Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews

Fun work space
Club President (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 September 2017
Working with clubs was a fun way to get involved and meet people with the same interest and passion as you. However planning events and or meetings can be tedious and at times difficult due to the number of different paths that they require you to follow. Making events could be easier.
Pros
Fun met new people
Cons
Hard to plan events
Contract faculty get treated this way everywhere.
Contract Faculty (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 September 2017
WLU is not unlike other universities and colleges that I know. My friends and colleagues experience similar challenges and limitations when they work as contract faculty at other places.

As a contract faculty member the benefits, salary and job security are very limited. Job culture varies from department to department. The best part of teaching under these conditions is the interaction with students.
Great place to work!
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 August 2017
I really enjoyed my time working here. I worked with many students and lead/facilitated numerous courses and areas of mathematics including Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Statistics.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Radio Show Host (Current Employee) –  202 Regina Street21 June 2017
The company, Arts Laurier, is a student run company connected to Wilfrid Laurier Waterloo campus. The workplace is relaxed yet still very productive due to its management style. As a company it has many pros such as meeting underground artists and getting to know people who are creating such beautiful art. However, the only con to this would be the clarity of what is needed from each employee.
Bulk Barn- It had its moments, but overall turned out disappointing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON14 June 2017
Working here was like riding a wave sometimes, things were never consistent. For starters, they put me at the cash register on my first day on the job without any prior training and told me to tell customers that I was in training and to "just have patience". After a few weeks of trial and error, for lack of a better expression, they told me that I was ready to do stock. Again, they did not train me and just expected that I already knew where everything was and how it all worked. The work place was always hectic, even when the store was empty I still found myself running all over the place trying to get everything done. Then there were days where nothing needed to be done (or so it seemed) and management would say nothing but then single you out later in the week for something that they did not clarify. Overall, I would recommend against working here mainly because of management. Not that the work was hard, the labour itself was not at all intensive. The most enjoyable part was leaving bulk barn for good.
Pros
free leftovers
Cons
management, poor hours, poor income
Wlu
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 May 2017
great place to work, really professional and great hours. marked students papers, held offices hours. Read the material for the classes that i was a teaching assistant for.
Pros
proper pay
A Very Good Undergraduate Experience
Music Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 May 2017
I went to Wilfrid Laurier University for my undergraduate degree in music. I thoroughly enjoyed it, made many friends along the way, and was thoroughly enriched and improved as a musician and as a person. The atmosphere at Laurier was always welcoming, and I always felt comfortable asking questions and seeking extra help.
Great work environment
Student Theatre Technician/Stage Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 April 2017
My workplace doesn't leave its employees to fail. They are constantly assisting and teaching, to ensure that their employees are well-trained. Very flexible hours, to fit students' individual schedules.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Short hours
A job
Theory Tutor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 April 2017
Professors need to assign tutors to students struggling in music theory earlier in the semester, not a couple weeks before finals. Can't be of much help when someone is so far under the level they should be at.
Need to investigate more efficient ways of logging hours.
Pros
you make your own hours
Cons
you don't get many students
Enjoyable work setting
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON17 April 2017
Standard RA position but will vary on department and project. I worked in the geography department which had excellent resources and people to work with.

Want to know more about Wilfrid Laurier University?

Ask a question
Director of Information Systems (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 March 2017
Lots of diversity. Opportunity to expand your education. People are very friendly. Great working conditions. Benefits are good. It is a growing organization.
Fun and engaging
Senior Headstart Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 March 2017
Good structure in place, not overly competitive. With good management. You always want to make sure you're accessible and friendly to gain your supervisors trust.
Pros
Free lunches, friendly staff
Cons
lots of standing
Great work environment to work in
Music Therapy Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 February 2017
Great environment to work in, great faculty and students have the opportunity to strive if they are willing to put the efforts in learning. As a part time faculty staff, there is no job security.
Chemistry Instructional Assistant
Chemistry Teacher in Laboratory (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 January 2017
Wilfrid Laurier University and its staff are amazing employers. They are flexible with your school schedule so they will make sure that they give you an opportunity to work around it.
Fun working place with lots of opportunities
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Recruitment2 January 2017
Wilfrid Laurier provides an opportunity to be part of a team, providing team building activities and training sessions throughout my time there. Continued to challenge myself in many different opportunities.
Enhance confidence and preciseness
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 September 2016
I have proctored over 30 exams during the fall and winter term. I need to explain the exam rules to all students, and created a professional and pleasant environment for optimal test performance for all examinees. I need to finish the signing sheet for the first half hour, also answer questions from students. Sometimes, I need to accompany students to washroom. It improves my multitasking skill. Meanwhile, it enhancing my public speaking skill. I become more confident and preciseness through this position
Patience and attention to detail of job
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 August 2016
I was mainly responsible for assisting professors to supervise the students during the exams. It helps me to pay attention to detail where anything shouldn't be overlooked. The management is very efficient since it is on call, we will know any shifts available in advance. The co-workers are all students, so it is less competitive. The hardest part of the job is to pay attention to check students closely and keep patient during the exam. The most enjoyable part of the job is to find out the suspicious behaviors.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
I expect it can increase workload
Inspiring and enriching workplace
Music Therapy Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 June 2016
Exceptional, enriching and well balanced environment workplace. I am a part time staff on contract. I prefer having a full time secure job position.
Fun Progressive
PT Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 June 2016
Working for WLU is very rewarding and exciting, Many opportunities too advance up, as well as a fun working environment.
Pros
exciting new activities day to day
Cons
not many cons to me
Good place to work and study
Teaching / Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 June 2016
I was just a graduate student. However, there are so many teaching assistant positions in the school of business and economics. It is so easy to meet the professors.