The Whitecap Dakota First Nation, located 26 kilometers south of Saskatoon, requires the services of a Director of Finance. This is a full-time, permanent position. The Director of Finance will be responsible for and accountable to Council for the overall management of Band finances.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Director of Finance will:
Manage the operations of the Band’s Finance Department including the supervision of all finance staff;
Monitor compliance with any agreements and funding arrangements entered into by the Band;
Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in an accurate and timely manner on administration and program operational budgets;
Ensure the Band’s financial statements are accurate, kept up-to-date and prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles;
Be responsible for the review and verification of the accuracy of bank statements, bank deposits and bank reconciliations on a monthly basis;
Be responsible for the review and verification of the accuracy of other monthly account reconciliations;
Provide monthly accounts payable list, along with substantiating documentation, to Council for approval for payment;
Ensure that internal financial controls, policies, procedures are appropriately designed and operating effectively and are monitored;
Assist external auditors with the annual financial audit;
Represent the Band in financial negotiations with financial institutions, government agencies, departments and private business as required;
Act as the tax administrator for the purposes of the Band’s property tax law; and
Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
[A complete job description is available upon request.]
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Professional Accounting Designation: CMA, CGA or CA
- Security & Safety Clearance: Bondable, Criminal Record Check, Credit Check
- 10 years relevant experience; previous experience working with First Nation communities would be an asset;
- Supervisory experience;
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, communication skills and deadline driven;
- Understanding of Federal transfer agreements and reporting procedures;
- Experience working with auditors and facilitating annual finance audits;
- Accreditation as a First Nations tax administrator is preferred; and
- Well-developed computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment including Excel along with skills in database management, including ACCPAC for windows.
SALARY: Based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is provided.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, October 11th, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.
SUBMIT COVER LETTER AND RESUME (INCLUDING REFERENCES) TO:
c/o S. Caisse
Whitecap Dakota First Nation
182 Chief Whitecap Trail
Whitecap SK S7K 2L2
Fax: (306) 374-5899
We thank all applicants and wish to advise that only those individuals that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.