We Never Say No. We Never Give up. We Never Turn Anyone Away.
Wood's Homes is a non-profit, nationally accredited children’s mental health treatment centre, based in Calgary. Our regional programs are located in Canmore, Strathmore, Lethbridge, Fort McMurray and Fort Smith, NWT. We have more than 350 dedicated employees.
Commitment to high-risk adolescents, challenged with some very tough issues, is not easy. These are the times when our frontline workers spring into action. The type of work we do requires quick thinking, confidence, forgiveness and persistence.
We are currently seeking a term Family Support Counsellor I or II for our Stepping Stones Youth Services Program, Fort McMurray. This term is from May 1, 2013 until March 31, 2014. This program is a temporary shelter for homeless young people.
The Family Support Counsellor is responsible for the delivery of family support services to the children and families in the care of Wood’s Homes. This position reports to the Supervisor of the Stepping Stones Youth Program.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Conducting needs assessment to identify individual, social, emotional, behavioral and academic requirements of the child and family.
- Developing treatment goals and case management strategies, in conjunction with program management.
- Liasing between the family, school, community and other professional groups and service providers.
- Advocates for the family and supports the development of a network of resources with the family, community and other professionals. Teaches families how to advocate for themselves.
- Providing training and counseling to children and families to address issues affecting the child’s social/emotional/behavioral/academic progress.
- Participates in weekly supervision, case reviews, clinical rounds and team meetings to ensure effective delivery of Family Support services.
- Travelling within Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo requiring use of own vehicle to meet families in their homes.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION:
- Undergraduate degree in one of the Human Sciences, Child Care or a related field.
- Two to four years experience working with adolescents and families.
- In-home support experience preferred.
- Must have own transportation and be able to work flexible hours.
- Personal suitability is an important consideration.
Wood’s Homes is proud to be awarded one of the 100 Best Places to Work in Canada for 2011 and 2012, as well as one of Canada’s Best Workplaces for Women in 2011. We offer an exceptional benefits package including vision, dental, extended health, a generous Group Registered Pension Plan and a Computer Literacy Incentive Plan.
Please submit a resume to Wood’s Homes – Human Resources Department (Parkdale Campus) via email to our human.resources email address. Please quote competition code ‘FSC –Stepping Stones’ in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please visit us at www.woodshomes.ca for more information about our organization.