Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews in Canada

Good perks but don't go in it for the long haul
Front End Team Member, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 1, 2015
I would recommend this job for anybody who is all about organic food and healthy living, a student, or someone who needs some extra income, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I care about.

Good short term work. Starting pay is above minimum wage, you get 20% off everything in store and you can work that up to 30% off with healthy lifestyle choices. Coworkers are top notch people, you have to have two-thirds of the department vote yes to get the job. Health and dental for full-timers, gainsharing (pay bonuses) every two weeks gives you extra money based on your hours worked. Paid vacation for FT, plus 5 paid days off, and 5 non-paid days to spend time with family.

Downsides: while about 97% of the customers are generally great people, that leftover 3% is full of narcissistic, entitled, "me-me-me" attitude jerks who may eventually suck the life out of you; a lot of this job is about making that 3% happy, even if it comes at the expense of your own sanity. Also the work environment is generally geared towards who are the favourites. Doesn't matter how long you work there, people with less seniority can get promoted up and pay raises before you do.

I'm too lazy to keep going. Bottom line is it pays my bills, but I'm leaving soon.
Pros
20-30% discount, health & dental, paid vacation & days off
Cons
customers, favouritism
Fast paced, good chance for advancement, fun
Grocery Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Unionville, ONJuly 27, 2015
Plenty of opportunity for advancement if you work hard. Excellent learning environment and decent work life balance. Good benefits. Sometimes a little too much politics.
Pros
Benefits, Employee discount, competitive wage, travel
Cons
politics, work most weekends, lack of Canadian upper management/regional positions
ONE OF THE BEST COMPANY TO WORK WITH
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2015
The company offers good benefit package plan that you cannot find everywhere, good environment to work with team members are very friendly .
Being productive at workplace and learned a lot from my job.
Preparedfoods Team member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 1, 2015
A typical day at work is, if we get busy which is the hardest part of my job but with the help of my co workers everything is under control. What i enjoyed much at work is everyone is open to help one another which in short team work is prevailing.
Pros
Gain sharing
Cons
need to work every sunday
Whole Foods was both a fun and supportive environment
Pasty Chef (Team Member) (Former Employee) –  Highway 7 Markham, ONApril 27, 2015
Whole Foods gives chances to many new employees in the way they recruit. I was one of those fortunate students lucky enough to be accepted by a large billion dollar company such as Whole Foods and gained much experience working there. The company has many meetings weekly to discuss certain safety and consumer tips. The Whole Foods Workplace also has an extremely friendly environment through the way their employees treat you the minute you walk in and when you leave. There were always smiles and small discussions and this promoted a very friendly, healthy, and supportive environment. Although my job there was terminated and not long lasting it was a pleasure to be given the opportunity and to have had the opportunity of working alongside such friendly people. It is not the kind of workplace where you would feel lesser than but instead always supported.
Pros
Very flexible hours/very negotiable, and willing to hire you even without experience
Cons
Expectations are very high and maintaining permanent employment is a difficult test to pass
Fun, inclusive environment
Specialty Dept., Barista/Wine&Cheese Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarkhamDecember 10, 2014
Whole Foods Market has taught me the skill that i find to be the most important in the workplace: teamwork. Everything about Whole Foods is team oriented, from upper management to storefront employees. My co-workers were great, and we all mesched together as a team with little to no arguments. Management was superior and made each day go by quickly. I loved the fact that i could provide customers with the best service of any grocery store and also being able to represent a company that is recognized globally for their global outlook.
Pros
set hours
Cons
dealing with angry customers
challenging and friendly people to worked with.
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 8, 2014
Whole Foods Market from Oakville Ontario that I worked for 3 years as a Customer Service Cashier is a very unique and challenging working place. The schedule is very flexible. Typical of work is exciting and can test your customer service skills. They also gave us training and give new information about all the products that we have in store. As a team member we worked as a team and we helped as a team,this is what we called in our store Team Member.
Pros
free courses.free samples
Cons
worked for 8hours
It really is great
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 25, 2014
Whole Foods Market is not your typical store. You've meet all kinds of people. You hear all kinds of things. Everyday is unique to say the least. I have to say that I am completely blessed to work with the people that I work with. It's a family. How could it not be? You spend most of your life there. If you're comfortable going to work then you will enjoy going to work. That's always important. Creating a good relationship with a person you work with is so very important. Something I will always try to do.
I've been through absolutely everything that you can imagine.
Thanksgiving - all registers shut down. Can't be fixed. 500 people staring at you. What do you do? Whatever you can do. Sample, apologize, run around and accommodate as many people the best that you can. Pray that someone, somewhere is fixing the issue asap! We made it through that day somehow. I have to admit it was one of the best days of working there.
I've learned a lot about people, retail, management and myself. There's so much I feel like I can do in the world because not one person I have ever worked with in this company has ever told me I couldn't do it.
Pros
team members, fun events, discount, benefits, food, education
Excellent work place
Production Baker (Current Employee) –  Robson Street, Vancouver, BCAugust 18, 2014
very nice place to work. flexible, independent, team work feeling, excellent management team
Enjoyable and Learning a lot while testing all kinds of fruits especialy if organic
Produce Team Member (Current Employee) –  Kitsilano, Vancouver, BCJuly 21, 2014
Productive and fun workplace with co-team members.I learned a lot about what the quality of fruits and vegetables..and also to communicate to the costumers and how we give their satisfaction.The hardest part of the job was the schedule.The most enjoyable part of the Job was while im refilling the rack and the Isle and do the value add products
Pros
in a month we have at least free lunch and some gift card if we get the target sales
Cons
The company felt bigger than its image
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCMay 28, 2014
Not the fondest of this job, West Van had some of the hardest customers to deal with and there was no benefit for being hardworking and biking to work every day.
Whole Foods Store Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 24, 2014
When you hire from bottom up, your roots are like a carrot; full of itself with very little deep roots of knowledge as an Oak tree would have. Most of the upper management have not worked outside of Whole Foods so.......
Pros
team members believe in the company dogma
Cons
management (they call themselves leaders but they are not)..don't!!
I liked working there
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2014
I liked working with others.

Some co-workers were not helpful enough.
Cons
i didn't like working alone.
Very friendly staff and
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 14, 2014
Shifts were either between 6am-2 or 2-10. I would wash the previous dishes that were left over from the night before, and continue washing dishes and returning them to their proper location, occasionally helping chefs in the kitchen. I learned that everyone has their own way of doing things. Management was fantastic, they were very easy-going and understanding. Co-workers were also easy-going and super friendly. The hardest part of the job was the hours and when problems such as power-outages occurred causing dishes to pile up. The most enjoyable part of the job was working independently and sometimes in a small group or team in a fast-paced environment.
Productive fast paced workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2014
Fast paced work place
Amazing team members
Good leadership
Enjoyable hours
Pros
20% off everything in store
Cons
1 half hour break 1 15 break
Great training in customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 5, 2014
A great way to learn how to be a good customer service representative. Good work environment and healthy work relationships with co workers.
Mission is Their Driving Force
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 26, 2014
Overall, I give Whole Foods Market every bit of credit for elevating the value of sustainability. WFM changed the way we think about food; changed our buying habits and made some of us more conscientious about what we consume. Amazing!

Easy to do your job when every decision is measured against a strong company mission, quality standards and clear values. I really liked that about WFM.

Enjoyed reporting to the Regional President at the time - very empowering and made work fun. But odd culture; couldn't put my finger on it. Corruption. Smart, passionate people but some a bit two-faced.

My passion for being a contributor to the company's vision made me blind to some of the internal obstacles. I started out loving it and left with a bad taste in my mouth. In spite of it all, came away with invaluable skills and life lessons. Also learned a good deal about my professional boundaries.

I keep in touch with a few ex-pats who feel the same way.

P.S. Make sure the benefits they offer fit your lifestyle. I found the non-traditional holiday/vac + health insurance offering extremely incompatible with my life - and expensive.
Pros
strong brand!
Cons
oppressive culture
Very productive and disciplined place to work.
Meat Department Team Member (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 25, 2014
-An average day as a meat department team member consisted of constant watch for customers and providing good service. Later in the day, we could move to the back rooms and start taking apart meat grinders and cleaning equipment and the facility.
-I learned various cooking techniques for different meats (poultry, bovine etc...),differences in meat cuts also how to clean meat grinders and smokehouses.
-The management was very strict, there was little to no room for error or laziness.
-The most difficult part of being a meat department team member was keeping up the Whole Foods standard (much higher than the average grocer).
-The most enjoyable part of being a meat department team member was meeting new co-workers. The staff at the store are very friendly and out-going.
Pros
the salary, co-workers
Cons
long hours, strict management, arrogant customers
A fun and challenging workplace, great energy and great people!
Trade Show Sales Consultant - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 17, 2014
Working with the team at Rallis Whole Foods is like working with your closest friends....the funniest ones you have. The owners work with you first-hand, are great at motivating you and even better and making sure you feel great about your successes. There is no quota pressure with this job but you have to work hard to make good sales - trade shows are potential clients walking by all the time and you have to keep your energy up to capture people's attention out of a crowd and sell them. The olive oil is delicious and is a great wellness and food product that you'll feel good about selling. I definitely recommend working for this company.
Pros
delicious, raw and nutritious olive oil
Cons
on your feet a lot - wear good shoes!
Positive environment with great management
Customer Service Rep/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 2, 2013
The environment was extremely positive as many employees, customers, and managers were always cheerful. My team and I worked very hard together at creating a positive experience for anyone and everyone just as everyone else seemed to do the same. The hardest part of the job remains to be working under pressure; certain times when you have more than 3 or 4 things that need to be done in such a short amount of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling attached to collaborating with my team and overcoming the stress of all the rushed duties.
Pros
long breaks, freedom during work
Cons
long shifts, small environment