Williams Fresh Café Employee Reviews

Difficult
Cafe barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2018
I didn't feel heard as an employee and a one point, I didn't even feel wanted. Bosses were rude, opinionated and disrespectful towards all employees except their favourites. Other employees acted as if they were better than you because they were there longer.
Good for experience, that's about it
DWBI (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2018
Williams is a relatively easy job to do. Not much is required of each individual but between management and other choice workers, it is sometimes tiring and tedious. on a day-to-day basis, things are usually pretty care free and simple but on it feels like the full-time employees are doing 90% of the work that the store requires while the higher ups don't get involved except to take the credit. Whether it be keeping customers happy, delivering catering orders or making the schedule, most of the management responsibilities have trickled down to the regular employees. Would recommend if you don't have much experience and are looking for a short and painless job but would not recommend sticking around for longer than necessary.
Pros
Light workload, friendly environment
Cons
Expected to do more so that others can do less
No manager and owner with no experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON3 January 2018
Loved my Supervisor position until the Manager left and the Owner took over. The owner has no restaurant experience and the atmosphere and conditions deteriorated within weeks. This caused many staff members to seek out new positions with other companies.
Fun and Friendly
Cashier/Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 November 2017
The place is a very fun and up lifting place to work. There is a lot of accomadations for anything that you desire. There is room to move up in the company which is excellent. Management is very personable and accooidating.
good atmosphere
Cook (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 October 2017
good atmosphere, happy employees. hours not always the best but managable. simple duties like cleannig adn cooking as well as prepping food for cooking.
Fun, but awful people to work with
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON21 August 2017
If you're below 18, I would not recommend working here. They even said they love people below 18 because they can treat them like robots. Horrible management and dirty restaurant. Team members are friendly. Horrible food quality and 90% of tips go to management. Only 10% discount on food and drinks, while managers get 50% and a free meal a month. Unfair treatment, I would recommend you run the other way.
Pros
Fun and fast paced
Cons
Dead-end and unfair treatment
Good environment and friendly staff.
Line Cook/ Customer Service/ Barista (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON14 August 2017
Taking this job gave me an opportunity to learn how to work fast in the kitchen, and at the barista station during peak hours. Made positive interactions with staff and customers during serving. The hours are good, just hard to get full-time work at this location. The best part of the job is the staff, and the positive environment.
Pros
Given opportunities to learn different positions
Cons
10% Staff Discount
safe and fun place to work
Cashier and Cook (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 July 2017
Friendly and flexible management, This was my first job, Great place to start and get valuable experience in the food and service industry. Most of the time fast of the time it was busy environment
Pros
Friendly management and staff
Cons
Lack of hours
High turn around
Kitchen Prep/ Barista (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 July 2017
In the past year, not one person I worked with still has a job there. Management was not aware of the Employment Standards Act. You're expected to cover your shifts, and if someone calls in sick.
Pros
Free iced coffee
Cons
Little to no breaks, booking time off doesn't matter, schedule comes out randomly
Unfortunately not the best work environment
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 July 2017
While I am sure that at most William locations are probably much more clean and nice, mine was not. The women there fought quite and I did not feel comfort going into work. Working in the kitchen was very hazardous, none of the staff received any type of safety training, so unfortunately my time there was not the best.
Pros
50% off meals
Cons
co-workers spoke behind your back, boss spoke behind your back, dirty, no whmis or safety training
excellent experience
Cashier/Cook/Barista (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 June 2017
Williams fresh cafe offers multiple points to improve not only your resume but your social and leadership skills as well
it is a group oriented setting in which employees must thrive in, it is needed to have trust and faith in your coworkers to get through hectic rushes.
oly employees will truly understand the experience gained.
Fast Paced Cafe but with a Relaxed dine experience
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 June 2017
A typical day at work consists balancing the safe and tills and creating a deployment chart for the night shift or day shift depending on what time you arrive. Following that, we take a walk through dining and manage the dish area while the next worker arrives at their designated time. In the meantime I survey the entire store, follow up on all the staff and the customer's experiences. Throughout the night I manage the flow of the store, set up breaks for staff and end my night off by balancing the safe and tills once more, counting each one and following up with the close or duties of each of the staff members. At Williams I learned quite a bit, the fast paced environment of the restaurant really helps to improve speed and how you work under pressure. I've learned to manage responsibility really well by being professional but also keep a good rapport with both my staff and customers. The biggest thing during a shift is to maintain team work, the entire staff has to work as a well oiled machine to ensure that orders come in and go out successfully, everyone needs to help each other. The hardest part of the job is the constant pressure to not fail. As a shift manager there is humongous pressure to make sure everything works out properly, everyone is comfortable and the food and drinks are coming out properly. You are managing the happiness of the staff, the customers, and the over all appearance and opinion of the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is the rewarding feeling you receive after a job well done, the staff and the attitude really helps the job become easier.  more... With how much you rely on each other at work, you become a family and want to help each other more to ensure a smooth shift. The friendly atmosphere and the feeling of a satisfied customer are my favourite parts.  less
Pros
Discount, Staff, Frequent Shifts, Always something to do
Cons
Lack of positive reinforcement, understaffed sometimes
Step Up from fast food industry
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON24 May 2017
Enjoyed my time working here, didn't have very much opportunity for advancement. In general the food and service is great, could use some organization in a few aspects though.
Great to place to start off your career in the culinary industry
Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 May 2017
Great to place to start off your career in the culinary industry.
Hands on learning on workplace and food safety.
One can expect to learn how to handle pressure and deadlines.
Loved the job, however difficult to stay
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Brantford20 April 2017
Working at William's was a really great experience; it was hard work during peak hours, but fellow co-workers were always supportive and motivating of each other. Regular customers knew us all by name, greeted us, and took the time to ask us how OUR day was going. My co-workers and I frequently got together outside of work hours, and have still maintained a friendship a year after most of us left. Overall, the atmosphere was one that you really look for when working in a cafe-style environment. With this, however, management was lacking. The managers themselves were fantastic, but the new owners cut costs wherever possible, which usually meant in full-time employees' hours (reason I left: started with 45+ hours a week, left when only given 10/week). The owners were not involved with the day-to-day workings of the cafe and managed in a way that wasn't necessarily the easiest to cope with. Saying this, I did enjoy my time there, it was just difficult to find reasons to stay after several months.
Pros
Awesome work environment
Cons
Owners and hours
Best Employment Experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 April 2017
WillIams Fresh Cafe was a great place of employment.
The staff were all professional, positive and upbeat. I was with the store from the first day the doors opened, until it unfortunately closed down a few years later.
The customers and cafe environment was always bright, even on the busiest of shifts it was well balanced with exceptional management and understanding by staff, management and customers alike.
I was a day cashier / server and thoroughly enjoyed the position. I enjoyed serving my regulars and my dining room responsibilities which included sweeping & mopping of floors, dusting of fixtures, bathroom cleaning and windows. As well as assisting with stocking new food orders, making coffee's and working the barista station.
Team work, and a positive attitude was consistent here.
Pros
great staff, excellent management, superb customers
Cons
the unfortunate closing in 2011
fun staff
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON6 February 2017
A typical day included prepping and working as a team to complete the list for the day. Truly loved the staff that I worked with. I learned a lot about working with new people and working quickly to get a job done.
All of the staff was very wonderful.
Hardest part of the job would be getting everything done within the time frame, working long hours and not getting recognition for your efforts which made the work environment negative. The most enjoyable part was working with people who became long term friends.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
long hours, negative attitude
Server/Drive Thru Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 January 2017
Very busy but well organized. Great co-workers and the management was friendly and accommodating.

Prep food, made coffee, cleaning work areas, washed dishes.
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
early hours 6am starts
Could use a better customer service system
Supervisor and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 January 2017
Williams was an amazing place to work as I made many friends there whom I still keep in touch with but their customer serving system could use improvement. The long waits, angry customers, and frustrated employees could cause shifts to be rather long and tiresome. I feel that the company asks the employees to spread themselves too thin. Essentially, it comes down to management and whether the manager of each location is willing to advocate for their employees and find them the assistance and tools they need to complete their job. I hope that Williams is able to hone its customer/employee interaction system to everyone's satisfaction.
good place
Kitchen personal, Front Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 August 2016
i worked in williams fresh cafe in university/regina

co-workers are really nice and helpful

my work position was in kitchen,

i worked full time and over time