Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Don't work here is you live in Canada
Management (Former Employee) –  CanadaFebruary 16, 2016
Overall, this was the worst work experience of my life. This is an environment that will suck your soul out. It starts off with training. You will never recieve any proper full training; I was given several reasons for this. It's either not in the budget to send trainers or proper support. Or, the 3 hours (total) of product knowledge training, till training and operations training will suffice you to run a store. Upper management is a whole seperate issue; expect to be treated with a complete lack of respect and have them constantly belittle you.

This is a company that offers a lot of promises, but does not deliver. Avoid working for them. You will regret it
Pros
A good salary (only if you are management)
Cons
Terrible support, zero training, terrible management. Expect to be a slave to your job and recieve nothing back.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 1, 2015
the most enjoyable part of the job is you can meet different people from multi-background in a single day. I am a person who like to coordinate with a diverse population. As a cashier, I meet every buyer during my shifts which provides me the opportunity to talk to them. The working environment is great and co-workers are nice.
Toy store for culinary enthusiasts
Associate Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 7, 2014
Fast paced environment with emphasis on engaging with the customer at many sensory levels. Steep learning curve to become familiar with the myriad of product but a strong focus on associate development. Good work ethic and enthusiasm is recognized and rewarded. Cooking or foodie background is a huge asset and makes customer interaction much more fun - selling a great product AND helping to make someone a great cook...or at least spark a new passion.
Pros
develop cooking skills and share your own
Cons
gaining weight
Welcoming workplace with polite employees
Seasonal Gift Wrapper (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale MallSeptember 18, 2013
The other employees greeted me with a smile and were very polite, welcoming me into their work family the first day I started.
The management was efficient and did very well at their job.
My co-workers were very professional and had warm personalities towards everyone.
The hardest part was standing for long periods but after awhile you do not notice it. Certain items proved difficult to wrap but fellow co-workers were there with a helping hand.
The atmosphere of the workplace was the most enjoyable part. Also when the customers would get their wrapped gifts with smiles on their faces, commenting on the nice work.
Pros
friendly workplace, small store
Cons
certain item shapes were difficult to wrap
Good company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2013
Great company, great products. Corporate culture is good. will take some time to get promoted.
If you are Canadian and want to join a cult then work for WS
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioFebruary 13, 2013
I have been a retail manager for years and had only worked for Canadian companies until I joined WS and had the worst experience of my life. My first experience was at the conference in Arizona and I left there feeling like I had joined some crazy cult. The employees at my store were for the most part horrible people who believed they were of the same economic status of the customers, where my opinion is that it doesn't matter what kind of retail environment you work in you are still just a retail employee. They reminded me of the two women in Pretty woman who ended up getting schooled by Julia Roberts. The company likes to say that they have a people first culture which is a total lie. Staff members had won prizes for corporate contests and yet had not received them six months later. Work life balance is terrible and my DM had no clue what she was doing. My training was about 4 days of being a greeter at a store and getting a bunch of information crammed in my head and then told....go, cut staff hours but still make these ludicrous budgets. also if you don't work in the States don't expect to make any sense of the visual set up packages or actually get any of your benefits.Enjoy conference calls?, well you had better because you will be on them for hours every day. Hands down the worst experience of my life.
Pros
good salary
Cons
too many to list