White Spot Employee Reviews

A great challenge, however beneficial.
Head Grill (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC21 October 2016
I learned a lot working here from my own attitude to managing a team. The management was very cruel at times depending on the manager during the shift. I learned to deal with it so we could get through high volume services. The kitchen staff always varied from lazy to caring. The serving staff was not managed well and during high volume times they would take all of their tables orders before running anything into the systems causing a whiteout that wasn't necessary. Criticism aside I did like m team; they listened to my leadership and we survived. The hardest part of this job was the poor management; from the abuse to lack of control it made my job as the head cook a struggle some nights. The best part of my job was training young cooks and seeing them do great work and be part of the team.
Pros
Experience in training and managing a team.
Cons
Poor management and poor pay.
Nice place to work, not good people
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 October 2016
Decent place to work, decent food, and a decent location, but self righteous customers who have an attitude seemingly being entitled to things right when they want, management who isn't objective enough, and immature colleagues made this place more of a burden to go to than an enjoyable place.
Productive and fun workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2016
The people that work there are awesome and the management is very nice and helpful. Sometimes its difficult to keep a cool level head with some customers, also is a fun place to work.
This was an amazing place to work at.
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC28 November 2016
Great management
Awesome people to work with
Many different types of people
Everyone I worked with had very positive attitudes
I learned how to prep certain foods
Pros
anytime i needed time off they had no problem with it
Cons
hours were either too high or to low
good first job. not a career.
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC26 November 2016
The job is easy but you are forced to work overtime when its busy and you have no say. The management doesn't care about your life style as in they can force you to work and they don't care if you request days off they only wanna benefit there business and not your life.
Very good workplace with amazing people but the management sometimes lacked.
Lead Server (Current Employee) –  Guildford, BC13 August 2016
My job as a server includes dealing with a plethora of people from all different walks of life. Sometimes the most challenging part is maintaining a cool level head with not only guests but also with co workers and management.
Good workplace but managment is lacking
Lead Server (Current Employee) –  Guildford, BC7 September 2016
The people that work there are amazing but the management definitely needs some improvement. it was a good place to work!
take experience and leave
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC17 June 2016
locations are very busy most of the year . Some locations are unionized and some are not . Long working hours , growth is minimum . Favoritism is a part of the scene . Good to take experience and go for better oppurtunities
Pros
free food for management
Cons
busy, groupism, favouritism
server (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC30 May 2016
This is a fun place to work I learned a lot about suggestive selling, staff and management all fun to work with. The guest are the most enjoyable.
Pros
staff meal discount
Cons
to short of hous
Amazing work environment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC27 February 2016
At White Spot its always busy whether we are making food or stocking up for a rush. The people i work with are awesome! They are funny but professional keeping the atmosphere happy but serious . Management is good but could be better.(though i do understand that management has to deal with everything making their job tough). The best part of the job is creating many delicious dishes for our guests. On the other hand the toughest part would not becoming overwhelmed by the guests' requests when we get super busy. We are able to manage with the help of the kitchen leader, though.
Chef Assistant
White Spot Chef assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC30 May 2016
As a passionate student studying at Simon Fraser University, I was very happy to become a chef assistant at White Spot for a short period of time as part of my work experience for Science Co-op (a course from secondary school). This was an important opportunity for myself because white spot didn't just give me one role like fry fries, but instead, they taught me how to make a lot of the dishes on the menu which will be an asset in the future when I apply to Le cordon bleu - one of my future goals (culinary school).
Pros
Free lunches
great place to start
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 January 2016
good place to start, easy kitchen to learn, strong staff
good pay. long hours on your feet.
job security was good, room for advancement.
productive and fun place to work
Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 March 2016
I myself enjoy each and every shift of mine working over there with the great team and great work culture. I would recommend this organisation for my friends and colleague if anybody wants to work over here.
Dishwasher/Line-Cook (Current Employee) –  British Columbia25 April 2016
White Spot is a great place to work, everyone there always has a smile on there face and love working there. no matter what you do you will always be trained to the fullest and always have the option to ask someone for help.
Cons
not enough hours
Fast paced job, great team atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC19 January 2016
Learned problem solving skills with both staff and guests. Assisted and trained staff in all areas of the restaurant. In charge of all inventory management.
Cons
high stress environment.
white spot
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC27 January 2016
a typical day is very fast pace
i have learned to handle stress really well
the management is amazing
it is like a big family, everybody gets along
Pros
free food
Cons
almost no hours
Comfortable work environment with friendly, helpful staff
Host (Former Employee) –  Vancouver18 September 2015
Starting between the breakfast and lunch rushes made the mornings fast passed. I'd need to switch over the menus, help servers clear and set their sections all while greeting and seating guests and answering the phone to take travel orders. Management would be flitting between the front and back of house depending on where they were needed most throughout the day. The transition between lunch and dinner service was very similar but brought a younger, more lively staff, higher volume of people and more energetic work environment.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flow that the entire staff had with each other, the front staff and kitchen staff listened and worked together to make sure guests had the best experience possible.
The hardest part about this job would have to be knowing the difference between maintaining restaurant policy and being flexible with guests. It could get confusing when something was acceptable once but not every time and likewise when something was unacceptable or not.
FAST PACED ENVIRONMENT
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC27 April 2015
As a restaurant manager, I was responsible for making sure the shifts ran smoothly.
Helping servers when it got busy or jumping in the kitchen to assist and help them catch up.
It was personally a very rewarding career, very much enjoyed my staff and customers.
Just needed something with higher pay.
Pros
Free lunch for managers
Cons
long hours, very high repsonsibility
hard place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 October 2015
Decent work place with bad mangaement. Very hard to get a wage increase due to the fact the establishment is cheap.
Long hours may even be extended through the night in order to close kitchen.
Pros
food
Cons
managment and long hours
Fun and fast paced environment
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Parksville, BC10 September 2013
A typical day at work was at times stressful but I tend to like that sort of environment as it causes people to work harder and faster to get the job done. All of my co workers were amazing to work with, management on the other hand could have been a bit more into their job.
Pros
good people
Cons
not enough staff and incentive from the managers