With a vision to become the leading workplace compensation board, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) provides no-fault insurance and compensation for Ontarians in the event of a workplace injury or illness. We are committed to delivering what matters: fast, accessible service and fair benefits at a fair price.
We’ve recently launched a comprehensive plan for modernizing and revitalizing the WSIB. This is an exciting time for the organization, and we invite you to be a part of it as we work to grow and improve the services we provide.
Recognized as a best-in-class learning organization, we promote professional development and are committed to providing our people with opportunities to lead, learn and grow, ensuring that we’re providing the best possible service to the people of Ontario. We offer a market-competitive total compensation plan and a robust wellness program that promotes a healthy lifestyle as well as work/life balance.
The work we do at the WSIB is meaningful and challenging, and it makes a difference to the people of Ontario. We value integrity, reliability and fairness, and we embrace the diversity of the people we work with and serve.
Systems Engineer, Business Technology Services
One (1) Temporary vacancy, Business Technology Services
The WSIB’s Business Technology Services Division is a key partner in the organization’s strategic transformation initiatives with a focus on modernizing and supporting technology services to help us provide better service to the employers and workers of Ontario.
To help achieve our vision and mandate, we are looking for a result oriented self starter with strong service delivery and infrastructure experience to join the Business Technology Services (BTS) Systems Engineering and Data Center Services department. The Systems Engineer will report to the Manager, Systems Engineering and Data Center Services and will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of stable and efficient infrastructure computing services for internal business users and external clients.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in the planning, coordination and implementation of new technology and infrastructure upgrades for Corporate business projects and internal initiatives
- Analyze and forecast BTS future infrastructure technology direction and capacity needs
- Support the preparation of Terms of Reference(s) and business case(s) for proposed infrastructure projects as well as RFx processes to select quality vendor(s) for providing products and services
- Support the development of long term infrastructure technology and capacity strategy
- Plan and design the architectural model of hardware infrastructure
- Plan and coordinate infrastructure installations/upgrade projects and related activities
- Define and develop a technology roadmap in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders to aid in recovery of critical business functions
- Provide expert advice and direction to BTS Management and support area identifying needs and/or changes to the infrastructure technology that affect system capacity/performance as well as management of system resource issues
- Explore opportunities to enhance/improve the reliability, availability and serviceability of the infrastructure
- Ensure smooth and continuous operation of system performance and availability of the WSIB’s enterprise information technology platforms for internal business users and external clients
PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- University undergraduate Degree with a focus in Computer Science
- Certification in MCSE, Linux, VMWare and AIX Professional. Mainframe experience is preferred but not necessary.
- 6+ years experience in systems engineering or infrastructure
- Experience in server administration, software installation/configuration, storage, network and data management
- Previous experience in capacity planning, service and vendor/supplier management
- Previous facilitation experience
As a precondition of employment, the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board will require a prospective candidate to undergo a security screening check prior to hire.
To apply for this position, please email a resume and covering letter in a single MSWord or PDF document to careers @ wsib.on.ca by January 3, 2014. In the subject line please indicate: Systems Engineer
We appreciate the interest of all candidates, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Workplace Safety & Insurance Board is an equal opportunity employer.