Wilfrid Laurier University Employee Reviews in Canada

Enriching learning and working environment
History Department Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 30, 2015
As my co-op placement through Wilfrid Laurier University, this opportunity gave me invaluable experience in a field relevant to my future career aspirations. From this experience I learned that I wanted to work with manuscripts, as I did in this position. A typical day consisted of analyzing the manuscript, transcribing the medieval Latin and researching if specific quotes were attributed correctly in the text. Subsequently, I would compile the information in a predetermined format to be put on the professor's website.
Pros
Freedom of choice, and independent work
Cons
Only available to current students
One of the best jobs I have ever had
Hockey Intramural Head Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 18, 2016
-2 hours of office hours to do administration work (emails, schedules, payroll)
-I learned time management skills as well as communication skills
-Management was very supportive and enjoyable
-Co-workers were very friendly and supportive also
-Hardest part of the job Hiring/firing
-Most enjoyable part of the job was making a positive difference
Pros
Free gym class memberships, free gear
Cons
No Cons in my opinion
Great student environment, professors and teaching atmosphere.
Student (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 8, 2016
Great student environment, professors and teaching atmosphere. It was a great place to attend school for undergraduate with an increasing number of students within all fields of study. Professors were approachable and easy to talk to and understandable while teaching. Overall an amazing experience and student body.
helps me get a lot information how to a career processing
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 9, 2016
its a volunteer
learn how to collect data, analysis data
understand how career works
hardest part is different person have their own judgement and concern, hard to put different idea together
enjoyable part is get lot new friends, good communication
The University and it's Cafeteria Staff
Multiple, see below (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 11, 2016
For a school, they were very odd about adjusting my schedule so that I could work and do school, and often scheduled me too early and I was often late because I couldn't get out of class early without missing important information.

One of the managers was also pretty mean, and she even talked down to me when I let out a "S***" but she walked around constantly dropping the F bomb.

It was so much fun working there though, and I always had something to do :)
Great place to work.
Instructional Assistant (Physics) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 31, 2016
Great place to work. Picked up a lot of experience that will be applicable in other jobs as well. Definitely recommend. The people are agreeable. Best part of the job were the flexible hours.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough hours
a stock market competition
RESEARCH & ANALYSIS EXPERIENCE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 7, 2016
it is a stock market competition organized by Wilfrid Laurier University. everyday we need to use our spare time to watch the direction of the market. the trade is done by logging into their competition website and the orders are traded at the end of the day.
The rewards of working with young adults
Curriculum Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMay 31, 2016
A fine place to work, very professional in nature. One of the most rewarding aspects of the job is speaking one-on-one with young adults and helping them shape their future goals.
Good place to work and study
Teaching / Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 1, 2016
I was just a graduate student. However, there are so many teaching assistant positions in the school of business and economics. It is so easy to meet the professors.
Inspiring and enriching workplace
Music Therapy Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 28, 2016
Exceptional, enriching and well balanced environment workplace. I am a part time staff on contract. I prefer having a full time secure job position.
Fun Progressive
PT Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 28, 2016
Working for WLU is very rewarding and exciting, Many opportunities too advance up, as well as a fun working environment.
Pros
exciting new activities day to day
Cons
not many cons to me
Amazing
Volunteer and Leadership (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 3, 2016
- Best four years of my life interacting with students all over the country and internationally
- Learned working with others effectively in a team environment
- Freedom to do what you want while building life long friendships
Supportive and equitable place to work
Coordinator (Administrative) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 22, 2016
I work in a flexible environment. I work independently throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of my day is working with and for Indigenous people. Our program is a unique program that offers an Indigenous world view - it is the only program of its kind in Canada. I work with a great team that supports higher learning and cultural development
Pros
Cultural programming
Cons
Travel
Professional and exciting environment where I can utilize my skills, as well learning new skills
Political Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 25, 2016
A very inviting and diverse environment where I can teach and tutor students various methods for studying, learning and achieving high grades
Proctoring
Exam Proctor (Former Employee) –  WaterlooApril 12, 2015
the proctoring was a great injection of salary during exam time. some responsibly and required attention. Overall a great way to make some money being a student.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
unpaired meetings
Working on my Master's degree
M.A. Degree Community Psychology (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJune 18, 2014
I was working on my Master's degree full time. Courses included community development and other psychology courses.

After attaining Master's Degree, I lived in the Canadian arctic from 1988-91 (working for the Government of the Northwest Territories) developing self-help programmes as defined by and for Inuit peoples. I was also working as a psychologist/mental health specialist in that capacity.

In the arctic my salary was approximately $50,000 per year
Great place to work, with amazing co workers
IT Analyst, Student Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 11, 2015
Amazing place work with great bosses and co workers. Able to get a lot of work done, with the ability to take on different projects and tasks throughout the week.
Challenging and rewarding work environment
Human Geography Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Challenging work environment with supportive management. Provides you the opportunity to develop further skill sets and teaches you time management and critical analysis skills.
Pros
Flexible work hours
great place to work and learn
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 24, 2015
really learned a lot about teaching through the teaching center, although career opportunities are minimal .people are generally nice except for the secretary, kind of mean.
Friendly atmosphere
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 2, 2013
I really enjoyed working with and helping the undergraduate students. The managers were so helpful, organized and reachable. The hardest part was to be fair and concise in marking.
Pros
good salary
Cons
lots of marking

4.3