Wholesale Sports Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
It was an okay job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2017
Worked there but didn't give enough hours. I think we should get commission because some people don't work too hard. Good and nice guys. You learn a lot!
Fun place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 April 2017
If you love the outdoors this is the best place for you too work. There are so many different departments to work for and everyone there has the same interests as you.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 March 2017
Okay job if you like hunting, fishing, camping, hiking and activities like that. No room to advance further up. Lots of drama and a very high turnover rate.
A nice place to work
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK24 February 2017
A fine place to work. I learned a lot from my direct manager. The best part of the job were the people that you worked with. You could have fun and still get your job done.
Operations
Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2016
No matter how hard you work you will not be appreciated. However, many coworkers are very enjoyable to work with. If I miss anything, it is definitely the coworkers.
A typcial day at work
Front End Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK24 October 2016
I begin my day with restarting all the computers at the Front End so they will not to be sluggish and work for half the day at least. I always arrive early after I am done restarting the tills I put away my stuff in my locker and I relax.

Once I am done and punched in I go speak to my boss to find out if anyone has called in or anything I should know, I am Front End Dept. Lead so it is my job to find out this information.

I then communicate with my coworkers and I process transactions and engage in customer concerns.
Pros
Stress Free
Cons
Not enough hours
great staff management needs work
gun counter associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2016
I use to enjoy going into work everyday but as time grew on it got worse and worse. New hires got more hours then the original staff. if we had a issue with the schedule we were belittled for complaining. department mangers were a blessing but the upper end needs to give their head a shake.
Pros
discounts
Cons
management
Great staff, good discounts
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 January 2016
Days are not overly long, co workers are great. Upper management is not the most helpful but the department managers are fantastic.
Pros
Staff bonding, employee discounts
Cons
Difficult to reach upper management quickly
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2015
Friendly staff, good customers and lots of things to learn or teach. Management was constantly visible and talk with customers and staff. Wages were okay, time off was hard to get due to problems in staff time management.
Pros
Anual pot luck and BBQ, discounts
Cons
Management and stock troubles
Fun and rewarding job
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton AB10 August 2015
Typical day at work is fun, and eventful. I have learned a whole lot about hunting, fishing and camping while I have worked here. It has also taught me a lot about customer service and the business side of things.
Decent but....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 June 2015
Management when I was working at Wholesale sucked, the main office was always messing things up and we were losing customers all the time because of it. The staff is friendly and most in hunting know their stuff.
Pros
Extras from manufacturers
Cons
Wages
very boring environment, good people
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Kelowna, BC24 May 2015
Great CEO, work space had poor training and was very boring, lack of understanding and communication, Too much staff, then too little staff when the floor became busy.
Did not enjoy working here
Junior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2015
The guys I worked with seemed to be nice and of a decent sort. The management unfortunately did not provide a nice working atmosphere. Low pay boring job. I would recommend not working here.
Pros
Tim Hortons was close by
Cons
Painfully boring job
Great work environment, friendly customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC28 September 2014
My job is to be at the customer service desk and help customers. I answer phones, handle cash and payments, and also issue hunting and fishing licenses. My coworkers are very friendly and help out whenever needed. Management is friendly and comes to help whenever needed. My favourite part of my job is talking to the customers, because some of them are very sociable and brighten my day!
Pros
Fun work environment, friendly staff and management
Cons
Messy Scheduling
Poductive and fun
Receptionist, AR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 June 2014
Family owned. Very fun and awesome staff. Busy but fun days.
Fast-paced retail outlet.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2014
Extremely active.
On-going updates of product knowledge.
Pros
Cons
Stock shortages, weekend work
Staff parties and discount purchasing policy.
Receiver/Shipper/Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC12 February 2014
Progressive well managed company at the Head Office level.
Pros
Work hours. Local staff well suited for work.
Cons
Local management had no autonomy, head office handled all purchasing.
The work was busy and I always found work if things were slow.
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 October 2013
This is one position I loved and will always be grateful for. I learned so much in this line of work and I had great co-workers who taught me and guided me as I learned new tasks. Eventually, I grew in this position from the "new kid" to a more senior role and loved the responsibility. It was the "fun" place to be and with the economy and the competition being tough on that particular company, they made cut-backs and it was time to move on. It was a tough decision, but one that I put much thought into. I am now once again, growing and learning and looking for ways to advance. I believe in looking forward - because if you concentrate on staring in the rear-view mirror - you will eventually crash. Positive and forward I go.
Pros
Variety, learning, responsibility, and maintaing customer and co-worker relationships.
Cons
Not enough hours to satisfy my bank account. Cuts were made, and I was affected as were many others.
too many cheifs, not enough indians
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2013
a typical day would consist of processing deadline based bill payments, and collecting the necessary backup to facilitate the requirements posted for audit purposes (i.e. filing, proper signatories for cheques etc.) management is fluid and indecisive at times considering the ratio of upper management employees and team members is to my knowledge, largely favoring upper management, co-workers can be either largely enjoyable or quite off-putting as attitude will vary from person to person, the hardest part of the job was attempting to communicate the issues around deadlines, vendors etc. in a way that made sense to the upper management staff, communication was sparse and direct.
Pros
steady hours, breaks, medical/dental benefits, flex days etc.
Cons
communication issues, bipolar decision making from upper management
Retail
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2013
I was a customer service associate. It was definitely a good position for me, because I am a people person. My till was always spot on. The management was a little sloppy at the time, because they had the front end manager just leave one day, so a supervisor got asked to step up. No experience, things were sloppy. But she did a great job of holding everything together. I enjoyed everyone I worked with. They were all good people. I felt comfortable working with them.
Pros
Really cool store
Cons
Night shift to morning shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wholesale Sports. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5