Winnipeg Regional Health Authority Employee Reviews

The co-workers were great
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 October 2017
Great pay,the benefits were lacking,no sick time and the hours not very good.The hardest part of the job was the early hours you started,most enjoyable was hearing the stories the elderly had to tell.The management was easy enough to get along with,just to many of them.I was surprised how little contact a lot of the elderly have with family and how important it was to them when we came to help them,sometimes being the only person they would see in a day. You have a list of names you see on a daily basis.You are given a certain amount of time to complete your visit with each person;if more time was needed management would be notified and would adjust your schedule.
Pros
could dress casually, no need for a uniform
Cons
split shifts
great pay, good benefits
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 October 2017
A typical day for me would start at 630 am seeing diabetics in the community assisting with taking fasting blood sugars then administering their insulin based on drs orders, them oral meds, or wounds. I was a community nurse in my last position so I would go to each clients homes and do nursing duties bases on each clients individual needs, I had to make decisions on my own for the most part using my nursing education and experience but when give a situation that I was unsure of I would contact my nursing resource coordinator or the clients physician for their assistance. I would have to say the most difficult part of my job was at times time management as with ill clients one never knows the state you might find someone in so that might take more time. We were allotted a certain amount of time for each visit so if something was wrong and we needed to spend for example twice the amount of time it would affect the next client and so on. In this case if it became unmanageable we could call our supervisor for some help from other nurses as patient safety is always our number 1 priority. I loved my job, I loved the people, I loved helping people. One day was almost never the same as the day before. It was a great place to work
Pros
self directed, great pay
Cons
long hours, working weekend, stat holidays
Very hard mentally and emotionally
Parent Educator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 September 2017
Superiors make it very difficult to feel good about your job and effort. Lack of compassion on difficulties to deal with. Constant training with an attitude that workers are incapable.
Pros
opportunities for personal growth.
Cons
Superiors lack any compassion.
Overall great job and staff but not enough nurses
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 September 2017
Overall, this job is great! The staff are wonderful and helpful, however the patient to nurse ratios are so unsafe and sometimes changes that are implemented by management are relatively insignificant and attention is not paid to other details
A place where you can build a career
Financial Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Churchill, MB4 August 2017
A fun and intuitive place. I find my co workers supportive and willing to share information. Corporate finance office is the best place to work. Your month end task can be challenging, but with a friendly team and managers, you can breeze through it.
Pros
3 weeks vacation, work life balance
different culture than outside of health care
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 June 2017
It is a difficult place to work in but a great potential for improvement and give a person a chance to shine when improvements are made
and the improvements show a significant result that is measurable and contributes to the welfare of the patients
supportive workplace
Home Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 June 2017
Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, has been a great opportunity for me as a staff because I am learning a lot here and feel supported when I have questions.
supportive working environment
Home Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 May 2017
Supportive, working environment. Management encourages independence. Flexible working hours. Reasonable pay, union benefits. Excellent training for every employ.
Its all ways busy there also.
Driver (Former Employee) –  wpg mb4 May 2017
It s very busy there also. They train their staff if required. Very good management people. You need lots of knowledge at your job. I like the work atmosphere. This was another place where I learned new things To carry with me in my personal and work life. Thank you.
Pros
Good working staff.
Cons
Not many hours. Casual.
excellent work environment and good workplace
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 April 2017
Typical day start with an early morning providing residents with activities of daily living such as grooming and feeding. I have learned to manage my time effectively and efficiently. Hardest part of the job is when the family is trying to make you do duties that are out of my scope of practice
Pros
work independently
No more place/area to grow..
Home Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 April 2017
When I start working with them a few years back, working is fun and you can only talk to one person(supervisor), but things change now. Too many scheduling clerk filling up your schedules and they give you too much work from clients to clients without giving you enough time to travel. They do not even consider your opinions.
Pros
No comment
Cons
Long hours, heavy workload and no paid breaks.
Busy, Learning, and a really fun workplace to work.
Internship-Primary Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2017
I had the internship here at ACCESS, Fort Garry, and working here is very good. I learnt a lot from here. People here are very nice and they are very helpful.
Pros
Long lunch break
Cons
Sometime I feel it very busy
Health Care Aide in Home Care
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 January 2017
A typical day of work would be driving to a first client's home and completing the tasks requested of me on my schedule in the time given. The driving time is included in the task time. This makes caring for the client and their needs very difficult without rushing them. Then it's off to the next client and their specific needs.

As a Health care provider I need to report different things that occur during my day and are given a number to call which is our scheduling unit. They are not very available to us. We always are put on hold. This makes us very frustrated and possibly late or very likely inaccurate with the information as the time passes.

Some clients either cancel or become ill and go into hospital or pass away. In those cases they fill those spots with other clients or patients from another Health Care Aides schedule who has called in sick or are on holidays. This makes it difficult for clients to trust and become comfortable with new workers.

Overall I do what I do because I love helping people who need assistance. It's selfishly rewarding to me!
Pros
helping people
Cons
crazy scheduling and management
Good Benefits
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2017
Working at Winnipeg Regional Health Authority was the most challenging of all the job I've experienced, dealing with different kind of patient their needs, attitudes and priorities.
Cons
I worked alone and went into the community to serve my patients
Home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 December 2016
Go to get my client ready for te day . Give a bath and assist with getting dressed .Some clients needed assist with cooking or and medications
Pros
Clients were very nice to work with
Cons
Sometimes it would not be fulltime work
Easy but Monotonous work.
Laundry aide II (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB29 June 2016
Easy work but it is repetitious. Standing in one spot for extended periods of time. Possibility of hazardous waste in the soiled area, and linen dust in the clean area.
Pros
Summertime Bar-B-Qs. Fun lunch period
Cons
Long standing in one spot. Noisy around the machines.
Excellent employer with an interest in their employees as well as a genuine positive regard for the patients and clients whom they care for.
Manager, Crisis Response Services (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2016
Excellent benefits. Caring and compassionate employees who have a genuine positive regard for the people they care for. Opportunity for transferring within the Authority.
Good place to work at
HOUSE SUPPORT WORKER (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 March 2016
My typical day working as a house support work is interacting with clients, cleaning bathroom and kitchen, vacuuming, dusting, doing laundry.

The most enjoyable part of it is visiting people who live alone and keeping them company, while doing my work.

The hardest part of the job is when you've been working with a client for a long time and they pass away.

Management isn't always the best at calling the workers to notify them about clients who have canceled or giving important information about a client.
Pros
Not always in the same place, Time flys by
Cons
Unorganized management, Don't always call you back, Don't give important information
need for flexability and readiness to accomidate immediate change
Social Work/Clinic Liaison (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 January 2016
Variety of during the work day, resources available for consultation, supervision available, adequate work space , however no job security
Very multicultural and generous
Health Care Aide (Nursing Assistant) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 December 2015
Winnipeg Regional Health Authority offers health services for family in needs.
One example I worked for was Home Care, I would travel from house to house taking care of patients, elderly, who aren't able to take care of themselves, and would have no one there to look out for them for the time being.
Winnipeg Regional Health Authority doesn't discriminate on the type of client that is asking for help. It meets the clients needs and necessities, such as if the client was not very fluent in english, they would offer a worker who is fluent to speak in their language. WRHA doesn't discriminate against sexuality as well, but if the client perfers to have someone with the same gender, WHRA is more than willing to offer a worker for them.
Pros
Health Benifits
Cons
Some positions require a lot of gas usage