Woodbine Entertainment Group Employee Reviews

High stress place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Rexdale, ON4 February 2017
I've been there for almost 16 years and only gotten a $1 raise and the prices of living has gone up $100's. it has also lost its Clientele due to poor management and not paying out compared to other casinos. I'm looking to get out of the serving industry and looking to learn something new something more dependable with pay and hours.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay, poor union, poor management
Fast paced environment with potential for growth
Chef (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2017
This is a large fast paced organization that demands productivity and efficiency. There is a great deal of pressure put on middle management to organize and supervise the business.
Pros
Good benefits
Awesome workplace culture
Administration Offices (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON27 October 2016
I love coming into work, there is always something fun and exciting happening around here. My manager is great and gives me the opportunity to take on special projects that allow me to feel like I am a contributor. I really enjoy the people here, everyone says hello in the halls (executives included). Challenges have to do with bringing a company forward in the future with lots of history and tenured employees.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
The property development will take a long time to complete
Work you shift go home.
Line Cook/Buffet Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2017
Shift starts at 4 pm cook A la Carte for casino patrons. After 4 hours Hors D'oeurves for VIP clientele by the 100s added on top of A la carte. break in between and closing duties
Benefits
Cons
NO advancement opportunities.
no hours or sometimes short hours
Teller (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2017
should be equal number of hours among all employees including casual members

a typical day of work- I say no comment. It is because I am not given any schedule. If ever, 4 1/2 or 5 hours minimum, I prefer longer hours and / or double shift

I learned to be patient with difficult customers

management- no comment

co- workers? honestly, many seniors do their betting at work

I feel that as a casual member, there's a some sort of discrimination

hardest part of the job- that you are denied to request for a training especially in the money room.

most enjoyable - customer give you tip
Pros
sometimes overtime
Cons
no hours given.
Worst job in my life
TV crew (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
I worked there at TV department over 10 years.
I had to work early morning, late night including weekend and holiday.
They do not allow union so you can not claim overtime and gas mileage to other location.
Most crew left within 2-3 years or they kick you out with some unreasonable fact.
But high position guys they suck lots of money and benefit because it is non profit company so they have to spend all profit before year.
I regret why I worked there long time.
Never try this stupid company for your life!!!
Pros
Just looks nice
Cons
No overtime pay with weekend and holiday working
Great place to land
Programmer / DB Analyst / SharePoint (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2016
Woodbine was a great place to land. It gave the opportunity to expand my programming skills and hone existing skills.
Great people, management and atmosphere.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Industry is slowing down
Productive and fun place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2016
Woodbine is a great place to work. There's a lot going on at WEG and always something fun. Casino, horseraces are just a couple. The culture at woodbine has changed for the best.
Pros
Great people, good benifits, decent lunches
Cons
Open every day of the year
fun and challenging
Senior Operator / Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2016
bringing horse racing to audience. Live events, able to be shown on network sports channel. Great place to adapt new skills.
Pros
ever changing
Productive and fun workplace + Great work experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2012
You're informed of the daily activities in pre-shift meetings and are required to execute superior customer care, especially on big race days. It's a live sports entertainment environment and fun and enjoyable corporate culture. Learned about event marketing and customer care practices in a variety of situations. Management is exceptional and they care for you like you're family. The co-workers are very helpful and respectful in all types of situations and are a large part to what makes it such a fun and productive place to work. The job can be physically demanding on big races days that are long working hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was working the Queen's Plate and seeing/meeting celebrities or even royalty.
Pros
great work experience
provide positive health experience
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON26 October 2015
Professional provision of treatment( first aid, health programs and counseling), disability case management. Ensure clinic efficiency (equipment and supplies) and timely response to communications electronic, phone and review dates.
Fulfilling with acknowledgement of service from employees, supervisors and service providers received. Assisted clients through difficult health issues, personal crisis and workplace incidents.
Unique working experience as entertainment facility and contact with the horsemen and also special events such as Queen's Plate.
Pros
continuing learning experience with variety of requirements
Cons
validating sevice with management plan
So much Horse play
Dining Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2016
This is not your normal workplace. They take restaruant to a new level. I can say that each day is very different from the last.
very productive and fast pace
Mutual Teller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2014
serviing and selling tickers to customers. learning how to deal with customers, ,Management is good to work for as they listen to what you need. there is a lot of emplyees that your know and don't, and you get to know who there are which is nice. Dealing with irate customers which take it out on you when its not your fault, so the company has taught you how to deal with them. Being at this job taught me how a lot of customers skills which now I can provide with another company that I would work for.
Pros
good benifits and pension plan
Cons
never the same schedule each week
Fast paced action.
Prep Cook/Stand Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2013
Shifts sometimes fly by at Woodbine with a friendly staff and co-operative management helping you to accomplish your daily tasks on a daily basis. Learning to mass produce product in a fast food environment as well as catering to more niche clientele is a skill in it's own. The customers sometimes get riled up over the gambling nature of the business but it isn't unbearable. Good place to work... lack of advancement oppourtunities will eventually steer you away however.
always something new and fun to do at track
Cashier/Teller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2015
I had to count cash at start of the day, set up machines for staff, open safe hand out floats...Turn on channels for the racing. My job was to service the public in a timely manner and be accurate with requests...End of the day balance cash, take all floats from other employees and place into safe in sealed number bag...I was to be prompt, on time and polite to customers at all time.
Pros
free food, good salary, good bosses...and co- workers
Cons
getting to work in rush hour and short notice calls
Fun, exhilrating
Hot walker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2016
Woodbine was one of the best jobs I ever had being outside all the time and enjoying fresh air with one earths most beautiful animals how can you complain.
Pros
boss always took care of us
Cons
waking up 3am
Fun and exciting organization to work for.
Program Composition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rexdale, ON24 July 2013
A fast paced environment with an easy going atmosphere. Built long-lasting relationships with peers and management alike.
Pros
Work day started at 10:00 a.m.
Cons
Some long hours and shift work.
everyone is kind
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  toronto, ontario24 August 2015
Mobile patrols
foot patrols
trespass people
management is reasonable
co-workers are helpful
pay is no good compared to P/T, F/T they receive 19.80
Pros
Management has an open door policy
Cons
no enough shifts
Paddock Attendant (Current Employee) –  Campbellville, ON19 December 2014
I really enjoy working here because theres a lot of really nice people and the pay is good. each day is the same set up but the outcomes are different, you make great relationships with not only the employees but also the customers. there are long hours and its a bit of a drive to get there but its worth it once you are there. i really enjoy the people and the environment
Exciting atmosphere, management has great attitude
Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ont.15 July 2012
Working at Woodbine is a lot of fun, my only complaint would be that personal advancement is difficult unless your good friends with people in high places. Apart from this, it's a great place to work.
Pros
employee cafeteria
Cons
cafe cost comes out of your pay whether you use it or not

2.9