White Spot Employee Reviews in Canada

Amazing work environment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 27, 2016
At White Spot its always busy whether we are making food or stocking up for a rush. The people i work with are awesome! They are funny but professional keeping the atmosphere happy but serious . Management is good but could be better.(though i do understand that management has to deal with everything making their job tough). The best part of the job is creating many delicious dishes for our guests. On the other hand the toughest part would not becoming overwhelmed by the guests' requests when we get super busy. We are able to manage with the help of the kitchen leader, though.
great place to start
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 16, 2016
good place to start, easy kitchen to learn, strong staff
good pay. long hours on your feet.
job security was good, room for advancement.
Chef Assistant
White Spot Chef assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 30, 2016
As a passionate student studying at Simon Fraser University, I was very happy to become a chef assistant at White Spot for a short period of time as part of my work experience for Science Co-op (a course from secondary school). This was an important opportunity for myself because white spot didn't just give me one role like fry fries, but instead, they taught me how to make a lot of the dishes on the menu which will be an asset in the future when I apply to Le cordon bleu - one of my future goals (culinary school).
Pros
Free lunches
hard place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCOctober 26, 2015
Decent work place with bad mangaement. Very hard to get a wage increase due to the fact the establishment is cheap.
Long hours may even be extended through the night in order to close kitchen.
Pros
food
Cons
managment and long hours
productive and fun place to work
Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 2, 2016
I myself enjoy each and every shift of mine working over there with the great team and great work culture. I would recommend this organisation for my friends and colleague if anybody wants to work over here.
Comfortable work environment with friendly, helpful staff
Host (Former Employee) –  VancouverSeptember 18, 2015
Starting between the breakfast and lunch rushes made the mornings fast passed. I'd need to switch over the menus, help servers clear and set their sections all while greeting and seating guests and answering the phone to take travel orders. Management would be flitting between the front and back of house depending on where they were needed most throughout the day. The transition between lunch and dinner service was very similar but brought a younger, more lively staff, higher volume of people and more energetic work environment.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flow that the entire staff had with each other, the front staff and kitchen staff listened and worked together to make sure guests had the best experience possible.
The hardest part about this job would have to be knowing the difference between maintaining restaurant policy and being flexible with guests. It could get confusing when something was acceptable once but not every time and likewise when something was unacceptable or not.
Fast paced job, great team atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCJanuary 19, 2016
Learned problem solving skills with both staff and guests. Assisted and trained staff in all areas of the restaurant. In charge of all inventory management.
Cons
high stress environment.
white spot
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJanuary 27, 2016
a typical day is very fast pace
i have learned to handle stress really well
the management is amazing
it is like a big family, everybody gets along
Pros
free food
Cons
almost no hours
Dishwasher/Line-Cook (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaApril 25, 2016
White Spot is a great place to work, everyone there always has a smile on there face and love working there. no matter what you do you will always be trained to the fullest and always have the option to ask someone for help.
Cons
not enough hours
Fun and Very Fast Paced
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2015
My Favorite part was serving the customers and providing them with the best customer service. I made sure my customers always left with a smile. It was nice to see regular customers coming back.The food is also very delicious at White Spot.
fun and the hours went quickly
Server (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCNovember 11, 2015
Loved working with the White Spot Family. I gained experience working with computerized food ordering system. Great atmosphere and a place I take my family to eat often
Pros
great staff
Cons
slow days were very slow
FAST PACED ENVIRONMENT
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BCApril 27, 2015
As a restaurant manager, I was responsible for making sure the shifts ran smoothly.
Helping servers when it got busy or jumping in the kitchen to assist and help them catch up.
It was personally a very rewarding career, very much enjoyed my staff and customers.
Just needed something with higher pay.
Pros
Free lunch for managers
Cons
long hours, very high repsonsibility
na
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCNovember 18, 2015
Enjoyed working and dealing with guests
The staff was good to work with
enjoyed the food
Work was close to home so it was a short commute
Good start up highschool/post-secondary job
Carhop (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaJuly 16, 2015
"Customers are always right" policy will screw you over sometimes.
Good job while you're going to school, flexible hours, however the money is a give and take in terms of tips. Have to be detailed oriented when taking orders and knowledgable about the menu in order to do well.
Pros
Free non-alcoholic drinks, 15% employee discount at other locations
Cons
Money (tips) are never guranteed
great people
Host (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMarch 16, 2015
My day consisted of greeting customers as they entered the restaurant and bringing them to an appropriate table and bringing them their drink orders. I was also in charge of taking take-out orders and preparing them. Keeping the tables and entire restaurant clean was another duty of mine.
I was even "promoted" to helping out busy servers meaning that I served autonomously several tables (I was supposed to be training to become a server myself but I moved to Edmonton to study at the university there).
The only downside of working there was the constant fluctuation of waves upon waves of customers entering followed by quietness of only a couple customers entering, although this was also a nice way to alleviate the stress.
Pros
meeting many new people
Cons
fluctuation of stress and quietness
Great enviroment
Hostess/ Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Surrey BC PanoramaApril 30, 2015
As a hostess I greet and seat people. I have my side duties (bussing tables, rolls ups, wiping menus, etc.) I have learned a lot working here at white spot, from leadership to great customer service skills. Working here is great and a fun environment. The hardest part i would probably say is when the restaurant gets busy and when customers get frustrated, but in the end i always manage that situation well. The most part i enjoy about this job is meeting ne people and interacting with them.
Easy tasks and very productive.
Hostess & Room Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Mornings are usually busy and then it slows down after 1pm until about dinner time around 5-6pm. I learned how to do room service for the first time. As for co-workers and management, I didn't mind them but had some issues personally with one of the managers. Hardest part was collecting all the room service trays on every floor because you have to do many trips back and forth with a heavy cart. I enjoyed it because I made some friends there which made it easier to work there.
Fun and productive
Dishwasher/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  nananimo bc WoodgroveMay 5, 2015
I loved working at this job, the staff is very polite and helpful. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful on the job. The hardest part was not spending time with my family when I was almost working 7 days a week. But it was all worth it and learning everything everyday.
Pros
Having breaks
Cons
Having some other person taking my shift when I done them a favor by taking theres when needed
Backbones are highly recommended.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BCJanuary 12, 2015
I am a very polite lady and I like to feel mutual respect from bosses, employees, and serve our guests to the best of our ability.

Sometimes people just aren't 'mean' like they're expected to be...

-A typical day at work: Tense feelings everywhere, long days, no life.
-What I learned: How to do Cash Deposits, check lists, delivered food to unhappy guests a couple times, and helped in different areas through out the day. Mostly dishes though.
-My co-workers: Some were awesome most were fake; Some of them appeared to believe in team work and some treated the new managers ignorantly .
The rules are differerent compared to Houston Pizza Normanview - an awesome place to work...
- The hardest part of the job was: Cooking. I never was a fan of cooking...
-The enjoyable part of the day: 3-5 pm The first rush is over during my 10-7 or 11-8 shift. Dinner set-up looks good and I like the feeling at 4 pm when guests start arriving to eat dinner.
Fun and lots of advancement but poor wages
LINE COOK & PREP COOK (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCOctober 9, 2014
A typical day at White Spot would consist of Line station set up, lunch/ dinner rush, then Line station close. Organization is crucial for success on the job. Management is fairly understanding but occasionally lackluster and slow to act. Wonderful people, very entertaining and very amusing characters in the work place. Hardest part about the job is handling the stressful situations and hours that come with working in a kitchen. Most enjoyable part of the job is actually preparing dishes without the pressure of the dinner or lunch rush.
Pros
cheap staff meals, enjoyable staff and understanding management
Cons
short shifts, high stress environment and poor wages