With a vision to become the leading workplace compensation board, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) provides no-fault insurance and compensation for Ontarians in the event of a workplace injury or illness. We are committed to delivering what matters: fast, accessible service and fair benefits at a fair price.
We’ve recently launched a comprehensive plan for modernizing and revitalizing the WSIB. This is an exciting time for the organization, and we invite you to be a part of it as we work to grow and improve the services we provide.
Recognized as a best-in-class learning organization, we promote professional development and are committed to providing our people with opportunities to lead, learn and grow, ensuring that we’re providing the best possible service to the people of Ontario. We offer a market-competitive total compensation plan and a robust wellness program that promotes a healthy lifestyle as well as work/life balance.
The work we do at the WSIB is meaningful and challenging, and it makes a difference to the people of Ontario. We value integrity, reliability and fairness, and we embrace the diversity of the people we work with and serve.
TECHNICAL DESIGNER, COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLIC AFFAIRS
One (1) Permanent vacancy, Digital Communications Branch
The WSIB’s Communications & Public Affairs Division is a key partner in the organization’s strategic transformation initiatives with a focus on designing new solutions with the customer experience in mind.
We are looking for a confident Technical Designer that has expertise in Oracle software application products to join us at this exciting transition and transformation period for the WSIB. As a key member of our newly-formed Digital Communications team, you will be responsible for providing technical expertise, development, design and problem-solving using Oracle. These digital solutions will leverage both your technical knowledge of website and online design with your creativity and flair.
This role is perfect for someone who relishes the chance to take the next step in their career, make a real difference to the branding and reputation of the WSIB and demonstrate excellence in technical design. As the successful candidate, you will be expected to hit the ground running, help educate your colleagues on best practices and solutions to take the WSIB’s digital offerings to the next level and have an entrepreneurial mindset.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Design, develop and administer digital solutions for the WSIB website/intranet while using WSIB Content Management Systems and website design principles. Leverage new and emerging web design best practices and programs (e.g., Flash) and research and recommend new technologies and tools to keep the WSIB at the cutting edge of technical design.
- Read blogs, network and connect online, attend webinars and liaise with peers in the technical design space to constantly educate yourself about new methods, tools and technology that can be recommended to benefit the WSIB digital offerings.
- Analyze, program, implement and administer Oracle software application products, including Oracle Fusion, Oracle E-Business, Hyperion, JD Edwards, PeopleSoft, Primavera, Siebel, or other Oracle application solutions.
- Research, write, edit, develop, design, publish and evaluate online contents/products and business tools such as user guides and web pages, in accordance with accessibility and usability standards.
- Work in HTML to perform graphic design duties requiring planning, scheduling, and implementation of graphic design projects and specialized products such as Annual Report, President's Message, micro sites, etc.
- Define user specifications for prototypes of portlets, templates, determine page content, layout and design to ensure optimal user interface and to identify intended audience and the intent of the publication
- Identify trends, usage patterns on portal usage and provide recommendations to management on process and technical improvements.
- Support the integrity of the WSIB's website/intranet by developing and implementing systems, tools, standards strategies and guidelines, ensuring that best practices are consistently applied through monitoring and quality control of the Content Management System (CMS) during all phases of the content lifecycle
Professional Requirements & Qualifications
- Completion of a university degree with a specialty focus in Oracle Certification along with 3 years’ prior experience in Oracle and web/digital design.
- Strong interpersonal and time-management skills to work with various internal clients on determining digital content for use in marketing materials, training manuals and other mediums.
- Strong analytical skills to assess business requirements, the technology and its restrictions and develop a technically feasible solution for the client.
- Superior verbal communication skills to probe customers to determine needs for digital solutions.
As a precondition of employment, the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board may require a prospective candidate to undergo a criminal records name check prior to or at anytime following hire.
When applying for this position, please email a resume and covering letter in a single MSWord or PDF document by February 20, 2013. Kindly indicate in the subject line Technical Designer, Last Name, First Name.
We appreciate the interest of all candidates, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Workplace Safety & Insurance Board is an equal opportunity employer.