Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews

Good perks but don't go in it for the long haul
Front End Team Member, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 1, 2015
I would recommend this job for anybody who is all about organic food and healthy living, a student, or someone who needs some extra income, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I care about.

Good short term work. Starting pay is above minimum wage, you get 20% off everything in store and you can work that up to 30% off with healthy lifestyle choices. Coworkers are top notch people, you have to have two-thirds of the department vote yes to get the job. Health and dental for full-timers, gainsharing (pay bonuses) every two weeks gives you extra money based on your hours worked. Paid vacation for FT, plus 5 paid days off, and 5 non-paid days to spend time with family.

Downsides: while about 97% of the customers are generally great people, that leftover 3% is full of narcissistic, entitled, "me-me-me" attitude jerks who may eventually suck the life out of you; a lot of this job is about making that 3% happy, even if it comes at the expense of your own sanity. Also the work environment is generally geared towards who are the favourites. Doesn't matter how long you work there, people with less seniority can get promoted up and pay raises before you do.

I'm too lazy to keep going. Bottom line is it pays my bills, but I'm leaving soon.
Pros
20-30% discount, health & dental, paid vacation & days off
Cons
customers, favouritism
was ok
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 14, 2012
was very intresting to open store for the first time in Vancouver, learned how t do that, team working was very important, the hardest part was to promote for new position
Pros
free samples
Cons
different shift
The company felt bigger than its image
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCMay 28, 2014
Not the fondest of this job, West Van had some of the hardest customers to deal with and there was no benefit for being hardworking and biking to work every day.
Great training in customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 5, 2014
A great way to learn how to be a good customer service representative. Good work environment and healthy work relationships with co workers.
Productive fast paced workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2014
Fast paced work place
Amazing team members
Good leadership
Enjoyable hours
Pros
20% off everything in store
Cons
1 half hour break 1 15 break
Unfortunately Not My Best Review...
P/T Administration & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONMay 23, 2012
-No health and safety board
-Inadequate working conditions
-Improper management
-No structure
It really is great
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 25, 2014
Whole Foods Market is not your typical store. You've meet all kinds of people. You hear all kinds of things. Everyday is unique to say the least. I have to say that I am completely blessed to work with the people that I work with. It's a family. How could it not be? You spend most of your life there. If you're comfortable going to work then you will enjoy going to work. That's always important. Creating a good relationship with a person you work with is so very important. Something I will always try to do.
I've been through absolutely everything that you can imagine.
Thanksgiving - all registers shut down. Can't be fixed. 500 people staring at you. What do you do? Whatever you can do. Sample, apologize, run around and accommodate as many people the best that you can. Pray that someone, somewhere is fixing the issue asap! We made it through that day somehow. I have to admit it was one of the best days of working there.
I've learned a lot about people, retail, management and myself. There's so much I feel like I can do in the world because not one person I have ever worked with in this company has ever told me I couldn't do it.
Pros
team members, fun events, discount, benefits, food, education
Mission is Their Driving Force
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 26, 2014
Overall, I give Whole Foods Market every bit of credit for elevating the value of sustainability. WFM changed the way we think about food; changed our buying habits and made some of us more conscientious about what we consume. Amazing!

Easy to do your job when every decision is measured against a strong company mission, quality standards and clear values. I really liked that about WFM.

Enjoyed reporting to the Regional President at the time - very empowering and made work fun. But odd culture; couldn't put my finger on it. Corruption. Smart, passionate people but some a bit two-faced.

My passion for being a contributor to the company's vision made me blind to some of the internal obstacles. I started out loving it and left with a bad taste in my mouth. In spite of it all, came away with invaluable skills and life lessons. Also learned a good deal about my professional boundaries.

I keep in touch with a few ex-pats who feel the same way.

P.S. Make sure the benefits they offer fit your lifestyle. I found the non-traditional holiday/vac + health insurance offering extremely incompatible with my life - and expensive.
Pros
strong brand!
Cons
oppressive culture
Excellent work place
Production Baker (Current Employee) –  Robson Street, Vancouver, BCAugust 18, 2014
very nice place to work. flexible, independent, team work feeling, excellent management team
I liked working there
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2014
I liked working with others.

Some co-workers were not helpful enough.
Cons
i didn't like working alone.
Good Company
Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 23, 2013
This is a good company to work for however that doesn't always mean that management will be good.