Xplornet Communications Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Work Place
Network Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodsatock, NBApril 11, 2016
Xplornet is a great place to work. Amazing people and always a learning and encouraging atmosphere. My position requires 12 hours shift, 4 days a week. Not stressful as we are working in a team and your team work skills are proven here.
High Stress Environment
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NBMarch 11, 2016
Fielding calls from dissatisfied customers.
Management is not supportive of their employees.
Management is only concerned about numbers, not resolving their customer's issues.
Co-workers are great, but due to new policies, aren't able to help each other anymore. If employee reaches out to co-worker they fail QA.
Hardest part of job is no support from management and being forced to not tell the whole truth to a customer.
Pros
free food
Cons
no support from management, no tools and high stress
Always something new to learn
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBFebruary 6, 2016
Xplornet was a great company to work for. They always had my back, and always had something new for me to learn. They offer a great benefits package and quarterly bonuses.
Short career for an experienced professional
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NBNovember 14, 2015
I have over 13 years experience in the IT industry with a mountain of experience in disaster recovery, enterprise technologies and application development, operations and support.

Hired on to bring new technologies and techniques into the company. I left a very profitable 9 year position for this opportunity because of the technology opportunities involved. Soon after being hired, they fired my boss, and many others thereafter. Short story, internal politics so another could have the job of which they have not a single IT bone in their body. Leadership is lacking in many areas.

They have the worst culture I've ever been in!

Was let go for the following reason and I quote "you're experience and knowledge supersedes that of this department and we don't want you here!" This all happen right in front of HR who's reply was they have no power over the hiring processes. WHAT! really? First time I've heard that! My former colleagues told me first hand they were told I just left and would no longer be with them. Interesting......no?

Bottom line is, there was jockeying in the background based on social status.

I'm happy to be gone and moved on to the next adventure as I personally don't enjoy having "the tail wag the dog" so to speak. When decisions are made from the rear, it stinks!

*** Disclaimer *** - This post is made from personal experience and no confidential information was release. It's expressed as a Freedom of speech and is in no way trying to derail potential prospects for this company.
Pros
Benefits if you can negotiate them
Cons
Environment and Culture
Workplace can be noisy, share a desk with other employees on different shifts.
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NBOctober 14, 2015
Once you complete your training, you are on the floor taking calls trouble shooting internet connectivity issues, email issues and Xplornet home phone issues.

There is not a lot of down time, so you do not get much time to interact with your co-workers.

Hardest part of the job is how repetitive the customer's issues can be.

The most enjoyable part is
Pros
Occasional free lunches, optional overtime, opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Not very flexible in terms of scheduling.
Great Company - Rough Job
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fredericton Area, NBJuly 6, 2015
TSS is very tough, a lot of angry people and it's very taxing. This was ultimately my reason for leaving. The company itself treated us very well.
Cons
Customers
Produtive place to work and learn technical skills
Present Technical Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NBDecember 29, 2014
At Xplornet Communications I developed the skills to troubleshoot the internet to help people's problems with it. As well developed the skill to fix an issue with computers. Overall this job taught me those skills as well as patience with others and trying to understand what a person needs to receive help.
Pros
good pay
Cons
deal with irrate customers on the phone
If you value yourself, dont apply here!
Subject Matter Expert (Level 2 Technical Support) (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMay 13, 2014
This place was like working in a dungeon. You are not a person- you are a number. If you don't meet their stupid goals, you get a warning. They act like they are your friend when they are only out to spite you.

Management?? There is no "management" just a bunch of people who have the mind set of high school drama students.

And customer's... Don't get me started. Let's just say- they are the slums of Canada. They treat you like garbage because Xplornet treats THEM like garbage and promises them service that they will never deliver.

The whole atmosphere is depressing and you will not advance there unless you are part of the "clique" and good luck with that.

This is me being polite but also looking out for your well being- RUN! RUN FAR AWAY FROM THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!!!

and if you didn't listen to me..... Just you wait and see.
Worst place I've ever worked in my life.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMay 6, 2014
Despite the decent pay checks, this place is absolutely horrible.
The day that we had the major snow storm, my car was stuck in the parking lot, no cab companies were open to drive me home, so I was stuck there until 2am (my shift ended at 7pm) for someone to help push me out. I was an hour late the next day, and got fired for it.
This was my only late occurrence, I had 0 absences, 0 lates, and my phone stats were above average.
I was told that the reason why I was late was not a good reason to miss work. (I was late before I got stuck in my own drive way once I returned home and was up until 6am trying to push my car out of the snow, so I was not fit to go to work at 10am with no sleep).

The management team there is a complete load of bologna. No one knows what they are talking about. If you ask one supervisor a question, they will tell you one thing, and then another supervisor will coach you for doing it that way, stating that it is wrong.

Nobody ever tells you when you are doing a good job, only when you do something wrong. The people who work there don't like their jobs, and the customers hate Xplornet even more, but are trapped with them because there is no other internet provider.

This company does not care about employees, or long term customers.

I do not recommend working here!
Pros
pay
Great pay, Terrible company ethics.
Dual Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMarch 10, 2014
Found that it was fun and really enjoyed working there initially, was promoted several times within several months, however, at that point hit a ceiling as my manager was inaccessible and was never able to discuss the possibility of a plan to move forward at that time. Scheduling is kind of awful, and you learn that you're really just a number to them. Eventually, you get sick of defending their terrible products that they can't even back up. Salary and Benefits are Phenomenal, and I do miss the money, but I sleep better at night not having to con customers into staying with this company and their terrible policies. (IE: If someone's home burns down, we were responsible to tell them they then owed us $500+ for the cost of equipment and $25/month for the remainder of their contracted months.) Not so much fun.
Pros
fun events, great pay, amazing benefits
Cons
terrible schedules, horrible policies, burn out quickly
Stand issue office. Not a whole lot going for it in terms esthetic.
Manager, Marketing (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 23, 2013
I've been with Xplornet long enough to see a few highs, and quite a few lows. There's a lot of potential for the company to do good things, but it's a company attempting to do lots of things before it has the capabilities (infrastructure and resources) to make those things materialize.
Pros
close to a major highway exit making access suitable for those living north and east of toronto, executives are generally well liked, especially the person at the helm
Cons
poor communication across teams, as well as between senior management & the subordinates, management doesn't always have a full grasp of the work being done, valuation of contributions suffer, compensation leaves a lot to be desired
Good place to work!
Bilingual Technical Support Representative Level (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, New-BrunswickMarch 10, 2013
Good place to work, place for advancement, good wages and bonus!
Pros
good wages, bonus
Cons
bad hours
A structured and friendly work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBNovember 5, 2012
A day typically consisted of dealing with customers, their accounts and remotely helping the customers troubleshoot their equipment, followed by writing down a summary of what happened in a ticket. I've learned a lot about how to explain concepts clearly and how to record information whilst multitasking. My co-workers were usually quite friendly and well-mannered, though you don't socialize with them too much outside of breaks. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers since they only called when something went wrong so some of them could be BEYOND unpleasant. The most enjoyable part though? Getting to hear that the customer really appreciated the work you did for them when you actually managed to get a happy customer.
Pros
many minor social events, such as contests and get-togethers during lunch
Cons
terrible hours considering the public transit in the city

2.9