White Spot Employee Reviews in Canada

Amazing work environment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 27, 2016
At White Spot its always busy whether we are making food or stocking up for a rush. The people i work with are awesome! They are funny but professional keeping the atmosphere happy but serious . Management is good but could be better.(though i do understand that management has to deal with everything making their job tough). The best part of the job is creating many delicious dishes for our guests. On the other hand the toughest part would not becoming overwhelmed by the guests' requests when we get super busy. We are able to manage with the help of the kitchen leader, though.
great place to start
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 16, 2016
good place to start, easy kitchen to learn, strong staff
good pay. long hours on your feet.
job security was good, room for advancement.
Chef Assistant
White Spot Chef assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 30, 2016
As a passionate student studying at Simon Fraser University, I was very happy to become a chef assistant at White Spot for a short period of time as part of my work experience for Science Co-op (a course from secondary school). This was an important opportunity for myself because white spot didn't just give me one role like fry fries, but instead, they taught me how to make a lot of the dishes on the menu which will be an asset in the future when I apply to Le cordon bleu - one of my future goals (culinary school).
Pros
Free lunches
productive and fun place to work
Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 2, 2016
I myself enjoy each and every shift of mine working over there with the great team and great work culture. I would recommend this organisation for my friends and colleague if anybody wants to work over here.
Very good workplace with amazing people but the management sometimes lacked.
Lead Server (Current Employee) –  Guildford, BCAugust 13, 2016
My job as a server includes dealing with a plethora of people from all different walks of life. Sometimes the most challenging part is maintaining a cool level head with not only guests but also with co workers and management.
take experience and leave
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCJune 17, 2016
locations are very busy most of the year . Some locations are unionized and some are not . Long working hours , growth is minimum . Favoritism is a part of the scene . Good to take experience and go for better oppurtunities
Pros
free food for management
Cons
busy, groupism, favouritism
Fast paced job, great team atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCJanuary 19, 2016
Learned problem solving skills with both staff and guests. Assisted and trained staff in all areas of the restaurant. In charge of all inventory management.
Cons
high stress environment.
white spot
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJanuary 27, 2016
a typical day is very fast pace
i have learned to handle stress really well
the management is amazing
it is like a big family, everybody gets along
Pros
free food
Cons
almost no hours
Dishwasher/Line-Cook (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaApril 25, 2016
White Spot is a great place to work, everyone there always has a smile on there face and love working there. no matter what you do you will always be trained to the fullest and always have the option to ask someone for help.
Cons
not enough hours
Comfortable work environment with friendly, helpful staff
Host (Former Employee) –  VancouverSeptember 18, 2015
Starting between the breakfast and lunch rushes made the mornings fast passed. I'd need to switch over the menus, help servers clear and set their sections all while greeting and seating guests and answering the phone to take travel orders. Management would be flitting between the front and back of house depending on where they were needed most throughout the day. The transition between lunch and dinner service was very similar but brought a younger, more lively staff, higher volume of people and more energetic work environment.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the flow that the entire staff had with each other, the front staff and kitchen staff listened and worked together to make sure guests had the best experience possible.
The hardest part about this job would have to be knowing the difference between maintaining restaurant policy and being flexible with guests. It could get confusing when something was acceptable once but not every time and likewise when something was unacceptable or not.
server (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 30, 2016
This is a fun place to work I learned a lot about suggestive selling, staff and management all fun to work with. The guest are the most enjoyable.
Pros
staff meal discount
Cons
to short of hous
hard place to work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCOctober 26, 2015
Decent work place with bad mangaement. Very hard to get a wage increase due to the fact the establishment is cheap.
Long hours may even be extended through the night in order to close kitchen.
Pros
food
Cons
managment and long hours
FAST PACED ENVIRONMENT
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BCApril 27, 2015
As a restaurant manager, I was responsible for making sure the shifts ran smoothly.
Helping servers when it got busy or jumping in the kitchen to assist and help them catch up.
It was personally a very rewarding career, very much enjoyed my staff and customers.
Just needed something with higher pay.
Pros
Free lunch for managers
Cons
long hours, very high repsonsibility
Fun and Very Fast Paced
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2015
My Favorite part was serving the customers and providing them with the best customer service. I made sure my customers always left with a smile. It was nice to see regular customers coming back.The food is also very delicious at White Spot.
fun and the hours went quickly
Server (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCNovember 11, 2015
Loved working with the White Spot Family. I gained experience working with computerized food ordering system. Great atmosphere and a place I take my family to eat often
Pros
great staff
Cons
slow days were very slow
na
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCNovember 18, 2015
Enjoyed working and dealing with guests
The staff was good to work with
enjoyed the food
Work was close to home so it was a short commute
Fun and fast paced environment
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Parksville, BCSeptember 10, 2013
A typical day at work was at times stressful but I tend to like that sort of environment as it causes people to work harder and faster to get the job done. All of my co workers were amazing to work with, management on the other hand could have been a bit more into their job.
Pros
good people
Cons
not enough staff and incentive from the managers
Fun and lots of advancement but poor wages
LINE COOK & PREP COOK (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCOctober 9, 2014
A typical day at White Spot would consist of Line station set up, lunch/ dinner rush, then Line station close. Organization is crucial for success on the job. Management is fairly understanding but occasionally lackluster and slow to act. Wonderful people, very entertaining and very amusing characters in the work place. Hardest part about the job is handling the stressful situations and hours that come with working in a kitchen. Most enjoyable part of the job is actually preparing dishes without the pressure of the dinner or lunch rush.
Pros
cheap staff meals, enjoyable staff and understanding management
Cons
short shifts, high stress environment and poor wages
Easy tasks and very productive.
Hostess & Room Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Mornings are usually busy and then it slows down after 1pm until about dinner time around 5-6pm. I learned how to do room service for the first time. As for co-workers and management, I didn't mind them but had some issues personally with one of the managers. Hardest part was collecting all the room service trays on every floor because you have to do many trips back and forth with a heavy cart. I enjoyed it because I made some friends there which made it easier to work there.
Im a cook in the kitchen.
(Fry) Cook in the kitchen (Current Employee) –  BurnabyJune 26, 2013
a typical day at work would be , I com in get dressed wash my hands and start setting up my station so that the shift runs smoothly.
for the shift to run smoothly I need to prep items and get ahead of clean up. also I always need to stay focused so I don't mess up the orders.
I've learned how to pay more attention to detail and to move quickly and get things done efficiently.
the management is very helpful and understanding.
the co-workers are amazing and real fun to work with. some of the most funniest people I've come across.
the hardest parts are during rush hours, when I have to memorize orders in my head and get them done in time, but im good with it now.
the best part of the job is knowing that what I make and serve is being enjoyed by someone out there and it gives me satisfaction and makes me keep striving to do my best.