Willbros Canada

Willbros Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Document Controller (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 20, 2015
Since I started working here I have met some pretty awesome people. The people here have become like a second family to me.
Good work and fantastic crews
Welder Helper/Labourer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2015
I really enjoyed the environment that I worked in and I learned a lot of useful skills. My foremans and general foreman cared about their crews and tried to accommodate us as much as they could. All and all, it is a really great company.
normal pipeline job
Labourer / Safety (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 20, 2015
Hard work in all weather with different levels of training. Working to get a tough job done as a crew safely. Working with a veriaty of personalitys
Good Company
QC Electrical Lead (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2015
Fair company, good work atmosphere and a good group of guys to work with. Company Benefits, Safety Orientated and family balanced
Not good place to work
Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 12, 2015
they have big problem in management, organizing and communication with the workers.Each ppl they hired they told them the project just for 3 months then when we started working they said it will be last after month so they got laid off 40 ppl some of them they didnt complete 1 week.I didn't feel comfortable in morning meeting cuz the lunch trail is very small to fit almost 100 electricians. They pay good wage but still need more time to solve the mentioned problems and to develop themselves
horrible and toxic work environment
electrician (Former Employee), fort macMarch 11, 2015
Pros: getting laid off from willbros
Cons: you're working for willbros
The bad attitude starts at the very top with the electrical division of this gong show. First day there the project manager comes in yelling and cursing out the entire staff, this was a trend as his brother (a super) days later came in cursing and screaming about parts being left in trucks and this being the reason there are no materials to work with, nothing to do with the ineptitude of management naturally.

We were hired and told there would be 6-8 weeks work, got one turnaround and they laid off 54 people (including people who started a week after us who didn't even get a full turnaround). We were blatantly lied to about the length of time we were going to be there as it turned out they just needed to burn man hours. When lay off day came people were literally crossing their fingers to be on the list. General consensus was that the overwhelming majority would NEVER work for this company again.

Bottom line, no respect whatsoever for the employees and horrible management. If you get a call from this crowd for work do yourself a favour and don't pick up the phone.

On a side note the travel coordinator Cindy seems to be the only one who cares at all about the workers and works her butt off to manage more people than she should ever have to by herself.
Gained Experience in Field Services
Document Control and Site Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: every other fridays off
Cons: management
Typical day of work was very productive and busy. Balancing time sensitive items, emergency requests and basic doc control duties. Worked in a small office within a large company.
Mismanagement, no aknowldgment f of good work from manager
Safety lead and manager (Former Employee), Suncor siteDecember 16, 2014
always busy
How to focus on your duties in spite mismanagement
Poor
generally good,
dealing with workers who have connection with the manager
Always lot do, and salary on time
planner and scheduler
FACILITIES PLANNER AND SCHEDULER (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 12, 2014
great company to work. All co-workers are very cooperative, excellent team players and all are hard workers
Boys club
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee), Fort mcMurrayOctober 29, 2014
Pros: pays well enough if you get loa otherwise they're just as low rent as all the others
Cons: crews and supervision are all stoners-quality of work bears this out.
Has the potential to be a great company; sadly this won't ever happen. Dreadful safety culture. Poor management structure-Friends getting friends jobs-foremen and general foremen are clueless and run from one catastrophe to another. Weed and strippers seem to be much more of a priority than providing a good product for the client.
Camp Work
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2014
I like camp work when it comes down saving money and eating good food.
Disfunctional, political, Unsupportive second line management
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), VariousJune 1, 2014
Pros: competitive salery
Cons: too many professional risks.
If you are a professional, the risk thresthold is just too high. Second line and higher management demostrates little or no understanding of front line management responsibilies to (i.e.Safety & OH&S act/regulations, direct field and indirct labour supervision).

Co-workers were on a siding scale of behavior based on time in with the company. The longer they survive the worse team and general attitude becomes. Apparently, you have to have values polarized from the written ones to succeed.

Hardest part of the job; interference from unaccountable upper management. Help seamed to be never intended.

Enjoyable part was moving on to a higher career because of the experience.
depending on mood
Foreman-Ground Disturbance Coordinator (Current Employee), edmontonMay 23, 2014
Pros: could be fun
Cons: all good
it was fun while it last each on it own, depending on which crew you work with
Not good place to work with
Project Control Specialist (Current Employee), Fort McMurrey, ABMarch 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: bad management
Management is bad, not organized company, every one works on his own without specific rules.
Good place for exposure to different weld defects
Site QA/QC - Facilities Division (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: good management
Cons: high turnover rate
Initially challenging, however the limited diversity in engineering disciplines caused me to seek out new work.
would'nt recommend it
Apprentice Electrician (Industrial) (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: good pay in town
Cons: management
management was terrible, never had parts, and just out of the blue laid everyone off with no warning.
Great experience and all around work in my field
2nd Yr Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaMay 15, 2013
Pros: great pay and hours
Cons: shortage of work had me working only 3-4 days a week
Not a bad place to work. Friendly coworkers and management but shortage of work had me falling on hard times.
long hours, lots of overtime
Ironworker Foreman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2013
made lots of money there. lots of overtime. never than a single problem with anyone there
Two Faced Company
Estimator (Former Employee), EdontonFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: get rid of you without thinking
Worked in office, Management screwed up a bid, office staff paid the price, half of us laid off. When it came time to replace us none of laid off staff had a chance to get their old jobs back. Typical American company where people mean nothing. Senior Management forgets it is the people of the company that forgot them to where they are.
Overall a pretty good place to be.
Welder Apprentice (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: lots of over time.
Cons: a bit on the disorganized side.
Worked at the mod yard. I got in on t he pipe fab end of things. Seeing as how I didn't have a pressure ticket I had to pretty much be a pipe fitter for the whole duration of that job. I had to read and progress my isos. I also had to prep, fit and bridge tack pipe. I also had to set lines on mods and set projections.

The only kind of welding I did there is guides and gussets and other such things.