WestJet Airlines Employee Reviews

Management needs a change
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2016
WestJet used to be a great place to work. When management still cared about their employees and actually supported the employees. The company has gotten too big too quick and the happiness that used to be going to work is no longer there.
Pros
Travel, health benefits, salary
Cons
management
Great progressive company culture that cares and feels like a family with one mission
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 1, 2015
- WestJet is a canadian top employer offering lots of opportunity to move and develop yourself as an employee
- Built on Excellent core values hiring for fit and training for skill!
- Profitable company that shares profits with it's employees (Owners) twice per year.
- Great travel benefits
- Fun place to work
- Growing and expanding company, Europe 2016
- Great culture to be a part of makes you proud to work there
- They truly do care about you as an individual and the company invests in you which makes you want to give back and do as much as you can to see it succeed.
- it can get tough working in airports, shift work, long hours at times, accommodating weather delays and a variety of emotions from the guests. But it's an opportunity to shine and treat others as you would want to be treated! You are empowered to think on your own feet because your interests are aligned with the company's through ownership and simple caring.
- I very much valued my experience with this company and still feel a part of it now.
Pros
Benefits, Travel, Profit Share, Flexible hours, lots of variety to grow, expanding company, great culture that values its people
Cons
shift work depending on what department, time away from home, must put in the time to earn your way to advancement, hard to get hired as it's a popular place to work
Living The Dream
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMarch 9, 2016
A typical workk day includes great conversation with my team and guests in a comfortable, condident environment. I have learned to communicate with anyone and everyone and to problem solve professionally and quicly in high stress situations. I can manage my time well and work effectively with my team as well as unsupervised. My co-workers are a lot of fun and we all share the same goals, providing superior customer service and safetly performing on time. The hardest part of my job is problem solving with difficult people, however, I enjoy it and am successful at it...9 times out of 10...The most enjoyable part of my job is a succesful turn with happy guest and happy co-workers.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Cut Backs and Salary Freeze
Flight benefits
Sales Supper Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 27, 2016
-Start my day by logging into my computer from home.

-I learn so much through the call center. Anywhere from booking, canceling, guest calling about guidelines on flight. Dealing with guest getting mad a you, crying and some have fun with you.

-Management is good, by boss is always willing to help me out in away possibly.

-Co-workers are great. The one time every 3 months you go in for a meeting we have smiles on our faces, and they are always willing to help each other out.

-The hardest part would be working from home. I could be in my place and not leave for 3 days and the interaction with other people.

-The enjoyable part is the benefits can not go wrong with them.
Pros
Great perks on flights
Cons
Being on the phone none stop for 7hrs minus your breaks and lunch
Good work environment; great people!
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2016
As a DBA at WestJet, I was involved in installing database software on servers, creating databases for various applications, setting up regular maintenance and patching, and troubleshooting any issues.

Worked closely with Data Centre operations and Network people to ensure optimal performance and high availability. Also spent a good amount of time with application support personnel and software developers to optimize application performance. Most of the folks I worked with were enthusiastic, skilled and professional.

I enjoyed my time at WestJet from start to finish. I loved the work but it was the great bunch of people there that made it special.
amazing co workers great benefits shift work.
Baggage service agent (Current Employee) –  calgary international airportOctober 10, 2015
Amazing Job fun place to work at times supportive management.Decent amount of red tape and politics that is expected with a small comapny that is now grown to international proportions. Shift work is hard. to be honest and not fo rthe faint of heart. as the business is a 24 hour operation.
Pros
flight benefits.
bad practice bad rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 14, 2016
First off this review is in my opinion.

The company has a rather rapey reputation. Flying flight attendants out and having your way with them not good practice.
Also there new method of hiring is cruel at best. They bring in groups of people (around 20) and tell them they are hiring for jobs when they have zero openings and they keep doing this to build a 6 month pool of many people for no jobs and tell you to drop what your doing if they accept you at any point in time within the 6 months.
They have very slightly manipulative management that seem quite childish.
Pros
cheap flights
Cons
nightmare management
Fun
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day at work was checking in guests for flights, helping with flights, bridging aircrafts. I learned how to really deal with people and how much fun you can have at a workplace. My management team I found unsupportive which is why I left. My coworkers were amazing! The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who you couldn't help due to flight schedule, when someone had died and they couldn't get a flight out. That was heartbreaking. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting a lot of new people and having fun!
Great team environment, with freedom to move up.
Turn Around Crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Westjet is known to be one of the best employers in Canada, and my experience is one that speaks truly to that. At Westjet you feel taken care of and looked after, you are part of a family. There is lots of room to move up in the company, the benefits are obviously amazing. The pay is alright, but the Westjet stock makes up for the average wage. Hardest part about the job would be working with Turn Around Crew, you don't often get to engage with customers directly so it can be hard if you aim to please customers. The hours can be wonky, but it's the airlines, what can you expect?
Pros
flight benefits, room to move up, stocks
Cons
Hours
Attitude is Everything!
Guest Services Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ONMarch 23, 2016
My current position is a Monday - Friday, 9-5 which I enjoy very much.
I get along well on a team or working alone.

I love working with Retirement & seniors.
My management team is great!

The only reason I would leave this company is to move up to a better role, & learn more.

Get work done & have fun while doing it!
Treat everyone how you want to be treated.
Very fun, team oriented and very supportuve
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
Shift work, early mornings, evenings, weekends.
Checking customers in, taking their bags, trouble shooting
Complete Flight crew documents prepare aircraft for boarding
Brief with Flight crew, board guests according to Transport Canada Guidelines.
Hardest part of the job: Working twelve hour shifts, working every holiday. Very physical.
Most enjoyable: Family and team oriented, laughs, fun, and management very supportive.
Pros
took the job seriously but not ourselves
Cons
employees not being treated the way the public is made to believe
Customer Service Agent at YYC (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2016
very disappointed

only way you get anywhere in the company is to know someone or sleep with them .

no job security

too many leads with no experience and not enough employees

nobody to confide in

PACT - doesn't work or help their own when desperately in need
Pros
benefits and friends
Cons
politics / managers not knowing the job hired for
I am looking to have a position which is challenging but yet still place where I can be part of a team
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaSeptember 22, 2016
I work as a Service Sales Agent. I answer calls to assist our Guests with Questions ,Booking of flights, and support each guest however they may need . From taking payments to general inquires.
Pros
Employee Benefits
Cons
My shift hours
Great Place to work
Guest Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 14, 2016
Although salary is just okay, flight benefits and decent work conditions make for a good overall environment. Great culture and very good training. 365 day, 24 hour schedule can make home life a little hard. Best part however is working with great people and meeting many wonderful guests.
Pros
Profit share
Cons
24 hour operation
Excellent Job
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT YVR (Current Employee) –  YVRMay 17, 2016
Customer service is the excellence of WestJet and I have that quality. I participated in several committees during my 10 years and I love to be involved.

I enjoy people and I am an excellent listener and can work as an individual or as a team with ease.
Pros
The culture. To laugh at work is a plus. To excell at work takes effort and I do both
Cons
24 hour shift work is very hard
Fast paced and fun environment
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 9, 2016
I have had the privelige of working for this amazing company for the past decade and cannot imagine my life without them. I've learned so much about human behaviour, air travel and how to connect and communicate with those around me. I'm treated with the utmost respect and appreciation by my management team and I feel very lucky to be such an important part of our success.
Pros
Celebrating Success
Cons
long days/nights
Great people and fun place to work with and our own team room to hang out
GSA Guest Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  YULJuly 27, 2016
Best company for fast advancement with life balance schedule, it is a very family,friendly oriented company and they respect you and value your opinions.
Great company with fantastic values
Sales Super Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 6, 2016
Fun position with a great organization, customer service is number one with WestJet, the people are empowered to resolve any guest concerns. Management are supportive within WestJet. Co-workers are fantastic everyone works are a team and we get the job done.
Great Travel benefits
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ONJuly 6, 2016
Great company but the travel benefits are worth the job. The only I would recommend is to have a second jobs as the pay is difficult to work with.
Pros
Great balance with another jobs and great travel benefits
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 17, 2016
Great company to work for in terms of culture and work environment. For a part time job their benefits are extremely good, you are able to work very flexible hours. Flight benefits are are also really nice also.
Pros
Work environment.
Cons
Lots of days needed to work

4.2