday and it was Wonderful.
Aside from customers who don't agree with no returns, working the cash register at XS Cargo was an enjoyable job.
Cashier (Former Employee), Moncton, NBSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: interaction with others
Cons: unreasonable customers at times
A typical day at work consisted of getting side work accomplished while not busy or occupied with a task and interacting with customers and co-workers daily. I am a people person and very easy to get a long with and I tried to maintain the same attitude in my place of work. Management was friendly as were my co-workers.
I learned how to work a cash register and to assemble certain objects for display or set up displays in the store. The hardest part of the job was probably the abuse that employees experience on behalf of customers who do not like the final sale policy for all non-electronic items but I still maintained my positive nature to the best of my abilities.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the repeat customers who would come in and always have something so nice to say when they recognized me as I always made it a point to greet each person who came in as well as tell them to have a nice day as they left the establishment.
was a fun family to work for
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCOctober 20, 2013
Pros: great employees
Cons: no benefits for hourly employess
From start to finish we were always on the go. Formulated a plan of what we were going to do that day, set our goals and pressed on until our tasks were reached. Learned alot from how to balance great customer service skills with great work ethic so things could get completed in a days time and also sales goals could be achieved. Management always lead by example, made you feel you were doing a great job on even a very slow sale day. Co-workers always friendly, helpful, polite,almost family like! My most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with such great people! Great people who cared about their jobs and their commitment to helping the customer as a number one priority! Always a great feeling!
Work History
Sales Associate / Customer Service (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJuly 24, 2012
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: favoritism, hours were cut, no acknowledgement
A typical day at work would include product recovery, customer service and minor improvements to the store's overall appearance.

During my employment at XS Cargo I learned many valuable skills that retail offers.

Primarily, my customer service skills have become excellent as well as my understanding for merchandising.

My co-workers were a great bunch to work with.

The hardest part of the job is multitasking during busy hours on weekends. The environment can become a fast paced environment which requires you to be able to multitask on a large scale.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great co-workers.
Excellent place to begin your working life
Stock member/ Cashier (Current Employee), Cambridge PNOctober 14, 2014
Pros: positivity
Cons: heat
Awesome atmosphere with comfortable and supportive co-workers. Many smiles and many opportunities to expand on product knowledge and to network with other people. From learning how to present stock to operating the cash registers and then being fluent with decisions and ways to sell as time went on. The hardest part of the job was rushing around on busy sale days; very fast paced environment. Best parts were truck mornings having to lift heavy and move quick to unload trucks. This day was never a dull day.
Summary of Events of work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: got along with co-workers
Cons: not enough time to get things done in a well done way-stock, inventory, etc.
I enjoyed getting to know people I work with so when I work with them on the job things can be alot easier and and not a hassle. I learn from customers because working shows how you handle a situation by yourself and taking leadership. The hardest part can be both co-workers and customers because nobody's perfect you can expect them to be they you want them to be. There is always an upside and a downside to customer service which makes another somebody a better person.
Small company, feels like working with family, fun and productive
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntarioSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: fun, exciting to watch your vision come to fruition
Cons: high stress levels meeting deadlines when working with so many people
Each week was built on the following schedule as each day was totally different as we build ads, send ads to print and then review ad performance.
Mondays we reviewed ads going to print and performance of past ads,
Tuesday was spent getting ads finalized to go to print and introduce next ad promotions,
Wednesdays were devoted to getting the outgoing ad to print, Thursdays were spent building merchandising plans and communications to stores and starting to build the next set of ads, Friday was used to build and finalize placement of the next set of ads.
Longer lunch time if needed without losing hrs.
Key holder, supervisor (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 30, 2014
Pros: easy going management, trust
Cons: breaks not enough for long shifts.
Sign into system, count and open cash register. Serve customers as they came to you. When not busy put out stock and cleaned area.
As a key holder and opening in the morning, opened store, counted safe and entered amounts in system. Completed paper work from the night before and placed in appropriate file. Checked email for any information from head office. Took float trays to the cash area, turned on music, TV's and opened store for customers. Put out stock and cleaned store.
Task and Accomplished
Regional Merchandise Manager (Former Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 21, 2013
•Maximized business growth and performance while exceeding targets and deadlines which resulted the most profitable district in Canada by providing coaching and mentoring store managers and colleagues to ensure the corporate plans were executed and operational procedures and standards adhered to

•Coached store managers across Greater Toronto Area to merchandise to new structures

•Communicated with Purchasing department to allocate new merchandise into our 10 stores across GTA

•Developed “Model Store” for all visual merchandising initiatives that were then deployed to all stores company wide
great employees with positive attitudes to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great hours
Cons: limited space
working for Xs cargo has been a big eye opener.. sadly i only had the chance to work for them a little less then 4 months. it was sad to also say that they filled for bankruptcy recently leaving me with no work. it has been a joy ride working for the company, honestly. employees were confused and so were employers. i enjoyed working for the company utilizing my profound skills in communicating with costumers/ guests.
The Policy
Supervisor (Current Employee), kelownaMay 24, 2013
Pros: everything is cheap as is, one benefit of the job is the product gets cheaper.
Cons: dealing with angry customers on a frequent bases.
The product policy for the company generally brings in angry customers when it comes to returns being that you cant obtain a refund, thus customer service isn't exactly the best part of the job.

Depending on whether or not your working with team players and enjoy the people your working with this in my opinion is the only good attribute about the job if it is one.
Busy Seasonal Position
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee), Barrie, ONMay 3, 2012
Pros: company perks
Cons: unloading heavy skids off trucks.
A typical day at work is greeting customers and keeping the store cleaned.
I expended on my skills of being able to work in a team with this company.
Management was always fun and smiling, making it enjoyable to work for them.
Hardest part of the job is unloading trucks every week.
The most enjoyable part of this job was great discounts on already reduced products
Fun and interesting place to work. Taught me a lot about retail and customer service.
Full Time Manager (Former Employee), Kitchener, OnSeptember 17, 2015
Pros: Flexibility in scheduling.
Cons: Shortage of product at times.
At XS Cargo you were a jack of all trades. We did everything Customer Service ,merchandising,inventory,training of staff for current store or other store locations. Educated employees and customers on products. We were a very close staff of employees and everyone helped everyone out.
ok to work for we have fun and work still gets done
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), kingston ontaioJune 18, 2012
Pros: the people
Cons: working every night
serving customers and full filling there needs is what keeps you or the business going.
every day you learn something different, management is ok, co-workers some are wonderful and others need reminded of work.
hardest is upset customers and enforcing policy. the employees and regular customers also making people smile
fast pased very stressful
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: could be fun and the fellow employees
Cons: angry customers, and not recieving the proper stock!!!
The work enviroment was very stressful due to angry customers but the fellow employees made up for that as we all tried to make the best of each situation! we all became one big family in many way at work and outside of work! I still talk to many of my old fellow emplyees!!
Great workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONMarch 4, 2013
This was an all around great place to work it is and always will be one of my favourite places I have been employed. Everything was great here management co-workers and the atmosphere. I learned that you may have a customer every day that is having a bad day but it could be one thing you say or do that could tur their day around.
Fun and diverse work crew.
Employee (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONNovember 11, 2014
Pros: great staff
What I loved most about working at XS Cargo was the people I worked with. I get along with every type of person imaginable. I had old, young, male, female, married and single co-workers to mingle with as we delivered top notch customer service.
Company no longer has holdings
Full-time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Belleville, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: just about everything
Cons: no longer in business
working here was an absolute pleasure. I really enjoyed the positive work environment that was created by the friendly (almost family-like) staff. It is a shame that this company no longer has holdings.
Was a great place to work
Senior Category Manager (Current Employee), Mississauga OntarioSeptember 30, 2014
Unfortunately XS Cargo is in liquidation and will not be around in the next few months. The company was a great place to work when I started but as the transformation moved to corporate we lost our identity as being a closeout retailer.