Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews in Canada

Enriching learning and working environment
History Department Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 30, 2015
As my co-op placement through Wilfrid Laurier University, this opportunity gave me invaluable experience in a field relevant to my future career aspirations. From this experience I learned that I wanted to work with manuscripts, as I did in this position. A typical day consisted of analyzing the manuscript, transcribing the medieval Latin and researching if specific quotes were attributed correctly in the text. Subsequently, I would compile the information in a predetermined format to be put on the professor's website.
Pros
Freedom of choice, and independent work
Cons
Only available to current students
One of the best jobs I have ever had
Hockey Intramural Head Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 18, 2016
-2 hours of office hours to do administration work (emails, schedules, payroll)
-I learned time management skills as well as communication skills
-Management was very supportive and enjoyable
-Co-workers were very friendly and supportive also
-Hardest part of the job Hiring/firing
-Most enjoyable part of the job was making a positive difference
Pros
Free gym class memberships, free gear
Cons
No Cons in my opinion
helps me get a lot information how to a career processing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 9, 2016
its a volunteer
learn how to collect data, analysis data
understand how career works
hardest part is different person have their own judgement and concern, hard to put different idea together
enjoyable part is get lot new friends, good communication
The University and it's Cafeteria Staff
Multiple, see below (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 11, 2016
For a school, they were very odd about adjusting my schedule so that I could work and do school, and often scheduled me too early and I was often late because I couldn't get out of class early without missing important information.

One of the managers was also pretty mean, and she even talked down to me when I let out a "S***" but she walked around constantly dropping the F bomb.

It was so much fun working there though, and I always had something to do :)
Great student environment, professors and teaching atmosphere.
Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 8, 2016
Great student environment, professors and teaching atmosphere. It was a great place to attend school for undergraduate with an increasing number of students within all fields of study. Professors were approachable and easy to talk to and understandable while teaching. Overall an amazing experience and student body.
Supportive and equitable place to work
Coordinator (Administrative) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 22, 2016
I work in a flexible environment. I work independently throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of my day is working with and for Indigenous people. Our program is a unique program that offers an Indigenous world view - it is the only program of its kind in Canada. I work with a great team that supports higher learning and cultural development
Pros
Cultural programming
Cons
Travel
a stock market competition
RESEARCH & ANALYSIS EXPERIENCE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
it is a stock market competition organized by Wilfrid Laurier University. everyday we need to use our spare time to watch the direction of the market. the trade is done by logging into their competition website and the orders are traded at the end of the day.
Amazing
Volunteer and Leadership (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 3, 2016
- Best four years of my life interacting with students all over the country and internationally
- Learned working with others effectively in a team environment
- Freedom to do what you want while building life long friendships
Great place to work.
Instructional Assistant (Physics) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 31, 2016
Great place to work. Picked up a lot of experience that will be applicable in other jobs as well. Definitely recommend. The people are agreeable. Best part of the job were the flexible hours.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough hours
Challenging and rewarding work environment
Human Geography Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Challenging work environment with supportive management. Provides you the opportunity to develop further skill sets and teaches you time management and critical analysis skills.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Professional and exciting environment where I can utilize my skills, as well learning new skills
Political Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2016
A very inviting and diverse environment where I can teach and tutor students various methods for studying, learning and achieving high grades
great place to work and learn
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 24, 2015
really learned a lot about teaching through the teaching center, although career opportunities are minimal .people are generally nice except for the secretary, kind of mean.
Great place to work, with amazing co workers
IT Analyst, Student Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 11, 2015
Amazing place work with great bosses and co workers. Able to get a lot of work done, with the ability to take on different projects and tasks throughout the week.
Leadership role
Laurier International Foreign Exchange CHAIR (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 23, 2015
It is a hard role requires the person has very strong multi-task and leadership. I did so well and I am so happy about it, It improved my leadership and communication skill to a next level.
Great experiences at Laurier University
LIFA Member (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 7, 2015
Wilfrid Laurier University has one of the best SBE (school of business and economic) school in Canada. It is really fun to study here.
Good experence
Teaching Assistant, Intermediate Econometrics (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 17, 2015
• Management skills increased by assisting professor to provide academic guidance to numerous students
• Advanced communication and problem-solving skills developed by setting extra office hours
• Organizational skills applied to grade assignments and tests and to proctor the midterm and final exams
• Deadline-focused and detail-oriented evaluated by professor and students
Fast passed environment, in a customer service job
FSA (Food Service Associate) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 13, 2015
Show up 20 minutes early, for parking and to get appropriate attire.
Find Your daily duties posted on scheduled wall.
While making sure that your duties get done, you may also have to assisting and supporting other coworkers. Managers/ Supervisors are not available during some work time, this allows for you to work independently and show responsibility.
Your task throughout the day change, which is apart of the job I enjoyed the most!
Proctoring
Exam Proctor (Former Employee) –  WaterlooApril 12, 2015
the proctoring was a great injection of salary during exam time. some responsibly and required attention. Overall a great way to make some money being a student.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
unpaired meetings
The first full time job that I had worked.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 13, 2014
A typical day at work: To develop Manulife clients application forms access database and perform filing clients' information to the company database
What you learned: I learned some policy of the life insurance company.
Management: There are two managers as a partners in the company, so sometimes they have the different idea for some issues.
Your co-workers: I love my colleagues who gave me some investment suggestions.
The hardest part of the job: How to handle some situations with two managers.
The most enjoyable part of the job: Knowing how to buy a reasonable life insurance in the future.
Inspiring
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 14, 2014
Great work environment. As a Master's student and research assistant I was required to plan my own time effectively in order to complete tasks in a timely manner. I learned a lot about qualitative research and time management. The hardest part of the job was staying focused on the task at hand when new information or ideas came up. The most enjoyable part of the job was continuously learning more and more.

4.3