Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews in Canada

Best job I've ever had
Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 6, 2016
My store was phenomenal when I started - incredible culture of learning, communication, and work/life balance. When the management switched over after the opening of another store, our new managers clearly didn't meld with the standard company culture, creating the culture you see every where else of fear, lack of communication, absentee management, and shoddy teambuilding.

However, the pay and benefits are great as well as the opportunity for advancement. Transferring to another department that the higher ups didn't pay as much attention to was incredibly rewarding.

Even with the negatives, I'd recommend working for the company, just not at the stores of Yorkville, Unionville, and, to an extent, Square One.
Pros
Team leaders, employees, are often great. Good benefits and pay.
Cons
Toxic upper management within stores.
Nice people, Draining Job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 20, 2015
Working at Whole Foods, the environment is very different from a regular job. You work among very outgoing individuals, and as a cashier, you must be comfortable striking up conversations with strangers. A typical shift is around 8 hours. Won't lie, it's very draining to be on your feet all day, but they make up for it by giving you breaks every two hours. It's also a very educational workplace because you meet a variety of people who are into the holistic lifestyle and they share (if you ask) their at-home remedies and what products and foods they consume regularly.
Management is pretty chill. I would say the hardest part of the job is the long hours, if you can handle being on your feet for a long period of the time then you should be fine.
Pros
20% employee discount
Cons
Long hours, Standing for too long
Fast paced, good chance for advancement, fun
Grocery Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Unionville, ONJuly 27, 2015
Plenty of opportunity for advancement if you work hard. Excellent learning environment and decent work life balance. Good benefits. Sometimes a little too much politics.
Pros
Benefits, Employee discount, competitive wage, travel
Cons
politics, work most weekends, lack of Canadian upper management/regional positions
Its a front....not ethical...i was told one thing and the reality was something different altogether
Prepare Foods Associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioJune 16, 2016
-as a company with a structure and general information guide...I was absolutely shocked with the way team leaders and team members carried themselves
-the vote-in thing was probably a good concept at one time but its gone off the rails obviously
-turn over was unreal
-people wanted to quit, step down to part time and transfer after 6 months
-favoring those who did not much for the business
-dept, hours were cut but secret call-ins were made to do favors
-poor conditions
-no supervision
-poor standards
-no follow through
-when members had issues they were threatened through back door tactics
-anyone would train you/ bully you/ snap on you for no reason
there was no real training
-if you got hurt there was no proper protocol and you were treated differently
-no gain sharing
-poorly managed in some dept's

-this was a company i researched and shopped at for years and the moment i signed up and got to the dept. i heard nothing but warnings and wonderment as to why i left what i did for that job by the team that i was hired into...nothing but complaints about how badly it was run as well
-will not buy food there ever again

it was a very unfortunate and disappointing experience....not nice
Good perks but don't go in it for the long haul
Front End Team Member, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 1, 2015
I would recommend this job for anybody who is all about organic food and healthy living, a student, or someone who needs some extra income, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I care about.

Good short term work. Starting pay is above minimum wage, you get 20% off everything in store and you can work that up to 30% off with healthy lifestyle choices. Coworkers are top notch people, you have to have two-thirds of the department vote yes to get the job. Health and dental for full-timers, gainsharing (pay bonuses) every two weeks gives you extra money based on your hours worked. Paid vacation for FT, plus 5 paid days off, and 5 non-paid days to spend time with family.

Downsides: while about 97% of the customers are generally great people, that leftover 3% is full of narcissistic, entitled, "me-me-me" attitude jerks who may eventually suck the life out of you; a lot of this job is about making that 3% happy, even if it comes at the expense of your own sanity. Also the work environment is generally geared towards who are the favourites. Doesn't matter how long you work there, people with less seniority can get promoted up and pay raises before you do.

I'm too lazy to keep going. Bottom line is it pays my bills, but I'm leaving soon.
Pros
20-30% discount, health & dental, paid vacation & days off
Cons
customers, favouritism
fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 24, 2016
a typical day would be a 8 hour shift with amazing customers who are curious about living a healthy life
what i learned? about the different types of foods there are
i had amazing co workers the place was a positive environment to work in
Perfect working environment
Prepared Food (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
I got Excellent team member, very helpful and friendly Team Leader, Awesome place to work. Very neat and tidy place.
Working with the friendly people is the best part.
Pros
Extremely helpful co- worker and Team Leader
Fun workplace
Customer Service Cashier/Supervisor - Started (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 3, 2016
You really get to know the customers and that was one of the best parts of working there. There is also a lot of room to grow in this company.
Balanced & knowledgeable team. Weak management.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 24, 2016
Fun, fast paced work environment with strong team member relationships as well as regular customer relationships. However, management needs some work.
this place sucks
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
takes advantage of workers.
can never get time off
they ask you to start early or stay later
get treated poorly
cultural racism
Pros
Cons
you sell your life to work at this job
Good workplace
Bakery/Coffee Bar Team Member (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCApril 4, 2016
fun, you learn something new everyday. you'll learn more about healthy eating and better products. hardest part of the job are long hours because they close at 11pm
Good working environment
Prepared Food Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 20, 2016
-Departments worked as a team
-Empowering. Team members were able to decide what needs to be accomplished first from their own judgement.
it was an ok place
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 25, 2016
Whole Foods was ok. it really helped me while I was going through chef's school. head chef was very helpful as were my co-workers. the only thing I didn't like was cleaning bakery mixers. big and heavy
Pros
refining chef skills
Cons
dishwashing
very welcoming work environment
stock and cashier (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BCMarch 9, 2016
Working at whole foods was a great learning experience as to they way things should be run, as well as setting a standard for the work you do.
Pros
great people
Very productive and disciplined place to work.
Meat Department Team Member (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 25, 2014
-An average day as a meat department team member consisted of constant watch for customers and providing good service. Later in the day, we could move to the back rooms and start taking apart meat grinders and cleaning equipment and the facility.
-I learned various cooking techniques for different meats (poultry, bovine etc...),differences in meat cuts also how to clean meat grinders and smokehouses.
-The management was very strict, there was little to no room for error or laziness.
-The most difficult part of being a meat department team member was keeping up the Whole Foods standard (much higher than the average grocer).
-The most enjoyable part of being a meat department team member was meeting new co-workers. The staff at the store are very friendly and out-going.
Pros
the salary, co-workers
Cons
long hours, strict management, arrogant customers
Team Member
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 8, 2016
Wholefoods market is quite a pleasant work environment and pays above the average customer service job. But it really depends on the manager and team you get. Mine is great.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2015
Working at Whole Foods was very good to keep up and make new customer service skills. Each day I was put to the task to interact and help customers.
Whole foods does not walk the talk
Team Memeber (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2015
The company claims to be value-driven. On their website they say that they follow eight core values.

In reality the only value that drives their business is profit. As a result they have poor employment practices and not the most environmentally friendly operations.

If you are looking to work in a value-driven company, stay away from Whole Foods. If you just need a pay check, then this place is all right.
It really is great
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 25, 2014
Whole Foods Market is not your typical store. You've meet all kinds of people. You hear all kinds of things. Everyday is unique to say the least. I have to say that I am completely blessed to work with the people that I work with. It's a family. How could it not be? You spend most of your life there. If you're comfortable going to work then you will enjoy going to work. That's always important. Creating a good relationship with a person you work with is so very important. Something I will always try to do.
I've been through absolutely everything that you can imagine.
Thanksgiving - all registers shut down. Can't be fixed. 500 people staring at you. What do you do? Whatever you can do. Sample, apologize, run around and accommodate as many people the best that you can. Pray that someone, somewhere is fixing the issue asap! We made it through that day somehow. I have to admit it was one of the best days of working there.
I've learned a lot about people, retail, management and myself. There's so much I feel like I can do in the world because not one person I have ever worked with in this company has ever told me I couldn't do it.
Pros
team members, fun events, discount, benefits, food, education
Mission is Their Driving Force
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 26, 2014
Overall, I give Whole Foods Market every bit of credit for elevating the value of sustainability. WFM changed the way we think about food; changed our buying habits and made some of us more conscientious about what we consume. Amazing!

Easy to do your job when every decision is measured against a strong company mission, quality standards and clear values. I really liked that about WFM.

Enjoyed reporting to the Regional President at the time - very empowering and made work fun. But odd culture; couldn't put my finger on it. Corruption. Smart, passionate people but some a bit two-faced.

My passion for being a contributor to the company's vision made me blind to some of the internal obstacles. I started out loving it and left with a bad taste in my mouth. In spite of it all, came away with invaluable skills and life lessons. Also learned a good deal about my professional boundaries.

I keep in touch with a few ex-pats who feel the same way.

P.S. Make sure the benefits they offer fit your lifestyle. I found the non-traditional holiday/vac + health insurance offering extremely incompatible with my life - and expensive.
Pros
strong brand!
Cons
oppressive culture