With a vision to become the leading workplace compensation board, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) provides no-fault insurance and compensation for Ontarians in the event of a workplace injury or illness. We are committed to delivering what matters: fast, accessible service and fair benefits at a fair price.
We’ve recently launched a comprehensive plan for modernizing and revitalizing the WSIB. This is an exciting time for the organization, and we invite you to be a part of it as we work to grow and improve the services we provide.
Recognized as a best-in-class learning organization, we promote professional development and are committed to providing our people with opportunities to lead, learn and grow, ensuring that we’re providing the best possible service to the people of Ontario. We offer a market-competitive total compensation plan and a robust wellness program that promotes a healthy lifestyle as well as work/life balance.
The work we do at the WSIB is meaningful and challenging, and it makes a difference to the people of Ontario. We value integrity, reliability and fairness, and we embrace the diversity of the people we work with and serve.
Regional IT Specialist, Business Technology Services Division
One (1) Vacancy, Ottawa - End-user Services
The WSIB’s Business Technology Services Division is a key partner in the organization’s strategic transformation initiatives with a focus on modernizing and supporting technology services to help us provide better service to the employers and workers of Ontario.
We are looking for an IT professional who will consult, develop, plan, implement, support and troubleshoot technology solutions and modifications, for hardware, software, data/voice communications; including moves, adds and changes required by internal clients to support their business needs. Undertake and manage all district and area offices projects filtered through Head Office, by providing specialized technical advice and support, and by interfacing with support vendors. Manage hardware, software, network resources and decisions regarding allocation, placement and updating of floor plans.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Provide onsite support for PC technology, hardware and software, mobility devices, voice communications, faxes, etc. (products vary in each district and area offices) and provide high level support by identifying, troubleshooting & ensuring timely resolution, including ticket status reporting and analysis Deliver local Security Administration (LSA) for the district and area offices.
- Analyze client needs using WSIB standards and knowledge of available hardware and software products, work with business representatives to develop technology specifications, evaluate alternative solutions and recommend appropriate PC technology through the process of:
- Preparing internal proposals, initiating and processing orders
- Interfacing with vendors and managing client expectations on requirements
- Plan and install, PCs, printers, scanners, network equipment, mobile devices by liaising with local management and other branches of Head Office in the planning and co-ordination of all moves, adds and changes (IMACs) by:
- Deciding if appropriate (based on cost & effort required) and accommodate workstation location requests.
- Developing the network plan which includes wiring and terminal address configuration
- Administering the change management process in the district and area offices
- Coordinating the activities of electricians and data/voice cable installers
- Ensuring availability of adequate spare parts and coordinate disposal of retired equipment.
- Provide effective information, advice and training to clients on the operation of new computer equipment and software. Analyze local question and problem trends to determine training and/or documentation requirements and keep local management and BTS departments apprised. Provide 1-on-1 training to users and within a classroom setting.
- Provide 24 hour customer service by responding to calls after hours, interacting with building management as required and assuming ownership of all district and area office projects/installs/resolutions and requests while prioritizing to ensure a corporate wide service level is maintained.
- Responsible for computer hardware, software, data/voice/video communications & servers including the allocation and placement of equipment and the appropriateness of repairing vs. replacing it while ensuring that all IS standards, goals and objectives are adhered to by:
- Ensure the computer/telephone/equipment storage rooms are controlled and maintained in an orderly fashion.
- Managing client profile inventory and floor plans/maps of all equipment to facilitate prompt problem resolution
- Updating changes to hardware, software and data connections listed in the database
- Responding to WSIB requests for inventory and grid locations
- Overseeing the disconnection, moves and reconnections of equipment
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required.
Professional Requirements and Qualifications:
- University completion at undergraduate level with a specialty focus in Computer Science with Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer certification.
- Four (4) years prior experience with setting up and repairing technology equipment, and troubleshooting solutions in a multiple vendor environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to provide advice regarding technical issues, workarounds, software and hardware requests, clarify business requirements and issues, and write technical documentation.
- Demonstrated problem solving and consultative skills to understand client problems and/or business requirements in order to recommend and troubleshoot technology solutions.
- Experience working within a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Must be flexible for occasional travel between regional offices as required.
As a precondition of employment, the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board will require a prospective candidate to undergo a criminal record check prior to hire.
To apply for this position, please email a resume and covering letter in a single MSWord or PDF document by September 13, 2013*. In the subject line please indicate: Regional IT Specialist and the location
We appreciate the interest of all candidates, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Workplace Safety & Insurance Board is an equal opportunity employer.