Williams-Sonoma, Inc.

Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive workplace with opportunity to advance
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, OntAugust 12, 2014
Pros: great discount as full time employee. many opportunities to advance
Work with a great team and worked with product I loved and believed in
Toy store for culinary enthusiasts
Associate Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2014
Pros: develop cooking skills and share your own
Cons: gaining weight
Fast paced environment with emphasis on engaging with the customer at many sensory levels. Steep learning curve to become familiar with the myriad of product but a strong focus on associate development. Good work ethic and enthusiasm is recognized and rewarded. Cooking or foodie background is a huge asset and makes customer interaction much more fun – more... - selling a great product AND helping to make someone a great cook...or at least spark a new passion. – less
Welcoming workplace with polite employees
Seasonal Gift Wrapper (Former Employee), Yorkdale MallSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: friendly workplace, small store
Cons: certain item shapes were difficult to wrap
The other employees greeted me with a smile and were very polite, welcoming me into their work family the first day I started.
The management was efficient and did very well at their job.
My co-workers were very professional and had warm personalities towards everyone.
The hardest part was standing for long periods but after awhile you do not notice – more... it. Certain items proved difficult to wrap but fellow co-workers were there with a helping hand.
The atmosphere of the workplace was the most enjoyable part. Also when the customers would get their wrapped gifts with smiles on their faces, commenting on the nice work. – less
Good company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2013
Great company, great products. Corporate culture is good. will take some time to get promoted.
If you are Canadian and want to join a cult then work for WS
General Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: good salary
Cons: too many to list
I have been a retail manager for years and had only worked for Canadian companies until I joined WS and had the worst experience of my life. My first experience was at the conference in Arizona and I left there feeling like I had joined some crazy cult. The employees at my store were for the most part horrible people who believed they were of the same – more... economic status of the customers, where my opinion is that it doesn't matter what kind of retail environment you work in you are still just a retail employee. They reminded me of the two women in Pretty woman who ended up getting schooled by Julia Roberts. The company likes to say that they have a people first culture which is a total lie. Staff members had won prizes for corporate contests and yet had not received them six months later. Work life balance is terrible and my DM had no clue what she was doing. My training was about 4 days of being a greeter at a store and getting a bunch of information crammed in my head and then told....go, cut staff hours but still make these ludicrous budgets. also if you don't work in the States don't expect to make any sense of the visual set up packages or actually get any of your benefits.Enjoy conference calls?, well you had better because you will be on them for hours every day. Hands down the worst experience of my life. – less
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 22, 2014
Williams-Sonoma is a very success company that treats all their employees with respect. They care about each customer. The most enjoyable part of my eday is knowing that I made all the customers happy and I did my very best. The hardest part would be working the long hours. My co-workers are hard working individuals taht also have the work goals that – more... I have. – less
Friendly and Hardworking
Sales/Telephone Catalog Support (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CANovember 18, 2014
were the most common phrases hear thought out my 2 week long training class i assumed this job was a good and easy going job and had a efficient structure and i was correct
Good environment, able to work from home, advanced easily, updating skills is ongoing
Currently Furniture Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 17, 2014
Pros: ongoing training, easy to move to new departments, great retail discount.
Cons: compensation low, hard to take advantage of pto & vacation.
When working from the contact center, a typical day consisted of taking incoming calls regarding customer furniture orders. Checking order status, sending to scheduling, resolving issues with delayed deliveries, material damage or defects, issuing replacements and compensation within company guidelines. Now I work from home, it is the same process but – more... with out physically going to the office.

Enjoy speaking and interacting with customers as well as retail associates and management. Co-workers are wonderful and we work well together as a team.

I've learned a lot about home furnishings as well as decorator items.
There is always something new to learn which is great as it keeps me on my toes and lets me share that information to customers or other associates.

The hardest part is dealing with insufficient information via the company website or internal departments then trying to make it coherent to the customer. Such as why items still not shipped or material/delivery delays. Having to wait 24-48 hrs or longer to get a reply from an internal department is a bit frustrating and of course trying to give the customer the best service with incomplete information is challenging.

Love to help customers with their orders, to share my knowledge about the products, sister companies and introduce customers to new products. Of course, working with my fellow associates and assisting new furniture associates how to find information as well as tips on handling escalated customers during their live training.

Overall, this is a good company but compensation is low. – less
It could be better
Stock Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Rolling Hills Estates, CANovember 5, 2014
Pros: getting free samples of food, some short work days
Cons: retail work, pay, on-call shifts
A typical day at work is to clock in and process any unfinished items/boxes that hasn't been stocked on the shelves. Then the UPS guy comes and unloads the shipment for the day. We have to scan in every box that came in and put the the items on the shelves of the stockroom (which is usually 40 or more boxes per day). There is either one or two stockers.

The – more... hardest part of the job is having to run the stock room alone and having to find room for each item because the stock room is full. Though the stock room is full, it is also hard to find items too.

The most most enjoyable part of the job is that stocking is pretty chill. – less
Customer Service
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 1, 2014
Pros: occasional gifts, entry level positions, seasonal ability to move departments
Cons: less than effective leadership
A stressful working environment with very high expectations, with little assistance to obtain needed tools to maintain service levels. Management seems less will address issues before service levels drop, and more on stressful clean up after services levels have severely impacted the consumer and external partners.

Support from co-workers is very high – more... and positive encouragement and knowledge sharing is experienced on a daily basis. When work levels rise, the team is willing to work together to get things completed in a timely manner, as long as management does not thwart the effort.

The most difficult part of the job is not having all tools necessary to get the job done available to the associate, and having some individuals in leadership unwilling to assist with those tools.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to bring customer concerns to a positive resolution, the level of non-leadership support that can be found among the internal and external partner associates, which includes creating business and personal friendships. Those friendships promoted a more positive working environment, a stronger ability to communicate effectively and resolve issues quickly to the satisfaction of all. – less
Nice place to work
Editor/Order Processor (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVOctober 27, 2014
Great employer to work for. Excellent team. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a satisfied customer.
non-stop workplace with the opportunity to win prizes.
Furniture Service Associate (Former Employee), Las VegasOctober 24, 2014
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work included tending to my customers and making sure all of their needs were met with their previous purchases. A big part of that job was to stay in touch with customers just on the off chance something went wrong with their order.
My co-workers were amazing by helping one another get through tough customer service issues where we – more... are trying to give the customer the best end result.
The hardest part of the job was knowing that it's impossible to make everyone happy.
Solving issues for customers that have been wrongly informed and unhappy was the best part of the job. – less
Productive and fun place to work while satisfying clients with the highest quality products
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Troy, MIOctober 23, 2014
Pros: great employee discount, flexible hours
Cons: great employee discount, beware of spending your whole paycheck!
Wonderful company to work for, flexible hours, good pay, great employee discount and just plain fun. Also having great confidence in the products you are selling to your customers.
Poor top down management.
General Manager/ Human Resource Manager (Former Employee), Farmington, CTOctober 21, 2014
Too heavy work and micro-management with very little resources. Store management finds themselves working in more a key holder or lead cashier role due lack of resources.
Seasonal, at Christmas
Inventory Prepper (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 10, 2014
Team player, enjoyed work. Seasonal, prepping Christmas stockings, festive atmosphere.
Rich culture and heritage, incredible product lines, well-positioned for growth
Corporate Associate (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: heritage, culture, creativity, employee discount
Cons: micromanagement by senior executives, tends to be very clique-ish
Williams-Sonoma, Inc. has a rich heritage dating back to 1956 when Chuck Williams opened the first store in Sonoma. The portfolio of Brands is unrivaled in retail. Creativity and entrepreneurship are highly valued.
great learning experiance and fun working environment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Walnut, CAOctober 8, 2014
Pros: great people, very good learning environment
Cons: poor communication at times between leads, no stability with productivity, team work lacked at times
great place to work. people get along well and are willing to help you learn more and lend a helping hand. Safety is their number one priority.
Solid, growing company
Inventory Staff Accountant (Current Employee), Olive Branch, MSOctober 8, 2014
Williams Sonoma is large enough to have plenty of opportunities, but since the headquarters and the other corporate offices are not located in the same place, the disconnect can really create a strain on your job. The benefits are very good, and the best part about the job is the people you work with.
stock person
Stock Room Coordinator (Former Employee), Miami, FLOctober 8, 2014
Pros: places to eat in the area
Cons: not enough breaks
learning about new kitchen tools and supplies. when everything gets checked in, it gets boring in the back so I go out front to help the customers.
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: look forward to kickoff of the holiday season each year and the chance to talk to the vendors
Cons: work with old computer systems
A typical day at Williams-Sonoma customer calling to place order or needed customer service help. I learned how to provide excellent customer service and to solve customer problems. Williams-Sonoma taught me a lot of valuable information about business and how to service the customer.

The hardest part of the job would be when I was not able to help – more... the customer, because of policy.

I enjoyed when we had vendor training and kickoff of the holiday season. Kickoff is a day filled with sampling of different foods and products. We have a chance to ask the vendor question about the products which helped us when a customer asked about the product. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Williams-Sonoma, Inc.

Epicureans are at home at Williams-Sonoma, a leading multi-channel retailer of high-end goods for well-appointed kitchens, bedrooms, – Read more