Wolseley Employee Reviews

terrible place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 August 2016
Pay is terrible. You start at a below average rate, and they promise there is room for growth. Then they start piling more and more work on you, to the point where it is impossible for one person to accomplish. There is never any proper raise or growth in the company. They eventually run you into the ground, while you stay late and do extra work. But never does anyone so much as say thank you. Especially not the managers. The managers think they are better than the rest of the employees and treat them like garbage. You never get a raise, you never move up in the company. If you are trying to be a good employee and stay late or take on that extra workload, they will take full advantage of you and then come to expect it. Stay away from this company.
Pros
most other employees are friendly
Cons
everything
Horrible place to work
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON11 July 2016
What I thought was a good company to work for turned out to be not true. Wolseley is one of the worst companies I have worked for. They asked their employees to jump over the moon without giving them anything in return. Management is not helpful at all and does not give you answers to questions regarding job security. Overall do not work for this company, there are far better options out there.
Pros
Weekends off and vacation
Cons
Everthing
Could use some serious management changes
Warehouse Returns and Warranties (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 October 2016
Worked her for 2 years and a couple of the people are my best friends but the rest of them including all the management are in their own world where they do whatever they want and pick on people till they quit.
Long Hours, Low Pay
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON3 June 2016
Good place to learn, develop skills... the GET OUT. The company does nothing to retain employees until they are already reviewing a new job offer. Upside is that they are open to giving employees the opportunity to take on new skills/roles. Work week is 45 hours and most of us still stay late because all departments are understaffed.
Pros
Skill development
Cons
Pay, atmosphere
Horrible company
BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 May 2016
Management is out of touch. Does not care for any employee less then a manager. This company operates like it is in the 70's. Not professional at all. Expects loyalty to be given and never tries to earn it. Regularly dismisses employees without cause if you have an opinion other than management.
Worked in IT department and it is so backwards. Has no vision and management are not professionals.
Accountabilty
Customer service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 March 2016
Nice place to learn about products in Hvac Industry .. Lacking in the team spirit and accounatbilty .Management to busy to care about the base employess , outdated dos computer program
Pros
location
Cons
lack of team Spirirt
Fun and hard working place
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 January 2016
It was a fast pace environment. everyone respected each other. Had weekly bbqs in the summer. Able to work your way up or change your career choice.
Pros
Cons
Wages are not that great
suuck up managers - expecially purchasing dept...
Procurement Buyer - DC Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON17 August 2015
Archaic legacy systems, extremely poor and unprofessional training, poor coordination, not a whole of transparency in feedback and communication. as you progress you come to know company culture - work more for less and hear big talk from managers! not a good exp. people are working to get by and are on the look out for other prospects... you are expected to hit the results on the afternoon of day 1. employees are generally friendly. management is suck up. medical benefits are co pay. prefers to contract as long as possible to avoid paying benefits etc,
Cons
expected to put in long hours
No comment
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 December 2015
There were many opportunities to learn about the products they sold and work with knowledgeable co-workers. I worked with the Operations Manager providing backup.
Wolseley knows how to attract top talent.
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON3 December 2015
However, when you start your new "dream job" at Wolseley you quickly find out that:

- You will have to go back in time and work on systems that are 20 years old and still working because they are "duct taped together"

- The Senior Leadership Team (SLT) is incapable of developing or delivering on a strategy or of meeting their financial targets

- Employee Engagement is poor and attrition at Corporate is exceptionally high

- You were probably considered a high performer in your previous company, yet at Wolseley you will never be able to do anything right. This will erode your sense of self confidence and self worth

- Over time the wind will be sucked out of your sails and just when your level of confidence and worth is at an all time low and you are questioning your capabilities, they will "restructure" once again and your role and you no longer have a place in the company.

Choose wisely
Pros
If you live in Burlington, corporate office is convient
Cons
No vision or visible leadership, benefits are costly and are poor, salaries are low, raises not forthcoming, bonuses rarely achieved, demotivating and demoralizing environment
IT Department is run by a gorilla
it admin (Former Employee) –  burlington31 January 2015
As the title states when I was employed in the IT department We Were 'managed' by a Just Make Work individual. He had a consistent pattern of providing misleading information so you would never meet your revolving targets. He enjoyed bullying and intimidating staff. I heard he got demoted and now the us manages the team. I hope they listen to the employees and take their feedback. I enjoyed working with various teams and would have stayed if the gorilla was removed earlier.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
outdated technology, clueless middle mgmt, corrupt hr team
A very comfortable and educational place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2015
My typical day started at 7 am till 3 pm.
I was able to learn how to do accounts payable in different areas of the company. Thus learning many aspects of the corporation.

the management was hands on and would help whenever the situation arise, but would let you be on your own when required.

My co-worker were the best. It was a family with everyone looking out for others and offering assistance when required.

I enjoyed my job very much. I was able to work on my own, make some decisions when needed, but asked, when it was out of my spectrum.
Pros
Close to home, wonderful co-workers and an overall good place to work
Cons
Sometimes overwhelming near year end.
Average place
Contract Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 August 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a average-size company.
Good Workplace, customer service and knowledge is key!
Driver, and Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON2 December 2014
A typical day at work includes me opening the store at 6am, and serving customers over the phone and walk-ins. This job has required me to expand my knowledge on plumbing supplies, including fixtures, pipes, tools, and other products. Amazing co-workers who are there to assist you if needed. The hardest part of the job would be knowing how to answer the questions I am asked on a daily basis of what I would "recommend" for certain jobs, and situations that may arise when people are looking for supplies. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the customer interaction component, getting to talk to people and interact with plumbers, allowing me to gain new knowledge from them.
bad place to work
warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  calgary ab21 November 2014
this is one of the worst place to work dont ever think you will move up in the company the head manager has all his long term friends work there and family who hold all the supervisor and manager rolles who sit in there offices and do nothing yes nothing they intimidate dont let you try and build friendships with other coworkers and build a team atmoshere at all they ride you threaten you with write ups to make you work harder with little pay there thugs and when you work there you will see what i mean stay away from this company
No support/training, Upper management "blames", doesn't solve
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB18 December 2015
I worked at Wolseley Industrial for almost a year. There was almost no training beyond the basic necessities to fill out sales orders. Upper management has all kinds of demands and ultimatums with almost no support or aid in accomplishing those goals. A lot of words with no action and high expectations from "superiors" without anything to base those expectations on.

A poor company to work for and they will not show you any appreciation for any extra effort you put into your job.

The company is loaded with 25+ years employees and room for advancement is basically nothing. Your chances of being fired are better than ever being promoted or getting a raise.

People who ask for raises and fight fot higher wages suddenly do not work for Wolseley anymore.

I do NOT recommend working for Wolseley anywhere in the world because for all their talk about how "our people are our greatest resource", they don't mean the people they hired recently. "Our people" refers to the upper echelon clique that you will most likely never be a part of.
Pros
Steady work, busy environment, high pace, big company that won't run out of money.
Cons
No appreciation, no accountability for upper management, cliquey environment. You are nobody until you've worked there for 20 years.
Review
Inside sales/purchasing (Former Employee) –  Alberta4 April 2016
No formal training, thrown to the wolves in a sink or swim atmosphere. Was laid off due to lack of work, and months later I see my old position posted. I was promoted quickly, duties and responsibilities grew as my pay was never recalculated to such changes. I worked with one other employee that was not very motivated and the majority of the work fell onto my shoulders and if things got forgotten or went undone I would be to blame, not the guy watching movies and napping all day..... the only reason management got 3 stars is because the manager that is retiring is AMAZING! He was very honest about the short comings of the day to day operations, and he was appreciative of my accomplishments and very fair to sit down and discuss my shortcomings. The manager hired to replace the amazing manager was pompous and very sexist. If the 4 of us would start a conversation, the manager in training would completely ignore all of my input, or become outright rude and belittle me into not being a part of their conversation. The lazy co worker was only kept for the fact he has personal connections to a high priority customer, and that he had been there for almost 5 years. My amazing manager was torn between productive employee and guy with connections, and being there only a few short months I was let go for the off season. No job stability whatsoever. Although I learnt alot of positive skills from this job, I also learnt that working hard got you no where and it was a hard pill to swallow.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
Great manager leaving for retirement
Review
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON17 February 2015
I worked at Wolseley for 1 year covering a maternity contract. I gained a great deal of knowledge working in the HR department.
Productive work enviroment
Regional H & S Coordinator, Supervisor, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC9 February 2013
They are striving to be number one in all of their markets. The company is undergoing a change in the way they do things.
good if u like to work overtime
Fork Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON21 June 2014
90% productivity- 10% safety.. good if you need/want money... plenty of overtime

2.7