Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews in Canada

this place sucks
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
takes advantage of workers.
can never get time off
they ask you to start early or stay later
get treated poorly
cultural racism
Pros
Cons
you sell your life to work at this job
Good working environment
Prepared Food Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 20, 2016
-Departments worked as a team
-Empowering. Team members were able to decide what needs to be accomplished first from their own judgement.
Perfect working environment
Prepared Food (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2016
I got Excellent team member, very helpful and friendly Team Leader, Awesome place to work. Very neat and tidy place.
Working with the friendly people is the best part.
Pros
Extremely helpful co- worker and Team Leader
Good workplace
Bakery/Coffee Bar Team Member (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCApril 4, 2016
fun, you learn something new everyday. you'll learn more about healthy eating and better products. hardest part of the job are long hours because they close at 11pm
fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 24, 2016
a typical day would be a 8 hour shift with amazing customers who are curious about living a healthy life
what i learned? about the different types of foods there are
i had amazing co workers the place was a positive environment to work in
very welcoming work environment
stock and cashier (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BCMarch 9, 2016
Working at whole foods was a great learning experience as to they way things should be run, as well as setting a standard for the work you do.
Pros
great people
Fun workplace
Customer Service Cashier/Supervisor - Started (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 3, 2016
You really get to know the customers and that was one of the best parts of working there. There is also a lot of room to grow in this company.
it was an ok place
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 25, 2016
Whole Foods was ok. it really helped me while I was going through chef's school. head chef was very helpful as were my co-workers. the only thing I didn't like was cleaning bakery mixers. big and heavy
Pros
refining chef skills
Cons
dishwashing
Team Member
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 8, 2016
Wholefoods market is quite a pleasant work environment and pays above the average customer service job. But it really depends on the manager and team you get. Mine is great.
Best job I've ever had
Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 6, 2016
My store was phenomenal when I started - incredible culture of learning, communication, and work/life balance. When the management switched over after the opening of another store, our new managers clearly didn't meld with the standard company culture, creating the culture you see every where else of fear, lack of communication, absentee management, and shoddy teambuilding.

However, the pay and benefits are great as well as the opportunity for advancement. Transferring to another department that the higher ups didn't pay as much attention to was incredibly rewarding.

Even with the negatives, I'd recommend working for the company, just not at the stores of Yorkville, Unionville, and, to an extent, Square One.
Pros
Team leaders, employees, are often great. Good benefits and pay.
Cons
Toxic upper management within stores.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2015
Working at Whole Foods was very good to keep up and make new customer service skills. Each day I was put to the task to interact and help customers.
Nice people, Draining Job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 20, 2015
Working at Whole Foods, the environment is very different from a regular job. You work among very outgoing individuals, and as a cashier, you must be comfortable striking up conversations with strangers. A typical shift is around 8 hours. Won't lie, it's very draining to be on your feet all day, but they make up for it by giving you breaks every two hours. It's also a very educational workplace because you meet a variety of people who are into the holistic lifestyle and they share (if you ask) their at-home remedies and what products and foods they consume regularly.
Management is pretty chill. I would say the hardest part of the job is the long hours, if you can handle being on your feet for a long period of the time then you should be fine.
Pros
20% employee discount
Cons
Long hours, Standing for too long
Whole foods does not walk the talk
Team Memeber (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2015
The company claims to be value-driven. On their website they say that they follow eight core values.

In reality the only value that drives their business is profit. As a result they have poor employment practices and not the most environmentally friendly operations.

If you are looking to work in a value-driven company, stay away from Whole Foods. If you just need a pay check, then this place is all right.
Good perks but don't go in it for the long haul
Front End Team Member, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 1, 2015
I would recommend this job for anybody who is all about organic food and healthy living, a student, or someone who needs some extra income, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I care about.

Good short term work. Starting pay is above minimum wage, you get 20% off everything in store and you can work that up to 30% off with healthy lifestyle choices. Coworkers are top notch people, you have to have two-thirds of the department vote yes to get the job. Health and dental for full-timers, gainsharing (pay bonuses) every two weeks gives you extra money based on your hours worked. Paid vacation for FT, plus 5 paid days off, and 5 non-paid days to spend time with family.

Downsides: while about 97% of the customers are generally great people, that leftover 3% is full of narcissistic, entitled, "me-me-me" attitude jerks who may eventually suck the life out of you; a lot of this job is about making that 3% happy, even if it comes at the expense of your own sanity. Also the work environment is generally geared towards who are the favourites. Doesn't matter how long you work there, people with less seniority can get promoted up and pay raises before you do.

I'm too lazy to keep going. Bottom line is it pays my bills, but I'm leaving soon.
Pros
20-30% discount, health & dental, paid vacation & days off
Cons
customers, favouritism
Fast paced, good chance for advancement, fun
Grocery Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Unionville, ONJuly 27, 2015
Plenty of opportunity for advancement if you work hard. Excellent learning environment and decent work life balance. Good benefits. Sometimes a little too much politics.
Pros
Benefits, Employee discount, competitive wage, travel
Cons
politics, work most weekends, lack of Canadian upper management/regional positions
ONE OF THE BEST COMPANY TO WORK WITH
Customer Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2015
The company offers good benefit package plan that you cannot find everywhere, good environment to work with team members are very friendly .
Being productive at workplace and learned a lot from my job.
Preparedfoods Team member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 1, 2015
A typical day at work is, if we get busy which is the hardest part of my job but with the help of my co workers everything is under control. What i enjoyed much at work is everyone is open to help one another which in short team work is prevailing.
Pros
Gain sharing
Cons
need to work every sunday
Whole Foods was both a fun and supportive environment
Pasty Chef (Team Member) (Former Employee) –  Highway 7 Markham, ONApril 27, 2015
Whole Foods gives chances to many new employees in the way they recruit. I was one of those fortunate students lucky enough to be accepted by a large billion dollar company such as Whole Foods and gained much experience working there. The company has many meetings weekly to discuss certain safety and consumer tips. The Whole Foods Workplace also has an extremely friendly environment through the way their employees treat you the minute you walk in and when you leave. There were always smiles and small discussions and this promoted a very friendly, healthy, and supportive environment. Although my job there was terminated and not long lasting it was a pleasure to be given the opportunity and to have had the opportunity of working alongside such friendly people. It is not the kind of workplace where you would feel lesser than but instead always supported.
Pros
Very flexible hours/very negotiable, and willing to hire you even without experience
Cons
Expectations are very high and maintaining permanent employment is a difficult test to pass
Fun, inclusive environment
Specialty Dept., Barista/Wine&Cheese Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarkhamDecember 10, 2014
Whole Foods Market has taught me the skill that i find to be the most important in the workplace: teamwork. Everything about Whole Foods is team oriented, from upper management to storefront employees. My co-workers were great, and we all mesched together as a team with little to no arguments. Management was superior and made each day go by quickly. I loved the fact that i could provide customers with the best service of any grocery store and also being able to represent a company that is recognized globally for their global outlook.
Pros
set hours
Cons
dealing with angry customers
challenging and friendly people to worked with.
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 8, 2014
Whole Foods Market from Oakville Ontario that I worked for 3 years as a Customer Service Cashier is a very unique and challenging working place. The schedule is very flexible. Typical of work is exciting and can test your customer service skills. They also gave us training and give new information about all the products that we have in store. As a team member we worked as a team and we helped as a team,this is what we called in our store Team Member.
Pros
free courses.free samples
Cons
worked for 8hours