WIS International

WIS International Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friends don't let friends work at WIS International
Inventory Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 25, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything
I was looking for a part-time job to supplement my 9-to-5 to earn some extra money to pursue some of my outdoor passions. The ad which regaled the masses of tales of flexible working hours while working other jobs seemed very promising - just what I was looking for. Fooled me once, but not again! First let me say that the "interview" is in all actuality a free, unpaid training session of about 6 people. They tell you about the company and the job, train you on how to use the scanning guns, teach you inventory and scanning techniques, and at the end of the session ask if you want the job or not. Can't really get paid for training if you're not an employee yet, right? Training before the hire - that's where they get you. And when you actually get to work your first shifts, everybody is too busy trying to keep their numbers up that they don't take the time to help out the new people on the floor. Working for minimum wage, the shifts are not even worth showing up for. The first couple of shifts vary between 2 to 3 hours. So when you take into account transportation costs (gas, tolls, parking, etc.), it's actually costing you money to work for this company. Totally not worth your time! Now back to the flexible hours part. I was told to indicate my hours on the application form - fair enough. However, when you log into their online system they present you with a variety of shifts even on the days you clearly indicated to them as unavailable. So I asked the supervisor/manager on my shift what to do and she says you only need to mark as confirmed online the jobs that you can attend – more... and not to worry about the ones you can't make. No sweat, I can only make 2 of the 5 shifts they have given me online and I mark them as confirmed and such. The next thing I know, the area manager emails me telling me I have missed my shifts, I am ruining the reputation of WIS International, I have to be a team player if I want to continue to work here, etc. Listen Mr. Area Manager, your bullying tactics don't work on me! Being gainfully employed full-time elsewhere and more educated than 99.9% of your staff, I am not at all intimidated by you. It may work on others who need this job, but not me. Suffice to say, I told that area manager where to stick it. The job itself is easy albeit boring and repetitive. Sometimes you'll have to climb sketchy ladders to reach stock in the warehouses. If you absolutely need the job and can put up with the managers here, go right at it. Otherwise, you are totally better than this job! – less
Wasted My Time
Counter (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: paid travel
Cons: poor management
I had recently worked with WIS in 2011 and was then dismissed from work due after an argument with the supervisor at the time. Come 2014, I would re-apply and be contacted.
Let me explain the situation in 2011. The company had lost it's Kamloopa Area Manager and I believe the Area Manager from Kelowna was filling in while new management was found. With the management issues and the supervisor constantly breathing down my neck because he thought I would be counting faster, I told him to politely back off as I was doing the best I could. Needless to say I was let go that day.
Now that isn't what my complaint is about. I know I stepped a line by standing my ground against someone with higher authority; my complaint stands with the interview I attended this year on January 11th.
I came to the interview well dressed and ready to answer any and all questions the supervisor may have for an ex-employee. I answered them and the conversation went smoothly. However, at the end of the interview (about 15 minutes later), he told me he had heard about my poor reliability. Now thinking back to 2011 I could not recall any time I wasn't at work and the few days I came in late were excused because my reasons were solid. The interviewer told me had he known this before he would not have scheduled an interview.
Of course, I had taken my time getting ready for it, I planned my day out around this interview and it was all for nothing. What I was hearing was "I knew I wasn't going to hire you from the get-go."
So why not call me before hand and tell me such? I have a life. I have bills to pay and – more... to have my time wasted in such a way was insulting. Rather than call before hand and cancel the interview, he went on with it, wasting his and (more importantly) my time. Time I could have used seeking a job where the interviewer was interested in what I had to offer. – less
Better than being unemployed
Inventory Associate (Current Employee), HamiltonNovember 7, 2012
Pros: meet new people, kinda interesting work, career potential
Cons: minimum wage, no work stability, some 10 hour shifts
For a minimum wage job, the actual work itself is not too bad, even enjoyable - way better than sitting at a desk stressed out on the phone.

WIS makes the work challenging with a system for tracking how good you're doing compared to everyone else on the team.

Kinda fun meeting and working with other people. And yes, there is career growth potential. The company basically does everything right in terms of company culture. If you only have high school of less, could be a good company to hitch your wagon to.

But....

The company's operations revolve around inventory gigs. Most clients only get inventory done once every 6 months. So they have no work... you have no work. (For Inventory Associates, anyway.)

After getting hired, I worked 3 days per week for 2 weeks.... then no work for 3 weeks.

They have you sign a document when you get hired that says they don't have to follow standard laws for breaks and overtime, etc.

So they may work you for 10 hours straight, with only a couple 1/2 hour breaks....then give you no work for 3 weeks.

Better than being unemployed.
Joke Job!
Inventory Person (Former Employee), Moncton NBFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: they picked u up at home for out of town
Cons: lack of communication, everything is done by e-mail, never respond to voice mail
Was hired to for WIS Never got the change to work here as they e-mail your schedule. In December 2013 My internet was down so I called WIS and of course voice mail.. They never responded to my call.. I was to work on a Sunday(Had no idea cause of internet) and apparently they came to pick me up. I was up @ 7am they said there were at my house @6:30 Nope they weren't.. They said they called me nope. When my internet was up and running they said they e-mailed me my new schedule and they didn't I would sent e-mails they never would respond I have have a notification that lets me know they looked at it when I called and did talk to some one they denied everything I came in with proof and they were speechless. If you want to work here Good Luck.. I know people that have worked here and they had nothing nice to say... They failed to tell you if your working in town you need to have your own transportation Good luck if you have to be at a store at 6am when there are no buses EXPENSIVE Cab ride When going out of town they pick you up but if your not ready when they arrive at your house they give you 5 minutes and then leave and your docked a days pay and they write you up
Decent job for a 2nd job
Inventory Associate (Current Employee), British ColumbiaFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: never get bored, every shift is different
Cons: part-time is all you will get, will work lots one week but nothing the next
I am lucky to have an amazing manager who started out as an Inventory Associate who really cares about the employees. We have a number of people who have been with WIS for 10+ years in my local office which shows that an amazing manager can make or break this job.
There is a lot of bending and climbing small ladders in this job and your count per hour is everything but you will meet the most facinating people and get to travel within your area. Some days will be harder than others (especially the days where you only get 2-3hrs between different counts) but this is not a job where you will be twiddling your thumbs.
The one big downside I've encountered is that you gets shifts when there are places to inventory and there is only so many places with contracts with the company. So you will get a bunch of counts and then nothing for a while so this job is best as a 2nd job and not as a primary source of income.
My favorite part of the job is how each count is different in its own way and I am never bored. I also am competitive and love to beat my own "time" with each count.
If you like travel than you will like this job
Inventory Clerk/Supervisor (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCOctober 20, 2013
Pros: travel, travel pay and base pay
Cons: no benefits
If you know how to count.. its pretty simple job. Its the travel and constant stareing at objects that can get to you. a typical day at work can be anywhere from two and a half hours long to 17 hours long.. that is including travel time. All sorts of different inventory locations from hardware stores to convenient store locations. I have learned that counting can be alot of fun with the right people around you.. I did it for quite a long period of time and stayed with it because you were at a different location and different kind of count everyday. You get to travel from kamloops up to three hours away and sometime longer outside the area, meet lots of cool people and have alot of fun on road trips. The hardest part of the job would be the wear and tare the travelling can take on your body over time. Also stareing at objects over and over again counting can do a number on your eyes. Most enjoyable part is finishing the large jobs in record times. That was always fun!
Waste of time
Inventory Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioMay 8, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: not getting nearly enough hours, management playing favorites
At WIS, you could be a hard worker and be loyal & dedicated and that still will not be enough. Those that pull no-shows, or "blowing a shift" as they call it, will get lots of hours while you get stuck with little to no hours at all.

Sure, they may be fast at times, but what good is that if they are unreliable.

Then there's the incredibly long shifts and not having adequate time off between shifts. Of course, if you mess up at the next count after not having enough sleep, you get yelled at and possibly written up or "kicked off the floor".

Road trips really suck because you end up spending money you normally wouldn't on overpriced takeout. You will ONLY get a meal allowance if you spend more than one day at a hotel.

Don't waste your time working here, unless you are just doing it to supplement your income.
Do not apply!!!!
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Pros: No pros
Cons: Low Pay-No Hours
waking up early to go to a job thats 2 hrs long. Pointless job. Alot of standing, kneeling, and crouching. Management at the chesswood office suck at their job. When you go for the "interview" be prepared to immediately take the job- there is no questions or anything you just start filling out paperwork and get "training". Supervisors are a joke- they don't train you on your first shift they tell you to do what makes sense. Scheduling is a mess they expect you to finish a job at 1 am and start another at 6am. Alot of work locations are unsafe - working in tight confined areas and standing on shaky ladders. Don't bother applying!
It's a decent job
Inventory Associate (Current Employee), ottawa ONNovember 25, 2013
Pros: you get paid for long travel
They have a lot of hours in the beginning of the year. You count diferent varieties of utilities, clothes groceries. Depending on what kind of store they schedule you. I have learned how the inventory work in diferent companies. How important the stock of their companies is controled. I have learned how they manage to do different store depending on the size of their stock. The co-workers are always friendly to work with everybody. They are always ready to help each others. The hardest part of the job is most of the time the hours. You dont know what time you will be done. The environement is always friendly.They always recognize when you are working hard. You get a reward for your potential.
Horrible Company to work for
Inventory associate (Former Employee), Calgary,ABJune 29, 2015
Pros: The employees were very helpful, they showed me the way on how to do things
Cons: The management (Supervisors and Area manager) were the WORST.
Was working there for a month and got 1 shift for 3 hours and that's it. Area manager never replies to the mail's and the management is the worst. I realized about the working standards of this company in 3 hours. Supervisors were not at all helpful , as it was my first day no training was given apart from the hiring session, where they said in store training would be provided.

Worst place that i have ever worked at.
Not your everyday place.
Training & Skill Development Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: travel and different location all the time
Cons: once you move up severe job loading with no salary increases.
Variety of work location and jobs when working at field operations level.
Management is varied, male dominated and very long hours.

The hardest part of the job is the long hours. You are never sure when you will end an inventory so this not a job for people that don't have flexible home/life time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. It takes a certain type of person to do this type of job!
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 21, 2013
Pros: staff
Cons: unstable hours
I thought that WIS International was a great place to work but the hours werent stable enough for me. we had a start time but no end time so some shifts were only 3 hours and i wasnt sure if i was going to be able to make rent every month. I have a child so that wasnt suitable for me. my coworkers were great to work with and they definately work as a team. my manager was also great and it was easy to work withéfor him. the most enjoyable part of the job for me would definately be the people that I worked with, they made the job fun and enjoyable.
productive
Inventory Associate (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: easy to file off for holiday
Cons: long hours of working and less sleep
* Its easy to do the job, but I couldn't tell the satisfaction cause it is not worth to work for a such hassle tasks and doing it only for 3 to 4 hours less paid but full of stressful and fatigue type of work.
* I've learned how to manage time and work with patience to other.
* Management are untidy, doing scheduling and wrong treatment for the workers, unfair giving of raise and inconsideration for the right of the workers.
* easy to get along with the co-workers
* nothing is enjoyable from the part of my job.
Employee Autonomy
INVENTORY ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 8, 2016
Pros: Short learning curve for scanning wizards
Cons: travel time
We work at our own pace, we learn to count inventory with our eyes instead of hands, the management is fairly nice and easy going. there is a very high turnover rate that you usually do not get a chance to get to know new employees and there are only a handful of old employees. the hardest part of the job is the travel because we work at different stores around the GTA. the most enjoyable part of the job is the short amount of work and the faster everyone does the job, the faster we get to go home.
NO LIFE AND NO SUCH THING AS A TEAM HERE
Inventory Manager (Current Employee), ALBERTA, CANADAOctober 23, 2012
Pros: use of a company vehicle
Cons: a lot
AVERAGE 80 HRS / WEEKLY AS AN INVENTORY MANAGER

IN ORDER TO MOVE UP YOU MUST RELOCATE

24 HRS ON CALL AND NO OT/NIGHT PREMIUM

NO LIFE, YOU NEVER HAVE A SET SCHEDULE WHEN YOU CAN EXPECT TO ARRIVE HOME. YOU BRING YOUR PLANNING AND PAPERWORK AT HOME 90% OF THE TIME

NEVER HAD A REVIEW AFTER WORKING FOR ALMOST A YEAR. NO MENTIONING OF SALARY INCREASE EVEN YOU ARE ONE OF THE TOP PERFORMERS.

PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
I've work in alot of places and this was the worst place I've ever worked
Supervisor (Former Employee), Sudbury OntarioApril 11, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: long hours, no breaks, management is terrible, don't care about anyone
I don't recommend anyone to work here I worked as a supervisor for almost a year and then they laid me off for the winter and never called me back then put I quit on my roe. Worst company ever.work u 18 hours with only one lunch break not paid, this company gives no breaks. I know I was told not to I was a supervisor.upper management don't care for employees. Very low pay......
Not the type of work I'm looking for
Inventory Clerk (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: my co-workers, we get time off around the christmas season
Cons: not a stable source of income (one month we will work every day, the next we will have perhaps four jobs), not paid enough/properly
While I highly enjoy the people at my work, the lack of stability across the board makes it hard to give it any kind of glowing review. I have learned to adjust to working odd hours as well as just learning the basic curve-balls of work environments.
Upgrade inventory skills, New experiences, Understanding new technology
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONNovember 26, 2013
Pros: good humour, provided transportation
Cons: lack of communication, training minimal, disguntle co-employees
WiS was managed by a skeleton crew.

Inventory season started in January and ended in February.

Inventory Clerks were assigned certain section of franchise store { store shelves or stock room }.

Managers instructed Inventory Clerks the type of inventorying requested by franchise store.

Managers were outgoing and friendly.

The hardest part of being a Inventory Clerk was trying to put my best leg in while knowing that my job was a temporary position.
Productive, growing company and a fun place to work
Inventory Associate/Supervisor (Former Employee), Kitchener, ON & Halifax, Nova ScotiaJuly 24, 2013
Ensuring all programs are up-to-date before an inventory count, ensure all equipment are in working order, provide step stools/ladders for use of count, inspect vehicle is safe to drive to inventory count, ensure all employees scheduled for the count have attended.
I established a great relationship with co-workers, data processing using many different types of programs
Management was up and down
Co-workers were fun
Leaving the job to relocate
Most enjoyable were the people I worked with
Not a good place to work
Inventory associate (Current Employee), halifax, NSJuly 21, 2015
Pros: No experience needed
Cons: inconsistent hours
odd work hours
No job stability
Poor scheduling
You're not paid travelling time ( ie meet at the office at 6:15am, travel 2hrs to store location, count for only 2hrs, travel back to office (2hrs). Total time spent, 6 hrs. You only get paid 2hrs for counting.
Management does not care about employees
Feels like slavery
Rarely get breaks
Breaks are not standard.
they schedule you for 6 am, you end up working only 3hrs, but you get back home at 2pm
Headquarters