Wolseley Employee Reviews in Canada

Horrible company
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 5, 2016
Management is out of touch. Does not care for any employee less then a manager. This company operates like it is in the 70's. Not professional at all. Expects loyalty to be given and never tries to earn it. Regularly dismisses employees without cause if you have an opinion other than management.
Worked in IT department and it is so backwards. Has no vision and management are not professionals.
Review
Inside sales/purchasing (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 4, 2016
No formal training, thrown to the wolves in a sink or swim atmosphere. Was laid off due to lack of work, and months later I see my old position posted. I was promoted quickly, duties and responsibilities grew as my pay was never recalculated to such changes. I worked with one other employee that was not very motivated and the majority of the work fell onto my shoulders and if things got forgotten or went undone I would be to blame, not the guy watching movies and napping all day..... the only reason management got 3 stars is because the manager that is retiring is AMAZING! He was very honest about the short comings of the day to day operations, and he was appreciative of my accomplishments and very fair to sit down and discuss my shortcomings. The manager hired to replace the amazing manager was pompous and very sexist. If the 4 of us would start a conversation, the manager in training would completely ignore all of my input, or become outright rude and belittle me into not being a part of their conversation. The lazy co worker was only kept for the fact he has personal connections to a high priority customer, and that he had been there for almost 5 years. My amazing manager was torn between productive employee and guy with connections, and being there only a few short months I was let go for the off season. No job stability whatsoever. Although I learnt alot of positive skills from this job, I also learnt that working hard got you no where and it was a hard pill to swallow.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
Great manager leaving for retirement
Accountabilty
Customer service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 19, 2016
Nice place to learn about products in Hvac Industry .. Lacking in the team spirit and accounatbilty .Management to busy to care about the base employess , outdated dos computer program
Pros
location
Cons
lack of team Spirirt
Fun and hard working place
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 20, 2016
It was a fast pace environment. everyone respected each other. Had weekly bbqs in the summer. Able to work your way up or change your career choice.
Pros
Cons
Wages are not that great
No comment
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 22, 2015
There were many opportunities to learn about the products they sold and work with knowledgeable co-workers. I worked with the Operations Manager providing backup.
No support/training, Upper management "blames", doesn't solve
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Hinton, ABDecember 18, 2015
I worked at Wolseley Industrial for almost a year. There was almost no training beyond the basic necessities to fill out sales orders. Upper management has all kinds of demands and ultimatums with almost no support or aid in accomplishing those goals. A lot of words with no action and high expectations from "superiors" without anything to base those expectations on.

A poor company to work for and they will not show you any appreciation for any extra effort you put into your job.

The company is loaded with 25+ years employees and room for advancement is basically nothing. Your chances of being fired are better than ever being promoted or getting a raise.

People who ask for raises and fight fot higher wages suddenly do not work for Wolseley anymore.

I do NOT recommend working for Wolseley anywhere in the world because for all their talk about how "our people are our greatest resource", they don't mean the people they hired recently. "Our people" refers to the upper echelon clique that you will most likely never be a part of.
Pros
Steady work, busy environment, high pace, big company that won't run out of money.
Cons
No appreciation, no accountability for upper management, cliquey environment. You are nobody until you've worked there for 20 years.
Wolseley knows how to attract top talent.
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONDecember 3, 2015
However, when you start your new "dream job" at Wolseley you quickly find out that:

- You will have to go back in time and work on systems that are 20 years old and still working because they are "duct taped together"

- The Senior Leadership Team (SLT) is incapable of developing or delivering on a strategy or of meeting their financial targets

- Employee Engagement is poor and attrition at Corporate is exceptionally high

- You were probably considered a high performer in your previous company, yet at Wolseley you will never be able to do anything right. This will erode your sense of self confidence and self worth

- Over time the wind will be sucked out of your sails and just when your level of confidence and worth is at an all time low and you are questioning your capabilities, they will "restructure" once again and your role and you no longer have a place in the company.

Choose wisely
Pros
If you live in Burlington, corporate office is convient
Cons
No vision or visible leadership, benefits are costly and are poor, salaries are low, raises not forthcoming, bonuses rarely achieved, demotivating and demoralizing environment
Average place
Contract Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONAugust 19, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a average-size company.
suuck up managers - expecially purchasing dept...
Procurement Buyer - DC Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONAugust 17, 2015
Archaic legacy systems, extremely poor and unprofessional training, poor coordination, not a whole of transparency in feedback and communication. as you progress you come to know company culture - work more for less and hear big talk from managers! not a good exp. people are working to get by and are on the look out for other prospects... you are expected to hit the results on the afternoon of day 1. employees are generally friendly. management is suck up. medical benefits are co pay. prefers to contract as long as possible to avoid paying benefits etc,
Cons
expected to put in long hours
Review
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 17, 2015
I worked at Wolseley for 1 year covering a maternity contract. I gained a great deal of knowledge working in the HR department.
IT Department is run by a gorilla
it admin (Former Employee) –  burlingtonJanuary 31, 2015
As the title states when I was employed in the IT department We Were 'managed' by a Just Make Work individual. He had a consistent pattern of providing misleading information so you would never meet your revolving targets. He enjoyed bullying and intimidating staff. I heard he got demoted and now the us manages the team. I hope they listen to the employees and take their feedback. I enjoyed working with various teams and would have stayed if the gorilla was removed earlier.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
outdated technology, clueless middle mgmt, corrupt hr team
A very comfortable and educational place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 29, 2015
My typical day started at 7 am till 3 pm.
I was able to learn how to do accounts payable in different areas of the company. Thus learning many aspects of the corporation.

the management was hands on and would help whenever the situation arise, but would let you be on your own when required.

My co-worker were the best. It was a family with everyone looking out for others and offering assistance when required.

I enjoyed my job very much. I was able to work on my own, make some decisions when needed, but asked, when it was out of my spectrum.
Pros
close to home, wonderful co-workers and an overall good place to work
Cons
sometimes overwhelming near year end.
Good Workplace, customer service and knowledge is key!
Driver, and Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONDecember 2, 2014
A typical day at work includes me opening the store at 6am, and serving customers over the phone and walk-ins. This job has required me to expand my knowledge on plumbing supplies, including fixtures, pipes, tools, and other products. Amazing co-workers who are there to assist you if needed. The hardest part of the job would be knowing how to answer the questions I am asked on a daily basis of what I would "recommend" for certain jobs, and situations that may arise when people are looking for supplies. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the customer interaction component, getting to talk to people and interact with plumbers, allowing me to gain new knowledge from them.
bad place to work
warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  calgary abNovember 21, 2014
this is one of the worst place to work dont ever think you will move up in the company the head manager has all his long term friends work there and family who hold all the supervisor and manager rolles who sit in there offices and do nothing yes nothing they intimidate dont let you try and build friendships with other coworkers and build a team atmoshere at all they ride you threaten you with write ups to make you work harder with little pay there thugs and when you work there you will see what i mean stay away from this company
good if u like to work overtime
Fork Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONJune 21, 2014
90% productivity- 10% safety.. good if you need/want money... plenty of overtime
Productive work enviroment
Regional H & S Coordinator, Supervisor, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCFebruary 9, 2013
They are striving to be number one in all of their markets. The company is undergoing a change in the way they do things.
One of the worst I've experienced
Fusion Tech & shipping (Former Employee) –  SaskatchewanJanuary 1, 2013
Wages were well below industry average when compared to accurate data. Employee Benefit pkg was changed occasionally to advantage of employer. Impossible to identify culture/values because what management said was too often at odds w/ what was expected. Too many excellent fellow employees discovered too late how little their contributions were appreciated; job security was non-existent. A Union might have been a good thing here. Most managers had no clue regarding the actual amount of work required to accomplish the goals set. Those that tried to improve such situations were almost always overridden by the more remote (& less capable) upper management. Work/life balance was (mostly) ignored when it suited management short term goals.

At first it was a decent place to work. Wages were OK but not great. Occasionally there were perks such as free meals & paid time off. Company resources (shop, tools, vehicles etc) were reasonably available for employees to borrow/use. Time was allotted (& not infringed upon) for any extra work required (ie: clean up @ end of day). Gradually things changed; wages did not keep up w/ inflation, perks reduced, staff functions drastically cut (most notably Christmas parties) or scheduled during work breaks, resources severely restricted and work demands increasingly unreasonable & without adequate compensation.

Towards the end of my employment a typical day would start as soon as you arrived (even if early) and usually end 5-10 min later than normal work hrs w/ few or no breaks in between. I can count on one hand the # of uninterrupted coffee/lunch
  more... breaks I had during the last yrs. Little of that extra time (before/after & breaks) was compensated for by overtime payment. Of course, if one was minutes late in the AM (or left slightly early) it was a VERY different matter. With few exceptions I can state that my fellow workers were among the best I've experienced anywhere. I will also state that the exceptions were among the worst; one of which was as useful as a screen door in a submarine. Incompetence personified. My most enjoyable moments were when I had done something well, plus the appreciation a lot of customers showed as I served them. It's unfortunate that same appreciation didn't show up on a paystub but no doubt management bonuses were based on profit margins. The hardest thing to do was deal w/ those who didn't know their job or were simply too lazy to do it. To the best of my knowledge they're still there.  less
Pros
early experience good
Cons
as time progressed it was much less a good work environment.
Entreprise de distribution
Comptable/Analyste (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCJanuary 8, 2014
Beaucoup de défis. Relations interpersonnelles avec les gens dans plusieurs domaines.