Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work with no incentive to make you want to stay.
Grocery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 June 2017
Terrible place to work no opportunity for advancement. Terrible pay. Lots of responsibility required with no incentive to stay. Managers sit in office while lower employees do all the work for very little pay.
Work is always appreciated and awarded
Prepared Food Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 May 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with. Workplace culture was very much about the alternative lifestyles and living healthy. Eating good food and pleasing the customer no matter what. While we believed very much in pleasing the customer management was not afraid to stand up for their employees if someone was being notoriously difficult and rude.
Pros
Appreciation for hardwork
Cons
Store Team Leader micromanaged
Too many mantras
Team Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 May 2017
Whole Foods has a million mantras and core values that they want you to breathe and live. It gets excessive and they're not practiced consistently. The wages are better than average but the pay raises were minimal and far between. Worked there for five years in two locations. Customers expect A LOT when shopping at the expensive store and are quick to complain if they feel they did not get the absolute BEST experience. Becomes exhausting to have to deliver the best customer service of your life with every individual. They took away employee perks over the years I was there, used to have sandwiches and soups pricing for employees and used to subsidize part of the bus pass. It's been sad to see the company go more corporate.
Good starting job for experience
Service team member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2017
Great team members to work with. Easy job no brainer. Lots of waste for an environmentally conscious company. Overworked in all departments of the store grocery, produce, meat and prepared. Management or team leaders as they are called are good too much pressure from higher up causes high stress environment where the bottom line is the highest concern not staff morale and safety.
Pros
Staff discounts 20% of products
Cons
Overpriced products without discount, underpay staff compared to competitiors
A fun and fast changing workplace
Perishable Buyer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 April 2017
A typical day at whole foods could be everything from mundane to hectic depending on what day of the week it was.
I learned much there about good organics and various other alternatives to almost any food group. The management at my particular location was sporadic and self serving leaving myself and my coworkers to our own devices to try and figure out all of the situations. It's a great environment as long as you have the understanding that almost all situations, the customers will come first.
Great!
Coffee Expert/Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2017
nice management
fun people
I felt taken care of
I didn't necessarily feel adequately trained but ultimately there were so many workshops, the training just took time
Whole Foods
Cook (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2017
The company is based on favoritism, and you need to build a good relationship with leaderships in the store you work. If leadership does not like you well, there is less chance that you will be promoted.
Excellent working atmosphere
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 March 2017
Great team
Excellent management
Transparency in work
Excellent work and life balance
Modest team leaders
Great motivation to grow further
Good working culture
good place to work as a part time student
Prepared Foods Team Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 March 2017
low pay
poor management
no team support
learning on your own and through mistakes
no structured training in place
under-appeciated
lack of awknowledgement
no care for employee morale

easy work
good co-workers
Great place to learn about Customer Experience
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2017
The teaching and emphasis that is placed on "Customer First" can be shocking to an outsider.
i.e.
Treat the customers as your guest
Don't point to where something is, walk them to it and show them (whether it be by walking to the other side of the store or close by)

It does feel repetitive and excessive, but after knowing HOW to give exceptional customer service, you are able to easily learn how to GET great customer service much more easily and just about anywhere you go.
Very welcoming work environment
Part-time grocery store cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2017
Whole Foods Market, Ottawa, has continuously demonstrated to be a fun, welcoming, supportive and exciting work environment. All of the team members and staff are very gracious and kind. The customers are pleasant, and I am always happy to be there. Management was great around a student schedule and always very accommodating to any needs.
Decent part time job
Front end customer service/cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 March 2017
Working as a cashier, you have to be able to handle working in a fast paced environment. WFM emphasis the importance of providing the best service to our customers and educating them on sustainable organic food options. However, management at this certain location was terrible and job retention was low. Be aware.
Pros
sometimes free food, employee appreciation
Cons
make you feel guilty to take extra shifts
nice place to work with
Deli Team Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 February 2017
Very Good company. Highly recommended to those individual who love customer service and fast pace environment. Good food and product but expensive.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No vacation on December
Great work environment and experience
Cook (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CT18 February 2017
I really enjoyed working at Whole Foods. Not only did I gain a lot of friends, I also gained a lot of experience working with different types of foods and different cooking practices. All of the staff were incredibly welcoming and supportive and I was very sad to leave. I usually worked the hot bar, but I enjoyed learning techniques about preparing food for people to later take home to cook. Allin all it was a great job.
Strong for career development
Supervisor, Store Support & Cash (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 February 2017
Provided excellent opportunities in growth, customer service and supervisory skills, and cash and data management skills. Lots of training provided on site in a variety (products, difficult situations and management).
Pros
competitive wage and benefits, flexible hours, opportunity to advance
Cons
Inconsistent communication
NIce people. Ethical company standard. Quality products.
Bakery Associate Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2017
Whole Foods is a great place to work. Good culture. It's not an easy job. A lot is expected of you and you have to make sure you are withing you targets or you have to explain why you didn't make it and then be on conference calls etc. Whole Foods concentrates on good customer service. trying to go above and beyond. which is not easy to do everyday.
Pros
Nice work culture. Ethical standards
Cons
Lots of emails!
Fun place to work but pay is too low to survive in Vancouver.
Specialty Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 February 2017
Good sense of community. Able to try new products and learn a lot about food products. Discount on any purchases made in store.
Cons
Low pay. Not much room for advancement.
Wide range of organic food knowledge
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, UK8 February 2017
My best part of my life was in Whole Foods Market since I joined as a team member and get promoted as a supervisor within a year time. I learned so many things from that job. Specially wide range of organic food varieties. Prepared foods and food processing and many more.

My leadership skill was start develop from Whole Foods Market. My store manager was a person I was following the way she was working. She was my inspiration to work hard and develop a career in a business like this.
Fun place to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
It has a very good work culture.They share profits with their employees.Most enjoyable part is discount you get on all good products.Management is also good.Co workers are very supportive.
Pros
Good work culture
Cons
Was a great place to work.
Food preparation team member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2017
Was the best places I ever worked. If I hadn't had to move out of province I would still be there. The people for the most part were great to work with and management were always open to working with any problems that might arise.
Pros
Employee moral is a core value
Cons
Pay could be tied to cost of living in more expensive markets.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whole Foods Market. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval