WorleyParsons

WorleyParsons Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Terrible place if you are not in the "click" or related to someone for advancement
office administrator (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONNovember 25, 2015
Pros: Some truly awesome people (perhaps a handful of trusted ones)
Cons: Too many Chiefs, waste of finances, lousy management, too many self absorbed managers
The big problem with this company is a total dishonesty of what you can achieve. If you go over and above your duties they are not recognized, nor do lower positions get the increases they deserve. The Management is totally incompetent in relation to recognizing value personnel, and you are or can be discarded at a moments notice. If you want to get somewhere, don't go here! They seem to only understand their own babble. The reason their size and share prices have gone down is not only the economic situation, they have been overpaying for people in positions they shouldn't be in (and it appears you see relentless weekly emails where someone else has been appointed) in higher positions, and unnecessary travel, expenses etc, the incredible dollar amounts spent on meetings and Townhalls which seldomly produced any further improvement to the people who will be affected, which is the worker bees, due to no one truly speaking their minds, and ridiculous markups on their services. When you have the client telling you to reduce your mark up, looks to me like you may have a problem.

Good Luck!
Poor place to work unless you are part of the Click
pipefitter (Current Employee), Edmonton mod yardNovember 20, 2014
Pros: ok pay rates
Cons: management coked out and think they are doing great
Worley parsons cord mod yard edmonton..
Seem they must actually delete the bad post here..
Let start by the culture.. shut up or your fired ..
need a sick day your fired.. wife in hospital your fired..
Mouse infested lunch rooms. Wash cars toilets stay plugged for weeks.. no cleaning staff what so ever.
No tools to do your job. But don't dear let the Click.. (office staff or foreman's know you feel this way..)
won't spend money on light plants so you work in total darkness for about 3 hours..
it's cold now..oh wait they won't bring in heaters they said they don't want us to be comfortable guys have to go hang out in a bathroom for a warm up break.
Safety is a mythe. .
I'm not just a disgruntled employee. I believe they need a rude awakening. . They will never keep the job manned up.. it will be another spot for TFWs.
Because they will just shut there mouth and be happy to have a job.
I drew the line when I went in to have my coffee break and there was a mouse on my table with feces everywhere..
i can go on all day..
Graduate Junior Process Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton, AB CanadaSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: benefits, diversity, great workplace, proper training, lunch and learns.
Cons: none in my experience
A typical day of work involved performing a variety of engineering duties by applying basic engineering techniques and analysis. I had a team and we all worked for a certain project fulfilling the requirements of the deadline and quality.
I learned how to work with other disciplines, and how to use the database of the Project. I learned to use all the standards and where to find them, also everything related to the engineering calculations..perform hydraulics, size pressure safety valves, etc...
The management was good. They were always looking for our development and assuring all workers had all they need to work. Benefits were fair.
I had great co-workers, we had a really professional atmosphere at the workplace and there was always respect among us.
The hardest part of the job for me was start without having an initial training for a particular task. For example, the first time I had to size a Pressure safety valve, I had to figure it out myself, as there were no trainings at the time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working as a team, as I learned from all my co-workers.
A day at work
Vibroacoustics & Pipeline Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 21, 2015
Pros: work place flexibility (hours), work culture
Cons: not enough experienced workers
- 1 greeting co-workers
- 2 meeting young engineers at there stations or at coffee place (talking casually about problems, resolution, etc.)
-3 starting up computer and checking mail, sorting, answering
-4 taking time to work on assignment
-5 learning new problems or resolutions
-6 brief meeting with young engineers and delegating or asking for a check of work done so far
-7 making sure young engineers understand what they are working on
-8 hardest part is when somebody fails and we need to "fix work" for that person. If hat happens more than a few times a persona must take responsibility and that i the hardest part of my job
-9 enjoying success of my group or personal achievements - the best
Until management gets better leadsership, this is a company to stay away from.
Mechanical Pipe Designer Lead (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: just a job
Cons: lack of leadership, to many inexperience employees, lousy business development team, employee is just a number in the company, workshare program (shipping work over seas)
Since Worelyparsons has taken over Colt Engineering, the work culture of the company has gone down hill. The company insists on creating positions for middle management that does not hold any value for the client. With these overhead costs and current direction, they are pricing themselves out of the Alberta market place. The clients in the industry feel the Worelyparsons is to pricey and do not give good value for the dollar. The company also insists on bringing in employees from the pacific rim with no practical work experience in Alberta which cause significant issues (i.e. design issues and understanding the working climate) in the workplace.
Interesting place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary,ABNovember 22, 2012
Pros: everyother friday off
Cons: slow work enviroment
WorleyParsons was a great opportunity for me. I left a secure career of 14 years for this advanced career opportunity. I had minimal training and was left on my own to learn the operation of my postion. I developed good relations with Venders and Carriers as well as staff on site. I am very good at tracking and ensure deliveries in a timely matter. My role was to produce ship releases to start the shipping flow as well as track shipments from begiining to end. I enjoy the challenge and get great satisfaction when delivery is delivered within the required date. I worked very well with my co workers I pride my strength as a Team Player. The hardest part of the job was when it slowed down, I was used to working in an extremely stressful fast paced enviroment.
Hard working, Team player, pro-active, ambitious
Senior Procurement Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2014
Pros: working in a fast-pased environment - work well under pressure.
Cons: the oil and gas industry is slow right now
Meeting Deadlines before scheduled dates. Working directly with Buyers, Expeditors, Engineers, Clients, Material Control, Cost Control, Project Administration and Project Procurement Managers. Learned to be fast and efficient and accurate in my daily work. Have worked with amazing co-workers - there for each other to get the job done. Always have a smile on my face and tackle problems as they arise to benefit the company. Hardest part of the job - some days, not enough hours to complete tasks, but the job gets done in a mannerly fashion pleasing the Client. The people make my day enjoyable.
Dreaded coming into work everyday and ruined my days off if I ever thought about work
Technical (Former Employee), EdmontonJune 6, 2013
Pros: quitting time
Cons: every minute before quitting time
The overall place to work was ok but my manager was a complete control freak and micro manager who did not trust anyone and kissed butt to anyone higher in the chain of command.
Complained to upper management and HR and nothing was done other than a slap on the wrist.
Would be a good company but does nothing to improve the working environment of the front line workers,so after many solid years of good service decided to walk away as they do not value the people that work for them and cater to the weak minded manipulative managers that blow smoke up their butt!!
Project work diversity
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKApril 5, 2015
Pros: good working and team work environment
Cons: Remote control of project work. Needed more time at sites to be more expedient
Well respected consulting company with expectations of being number 1 in the consulting business. A company that knows the need to provide a viable work environment to all its employees.
I enjoyed the team work that was pervasive and the diversity of the electrical design work that were part of the numerous projects that I was working on during my stay at Worley Parsons.
Leaned Hazardous Area Classification and assessment report development. Learned the inner workings of a first rate consulting firm.
Most of the project work originated at remote sites involving traveling to site for information during project development and execution.
I needed greater duration time on site with clients for the sake of project expedience.
I relished the opportunities of working on a wide range of engineering projects that required the use of my extensive electrical
engineering skills.
Poor management
Senior I&C Engineer (Former Employee), Mississauga-OntarioApril 16, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: poor management, not aware of aspects of big industrial projects.
Working about one year with this company.
Management of company and projects are very poor in dealing with employees and clients.
Can not manage difficult situations; in less than three months company lost two very big projects because of bad resource management. Managers are structure engineers who do not have any clue about mechanical, piping, electrical and instrumentation sections.
While the team in my project could not lift our heads for one second, other team members did not know how to spend their free times.
Company lost good engineers in past one month and only junior engineers stay.
I recommend all candidates review company background before joining.
I recommend all clients not to trap to their name and carefully review their references.
Typical EPC environment subject to cyclical fluctuations.
Procurement Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: Flexible hours and every second Friday off.
Cons: Limited room for advancement. Company does not like to help pay for courses.
Met and worked with a lot of great people here, some of whom will be life-long friends.

Like any EPC company, when there is work the load can be heavy at times. When there is no work, you get laid-off plain and simple.

Getting every second Friday off is a nice touch, allowing you to get those appointments in where necessary, or just enjoying the 3-day weekend.

There really is no "hardest part of the job", you go in, do your job well, complete the projects on time and on budget, and celebrate a job well done!
Its a good place to work have more opportunities for Piping Design Jobs both for Major and Maintenance projects
Piping Designer (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABDecember 7, 2015
Pros: Good People and Lead
Cons: To many management people
Worleyparsons Is a good company, with lots of good and hard working people. Have lots of opportunities to Learn.
Typical Work day is focusing on the task at hand, Design to review and Isometric to produce depending on the schedule.
Learning is continuos process , different design perspective of both the maintenance and operation point of view and safety as well.
Management company wide , there are too many managers, but project wise its good.
Hardest part or challenging part are the different changes in the design which is usually resolve up to the 60% milestone of the project.
Enjoyable part is designing and producing drawings.. and eventually seeing the work that I designed being constructed at field.
Active workplace, fun, some entertainment facilities were offered
Principal Piping Engineer / Lead Piping Engineer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 1, 2014
My typical day work is to distribute the engineering deliverables between the team and I. Follow up the work progress with the team.
Perform the task of some deliverables (pipe / equipment sizing, inputs to PFD's and P & ID's. Piping/Mechanical specifications. Review piping stress reports. Attending the regular daily meeting with higher management.
I learned that the Workshare with other offices to be managed well and more coordination's are required.
The hardest part of the job is the coordination's with the other parties, it should be strengthen by higher management.
I enjoyed a lot in working with Worley Parsons, as they are organized, experienced, manageable, respectable and I get new lovable friends.
Management needs to be revamped!
1st year apprentice pipefitter (Former Employee), Blackfalds, ABJanuary 12, 2016
Pros: Local
Cons: Terrible management
Overall great place to work! Start out with morning stretches etc to limber up and get ready for the day. Learned a lot about pipefitting in general. They preach safety safety safety until it infringes on production then they turn a blind eye then wonder why someone gets hurt. Spend most of the day trying to get the proper tools to do the job on a multi million dollar contract. Would perform daily inspections on equipment and pull out of service due to not passing and then would have nothing to replace it with. Certain bosses have big attitude and need to be knocked down a few pegs.
Good Luck
Environmental Technologist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 17, 2015
Pros: training
Cons: listed above
WorleyParsons unfortunately doesn't care about their junior staff and they are disposable. While working there I heard a number of stories where employees were promised to be able to choose their direction for their career but were really just put into positions that were required to be filled for an "X" amount of time. Upper management are not accountable for their mistakes and are over worked leading to accountability to be passed down to junior staff and poor quality of work.

Try to obtain more experience through smaller offices first before taking entry level jobs with WorleyParsons. You will most likely be expendable.
Productive and professional workplace. Nice co-workers
Lead Electrical Designer (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Flexible work schedule.
Cons: Long hours.
Depending on the bussines unit you will face different kind of work. Personally, I enjoy the Improve units, these offices deal with (mostly) brownfield projects, it is usually interesting because you need to figure it out how to make changes or incorporate systems and equipment into running plants. The not so fun part is to dig for information when documentation is not organized, and drawings/documents need to be updated prior to the design process. It is great to see your design once it is installed and working in the field.
international company
Instrumentation and Control Specialist (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 7, 2014
very good management
very good co-workers
Suncor, Fort McMurray AB, Canada – Fort Hills oil sands project.
- Generating Project Man Hour estimation, project Time schedule, RFQ, Data Sheet, Instrument List, Instrument Drawing and Engineer Work Package.
- Generating and Commenting: P&ID, Mechanical Package, Electrical Package
- Squad checking of interdisciplinary drawings and Liaising with other disciplines.
- Generating RFQs, evaluating vendor quotation and provided TBE and recommendation leading to selection of the vendors.
- Reviewing and developing of DBM, P&IDs and plot plan.
- Generating specifications and datasheets for instrumentation commodities including sizing and selection of various types of flow meters,and transmitters.
- Developing instrument database utilizing Smart Plant Instrumentation.
Worse Culture; Low Management Team, Can't be trustful
Record Management (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaNovember 20, 2014
Manager team in some project lacks of management skills, unprofessional. The career let you not put your any personal advices, the annual reviews for the performances make no senses. although how you are good performed, there are no increases during these years. the expectations they promised to you never come true. No honesty and sincere. Some lead only show a great smile to their senior level manager team. If you have to survive in this work places, you like to play as a monkey, make a big smile, beg and head down every day..
Good Engineering envoiment
Rotational Equipment Specialist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: Hours of work did not affect house hold issues
Cons: Lossing position then loosing my third born son
Nice work load completed at a reasonable rate
I learned that I have the knowledge to propel engineers to an new level and increase there confidence.
good management with very little impact on position.
Great relation with coworkers
Not being able to complete some writing tasks with out sub management over seeing, When you were the specialist of the position.
While in a meeting The solution i provided on a installation set-up for Shell
good company
Senior Civil/Structural Designer (Current Employee), MississaugaMay 4, 2015
► Over 15 years professional experienced civil/structural designer in mine processing and hydrocarbons, industrial, commercial and residential engineering projects.
► Proficient in design software; AutoCAD, AutoPlant, Microstation\Triforma, ProStructures, Civil 3D, Revit, Triforma; Has trained in PDS.
► Knowledge of technical responsibilities of other groups associated with the total design effort.
► Good experience in sitework drawings for the development of mine processing plants, including earthwork drawings, site plans, and access road drawings, which includes the generation of 2D drawings using 3D software.
► Checking and inspection of steel structural shop drawing and fabrication.
► Good working knowledge of application of 2D and 3D CAD tools in development of conceptual designs and production design deliverables of some complexity.
Industry