Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews

Great company to work on
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Yorkville, ON18 August 2016
People who works here are the best! They're all nice and willing to help anyone who needs help. The foods and products are allways fresh.
Pros
Fresh foods, great products
Cons
Might bump into crazy customers who thinks they own the store
Its a front....not ethical...i was told one thing and the reality was something different altogether
Prepare Foods Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 June 2016
-as a company with a structure and general information guide...I was absolutely shocked with the way team leaders and team members carried themselves
-the vote-in thing was probably a good concept at one time but its gone off the rails obviously
-turn over was unreal
-people wanted to quit, step down to part time and transfer after 6 months
-favoring those who did not much for the business
-dept, hours were cut but secret call-ins were made to do favors
-poor conditions
-no supervision
-poor standards
-no follow through
-when members had issues they were threatened through back door tactics
-anyone would train you/ bully you/ snap on you for no reason
there was no real training
-if you got hurt there was no proper protocol and you were treated differently
-no gain sharing
-poorly managed in some dept's

-this was a company i researched and shopped at for years and the moment i signed up and got to the dept. i heard nothing but warnings and wonderment as to why i left what i did for that job by the team that i was hired into...nothing but complaints about how badly it was run as well
-will not buy food there ever again

it was a very unfortunate and disappointing experience....not nice
Balanced & knowledgeable team. Weak management.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 April 2016
Fun, fast paced work environment with strong team member relationships as well as regular customer relationships. However, management needs some work.
Prepared Foods Team Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2016
Great workplace with lots of opportunity to grow. The payment is good. The environment is respectful and fun. There's also a 20% discount for all employees.
It really is great
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON25 August 2014
Whole Foods Market is not your typical store. You've meet all kinds of people. You hear all kinds of things. Everyday is unique to say the least. I have to say that I am completely blessed to work with the people that I work with. It's a family. How could it not be? You spend most of your life there. If you're comfortable going to work then you will enjoy going to work. That's always important. Creating a good relationship with a person you work with is so very important. Something I will always try to do.
I've been through absolutely everything that you can imagine.
Thanksgiving - all registers shut down. Can't be fixed. 500 people staring at you. What do you do? Whatever you can do. Sample, apologize, run around and accommodate as many people the best that you can. Pray that someone, somewhere is fixing the issue asap! We made it through that day somehow. I have to admit it was one of the best days of working there.
I've learned a lot about people, retail, management and myself. There's so much I feel like I can do in the world because not one person I have ever worked with in this company has ever told me I couldn't do it.
Pros
Team members, fun events, discount, benefits, food, education
Mission is Their Driving Force
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CA26 February 2014
Overall, I give Whole Foods Market every bit of credit for elevating the value of sustainability. WFM changed the way we think about food; changed our buying habits and made some of us more conscientious about what we consume. Amazing!

Easy to do your job when every decision is measured against a strong company mission, quality standards and clear values. I really liked that about WFM.

Enjoyed reporting to the Regional President at the time - very empowering and made work fun. But odd culture; couldn't put my finger on it. Corruption. Smart, passionate people but some a bit two-faced.

My passion for being a contributor to the company's vision made me blind to some of the internal obstacles. I started out loving it and left with a bad taste in my mouth. In spite of it all, came away with invaluable skills and life lessons. Also learned a good deal about my professional boundaries.

I keep in touch with a few ex-pats who feel the same way.

P.S. Make sure the benefits they offer fit your lifestyle. I found the non-traditional holiday/vac + health insurance offering extremely incompatible with my life - and expensive.
Pros
Strong brand!
Cons
Oppressive culture
Good perks but don't go in it for the long haul
Front End Team Member, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 August 2015
I would recommend this job for anybody who is all about organic food and healthy living, a student, or someone who needs some extra income, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I care about.

Good short term work. Starting pay is above minimum wage, you get 20% off everything in store and you can work that up to 30% off with healthy lifestyle choices. Coworkers are top notch people, you have to have two-thirds of the department vote yes to get the job. Health and dental for full-timers, gainsharing (pay bonuses) every two weeks gives you extra money based on your hours worked. Paid vacation for FT, plus 5 paid days off, and 5 non-paid days to spend time with family.

Downsides: while about 97% of the customers are generally great people, that leftover 3% is full of narcissistic, entitled, "me-me-me" attitude jerks who may eventually suck the life out of you; a lot of this job is about making that 3% happy, even if it comes at the expense of your own sanity. Also the work environment is generally geared towards who are the favourites. Doesn't matter how long you work there, people with less seniority can get promoted up and pay raises before you do.

I'm too lazy to keep going. Bottom line is it pays my bills, but I'm leaving soon.
Pros
20-30% discount, health & dental, paid vacation & days off
Cons
customers, favouritism
Perfect working environment
Prepared Food (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2016
I got Excellent team member, very helpful and friendly Team Leader, Awesome place to work. Very neat and tidy place.
Working with the friendly people is the best part.
Pros
Extremely helpful co- worker and Team Leader
Productive and Healthy Place
Prep cook/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 March 2013
I mostly learned my cooking skill here at wholefoods. They gave me so much hours and good benefits to this store. I gained so much friends here coz they were nice. Hardest job that ive done here is when i worked as a dishwasher. It was cruel but i get used to it. I enjoyed working here coz most of the ppl in the store was really friendly and easy to talk with.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
long hours, overtime
Productive, helpful and enjoyable customers!
Customer Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC24 January 2013
A typical day at work would involve interacting with customers, setting up health programs that were best suited for that individual.
I was able to take advantage of on going training in this field, regarding product knowledge. Working together as a team at Whole Foods in my department, made work very enjoyable and having a good sense of humor always is a plus in any work place. I got along very well with my co-workers, I enjoy people and could put a smile on any face at work at some point in the day. The hardest part of this job would have been loosing a customer to an illness. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to assist in some one being able to attain better health..
Pros
staff trainings, benefits and great department manager.
Cons
short staffed at times, no staff meetings and could not get enough hours.
this place sucks
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2016
takes advantage of workers.
can never get time off
they ask you to start early or stay later
get treated poorly
cultural racism
Pros
Cons
you sell your life to work at this job
A fun and challenging workplace, great energy and great people!
Trade Show Sales Consultant - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 January 2014
Working with the team at Rallis Whole Foods is like working with your closest friends....the funniest ones you have. The owners work with you first-hand, are great at motivating you and even better and making sure you feel great about your successes. There is no quota pressure with this job but you have to work hard to make good sales - trade shows are potential clients walking by all the time and you have to keep your energy up to capture people's attention out of a crowd and sell them. The olive oil is delicious and is a great wellness and food product that you'll feel good about selling. I definitely recommend working for this company.
Pros
Delicious, Raw and Nutritious Olive Oil
Cons
On your feet a lot - wear good shoes!
Good working environment
Prepared Food Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 April 2016
-Departments worked as a team
-Empowering. Team members were able to decide what needs to be accomplished first from their own judgement.
fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 March 2016
a typical day would be a 8 hour shift with amazing customers who are curious about living a healthy life
what i learned? about the different types of foods there are
i had amazing co workers the place was a positive environment to work in
Very friendly staff and
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 April 2014
Shifts were either between 6am-2 or 2-10. I would wash the previous dishes that were left over from the night before, and continue washing dishes and returning them to their proper location, occasionally helping chefs in the kitchen. I learned that everyone has their own way of doing things. Management was fantastic, they were very easy-going and understanding. Co-workers were also easy-going and super friendly. The hardest part of the job was the hours and when problems such as power-outages occurred causing dishes to pile up. The most enjoyable part of the job was working independently and sometimes in a small group or team in a fast-paced environment.
Fun, inclusive environment
Specialty Dept., Barista/Wine&Cheese Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham10 December 2014
Whole Foods Market has taught me the skill that i find to be the most important in the workplace: teamwork. Everything about Whole Foods is team oriented, from upper management to storefront employees. My co-workers were great, and we all mesched together as a team with little to no arguments. Management was superior and made each day go by quickly. I loved the fact that i could provide customers with the best service of any grocery store and also being able to represent a company that is recognized globally for their global outlook.
Pros
Set Hours
Cons
Dealing with angry customers
Good workplace
Bakery/Coffee Bar Team Member (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC4 April 2016
fun, you learn something new everyday. you'll learn more about healthy eating and better products. hardest part of the job are long hours because they close at 11pm
Fun workplace
Customer Service Cashier/Supervisor - Started (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON3 March 2016
You really get to know the customers and that was one of the best parts of working there. There is also a lot of room to grow in this company.
Enjoyable and Learning a lot while testing all kinds of fruits especialy if organic
Produce Team Member (Current Employee) –  Kitsilano, Vancouver, BC21 July 2014
Productive and fun workplace with co-team members.I learned a lot about what the quality of fruits and vegetables..and also to communicate to the costumers and how we give their satisfaction.The hardest part of the job was the schedule.The most enjoyable part of the Job was while im refilling the rack and the Isle and do the value add products
Pros
in a month we have at least free lunch and some gift card if we get the target sales
very welcoming work environment
stock and cashier (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC9 March 2016
Working at whole foods was a great learning experience as to they way things should be run, as well as setting a standard for the work you do.
Pros
great people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whole Foods Market. Our community is ready to answer.