White Spot Employee Reviews

Good place to gain experience in the kitchen
Line Cook and Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 October 2017
Normally you have to be 15 mins early before your shift and it gets busy a lot of times. I learned that you have to love your work or else it doesn't feel right. Management was okay, they aren't the best because they basically don't care about you. Example was I carried a milk crate which is 20L of milk and they didn't care if I might not be able to carry it. I basically had a hard time and got myself mildly injured but they didn't care. Workplace, other cooks were very friendly and will help you a lot. Mostly younger cooks but older cooks... some will treat you like poo. Hardest part is when the restaurant gets busy. Also the communication of the team. Let's say you don't understand the way they speak english to you. Most enjoyable is you get to have some good friends/ co-cooks/ co-workers.
Pros
experience, 60% off employee meal
Cons
smelly after work, busy times, union fees
Working at White Spot as a first job
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 September 2017
Working as a host at whitespot is a perfect first job as it teaches many valuable skills such as how to seat, taking payments, taking orders, using the machines, ect. Would recommend as a first job as it is quite easy and they hire almost everyone which applies as a host, no experience needed. Management was good and granted all requested days off and was very flexible.
Pros
5 dollar meals when working, free drinks
Cons
short breaks
Not a good experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 September 2017
very poor work environment. other wait staff are very fun but management is horrible and do not treat employees with respect. you will be overworked and not appreciated. the morale is not good and it is also poorly staffed.
Team was ok, management need to learn how to deal with people
Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 September 2017
White Spot team was hard at the beginning, since it was my first job in Canada. After we became work friends and I had an awesome experience. Although the managers at this location were the worse. If the server gets a bad review, it's his/her fought, the manager doesn't even care if the server was by him/herself with a busy section. They had unfair rules to do the schedule, and cut down hours or put servers at the front desk without even ask if was ok.
Pros
Good discount for staff meal.
Amazing job experienced
Server (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB13 September 2017
Working with the same customers allowed me to create a friendship, and close bond with those seen regularily. It was a great experience that taught myself I strongly enjoy working with others to ensure the smile remains on ones face.
great place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC14 August 2017
working with at risk and high risk youth was the hardest job i have ever had because i had to find out what the youths need were and how to help them with their needs
Horrible Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC6 August 2017
Don't take a position here if you like being treated poorly by management. Coworkers are easy to get along with. The menu is decent, but not spectacular.
Pros
Meal Discount.
Cons
Horrible management.
Productive and fun work environment
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 August 2017
Really like it here. Very family like culture and for most part co-workers are great.Customers are great and most are regular regulars.Management is very flexible and will work with you as much as possible if needing days off, etc
88th
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
hours cut back when slow.
cool
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC28 July 2017
fairly good environment a few safety issues but they've been dealt with which is good and also it was a union shop which was cool and also kinda rare
white spot
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 July 2017
white spot is a crazy place to work everything can go wrong at a single notice and i have to be the one to fix it while keeping everyone coordinated. I had the privilege of working for white spot in a kitchen leader role in my free time, where I learned valuable professional skills such as complaint resolution, customer satisfaction, and food preparation.
Pros
Cons
worked off an old system
Very stressful work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  BC30 June 2017
Working at whitespot was fine until it wasn't. The managers put immense stress on you for better check averages, better guest reviews, and higher sales. This is all fine except they use that to control your shifts, and if somehow they find you are sub-par they will either demote you to hostess or take away all of your shifts. The management is poorly organized, more often than not understaffing busy nights and leaving servers often with 10+ tables at a time. They are always trying to cut down on hours to save money and send people home early, leaving the closing server with a huge workload. The managers are lazy and are not always around to help, even when you need them. I have been working at whitespot for over 4 years and it has continued to go downhill. The turnover rate is higher than any other place I've seen, with intimidating and downright mean managers scaring people away. The upside to working here is that my coworkers are fabulous, we all became very close friends.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Long shifts, few breaks, stressful
Perfect for students.
Server Lead (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC30 June 2017
White is a good place to work if you are a student looking for a part-time job. If you desire to work in any sort of restaurant it is important that you are able to work in a high stress environment as well as able to multi task smoothly.
good experience
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC23 June 2017
It was a good place to learn new skills and meet new people. The management made me feel welcome. They were very flexible if I needed a day off and they worked with my schedule.
Pros
one level building and easily accessible
Cons
wage was low
Unorganised
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2017
My branch had a bunch of high school students who'd flirt with each other and stuff. I didn't go to their high school so I didn' feel that welcome into the environment.
Pros
free food
Cons
high schoolers
More like working with your best friends.
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC2 May 2017
This unit worked as a family. We knew how the others thought and where a tight nit group.
Awesome managment who kept their employees up to date on all changes.
Sad to see this location go.
Fast paced, fun working environment
Host, Expeditor, Bartender, Server, Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC19 April 2017
Fun, fast paced hospitality environment requiring exceptional customer service experience. Friendly staff, great management, wage is average, lots of room to grow with the team!
Good To work with
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2017
Good Company to work with. Awesome people! Staff are very friendly and they are very accommodating in terms of work environment. Easy to work and communicate with your managers or supervisor
Not the best place to work at.
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC11 April 2017
I had a terrible experience working here. I was over loaded with tasks and was taken advantage of because i was so young. The head cook showed little to no respect towards me. I was supposed to apprentice under him, but he decided shortly after hiring me, that he did not want to anymore. 2 of the 4 managers liked me and helped me as much as they could along the way
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Enjoyable
Hostess/Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC8 April 2017
While working at White Spot (hostess/bartender/server), I've inherited multiple traits. I've learned how to multi-task and communicate with customers extremely well. The staff treated me exceptionally well and so was the overall environment.
To the Old Boston Pizza that is no more.
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2017
It was a great place to work. there was always regulars in the bar or the lounge. A lot of the staff not only had great working relationships,but they also had great friendships outside of work as well.
It was a great opportunity to start from a server their with no prior experience to eventually work my way up to a management position that played a strong role in the front of house operations.
The hardest part about the job was knowing that it was shutting down and that in order to still work close to where I lived at the time I would have to switch jobs.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
2 other Boston Pizzas within a 5 minute drive in either direction