Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Employee Reviews

There are good and bad!
Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2018
Overall a good place to work but the hierarchy and old processes are frustrating. Good work/life balance and great team spirit. Old fashioned office but great location.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Very hierarchical
Well compensated, great benefits.
Nurse Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 November 2017
It is an excellent, professional environment to work. They will provide great training to do the job for professional growth. Great medical and dental benefits and flexible hours. The salary is good.
Work meaningful but micro managed
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2017
Fast pace work with little support from management - work meaningful but repetitive and same clients come back again and again. I wish this place was unionized!!
Work becomes stagnant and boring over time
Return to Work Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2017
Same type of work; repetitive and becomes boring and management can be very micro managing - there are few good jobs there that are hard to get into because of competition.

The union is good and strong and effective.
Pros
Good benefits and holidays
Cons
Boring
Great team environment!
SERVICE CENTER ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  200 Front Street West8 September 2017
I had a great team of people to work with, each and every day was always a pleasure because of their commitment to providing great service while fostering a positive and encouraging environment.
Pros
Instrinicly satisfying while encouraging growth and promotion
Cons
Workload can become stressful for some
Safe Place to Work
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2017
Unionised environment with quota driven tasks. System at the time was similar to MS DOS and all communication was via fax. Very safe environment with nice office location.
Adjudicator
Adjudicator-ODSBP department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2017
The job of adjudicator at the WSIB can be one that is very complex but at the same time very rewarding. The adjudicator determines a worker's entitlement to benefits under the WSI Act based on legislation, policy and standard practices. Complexity comes into play when entitlement decisions don't fall into standard practices and that there is a lot of reward when adjudicators can provide a positive decision to the client. Adjudicators are rewarded nicely with high salary and benefits. The work environment, in times when there is full compliment, is second to none.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
Can be very stressful when work area is not working at full compliment, making work situations stressful.
Great job difficult workplace, high demands, poor technology.
Adjudicator, Service Delivery (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 May 2017
Great place to work if you can keep up with the demands. Excellent compensation. Undergoing huge transition with technology.
Great people. However training is not keeping up with needs. Will need to continue self learning.
It is great to help people return to their lives after a work place injury.
Broad exposure to projects and diversity
PM, Strategic Planning & Integration (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2017
On daily basis I interacted with a lot of colleagues.
Challenges were very interesting and experience-building
Peers were very helpful.
The hardest part of the job was to get decisions on initiatives, in order to move forward.
Flex time and a good vacation plan was good
Pros
Two breaks, good benefits
Cons
Slow decisions
communication//clients/safety
Customer Service Rep/Bilingual Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2017
very good to work for ,i would of continued but i retired due to travelling and re location of my personal residence.learn a lopt in my 26 years of service, always upgrating and i was always avble to adjust to all changes .
Pros
good team work and security
This employer promotes professional development and allows advancement within the organization.
Director of Collection Services (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 March 2017
I joined the WSIB in 1997 and quickly advanced into Management in 2000. This allowed me the opportunity to work with other areas of the WSIB and promote networking and to gain experience in various project work. In 2008 I became the Assistant Director of the Collections branch and then within a year the Director. I was responsible for a department of 72 staff and a budget of 6.5 million.
Due to an organizational restructure, my position was made redundant in Sept, 2015
Comfy government job
Registration Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2017
This is a place you literally do your work and go home. As long as you do your job no one will bother you.

Absolutely hated my manager but that was a personal issue I had.

If you are looking for a comfy government secure job, this is your home
Productive, fun, fas paced
Account Analyst/Hamilton Office (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 March 2017
Worked in the Employer Service Centre of the WSIB. Its a call centre environment that was fast paced with minimal supervision. Customer Service is the number one priority. WSIB strived for first call resolution. They hire via contract with opportunity to advance.
Pros
Great team of people
Cons
Contract work
Nice Workplace
Pensions Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto28 February 2017
They offer a range of career possibilities where you can maximize your potential and develop your career, all while making a significant contribution to the people of Ontario. Whether you're just starting out or want to build on years of experience, consider joining the WSIB, one of the world's leading workplace compensation boards.
Wonderful people to work with and great changes happening
ACCOUNT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Encourage learning upgrade and growth opportunities. It is an exciting time to be part of this organization so many wonderful changes that make your work meaningful.
Pros
Promote development
Cons
Nothing that I can think of
Work culture not conducive to staff productivity
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto30 January 2017
Upper and lower management morale not conducive to staff equity in work. Enjoy the clients I work with and love the opportunity to provide education to workers to promote health and wellness and improve work safety
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 December 2016
Though I was only there for a 1 year contract, this place is by far the best place I've ever worked at. The pay was great, the hours (9-5) were perfect and the work atmosphere was nice, everyone was very helpful and management are nice people. It's just a shame they mostly hire on contract rather than permanent positions.
Pros
Hours, pay, management is good
Cons
Temporary work
Project Analyst, Business Analytics
Project Analyst, Business Analytics (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2016
Several fast paced projects, great job security, benefits, etc. Culture is definitely laid back, probably too laid back. Nice people but not a lot of higher end mentors.
Productive and fun workplace
Documentation Intake Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 August 2016
A typical day at work would be that I'd be filling in insurance claims so that they are ready to be prepped and ready to be filed. I also would sort out the mailing that the insurance claims are ready to be sent off. What I learnt on the job is how insurance claims are filled and organized. I was only shown once how it was all done and it was easy to be left alone completing the files. My co-workers were great, they were extremely friendly and always came by to see how I was coping and offered help if needed. There is a friendly environment working with other co-workers in the office. When there were times when I would finish a task early, I would ask my co-workers if they needed anything done which I would do for them with no complaints. This I found built up more friendship and trust with my other co-workers. There is nothing I can really say what the hardest part of the job would be because it was all relatively straight forward. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great co-worker. Tasks that were given were fairly straightforward and if I needed help there were numerous co-workers I could ask and they wouldn't have a problem with it.
Pros
great working hours, friendly enviroment
Cons
no cons really to say
Excellent coporate work environment, with many different areas to explore and learn concerning injured worker insurance claims.
Sourcing/Supplier Relationship Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2016
- Very comfortable, relaxed environment with flexible work arrangements, if necessary.
- Numerous opportunities for advancement and education (through lunch and learn sessions, mandated training, skills upgrading sessions, etc.).
- Access to a fully stocked library
- Excellent benefits package, including wellness promotion (work/life balance).
- Understanding, open-minded management willing to listen, learn, and implement employee ideas for productivity improvements.
- Co-workers willing to embrace newer employees with ease in order to lessen their ramp-up time so as to fulfill the team's capabilities.
- I learned quite a bit about the government side of the insurance industry, especially concerning Labour Market Re-entry.
- Hardest part of the job was understanding all the moving parts regarding the life of a claim, and how each area interacts with the others. Understanding the numerous acronyms used was also a daunting task.
- Most enjoyable was the hands off approach afforded each analyst to complete their tasks by due deadlines and the inner satisfaction of assisting others who felt no qualms about asking for help on particular projects, as well as management's willingness to listen and entertain newer ideas.
Pros
Benefits, shorter weeks, Corporate Health, compensation, flexibility, job security
Cons
Impersonal at times, parking, elevator availability at certain times of the day