Willbros Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Amazing People, Fun
Junior Field Engineer (Former Employee), Anzac, ABJanuary 12, 2016
Willbros Canada is an amazing company with amazing people. The management and co-workers were all really enjoyable to work with.
It was a job.....
Site Materials Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: "it's a job"
Cons: Lack of site management representation
Typical for industrial construction in the Oil and Gas sector. Management was slow to react and only got involved when there were challenges. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-operation and professionalism of my co-workers.
decent, good pay
Excavator and Dozer Operator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 6, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: security
I would work for willbros on any large project again... not really sure about the short periods of work due to lack of jobs but fun place great people good atmosphere, oh and too many out of province workers hired vs local people being employed.
good people to work with most of the workers are nice.
Civil Crew (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABOctober 9, 2015
Pros: Salary
Cons: Short term projects
Is it a good company to work for,but the main issue the projects are short term and you get laid off. is hard to live in Fort McMurray working for this company. No job security
Fun workplace with great leadership.
Labourer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 25, 2015
Great workplace with awesome leadership, we had fun with what we did. When needed to be serious we were and enjoyed doing our job. The company was all about safety and that was a key part of the work environment. They had lots of task changes and deadlines which made it interesting.
Great management team.
Foreman (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJune 25, 2015
They had a great team of leaders and treated you good . I had a structural foreman spot and the crew was a great bunch and had the support of management . Safety is the number one priority.
Document Controller (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 20, 2015
Since I started working here I have met some pretty awesome people. The people here have become like a second family to me.
Good work and fantastic crews
Welder Helper/Labourer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2015
I really enjoyed the environment that I worked in and I learned a lot of useful skills. My foremans and general foreman cared about their crews and tried to accommodate us as much as they could. All and all, it is a really great company.
normal pipeline job
Labourer / Safety (Former Employee), AlbertaApril 20, 2015
Hard work in all weather with different levels of training. Working to get a tough job done as a crew safely. Working with a veriaty of personalitys
Good Company
QC Electrical Lead (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 1, 2015
Fair company, good work atmosphere and a good group of guys to work with. Company Benefits, Safety Orientated and family balanced
Not good place to work
Electrician (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMarch 12, 2015
they have big problem in management, organizing and communication with the workers.Each ppl they hired they told them the project just for 3 months then when we started working they said it will be last after month so they got laid off 40 ppl some of them they didnt complete 1 week.I didn't feel comfortable in morning meeting cuz the lunch trail is very small to fit almost 100 electricians. They pay good wage but still need more time to solve the mentioned problems and to develop themselves
horrible and toxic work environment
electrician (Former Employee), fort macMarch 11, 2015
Pros: getting laid off from willbros
Cons: you're working for willbros
The bad attitude starts at the very top with the electrical division of this gong show. First day there the project manager comes in yelling and cursing out the entire staff, this was a trend as his brother (a super) days later came in cursing and screaming about parts being left in trucks and this being the reason there are no materials to work with, nothing to do with the ineptitude of management naturally.

We were hired and told there would be 6-8 weeks work, got one turnaround and they laid off 54 people (including people who started a week after us who didn't even get a full turnaround). We were blatantly lied to about the length of time we were going to be there as it turned out they just needed to burn man hours. When lay off day came people were literally crossing their fingers to be on the list. General consensus was that the overwhelming majority would NEVER work for this company again.

Bottom line, no respect whatsoever for the employees and horrible management. If you get a call from this crowd for work do yourself a favour and don't pick up the phone.

On a side note the travel coordinator Cindy seems to be the only one who cares at all about the workers and works her butt off to manage more people than she should ever have to by herself.
Gained Experience in Field Services
Document Control and Site Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: every other fridays off
Cons: management
Typical day of work was very productive and busy. Balancing time sensitive items, emergency requests and basic doc control duties. Worked in a small office within a large company.
Mismanagement, no aknowldgment f of good work from manager
Safety lead and manager (Former Employee), Suncor siteDecember 16, 2014
always busy
How to focus on your duties in spite mismanagement
Poor
generally good,
dealing with workers who have connection with the manager
Always lot do, and salary on time
planner and scheduler
FACILITIES PLANNER AND SCHEDULER (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 12, 2014
great company to work. All co-workers are very cooperative, excellent team players and all are hard workers
Boys club
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee), Fort mcMurrayOctober 29, 2014
Pros: pays well enough if you get loa otherwise they're just as low rent as all the others
Cons: crews and supervision are all stoners-quality of work bears this out.
Has the potential to be a great company; sadly this won't ever happen. Dreadful safety culture. Poor management structure-Friends getting friends jobs-foremen and general foremen are clueless and run from one catastrophe to another. Weed and strippers seem to be much more of a priority than providing a good product for the client.
Camp Work
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2014
I like camp work when it comes down saving money and eating good food.
Disfunctional, political, Unsupportive second line management
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), VariousJune 1, 2014
Pros: competitive salery
Cons: too many professional risks.
If you are a professional, the risk thresthold is just too high. Second line and higher management demostrates little or no understanding of front line management responsibilies to (i.e.Safety & OH&S act/regulations, direct field and indirct labour supervision).

Co-workers were on a siding scale of behavior based on time in with the company. The longer they survive the worse team and general attitude becomes. Apparently, you have to have values polarized from the written ones to succeed.

Hardest part of the job; interference from unaccountable upper management. Help seamed to be never intended.

Enjoyable part was moving on to a higher career because of the experience.
depending on mood
Foreman-Ground Disturbance Coordinator (Current Employee), edmontonMay 23, 2014
Pros: could be fun
Cons: all good
it was fun while it last each on it own, depending on which crew you work with
Not good place to work with
Project Control Specialist (Current Employee), Fort McMurrey, ABMarch 4, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: bad management
Management is bad, not organized company, every one works on his own without specific rules.