Wolseley Employee Reviews

Not much hvac, mostly plumbing
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON11 August 2017
Lack of training, you need to belong to the clique with management to get any respect. Managers are like slobs. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. No organization when moving two branches together. It's like backing a dump truck up and dumping everything into a pile. Always taking counter staff from branch and sending them to other branches so that would leave so called flagship branch short staffed. Co workers were good, management terrible, should have been captain of the the Titanic and then they still couldn't sink it properly.
Productive and fast paced environment
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB10 April 2017
This is a good place to gain experience, gain knowledge and apply your skills. Education is available when time permitting which benefits all parties involved. Management can be an obstacle with regards to advancement and ability to relocate is a definite asset.
Pros
Reasonable hours, education programs
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement without relocating
Good hours, job stability
Valve technician (Current Employee) –  Alberta26 March 2017
I approve of the hours and the stability of the company despite the unstable industry. But I disapprove of the pay scaling, and advancement opportunities
Pros
paid day off for your birthday
Do not go there
Branch Buyer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 February 2017
They will use you and through out.
They restructure every 3 years with no reason.
Job in Corporate office is boring and useless.
No one wants any improvement, everybody just sit there to get their salary.
Impossible Quota's
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON21 February 2017
Company sets quota's that are too high to meet. They want you to work as fast as possible and make no mistakes. Logically it is impossible to have both, as the faster you go the more mistakes you will make. If want overtime work it goes by seniority so new employees never get to work when they want. Lots of employee turnover, for every 10 people they hire, only 1 or 2 remain after 3 months. Supervisors are not very friendly, probably because they know they will have to terminate you in a few months.
Pros
Free food once per month, good co-workers
Cons
Lots of employee turnover
Productive environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2017
We volunteered to count inventory. It was fast paced but worth the time spent. It was a long process but once it was complete it was very comforting. The workers were kind and helpful, also easy to work with. The hardest part was keeping track of everything. The most enjoyable part was working as a team.
Pros
Teamwork
Not a good place
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, on10 February 2017
Terrible place to work unless poverty is what you want. Management is terrible to their employees.
I can't honestly think of anything that made working there worthwhile. Oh, except free parking.
Management is rude to all the employees
Pros
It was very productive and hard working
Stock Boy (Former Employee) –  Joliette, QC18 January 2017
They worked hard at wolseley they make you feel welcome and ensure u know what to do and make sure you know the safty regulations
Pros
Some times they would give free stuff or lunches
Cons
I didnt really find much for cons exept for work related accidents
Would not recommend
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2016
Unless you are making money for this company, you do not matter to management. More work given, but no appropriate compensation in return. Not a team environment.
Good options to be a local distributer
Branch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC24 November 2016
Management should be more engaged with employee needs. Good environment and work place that is flexible. Daily tasks are laid out to ensure everyone is aware of duties and responsibilities, Understaffing is an issue in most branches.

Want to know more about Wolseley?

Ask a question
Could use some serious management changes
Warehouse Returns and Warranties (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2016
Worked her for 2 years and a couple of the people are my best friends but the rest of them including all the management are in their own world where they do whatever they want and pick on people till they quit.
terrible place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 August 2016
Pay is terrible. You start at a below average rate, and they promise there is room for growth. Then they start piling more and more work on you, to the point where it is impossible for one person to accomplish. There is never any proper raise or growth in the company. They eventually run you into the ground, while you stay late and do extra work. But never does anyone so much as say thank you. Especially not the managers. The managers think they are better than the rest of the employees and treat them like garbage. You never get a raise, you never move up in the company. If you are trying to be a good employee and stay late or take on that extra workload, they will take full advantage of you and then come to expect it. Stay away from this company.
Pros
most other employees are friendly
Cons
everything
Horrible place to work
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON11 July 2016
What I thought was a good company to work for turned out to be not true. Wolseley is one of the worst companies I have worked for. They asked their employees to jump over the moon without giving them anything in return. Management is not helpful at all and does not give you answers to questions regarding job security. Overall do not work for this company, there are far better options out there.
Pros
Weekends off and vacation
Cons
Everthing
Long Hours, Low Pay
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON3 June 2016
Good place to learn, develop skills... the GET OUT. The company does nothing to retain employees until they are already reviewing a new job offer. Upside is that they are open to giving employees the opportunity to take on new skills/roles. Work week is 45 hours and most of us still stay late because all departments are understaffed.
Pros
Skill development
Cons
Pay, atmosphere
Horrible company
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 May 2016
Management is out of touch. Does not care for any employee less then a manager. This company operates like it is in the 70's. Not professional at all. Expects loyalty to be given and never tries to earn it. Regularly dismisses employees without cause if you have an opinion other than management.
Worked in IT department and it is so backwards. Has no vision and management are not professionals.
Review
Inside sales/purchasing (Former Employee) –  Alberta4 April 2016
No formal training, thrown to the wolves in a sink or swim atmosphere. Was laid off due to lack of work, and months later I see my old position posted. I was promoted quickly, duties and responsibilities grew as my pay was never recalculated to such changes. I worked with one other employee that was not very motivated and the majority of the work fell onto my shoulders and if things got forgotten or went undone I would be to blame, not the guy watching movies and napping all day..... the only reason management got 3 stars is because the manager that is retiring is AMAZING! He was very honest about the short comings of the day to day operations, and he was appreciative of my accomplishments and very fair to sit down and discuss my shortcomings. The manager hired to replace the amazing manager was pompous and very sexist. If the 4 of us would start a conversation, the manager in training would completely ignore all of my input, or become outright rude and belittle me into not being a part of their conversation. The lazy co worker was only kept for the fact he has personal connections to a high priority customer, and that he had been there for almost 5 years. My amazing manager was torn between productive employee and guy with connections, and being there only a few short months I was let go for the off season. No job stability whatsoever. Although I learnt alot of positive skills from this job, I also learnt that working hard got you no where and it was a hard pill to swallow.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
Great manager leaving for retirement
Accountabilty
Customer service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 March 2016
Nice place to learn about products in Hvac Industry .. Lacking in the team spirit and accounatbilty .Management to busy to care about the base employess , outdated dos computer program
Pros
location
Cons
lack of team Spirirt
Fun and hard working place
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 January 2016
It was a fast pace environment. everyone respected each other. Had weekly bbqs in the summer. Able to work your way up or change your career choice.
Pros
Cons
Wages are not that great
No comment
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 December 2015
There were many opportunities to learn about the products they sold and work with knowledgeable co-workers. I worked with the Operations Manager providing backup.
No support/training, Upper management "blames", doesn't solve
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB18 December 2015
I worked at Wolseley Industrial for almost a year. There was almost no training beyond the basic necessities to fill out sales orders. Upper management has all kinds of demands and ultimatums with almost no support or aid in accomplishing those goals. A lot of words with no action and high expectations from "superiors" without anything to base those expectations on.

A poor company to work for and they will not show you any appreciation for any extra effort you put into your job.

The company is loaded with 25+ years employees and room for advancement is basically nothing. Your chances of being fired are better than ever being promoted or getting a raise.

People who ask for raises and fight fot higher wages suddenly do not work for Wolseley anymore.

I do NOT recommend working for Wolseley anywhere in the world because for all their talk about how "our people are our greatest resource", they don't mean the people they hired recently. "Our people" refers to the upper echelon clique that you will most likely never be a part of.
Pros
Steady work, busy environment, high pace, big company that won't run out of money.
Cons
No appreciation, no accountability for upper management, cliquey environment. You are nobody until you've worked there for 20 years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wolseley. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8