Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews

Mission is Their Driving Force
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CA26 February 2014
Overall, I give Whole Foods Market every bit of credit for elevating the value of sustainability. WFM changed the way we think about food; changed our buying habits and made some of us more conscientious about what we consume. Amazing!

Easy to do your job when every decision is measured against a strong company mission, quality standards and clear values. I really liked that about WFM.

Enjoyed reporting to the Regional President at the time - very empowering and made work fun. But odd culture; couldn't put my finger on it. Corruption. Smart, passionate people but some a bit two-faced.

My passion for being a contributor to the company's vision made me blind to some of the internal obstacles. I started out loving it and left with a bad taste in my mouth. In spite of it all, came away with invaluable skills and life lessons. Also learned a good deal about my professional boundaries.

I keep in touch with a few ex-pats who feel the same way.

P.S. Make sure the benefits they offer fit your lifestyle. I found the non-traditional holiday/vac + health insurance offering extremely incompatible with my life - and expensive.
Pros
Strong brand!
Cons
Oppressive culture
Very productive and disciplined place to work.
Meat Department Team Member (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON25 February 2014
-An average day as a meat department team member consisted of constant watch for customers and providing good service. Later in the day, we could move to the back rooms and start taking apart meat grinders and cleaning equipment and the facility.
-I learned various cooking techniques for different meats (poultry, bovine etc...),differences in meat cuts also how to clean meat grinders and smokehouses.
-The management was very strict, there was little to no room for error or laziness.
-The most difficult part of being a meat department team member was keeping up the Whole Foods standard (much higher than the average grocer).
-The most enjoyable part of being a meat department team member was meeting new co-workers. The staff at the store are very friendly and out-going.
Pros
The salary, co-workers
Cons
Long hours, strict management, arrogant customers
A fun and challenging workplace, great energy and great people!
Trade Show Sales Consultant - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 January 2014
Working with the team at Rallis Whole Foods is like working with your closest friends....the funniest ones you have. The owners work with you first-hand, are great at motivating you and even better and making sure you feel great about your successes. There is no quota pressure with this job but you have to work hard to make good sales - trade shows are potential clients walking by all the time and you have to keep your energy up to capture people's attention out of a crowd and sell them. The olive oil is delicious and is a great wellness and food product that you'll feel good about selling. I definitely recommend working for this company.
Pros
Delicious, Raw and Nutritious Olive Oil
Cons
On your feet a lot - wear good shoes!
Positive environment with great management
Customer Service Rep/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 December 2013
The environment was extremely positive as many employees, customers, and managers were always cheerful. My team and I worked very hard together at creating a positive experience for anyone and everyone just as everyone else seemed to do the same. The hardest part of the job remains to be working under pressure; certain times when you have more than 3 or 4 things that need to be done in such a short amount of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling attached to collaborating with my team and overcoming the stress of all the rushed duties.
Pros
long breaks, freedom during work
Cons
long shifts, small environment
Work on pastry production and custom cakes (make, design and decorate them with different techniques).
Bakery Team Member (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON16 October 2013
Full time Pastry Chef.
Pastry production: Make cakes from scratch
Make fillings from scratch
Custom cakes: Design and decoration.
Customer service
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
8 - 9 hours daily
Good Company
Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 July 2013
This is a good company to work for however that doesn't always mean that management will be good.
Productive and fun workplace with healthy life style!!!
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 July 2013
• Greeting every customer and potential customers in a pleasant and professional manner
• Giving every customer immediate and undivided attention
• Following proper procedures for customer check out, handling of tenders, use of tares
• Supporting global, regional, and store programs
• Responsible for answering phone calls of customer to provide all the information regarding to products
its sad
cashier (Former Employee) –  cambie st 11 June 2013
I went to this place for a job even when I had another job in the same field and they say that you should go there prepared so I did I did some research on the company and brought it in thinking that they would like the fact I took the time to get to know how they run and that indeed I took interest in them and coming fourth and showing them that I did have what it took to work for their company but they didn't like that I had so much on them ,the guy got up and had some one else interview me ?? any way if you go there for a job I guess you should show up and play the duck since I guess that's what maybe they are looking for !
Pros
there are none
Cons
its a sad company
Productive and Healthy Place
Prep cook/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 March 2013
I mostly learned my cooking skill here at wholefoods. They gave me so much hours and good benefits to this store. I gained so much friends here coz they were nice. Hardest job that ive done here is when i worked as a dishwasher. It was cruel but i get used to it. I enjoyed working here coz most of the ppl in the store was really friendly and easy to talk with.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
long hours, overtime
Every day is productive and fun working with each team member
Associate Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 March 2013
Every day with different challenge
good management
helping team members
maintaing quality
helping costumers,training team members
Pros
team members 20% discount
Cons
good hours
Healthy eating start here
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 February 2013
Selling of highest natural and organics products.Learn the differents products in the kitchen.Great team members in any departments.Lots of delivery during holidays is coming.
Pros
free gift card
Cons
8 hours
Natural and healthy products environment
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2013
Order, receive products. Work closely with other departments managers. Help to select products for customers with different nutritional requirements. Hire, supervise and direct employees.
Pros
a chance to learn about variety multitude of healthy products
Cons
retail weekend hours
Productive, helpful and enjoyable customers!
Customer Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC24 January 2013
A typical day at work would involve interacting with customers, setting up health programs that were best suited for that individual.
I was able to take advantage of on going training in this field, regarding product knowledge. Working together as a team at Whole Foods in my department, made work very enjoyable and having a good sense of humor always is a plus in any work place. I got along very well with my co-workers, I enjoy people and could put a smile on any face at work at some point in the day. The hardest part of this job would have been loosing a customer to an illness. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to assist in some one being able to attain better health..
Pros
staff trainings, benefits and great department manager.
Cons
short staffed at times, no staff meetings and could not get enough hours.
was ok
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 October 2012
was very intresting to open store for the first time in Vancouver, learned how t do that, team working was very important, the hardest part was to promote for new position
Pros
free samples
Cons
different shift
Unfortunately Not My Best Review...
P/T Administration & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON23 May 2012
-No health and safety board
-Inadequate working conditions