World Vision International Employee Reviews

World Vision was an average rated organisation and which worked towards Child welfare and in most cases achieved its goals, visions and objectives at
People and Culture Officer (Former Employee) –  Hai Cinema Juba South Sudan.December 10, 2013
My typical day at work began at 8am with previous days reviews,looking at my to do list, if was to start with recruitment, Interviews would be top on the list with my schedule hanging next to me.

I learnt that time management helps sort out alot messes that there could be and help one finish up work in a more professional way, giving credit to you the performer and the Department as a whole.
My coworkers were part of the teams in which i worked with and socially interacted with during times off or break times.

The hardest part of my job was on how to communicate a negative change to a like issuing a Termination letter,downsizing.

I enjoyed Orienting staff into the Organization, explaining Company Policies and handing over an Offer, Contract, JDs to staff this created alot Joy to me.

Overall , Management was a dynamic team to deal with we spoke over issues and made collective decisions that impacted positively to the Organization.
Pros
it was nice working with that particular team.
Cons
administration was wanting as change adoptation was viewed as athreat to the then team leaders.
World Vision International
Programme manager (Former Employee) –  Juba, South SudanMarch 8, 2013
World Vision international is established in South Sudan for years and is implementing many programmes. In January 2010, I joined WV South Sudan as Disaster Preparedness Officer and then have been appointed as Food Security and Nutrition Programme Manager. It should be noted that The Food Security and Nutrition programme was funded by ECHO and included four components(Food Security, Nutrition, Disaster preparedness and Emergency Response). This programme was successfully implemented despite the challenges of getting appropriate and competent staff locally. This has been possible because of team work , the involvement of each stakeholders and the support of the management. In addition to that our focus on capacity building of the community members and local staff has contributed to the achievement of the established objectives according to WV and ECHO guidelines. What is hard in working in South Sudan is the insecurity and the reluctance of certain autorities to allow expatriates to support the programme
Worked in a consortium of six partner organisations, World Vision - lead organisation
Human Resources Manager for Reaching HIV (Former Employee) –  Lusaka,ZambiaApril 7, 2012
My work involved working with RAPIDS program Managers from the consortium partner organisations and assisting them in recruitment, training, orientation of the RAPIDS consortim staff.

Building a strong team with partners organisations was critical for the success of the RAPIDS program.

Great Leadership team that was results orientanted, strict adherence to deadlines as this program had a 5 years life span.

very pleasant co-workers that were supportive and ensured that goals were met in their various departments and partner organisations.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with disciplinary issues across each consortium, each organisation had specific policies.

The most enjoyable part was to see the consortium partners working together towards reaching one common goal of improving the lives of Zambians as regards the fight against HIV/AIDS
Pros
subsidised lunches, family get together meetings
Excellent work environment , good opportunity for personal & professional growth
HR& OD Director -Sudan Program (Former Employee) –  KhartoumAugust 21, 2013
I learnt that in World Vision they care about the staff and how to make the staff more productive.
Management is caring and always ensures that staff are valued and respected
Co-workers have developed a culture of working as a unit, and you find space and you belong.
The hardest part of my job was that it involved taking both the good and the bad decisions to emphasize that this is not necessarily the organization per see, but rather it is the nature of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you see the results of investment in human resources. It shows you that you have added value and gives you pride that you have been able to make a difference

World Vision is such a fantastic organization that I will not mind to return one day when an opportunity arises
Pros
free lunch, on specific days, cafeteria with subsided rates
Cons
short breaks, acceptance of moments for spritual nurturing.
An international org can teach you the different way of Life.
(D). Commodity Tracking System Officer (Former Employee) –  Manshera KPKJuly 25, 2014
Worked with World Vision International in Winterization and Education Projects in the target districts of Kohistan and Mansehra (Seran valley). During the course of implementation, country commodity tracking system (CCTS) and non-food commodity tracking system (NCTS) were successfully utilized to track and documentrelief commodities and maintain data bases according to the organizational requirements.

1.Maintaining database of food and non-food items at using the CCTS and NCTS systems
2.Visiting sub warehouses to inspect food and non-food stocks
3.Daily and monthly reporting on available stocks, dispatches and receiving, losses
4.Training and orienting warehouse staff on commodity management
5.Reconciling stock available at warehouse with CCTS and NCTS records
6.Physical stock counts in main warehouses on monthly basis
Voluminous multi processes. Extensive top down initiatives.
Finance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GPJuly 31, 2013
A typical work day involves adhoc varied requests colored with meetings and subsequent routine work done in late hours either at office or home
I learnt to be multi-tasking and innovative in a highly pressured work environment.
Management delegates and encourages staff to be able manage their time; however, there is lack of support for staff to be able to balance work and life needs.
Co-workers are cooperative and understand the common goals
hardest part of the job pertains to top-down initiatives that are not clearly defined and sometimes not inline with the needs of users.
Financial reporting and management of clear mandated initiatives are the most enjoyable part of my work.
Pros
employee empowerment in terms of work and results
Cons
long hours and multi-deadlines requiring work to be carried home
Worked as an assistant Agric Officer, Agric Offiffer, Project coordinator and all was fun as moving up in an organisation with large number of staff
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  ZimbabweApril 23, 2012
A memorable day was when I worked with the IDPs, was so touching and of value to me as I understood more of the humanitarian aspects. And my days in Sudan where I leant that everybody has his/her rights that need to be valued.Management is exciting when one fits in the culture of the organisation and value everyone around, adhere to the vales and mission of that organisastion.
Co-workers are part of ones; life and for one to enjoy the job has to accept those around him/her. The hardest part of the job is to please everyone as that may not happen. Enjoyable part of the job was achieving results.
Pros
free lunches, transport, housing, medical aid
Cons
need to strenghten the health and benefits schemes
PITCHING IMPACT STORIES, IDEAS AND DEVELOPING MATERIALS FOR PUBLICATIONS
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  LESOTHONovember 17, 2012
MY TYPICAL DAY AT WORK WAS WHEN I ACHIEVE SET GOALS AND MEET THE DEADLINES. I HAVE LEARNED TO BE PROACTIVE AND TO WORK AS A TEAM. I HAVE LEARNED THAT MANAGING IS ALL ABOUT HELPING EACH OTHER ACHIEVE THE BEST RESULTS AND MOTIVATING AND ACKNOWLEDGING WHAT OTHERS HAVE DONE. I HAVE WORKED WITH AN EXCELLENT TEAM, AND THIS HAS HELPED ME ACHIEVE MY SET OBJECTIVES AND GOALS.
THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS WORKING WITH DISHONEST PEOPLE MORE ESPECIALLY ABOUT THEIR JOB. MY MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB WAS MEETING NEW PEOPLE, MEETING NEW CHALLENGES AND ENSURING THAT COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY IS IMPLEMENTED AND ACCEPTED BY ALL THE DEPARTMENTS
Pros
trainings and courses
Cons
working in other african countries
I am a Malawian born citizen, self-driven, confident and result oriented individual. I am a fast learner, hardworking individual who would work well i
Driver (Former Employee) –  LilongweJune 20, 2015
I work form Monday to Friday and in most cases over weekends and public holidays. I learned that in every activity one does mus have dedication. Time management is paramount to success in every business. Work coronation helps easy implementation of the Company aims and objectives.

The hardest part of the job is when you are unable to perform your duties, and make losses for the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is were the Employer pays you well and enjoy all entitlements and benefits and at least works with free mind as long as one abides by the Rules and Regulations of the Employer.
Pros
provide own lunch
Cons
works odd hours
Productive and challenging organization
Aria Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Lower Dir KPK-PakistanJanuary 10, 2015
The organization has a sound financial standing and has deal for the uplift of its employees. The organization conducts its activities in nearly more than 20 sectors. These include the activities both in soft and hard components.
Saturday is the typical day of work a
I have learned more about the financial policies of the organization, how to conduct its finance operation.
Management is very cooperative and committed to problem solving.
I have found my co-workers co-operative during working hours.
The hardest part of the job was the preparation of the areas common cost sharing budget.
The enjoy able part of the job was the training and tour sessions.
Pros
challenging work atmophere
Cons
sound benefit policies

Want to know more about World Vision International?

Ask a question
Christian NGO dedicated to helping children in need by providing food, health and educational aid
Global Digital Asset Manager (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day would involve communicating with team members globally in various time zones. I further enhanced my interpersonal skills by interacting with people in 23 different countries on a daily basis.

The hardest part of the job was aligning 23 offices in different countries to align with one common strategy.

The most enjoyable part of working at World Vision was having the opportunity to apply my subject matter expertise towards achieving a global content management strategy.
Pros
Telecommuting, Interacting with people all over the world
Cons
De-centralized management and culture
Balancing between pressure to meet target and having time to reflect.
Experienced Seasonal Program Accountant (Current Employee) –  NairobiAugust 22, 2014
A typical day at work start with personal devotion and committing all days program and reflecting at the end of the day of the achievement realized and not realized.
I learned listening and reflecting brings the difference.
About management, start with yourself first it will influence how you manage other people or resources.
Co worker, treat them with respect.
Hardest part of the job giving up is giving up when things are not going right.

Most enjoyable part of the job ( Never accept to sit at the comfort zone when you are achieving your target without much effort)
Pros
enjoying your weekend
Cons
little pay
A challenging place
Disaster Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  LilongweJuly 15, 2013
I am a team player, with strong work capacity and able to work with minimal supervision. I have learnt to work in culturally diverse environments in Malawi leading goal oriented multi-tasked teams.

A sphere standards, humanitarian accountability Trainer of Trainers.

I found it very hard recruiting new staff in Malawi, a country with limited commodities knowledge and expertise at a time World Vision had scaled up her relief operations

I enjoyed most building a strong team in commodities over a 5 year period. A green audit rating across the 5 years was the team's price and gift
Pros
diversity in programming
Cons
limited support to personal staff development
Something new everyday
Country Manager (Former Employee) –  West AfricaMay 23, 2014
Push for LC based contracts in India and Far East.

Planning shipment schedules from 8 West African Origins.

Fund management and strategic fund planning.

Reduced and controlled expenses by improving resource allocation.

Manage operations in Senegal, Cape Verde, Guinea Conakry, Sao Tome, Togo, Benin and Mali with FOB based operations in Angola and Guinea Equatorial.

Negotiated rates to cut costs and benefit corporate partnerships.

Developed growth plans by identifying key clients, key targets and priority service lines.

Offered feedback to executive-level management on the effectiveness of strategies, programs and initiatives.
Great and very productive work place
Team Supervisor & Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  BlantyreApril 13, 2013
It was a month long contract where we had to go out in the rural areas and evaluate the impact of the projects World Vision has been undertaking in the areas.

It was a a very nice experience, we worked as a team under the supervision of senior World Vision staff who were serious and organized.

The hardest part was having to work the rural people themselves, most of them would find it hard to respond to our questionnaires.
Pros
we were given free snacks and drinks
Cons
sometimes we would work very long hours since had to make sure that all work has been done correctly, this would take us alot of time
That was my second University
Finance & Administration Manager , Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Ethiopia Country OfficeSeptember 27, 2013
I was started my jobs on Feb 5,2007 .I learned all things regarding to Accounting and Finance from grass-root level to Delegated Finance and Administration Manager. The management follows modern management system .The hardest part of my jobs in World Vision International was field work, that was rural area.The most enjoyable part of the job was life of the worker . All workers were honest and respectful.
Pros
we had free water and coffee in the morning and afternoon.
Cons
life insurance, medical benefit with all family and provident fund
You can contribute with your work to make a change in children life around the world.
Facilitator of Monitoring and Evaluation (Former Employee) –  HondurasMarch 24, 2014
Typical days are always very very busy. You always have the opportunity to learn about different areas because they give you a good trainings very often. Most of the co-workers are always committed to help.
The hardest part is you will have a lot of work to do and be prepare for work under pressure.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to see children smile when they receive the help.
Pros
very responsable organization
Cons
sometimes you work a lot under presure
To contribute ministry quality department in designing, monitoring and evaluation services through conducting operational audits, program evaluation
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  HarareApril 25, 2015
I had an experience where the Regional Director wanted reports for submission before the deadline. Having failed to meet the deadline to submit reports he advised us that if anything is worthy reporting its worth done badly, than failing to meet the reporting deadline. The most enjoyable part was meeting with inter agencies.
Pros
Hospitality budgets provided
Cons
Long hours of work
interesting working here although at times corruption interms of recrutment is a challenge
DISTRICT AGRICULTURE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  zimbabweAugust 30, 2012
you need to work up early at times to run around mobilizing relevant government stakeholders and farmers for trainings and distribution of inputs especially during the farming season. need to work as a team to meet your target. at times management not very supportive in terms of resource provision where you find workers using bikes to cover long distances in adverse weather conditions.
Pros
13th cheque
Cons
short contracts
I have learned and got experience.
Internee (Former Employee) –  Abdara road peshawerOctober 22, 2013
i have great experience working as internee in world vision n.g.o.I have two months experience in this n.g.o.I have very talented Boss.I learned very much from him at that short time.First two weeks are very hard for me because my Boss take me so many work.After i am adjusted and enjoy my job.My co worker are very supportable and polite.This n.g.o management is very impressive and disciplened.
Pros
lunch of my own
Cons
break at 1:00 pm