WSP Employee Reviews

WSP was amazing until the MMM collaboration
Landscape Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
WSP and formerly Focus were absolutely amazing, with a family friendly environment and amazing staff!
Once the MMM buyout happened, MMM management took over each department and each department suffered.
The MMM management slowly weeded out those from WSP and Focus that have not left on their own. Most of the highly qualified and highly praised WSP / Focus employees are now gone, hence WSP is trying to rebuild a declining reputation.
Much of the MMM management is dishonest and only look after themselves and the bottom line (something that was never evident in WSP / Focus) without any regard for the people below - the ones that create profit.
It is now a very gloomy and unpredictable environment with most staff (even MMM staff) wondering when their last day will be.
Good luck to all new employees! Hopefully your experience will be great!
Pros
Good location, former Focus/original WSP staff is amazing!!
Cons
Dishonest upper management from MMM side
Racist company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 September 2017
Toxic work environment.
Micromanaging every single detail.
No appreciation for anything you do.
If you are accented, new immigrant or basically not white, do yourself a favor and don't work there.
Pros
Good reputation
Cons
Boring work place
19 October 2017

We apologize your experience working at WSP has not been positive. We appreciate your feedback, as we are committed to creating an inclusive, transparent and collaborative work environment for all employees. Please feel free to speak with a HR professional to address your concerns.

Wsp
Health and Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 March 2017
WSP was newly attained and was a junior employer when being introduced the safety and health in the workplace. They are a proactive and have a energetic workforce that is eager to adopt safety best practices for the future of their safety culture.
20 October 2017

You are right in that we take health and safety culture and practices very seriously at WSP. Thank you very much for the positive review!

Boooooring company
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2016
The company is not welcoming people from different backgrounds.

The size of the company doesn't reflect its limited capacity.
24 October 2017

Thank you for your feedback. Diversity matters at WSP and we are committed to creating an inclusive, transparent and collaborative work environment for all employees. We ask you to speak with an HR professional to address your concerns.

Great Place to work
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ON28 October 2016
Good work environment. Always busy which makes the time pass by fast. Work under pressure most of the time. Very fast-paced environment. Great management.
20 October 2017

Thank you for your comment about working under pressure; we agree that working in professional services is often fast-paced and dynamic. We’re happy to hear that you’re enjoying your work at WSP and that you find our management team “great!”

Great team to work with
WSP - Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 September 2016
I loved working for WSP in Fort McMurray.
My co-workers and management were great. I would still be there if the there was enough work. Due to the economy the hours I was provided with was not enough to pay for the cost of living. I made the hard decision to move back to Ontario.

I learned many skills such as using Leica and Trimble equipment. I was also given the opportunity to further my education and take courses that would expand my knowledge in the Surveying field. My co-workers were very helpful and always willing to answer questions to help me be the best assistant I could be.

The hardest part of the job would be the stresses that would come with the environment as well as the physical demands. 14/7 rotation was also challenging by the 10 day mark.
Pros
salary / benefits
Cons
rotation
24 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review. We are committed to creating a stimulating work environment for all employees, as professional development is an important priority for WSP. We work hard to ensure that our employees not only feel fulfilled but excited about growth. We will relay your comment about the rotation schedule to the appropriate individual on our Geomatics team. We also invite you to explore roles on our Geomatics team in Ontario!

C' est un endroit plaisant et facile a travailler avec un environnement extra
Directeur général (Former Employee) –  Saguenay, QC11 June 2016
Ma journée est semblable tous les jours à la surveillance des travaux,prise de photos et rédaction de rapport. J'aiappris une nouvelle manière de fonctionner, du côté management c'est superbe il y a une belle entente avec tous les patrons et travailleurs au bureau, besoin d'aide ils sont toujours là.L'aspect le plus difficille est de remettre le contracteur sur le bon cheminement de ses travaux et l'aspect le plus agréable est que mon supérieur me donne carte blanche pour m'occuper de mon contrat.
Pros
Logement et Repas fournis ainsi que le millage de mon camion
Cons
Je n'aipas d'assurance collective comme les autres
20 October 2017

Tout d’abord, nous vous remercions d’avoir pris le temps d’écrire une revue détaillée. Nous sommes également ravis de constater que vous avez aimé votre expérience chez WSP. Il est important pour notre compagnie d’offrir un environnement où vous pouvez être autonome tout en étant soutenu par des gestionnaires présents pour vous aider en cas de besoin.

Productive and fun environment
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2016
Lots of talented professionals in this company. I was lucky to work with a knowledgeable team and with senior Engineers that provided me with their mentorship.
20 October 2017

“Lots of talented professionals” – we think so, too. We remain committed to our people and we ensure that mentorship is part of our leadership culture and operations. Thank you for the positive review!

environnement de travail très agréable, plaisant, instructif
Technicien senior en structure, (Former Employee) –  Mont-Tremblant, QC31 May 2016
J'ai travaillé plusieurs années pour Genivar (WSP) dans un esprit de travail professionnelle, de respect.

nous avions toujours de nouveaux contrats remplis de défit, un bel environnement de travail
Pros
le respect des employés
Cons
aucun
20 October 2017

Merci pour vos commentaires. WSP est fière d’offrir un environnement de travail respectueux pour ses employés.

Client base
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2016
I work as Sr. Project Manager in client office TTC and Metrolinx.
WSP recently bought MMM and they have been merged.
MMM was a great company (hours, salary and communication)
Pros
IT Service
Cons
miscommunication
24 October 2017

Thank you for your feedback. During any merger, there is a lot to communicate, and we understand that communication can be further complicated when employees work on a client site. We continue to work on enhancing a culture that reflects our commitment to our people, our clients and the communities we serve. Please feel free to address any issues of miscommunication with your supervisor or an HR professional. We would be delighted to help.

Helping
Health, Safety & Environment Administrator (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON14 April 2016
A wonderful company to that helps you learn and understand as you progress. I enjoy each day that I work here and I am happy to have such great co-workers.
20 October 2017

Employee training and development are cornerstones of our success. We’re glad that your experience working at WSP has been positive!

Very pleased with company
Survey Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB14 March 2016
Typical early mornings. Off by 4 pm. I've been learning a lot of surveying fundamentals. Management is approachable. Co workers are very nice. Hardest part about work is the driving to and from work. Most enjoyable part is being outdoors.
20 October 2017

We’re glad that you’ve been learning lots on the job! Professional development of our employees is an important priority for WSP, and we work hard to ensure that our employees not only feel fulfilled but excited about growth. Thank you for the positive feedback!

It was a positive and fun environment that included team building activities like office mini-golf, air hockey, pingpong, popcorn
Quality Assurance Quality Control / Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2016
Depends on the department, in my case was the QAQC for construction. A typical day of work included calculations of piles, foundations, pedestals, drafting topographic surface, prepared underground scan reports, and various other reports, volume calculations. I learned to use many AutoCAD tools, and improved my knowledge of MS Office, and the various processes of plant site constructions.
The upper level management at WSP are top notch professional people.
The department management is a different story.
My co-workers were just like any other job places...you have all sorts from the brown-nosers, fakes, manipulative, whiny, self-serving, self-promoting, to ambitious young and eager to learn.
The hardest part of the job for me was having to deal with the politics.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the drafting where you just work on the one particular project until it's complete.
Pros
The pay was good including benefits
Cons
If the long hours don't kill you, the office politics will
consulting company
Electrical/ instrumentation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicoutimi, QC7 October 2015
I worked with several simulation software, like: Easypower, EDSA CYME and Scada programming for a wind farm.
I participated in preparing asking for quotation documents, specifications for most big accessories
Some great people!
Project Assistant (Intermediate) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2015
I loved working with the project team. My work was always challenging and my manager treated me with respect. It was nice to be in an office outside downtown.
Wsp is Ok
Technician in civil engineering (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 June 2015
work is fine very challenging
Not well compensated
Directors and higher up doesn't care about employee, very bias.
Department wasn't welcoming and are unprofessional
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2015
I was hired and there wasn't much work to be done, even when I got up and asked senior employees. A very disorganized company, some co-workers had little team work ethics and patience.
Some of the co-workers were awesome I must say.
J'ai adoré travaillé pour eux
Survey Party Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta17 June 2015
Excellente culture d'entreprise, excellente conditions de travail, juste un peu difficile de concilier travail et famille.
good job
Party Chief (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2015
got a lot of good experience, would recommend this job to anybody. hopefully i'll be working here a lot longer.
lots of total station and gps work
Travail sur route
Receveur/Peseur (Current Employee) –  Saint-Romuald, QC20 March 2015
Travail à l'extérieur et sur la route avec différente compagnie d'asphalte.
Travail exécuter pour le ministère des transports
Pros
frais de transport payer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WSP. Our community is ready to answer.