WestJet Airlines Employee Reviews in Canada

Living The Dream
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMarch 9, 2016
A typical workk day includes great conversation with my team and guests in a comfortable, condident environment. I have learned to communicate with anyone and everyone and to problem solve professionally and quicly in high stress situations. I can manage my time well and work effectively with my team as well as unsupervised. My co-workers are a lot of fun and we all share the same goals, providing superior customer service and safetly performing on time. The hardest part of my job is problem solving with difficult people, however, I enjoy it and am successful at it...9 times out of 10...The most enjoyable part of my job is a succesful turn with happy guest and happy co-workers.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Cut Backs and Salary Freeze
Management needs a change
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 29, 2016
WestJet used to be a great place to work. When management still cared about their employees and actually supported the employees. The company has gotten too big too quick and the happiness that used to be going to work is no longer there.
Pros
Travel, health benefits, salary
Cons
management
Great progressive company culture that cares and feels like a family with one mission
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 1, 2015
- WestJet is a canadian top employer offering lots of opportunity to move and develop yourself as an employee
- Built on Excellent core values hiring for fit and training for skill!
- Profitable company that shares profits with it's employees (Owners) twice per year.
- Great travel benefits
- Fun place to work
- Growing and expanding company, Europe 2016
- Great culture to be a part of makes you proud to work there
- They truly do care about you as an individual and the company invests in you which makes you want to give back and do as much as you can to see it succeed.
- it can get tough working in airports, shift work, long hours at times, accommodating weather delays and a variety of emotions from the guests. But it's an opportunity to shine and treat others as you would want to be treated! You are empowered to think on your own feet because your interests are aligned with the company's through ownership and simple caring.
- I very much valued my experience with this company and still feel a part of it now.
Pros
Benefits, Travel, Profit Share, Flexible hours, lots of variety to grow, expanding company, great culture that values its people
Cons
shift work depending on what department, time away from home, must put in the time to earn your way to advancement, hard to get hired as it's a popular place to work
amazing co workers great benefits shift work.
Baggage service agent (Current Employee) –  calgary international airportOctober 10, 2015
Amazing Job fun place to work at times supportive management.Decent amount of red tape and politics that is expected with a small comapny that is now grown to international proportions. Shift work is hard. to be honest and not fo rthe faint of heart. as the business is a 24 hour operation.
Pros
flight benefits.
The life of a Flight Attendant
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 28, 2015
Such an incredible experience. If you love to travel, see new places and meet new people then this is the job for you. You don't typically have that boss over your shoulder although we do hold one another accountable, you are given the empowerment to make those decisions yourself and with your fellow crew members.

The hardest part of the job is definitely the many days away from home, long work days especially in winter with many delays. But because the job itself is so rewarding with 150/days of work per year as FULL TIME and unlimited travel benefits to use during the other 215 DAYS OFF during the year, what more could you ask for!

Your coworkers make the job just that much more enjoyable, so friendly and personable you spend the day starting out as strangers, but becoming the best of friends and it makes you feel as if you aren't even at work !
Pros
Incredible overnight opportunities, never repeat the same day, meet new coworkers daily, bond with your crew members instantaneously, see new places
Cons
Sometimes long days or many days away from home, delays, unruly passengers or potential emergency situations at 40 000ft
great place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 21, 2015
WestJet is a great place to work and wage and benefits are great. Where I work in Hamilton we do not have many flights so we do not get a lot of hours and they are split shifts.
Pros
wage, benefits, esp plan
Cons
split shifts, lack of hours
Great team environment, with freedom to move up.
Turn Around Crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Westjet is known to be one of the best employers in Canada, and my experience is one that speaks truly to that. At Westjet you feel taken care of and looked after, you are part of a family. There is lots of room to move up in the company, the benefits are obviously amazing. The pay is alright, but the Westjet stock makes up for the average wage. Hardest part about the job would be working with Turn Around Crew, you don't often get to engage with customers directly so it can be hard if you aim to please customers. The hours can be wonky, but it's the airlines, what can you expect?
Pros
flight benefits, room to move up, stocks
Cons
Hours
bad practice bad rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 14, 2016
First off this review is in my opinion.

The company has a rather rapey reputation. Flying flight attendants out and having your way with them not good practice.
Also there new method of hiring is cruel at best. They bring in groups of people (around 20) and tell them they are hiring for jobs when they have zero openings and they keep doing this to build a 6 month pool of many people for no jobs and tell you to drop what your doing if they accept you at any point in time within the 6 months.
They have very slightly manipulative management that seem quite childish.
Pros
cheap flights
Cons
nightmare management
Fun
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day at work was checking in guests for flights, helping with flights, bridging aircrafts. I learned how to really deal with people and how much fun you can have at a workplace. My management team I found unsupportive which is why I left. My coworkers were amazing! The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who you couldn't help due to flight schedule, when someone had died and they couldn't get a flight out. That was heartbreaking. Most enjoyable part of my job was meeting a lot of new people and having fun!
IT Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2015
Westjet is a fun place to work. Nice team environmet and great chance to interact with peer co-workers.

This company has great employee benefit plans as well as a friendly culture.

While working at the Helpdesk I was able to work with supervision with the opportunity to engage in few projects outside the service desk team.
Pros
Employees benefits
Cons
Opportunities to growth
Very fun, team oriented and very supportuve
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
Shift work, early mornings, evenings, weekends.
Checking customers in, taking their bags, trouble shooting
Complete Flight crew documents prepare aircraft for boarding
Brief with Flight crew, board guests according to Transport Canada Guidelines.
Hardest part of the job: Working twelve hour shifts, working every holiday. Very physical.
Most enjoyable: Family and team oriented, laughs, fun, and management very supportive.
Pros
took the job seriously but not ourselves
overall was good experience
customer service agent (Current Employee) –  calgarySeptember 17, 2015
really tight on front line staff more linear on upper level,but really good benefits so far i got ever worked for any company
Attitude is Everything!
Guest Services Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ONMarch 23, 2016
My current position is a Monday - Friday, 9-5 which I enjoy very much.
I get along well on a team or working alone.

I love working with Retirement & seniors.
My management team is great!

The only reason I would leave this company is to move up to a better role, & learn more.

Get work done & have fun while doing it!
Treat everyone how you want to be treated.
Fast paced and fun environment
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 9, 2016
I have had the privelige of working for this amazing company for the past decade and cannot imagine my life without them. I've learned so much about human behaviour, air travel and how to connect and communicate with those around me. I'm treated with the utmost respect and appreciation by my management team and I feel very lucky to be such an important part of our success.
Pros
Celebrating Success
Cons
long days/nights
Excellent Job
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT YVR (Current Employee) –  YVRMay 17, 2016
Customer service is the excellence of WestJet and I have that quality. I participated in several committees during my 10 years and I love to be involved.

I enjoy people and I am an excellent listener and can work as an individual or as a team with ease.
Pros
The culture. To laugh at work is a plus. To excell at work takes effort and I do both
Cons
24 hour shift work is very hard
Great Place to work
Guest Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 14, 2016
Although salary is just okay, flight benefits and decent work conditions make for a good overall environment. Great culture and very good training. 365 day, 24 hour schedule can make home life a little hard. Best part however is working with great people and meeting many wonderful guests.
Pros
Profit share
Cons
24 hour operation
Culture of FEAR
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 27, 2016
Do not believe the hype. This is not the Happy Ever After that people talk about. Santa would be dropping a few lumps of coal and not Big Screen TVs. Management has little to no understanding of what goes on, or how to actually manage. Support for fellow co workers is laughable. Favorites are chosen for all new positions and advancement oppertunities go to those that best serve the needs of decision makers. Leadership is kept in the dark and blinded by large payouts. Those that try to bring about change are the first to be pushed out the door and those left behind either cheer for the continued painful changes or are scared to lose what they quietly think is unacceptable. Work rules favor the corporation and are beyond unsafe, fatigue for Pilots and Cabin Crew is a big concern however if you actually call in too tired to work you are given a written warning and threatened. No concideration for the assets, tho they are human, is given while the company uses the cheapest "solutions" for scheduling and pay. Benefits continue to get squeezed and if anyone says anything they are blacklisted and next to be "written up". Sad place to spend the years I did, here's hoping no one else makes the same mistake. Follow your dreams, not the exploitation and segregation that WestJet Offers.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Unsafe Work Conditions
Great company with fantastic values
Sales Super Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 6, 2016
Fun position with a great organization, customer service is number one with WestJet, the people are empowered to resolve any guest concerns. Management are supportive within WestJet. Co-workers are fantastic everyone works are a team and we get the job done.
Great Company and even better people
Training Liaison, Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 16, 2016
This job surrounds you with some pretty amazing people. It is very demanding and the clientele are often less than appreciative but you do earn your thick skin.
Pros
The Team
Cons
Shift work and unpredictable staffing
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 17, 2016
Great company to work for in terms of culture and work environment. For a part time job their benefits are extremely good, you are able to work very flexible hours. Flight benefits are are also really nice also.
Pros
Work environment.
Cons
Lots of days needed to work

4.2