Winnipeg Humane Society Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Most depressing work environment I've ever experienced
Animal Care (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2017
The volunteers are great!

Most of the staff act like children and all of the management act like gossipy little school girls. Never get thanked for a good job. They make up excuses to euthanize animals just to unburden themselves. I loved being able to rehabilitate animals but because of how this place is run you'll end up worn down and hating the place. Most of the "lifers" there are so worn down they just turn a blind eye to and don't care how poorly the place is run and turn their backs on all of the non-aggressive dogs that are put down for aggression.
Pros
Working with Animals
Cons
It is a horrible horrible place, and the staff all hate it
Jerks
Emergency Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2017
I worked as an emergency call taker and it was a temporary position. The girls I worked with, with the exception of 1, were absolutely terrible. They were snobby and really hateful. Not friendly at all. The manager of this department is also just as terrible. I no longer support the humane society because of this. And they don't care about the animals there at all. The volunteers do but the people who work there are really heartless.
Pros
Seeing the animals on a daily basis
Cons
The work environment
great volunteer experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 September 2017
The Winnipeg Humane society is a great place to volunteer as they train you well for the challenges in the job, their schedule is flexible, the environment is great. I would recomende it any day!
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Far from where I live
Would not recommend
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 August 2017
The culture of the place is very negative. I love the work they do and most of the staff is great, but management is terrible. If you love animals then volunteer! Working here will wear you down and make you hate the place.
Pros
animal cuddles
Cons
low salary, poor management
very good
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 March 2017
I'm not a paid employee but have been satisfied with my time at the Humane Society. It's well organized and the people are friendly.
I like animals, which is why I go there. But the other volunteers and staff have also made it an enjoyable experience.
i love working with cats
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 September 2016
cats i love i want to take the pain away and find good homes to all of them. i hug them i want to take them all home they are all sad.if we can take the pain away. the hardest part of my job is not to hug them and hold them. we are supposed to cuddle the cats they do not.
Nice place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 August 2016
The WHS is a very good place to work if you strive to help animals. You can learn a lot about them, the volunteers are nice. Sometimes you can get too attached to one of the animals, every day is different.
Pros
Work with animals
Administrative
Administration (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 April 2016
A typical day commences with general office duties followed by supporting the CEO and Managers of all depts.
All levels of staff are very cooperative - we are there for the animals.
The hardest part of the job is not being able to take all the animals home! The most enjoyable part is the reward of finding forever homes for our furry family members!
Pros
Animal Companionship
Cons
Animal Tears
Excellent volunteer experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 October 2014
My position as a Scanner, is basically to assist with scanning of donation records for the electronic archives.
What I learn from this position is not only classify archives but get along with people and work in a team.
Co-workers are really kind to give a hand.
The most enjoyable part is to work along with such great people, everyone wants to give back to our society.